Ruud van Nistelrooy has joined United's coaching staff

RVN has his work cut out after watching today's performance.

I wonder what would be going through his mind watching Garnacho miss a sitter in the end?

RVN has his work cut out after watching today's performance.

I wonder what would be going through his mind watching Garnacho miss a sitter in the end?

In terms of finishing, yes. But I’m sure he’s pleased we created five chances we should’ve buried.

I know it's based on absolutely knowing but I feel like RVN has been a very good appointment. From the glimpses of training videos and his reactions on the sidelines, it actually seems we've got a coach that has some impact on the team. Our attacking play around the box seems to be a bit more nuanced now. I'm probably throwing the previous coaches under the bus here but yeah.

RVN has lots of work to do get us freely scoring like his old days.

On current state, we will lucky to have a player scoring 20 goals season

GVIm4eaXUAIlUBI

Stratford End sung about Ruud often yesterday, to the point he made a gesture towards the players to clap them :lol:

I've been down a little Ruud/Ten Haag YouTube rabbit hole this morning and the clips are quite interesting. It appears to me that Ruud, presumably as he knows what the playing/training standards should be (i.e. how intense they were in his day), is very demanding in training, and of the attackers in particular. There also seem to be (healthy?) challenges to ETH on the touchline.

He seems to have a ruthless edge to him which can only be a good thing given how complacent things seem to have been across the board over the last few years.

Overall he seems to be a good addition to the staff. Whether that's good for ETH and certain others, who knows, but also - who cares, if it's good for the club overall.

If ETH goes I can absolutely see him being the interim. In fact, I’m sure everyone knew what they were doing appointing him.

In his playing days with us, RVN was my fav player and whilst attaching no nepotism, I would like to see him take over (if/when Ineos realise ETH isn't the manager for us) as he 'gets' Utd as a club in terms of how we should play and the succes we crave. I think he will have a positive impact on the forwards in the short term, if they are willing to learn, but this may not be enough to save ETH.

In his playing days with us, RVN was my fav player and whilst attaching no nepotism, I would like to see him take over (if/when Ineos realise ETH isn't the manager for us) as he 'gets' Utd as a club in terms of how we should play and the succes we crave. I think he will have a positive impact on the forwards in the short term, if they are willing to learn, but this may not be enough to save ETH.

Well, I think he will get the interim manager gig here soon enough. I haven't seen his coaching long enough to make an assessment. I just hope we don't repeat the Ole mistake with him.

He has the advantage of the reputation of 'been there, done that' with players, which should mean less likelihood of 'kidd-ology' with players occurring... knowing RVN has 'walked the line' at OT before them.

He can also help our struggling strikers, but it will take time and also to what extent ETH listens to him. Often got the feeling with Steve McClaren, that ETH listened, but didn't hear/heed the advice.

Time will tell.

He has the advantage of the reputation of 'been there, done that' with players, which should mean less likelihood of 'kidd-ology' with players occurring... knowing RVN has 'walked the line' at OT before them.

He can also help our struggling strikers, but it will take time and also to what extent ETH listens to him. Often got the feeling with Steve McClaren, that ETH listened, but didn't hear/heed the advice.

Time will tell.
Sod time.

Why wasn’t he on the pitch with a lasso to prevent Rashford and Zirkzee from being offside?

Let's hope it never comes to Ruud having to takeover this season, as that will mean the team has completely imploded yet again.

Let's hope it never comes to Ruud having to takeover this season, as that will mean the team has completely imploded yet again.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if that's what happens, and it feels like there's an inevitability about it.

Similarly if it transpired that part of Ruud's thinking (maybe even offer) with going from being a manager to accepting an assistant role is that he's a decent chance of a caretaker role at such a big club won't do him any harm at all.

It would also make sense of signing more Dutch/former Dutch league player, if our contingency for EtH not working out is going with Ruud.

I think a better solution would be to turn him into a player-coach.

It would be a shame if ETH is sacked too late to asses Ruud in time before the end of the season, so likely scenario will be ETH fecks up late in the season Ruud takes over, and we have another year to asses him with a clean slate... repeat the whole process for another two years.. and here we start over 15 years after Fergie left. Absolutely incredible decline of this club. Feels like yesterday Moyes was hired.

We lose two of our upcoming games and the odds on him being in before Christmas will be cut considerably. The way we are playing it won't be a shock either.

We lose two of our upcoming games and the odds on him being in before Christmas will be cut considerably. The way we are playing it won't be a shock either.
Be interesting to see if this did happen and did come in as interim would he abandon the current set up in team and playing style.

Put his own stamp on it and completely change our style of football.

What way did his PSV team play when he was in charge?

Played a blinder. He's not here to support Ten Hag. Wants to step in once Ten Hag is inevitably sacked.

People joked when club signed him
but it feels like care taker manager is inevitable

When ETH is sacked, we will be stuck with a glut of Dutch and former Dutch league players, so Ruud would seem the sensible caretaker until a longer term solution is found.

I thought he was supposed to have a positive impact on our attacking play.

Why would you think such a thing knowing that Hojlund and Zirkzee are the options he has to work with ? Also, it’s absurd to think that Ruud’s playing ability would somehow magically transfer itself to players of today who are clearly not anywhere near good as he was 23 years ago.

He hasn’t been here long enough and we have created quite a lot of chances this season compared to last already

Why would you think such a thing knowing that Hojlund and Zirkzee are the options he has to work with ? Also, it’s absurd to think that Ruud’s playing ability would somehow magically transfer itself to players of today who are clearly not anywhere near good as he was 23 years ago.
Hell he might still be better now. Man looks in shape.