Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
Kant’s (famous Russian philosopher) dead body also comes with the territory. Czechia has already announced the annexation though.
There's this joke I think is pretty good, but doesn't really work as text.

A philosopher was on the subway, drinking a beer. A cop noticed him, and let him know it was not allowed. "Come on", the philosopher said, "it's fine, I'm not hurting anyone". "No, but imagine if everyone were drinking on the subway, it would be chaos". The philosopher began losing his patience, and replied "Who do you think you are, fecking Kant?" He was arrested.

You need to pronounce Kant in a certain way.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
There's this joke I think is pretty good, but doesn't really work as text.

A philosopher was on the subway, drinking a beer. A cop noticed him, and let him know it was not allowed. "Come on", the philosopher said, "it's fine, I'm not hurting anyone". "No, but imagine if everyone were drinking on the subway, it would be chaos". The philosopher began losing his patience, and replied "Who do you think you are, fecking Kant?" He was arrested.

You need to pronounce Kant in a certain way.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Real Name

So on some telegram channel info appeared NATO will attack Belarus. Sounds like bs and even if true what would possible be the sane reason behind something like that.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
So on some telegram channel info appeared NATO will attack Belarus. Sounds like bs and even if true what would possible be the sane reason behind something like that.
Lukashenko was talking about Poland potentially attacking Belarus, probably they refer to that.

And there is a sane reason behind that, Lukashenko doesn't want to go to war so he uses this claim to say "sorry Putin, can't go to Ukraine I've got a border to defend"

Real Name

Lukashenko was talking about Poland potentially attacking Belarus, probably they refer to that.

And there is a sane reason behind that, Lukashenko doesn't want to go to war so he uses this claim to say "sorry Putin, can't go to Ukraine I've got a border to defend"
Yeah I meant if he doesnt want to go to war and he's having a classic hold me hold me tactics, there isnt a reason to attack them. And who knows what would be a Russian response to that, they're basically a Russian region.

RoyH1

Lukashenko is a slimy, slippery operator. He’s going to outlive Putin as president I bet.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Lukashenko is a slimy, slippery operator. He’s going to outlive Putin as president I bet.
I'm quite sure he will. I'm just wondering if he will align with the West or with a new Russian government when the time has come.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm quite sure he will. I'm just wondering if he will align with the West or with a new Russian government when the time has come.
I don't think he'll be able to align with the West after what he did to supress the protests 2 years ago.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't think he'll be able to align with the West after what he did to supress the protests 2 years ago.
Who cares? History shows that geostrategic interests are much more important than human rights etc. If Lukashenko should manage to play a role in bringing peace to Ukraine he could have a chance.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Who cares? History shows that geostrategic interests are much more important than human rights etc. If Lukashenko should manage to play a role in bringing peace to Ukraine he could have a chance.
I think this entire conflict shows that you shouldn't make deals with authoritarian dictators for a momentary convenience. Lukashenko's arms are covered in blood of thousands of people.

Lemoor

Belarusians probably care quite a lot. If it wasn't for Putin's support in suppressing protests in 2020, I think he would already be gone.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Love the why do we need Europe part. :lol:
"What have the Euromans ever done for us?"

Whatever the result of this war is, bringing back Russia to something resembling of a West-friendly society is something that will take at least decades.

I hope we get good news from Kherson and/or Kreminna soon.

Real Name

"What have the Euromans ever done for us?"

Whatever the result of this war is, bringing back Russia to something resembling of a West-friendly society is something that will take at least decades.

I hope we get good news from Kherson and/or Kreminna soon.
Yeah, no news whats happening on the front these 2 days or so it seems.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah, no news whats happening on the front these 2 days or so it seems.
Which isn't surprising. Offensives result in a lot of casualties, so Ukraine needs to resupply and refresh their troops. Also it is quite clear that Ukraine grinds down logistics and artillery first before than moving into a space that the Russians can't properly resupply and support. So we will likely see quiet periods where Ukraine hold positions and slowly strikes deep interchanging with actual offensive Operations.

