Ruud van Nistelrooy has joined United's coaching staff

Would absolutely love if this was to happen, but I'm not sure I can see RvN leave a manager position for a normal coaching job - even if it is at United.
He doesn’t currently have a manager position.

If anything, he'll be able to show our front line how to create a half chance and score. Hopefully, help Hojlund become a lot more deadly in the box.

Why is that simplistic. Mcclaren used to be England manager.

I meant in regards to replacing Bennie. He’s more than just a striker coach, he’d want to be involved with the overall coaching of the team based off of being a head coach. We wouldn’t give him an apprentice role not with his experience, he would just turn it down.

McLaren example is one of a failed manager reverting back to coach as his career dwindles down and even now I’d be surprised if he is coming up with coaching plays at his age. His role would be far more reduced.

Maybe he can teach our attacking players a thing or two about putting the ball in the back of the net. He'd do wonders for Hojlund and the younger players.

I’d imagine ETH wants him aswell. The club probably mentioned him and ETH agreed to it. If there getting rid of Benni Mccarthy then we need a new ST coach.

Yeah probably it was either suggested to him and he agreed to it or he himself wants him.

If the staff actually want him, well on board with this. I love Ruud. What a player.

Any psv fans on here?
What kind of football did Ruud play there? What kind of support did he want from your management to leave before the end of season on not getting it?

This seems odd considering he is in consideration to become manager in championship. Something must have been promised along with coach role.

Personally, I always thought that in pure finishing Ole was even better. Ruud was obviously better at positioning himself to get on the end of chances and in most other aspects of being a striker (especially being a lone #9) so would score quite a lot more, but if I had to pick one of them to be on the end of a chance to save my life, I'd go for Ole.
Ole said Ruud was better than him by some way on the overlap.

It’s an interesting potential appointment, as others have said very much seems like a ready to go interim/fall back option if ETH can’t get the team firing.

Seems to me a clever play if he wanted to join and then possibly be in a position to be the boss depending how next season goes.

Big decision to make taking over a championship club on his own or joining Uniteds set up.

Why did he leave PSV?

Ruud wasn’t just gifted…he was one of the most intelligent footballers I’ve ever seen. And in his post playing days he’s distinguished himself.

Sign him up!

My favourite ever United striker. In the pub I will still drunkenly fight his corner as the best finisher in PL history.

Be class to see him jumping off the bench celebrating a winner at whatever the gooners call their stadium.

For any of the younger posters who are reading this thread and don’t know a lot about him, watch this video. He was fecking ridiculous. The knock on him was that he was a poacher in comparison to Henry, but look at some of the goals here.

I always love seeing these legendary figures from my childhood coming back to the club in any capacity. There's something so romantic about it. But if he joins, I really do dread the fanbase (online mostly) turning toxic on him. It still leaves a bad in my mouth how toxic the fanbase became and still is to Ole, and its bound to happen to Ruud as well if he's any way connected to United's failures.

We lost Eric Ramsay as First Team Coach so I'd imagine that'd be the role we're looking to fill.

Be surprised if he took it honestly, but who knows what he'll be promised.

Personally, I always thought that in pure finishing Ole was even better. Ruud was obviously better at positioning himself to get on the end of chances and in most other aspects of being a striker (especially being a lone #9) so would score quite a lot more, but if I had to pick one of them to be on the end of a chance to save my life, I'd go for Ole.

I hated our team with Ruud. Great striker, great goal scorer. But made us completely 1 dimensional and once he was marked out of the match we had little else.

We’d probably have 1 or 2 Champions League in that period if we had a forward like Henry, we’d definitely have more than 1 premier league title. Ultimately I think that’s why SAF sold him, yes I know people talk about the argument with a young Ronaldo etc but that was just the excuse SAF used.

I hated our team with Ruud. Great striker, great goal scorer. But made us completely 1 dimensional and once he was marked out of the match we had little else.

We’d probably have 1 or 2 Champions League in that period if we had a forward like Henry, we’d definitely have more than 1 premier league title. Ultimately I think that’s why SAF sold him, yes I know people talk about the argument with a young Ronaldo etc but that was just the excuse SAF used.

Henry wouldn't have made much difference. The Ruud of 2001 - 2003 was as good as anyone in the world at that time and probably the best out and out striker we've ever had.

The issue was Fergie couldn't get the midfield right. He was trying to move us away from 442 with the signing of Veron but it just never quite clicked.

This would be a wonderful move for us, if he gets along well with EtH and agrees to the role.

It also makes me think that maybe Mitchell Van der Gaag is finally leaving, because Nistelrooy would only join us as the second in command and EtH's right-hand man, which I believe is more Mitchell currently than Steve McClaren

I also think that second-in-command at United is a bigger job than being the manager at Burnley, no disrespect to Burnley, but it just is. Look at Arteta's trajectory. He went from being Pep's right-hand man to being Arsenal manager, one of the biggest jobs in Premiership. If EtH and Nistelrooy are successful, in the next three years, he will get bigger job in Premiership, than he ever would after being a Burnley manager

This would be a wonderful move for us, if he gets along well with EtH and would agree to the role.

It also makes me think that maybe Mitchell Van der Gaag is finally leaving, because Nistelrooy would only join us as the second in command and EtH's right-hand man, which I believe is more Mitchell currently than Steve McClaren
I thought Mitchell and McClaren were like equals. Both his assistants. I’d of thought RVN would be coming in as like an attacking coach to replace McCarthy but your probably right he’d only really come to be 2nd in command but if he’s getting job offers elsewhere to be manager then he may turn us down.

Didn't the last Burnley manager get the Bayern job? Who was the last United assistant who got a bigger job than that? Queiroz?