Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

RedDevilQuebecois

German consulate in Kiev has been attacked by one of those missiles apparently.
Historical fact... When the US struck the Chinese embassy in Belgrade during the Kosovo War, there were tons of protests in front of US consulates and embassy in China. Some American flags were burned as well. Some people say that US/China relations started to become geopolitically adversarial from that moment onwards.

Asking our German residents here: do you think such attack (if it's indeed confirmed) can spur mass protests in front of Russian consulates and the embassy in Germany, with crowds screaming for a tougher stance against Russia? This has a potential to be the moment when diplomatic relations between both countries become strained enough to go the same route as US vs. China after that bombing in Belgrade.

They have learned nothing since WW1/WW2 indeed.

Last edited:

rpitchfo

This is nothing more than a PR exercise so the progandists have something positive to report on.

militarily…

it achieves nothing
It hardens Ukraine resolve
America happily count the amount of cruise missiles that Russia are wasting
The west have to be seen to do something so expect further sanctions.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Another moot point but it always gets me how so many videos by Ukrainian soldiers still have them speaking Russian language — while Putin's main excuse behind this war were the supposed repressions against Russian-speaking Ukrainians.
Yup, which is somewhat the subject of this thread.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Educate yourself or speak to a Russian/Gypsy/Romanian/Hungarian/Pole that's lived in Ukraine.
My mother-in-law and her side of the family all live in Lviv. All Russian speakers who before ending up in Lviv lived all over Ukraine and the Soviet Union, as dyed-in-the-wool Soviets. Absolute nonsense. All are proud Ukrainians who spoke Russian primarily every single day of their lives.

demetre

Crazy day in Lviv. Arguably the worst since the beginning of the war. Spent all morning sitting in shelter, then when I thought I could check how things outside (doggo needed to pee as well), I heard a big explosion and saw lights go out inside the shelter and as it turned out in the whole city. No electricity, no internet and in some places no water too, absolutely awful. They only restored it two hours ago. So it was only a few hours with candles, which wasn't too bad I guess.

Don't know what exactly russians were trying to say with today's attack. To strike fear? It's soon to be a year of this shit, it's nothing new to us.

Educate yourself or speak to a Russian/Gypsy/Romanian/Hungarian/Pole that's lived in Ukraine.
Sorry, I can't educate myself on this since my country blocked access to RIA or RT (such shame). Maybe you can help me out? It could help me treat my polish neighbour a little better. Cheers mate.

clarkydaz

Crazy day in Lviv. Arguably the worst since the beginning of the war. Spent all morning sitting in shelter, then when I thought I could check how things outside (doggo needed to pee as well), I heard a big explosion and saw lights go out inside the shelter and as it turned out in the whole city. No electricity, no internet and in some places no water too, absolutely awful. They only restored it two hours ago. So it was only a few hours with candles, which wasn't too bad I guess.

Don't know what exactly russians were trying to say with today's attack. To strike fear? It's soon to be a year of this shit, it's nothing new to us.
Stay safe mate, must be horrific to go through this.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Sorry, I can't educate myself on this since my country blocked access to RIA or RT (such shame). Maybe you can help me out? It could help me treat my polish neighbour a little better. Cheers mate.
Stay safe!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Asking our German residents here: do you think such attack (if it's indeed confirmed) can spur mass protests in front of Russian consulates and the embassy in Germany, with crowds screaming for a tougher stance against Russia?
I don't think so. The German office there is just that - one rented office in a huge office building that was hit. It's not comparable to hitting a dedicated building like the embassy, so I don't think anyone in Germany feels that Russia has directly attacked a German asset like in your comparison, this is on a far lower scale. So I don't think this changes much in the public opinion here. About 80% of Germans support supporting Ukraine against Russia and most of them would like to see even more support than we currently give, the Leopard/Marder saga is still ongoing and his reluctance isn't helping Scholz. Although it has to be said that among his party's followers this seems to be the majority that want to be "careful".

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

My father-in-law from Lviv said similar. Seems they tried to attack a power station there, although that was probably just secondary to scaring people. Would be a tragedy if they attempted to destroy the historical centre, as it is a truly beautiful place.

Where do you roughly live in Lviv out of interest?

demetre

My father-in-law from Lviv said similar. Seems they tried to attack a power station there, although that was probably just secondary to scaring people. Would be a tragedy if they attempted to destroy the historical centre, as it is a truly beautiful place.

Where do you roughly live in Lviv out of interest?
I live in the historical centre, so I also hope they wouldn't try to destroy it...

If you know Cantona pub, I live about 100 metres from it. Is your father-in-law still in Lviv?

@clarkydaz and @harms
Thanks guys

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I live in the historical centre, so I also hope they wouldn't try to destroy it...

If you know Cantona pub, I live about 100 metres from it. Is your father-in-law still in Lviv?

@clarkydaz and @harms
Thanks guys
I know of the Cantona pub, yes, but never actually been there to watch a match! Probably should do when I am next there.

Yes, both my wife’s parents and last remaining grandparent are in Lviv still. They have been to visit us a few times this year, but have no intention to leave unless they have to. They have all the documents to live in the UK now at least for a while.

Crazy that we got to Lviv in 2020 and 2021, despite COVID, but we will not get there this year in all likelihood because of Putin. Had great memories taking our son for the first time to Lviv. He loved Strysky Park, FEST’s big open-air beer festival and the aquarium round the corner from you.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Lets just hope that Putin meets his demise and Russia can arrest these TV scumbags and send them to one of the infamous Russian prisons for life. Horrific scumbags.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Meanwhile Lukashenko talks about scum who are trying to drag Belarus into a fight. Somehow this doesn't feel like he talks about Ukraine but about someone else...

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
For all the bluster of that statement, it really does illustrate Russia’s lack of options. It’s an admission that they cannot compete militarily. Come Spring 2023, what chance your average Uke soldier will be prepared to fight. I’d say 100%. Now what about your average mobilised Russian soldier?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He links to another thread at the end, gaming out different scenarios for how this could’ve played out that I found interesting. Basically, if it was a suicide bomber then the train was not quite in the right place and in the rush he didn’t switch to the left lane. Or if remote detonated with the driver unawares instead of over the archway (which would’ve hurt shipping) they did it early because the train was a primary target. I’m wavering on my missile theory.

And while we’re on the subject, it’s being reported in that today’s bombings had been in the works for a while and weren’t in retaliation for the bridge (I don’t think I saw that mentioned here yet). More so they were in response to recent losses and assumed internal pressure from hardliners.

Simbo

I don't think it's anything more complex than Putin having nothing else he can do. Unless he goes nuclear this is all he has - throwing men to their deaths (which will work to some degree if he does it enough) and indiscriminate mass shelling. Even then the reaction is quite tame which makes me think there's stock in the idea they are running low on certain types of missile.
Agree, but literally like every fecking thing Putin does, it only works against his goals and weakens Russia. In a strategic sense, all they've done today is waste ~100 expensive, difficult to replace missiles and strengthened Ukrainian and worldwide resolve against Russian aggression.

frostbite

Here is the main reason for the constant threats of nuclear war: The standard negotiation tactic of the soviet union, and the fact that the West always had people who are willing to offer them something.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The West isn't a country.

Which country should baselessly claim Kalingrad, and what do you want to achieve by that?
Freedonia and because Rufus T. Firefly said so.
I am going to guess 5 people on the Caf get this reference.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The West isn't a country.

Which country should baselessly claim Kalingrad, and what do you want to achieve by that?
Kant’s (famous Russian philosopher) dead body also comes with the territory. Czechia has already announced the annexation though.