Real Name

Which isn't surprising. Offensives result in a lot of casualties, so Ukraine needs to resupply and refresh their troops. Also it is quite clear that Ukraine grinds down logistics and artillery first before than moving into a space that the Russians can't properly resupply and support. So we will likely see quiet periods where Ukraine hold positions and slowly strikes deep interchanging with actual offensive Operations.
Yeah, makes sense.

harms

Staff
If all it takes is cheap Russian gas to prosper then how come all the countries around Russia that buy the gas even cheaper, and Russia itself, hasn't prospered!?
Probably because the western countries also have the infrastructure and production that can turn that cheap energy into profit?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If all it takes is cheap Russian gas to prosper then how come all the countries around Russia that buy the gas even cheaper, and Russia itself, hasn't prospered!?
Even if you have a solid foundation you still have to build something on top of it.

Abizzz

Probably because the western countries also have the infrastructure and production that can turn that cheap energy into profit?
Even if you have a solid foundation you still have to build something on top of it.
So what's the base for the prosperity then? The commodity that can be replaced or the framework which enables it's exploitation? (Western Europe was rich long before it was "reliant" on cheap Russian gas. Anyone who swallows and repeats that "European prosperity is built on Russian gas" is doing Putin's work in my book).

harms

Staff
So what's the base for the prosperity then? The commodity that can be replaced or the framework which enables it's exploitation?
Both? Why does it have to be exclusive?

If said commodity is replaced but the price goes up and the product is not as profitable anymore, the commodity was crucial.

Abizzz

Both? Why does it have to be exclusive?

If said commodity is replaced but the price goes up and the product is not as profitable anymore, the commodity was crucial.
It doesn't have to be exclusive, however to me saying something is "based" on something else implies it's a prerequisite. When in reality most energy demanding industries (steel, cement, chemicals etc.) have moved outside the EU long ago because even before this war energy was a lot more expensive in the EU than in the US, Canada, Brazil, Australia, Russia, China and likely a few more.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
If I was casting director for a film and they told me 'we got this actor to play the bad terrorist general' I'd say to them that he looks too much the part; if they couldn't get someone who could play it more subtle. He radiates nastiness.
also his name could be in a Dostojewski novel

Water Melon

Belarus is set to join the fray.
Yep, looks very much like it. Shite times for them for the next 50 years. Russia is the richest country in the world when it comes to natural resources. It has enough resources to build back its economy if sanctions are lifted in the future. Belarus will suffer so much more for way longer. Hopefully, Lukashenko is overthrown once Putin is gone.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Ukraine's first IRIS-T SLM air defence battery on the road in Poland last night. Probably operational somewhere in Ukraine in 1-2 days.

And in other news: a Berlin court ruled that a museum is allowed to put a destroyed Russian tank in front of the Russian embassy there. Should become quite a nice picture, that embarassy (forgive me the pun, I couldn't resist)

Tibs

Question:

Why isn't (unless I've just not seen it reported) Russia knocking out all the critical infrastructure in Ukraine at this point. Power plants, water treatment facilities, TV/Radio masts?

Is it a case Putin still thinks he'll take so much land that he needs to keep all that functioning so the country can essentially prosper as an extension of Russia?

RoyH1

Question:

Why isn't (unless I've just not seen it reported) Russia knocking out all the critical infrastructure in Ukraine at this point. Power plants, water treatment facilities, TV/Radio masts?

Is it a case Putin still thinks he'll take so much land that he needs to keep all that functioning so the country can essentially prosper as an extension of Russia?
Maybe they’ve been trying and failing at it? Their military hardware is not as accurate as YouTube edgelords have made us believe over the years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Question:

Its probably the next thing on the list if the Ukrainians keep putting off PR coups like the Kerch bridge, or if Putin simply can't make any progress elsewhere on eastern or southern fronts.

Last edited: