Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

This guy is terrifying - not clear how much influence he's got on Putin, but his geopolitical stratagems have come to fruition for two decades straight

Russia and Eritrea are apparently tight after Russia invested in some sort of logistics center in the country.

I would assume the vast majority of countries not voting yes are either allies or very reliant on Russia, like India.

The list of “no”s predictable.

The abstentions are interesting though. All the south Asian countries in particular. It’s an interesting insight into geopolitics, although I can’t say I really understand the rationale for most.

So Ukraine was right all along when it came to number of casualties. Russia is of course lying, they had 2 deaths till yesterday.
Didn’t Ukraine say the Russian casualties were something like 4,500-5,100?

Why did South Africa abstain? And other African nations in general I guess - but most interested to understand the South African decision.

I would assume the vast majority of countries not voting yes are either allies or very reliant on Russia, like India.
Yeah I think you're right, it definitely seems like it.

The abstentions are interesting though. All the south Asian countries in particular. It’s an interesting insight into geopolitics, although I can’t say I really understand the rationale for most.
South Africa sticks out for me as a big "wtf", hopefully someone has some insight.

This guy is terrifying - not clear how much influence he's got on Putin, but his geopolitical stratagems have come to fruition for two decades straight

What an orgy of nonsense. His main point seems to be that Russia is a superpower and the world is no longer unipolar, which includes him ingnoring the small size of the Russian economy that renders Russia powerless to economic warfare. He seems a bit obtuse to the fact that economic superiority is a vital part of being a superpower.

Why did South Africa abstain? And other African nations in general I guess - but most interested to understand the South African decision.

Quite interesting seen the handful of African countries that did and then the ones who voted in favour.

What an orgy of nonsense. His main point seems to be that Russia is a superpower and the world is no longer unipolar, which includes him ingnoring the small size of the Russian economy that renders Russia powerless to economic warfare. He seems a bit obtuse to the fact that economic superiority is a vital part of being a superpower.
Without the nukes they wouldn't pass for a regional power, as we see demonstrated.

South Africa sticks out for me as a big "wtf", hopefully someone has some insight.

Sometimes countries will abstain when it has got nothing to do with them and they don't want to get involved. I'm not sure about each specific example. It's disappointing to see the biggest recipient of UK foreign aid, Pakistan, not even being willing to support such a significant and clear-cut issue, but then that doesn't surprise me sadly.

Quite interesting seen the handful of African countries that did and then the ones who voted in favour.
I presume most of the abstainers are the ones that receive the most funding from China, Russia and possibly India.

Sometimes countries will abstain when it has got nothing to do with them and they don't want to get involved. I'm not sure about each specific example. It's disappointing to see the biggest recipient of UK foreign aid, Pakistan, not even being willing to support such a significant and clear-cut issue, but then that doesn't surprise me sadly.
Pakistan I understand. There is complexity there due to Kashmir (same with India), and the level of Chinese investment they receive is mammoth in terms of building infrastructure. So can understand why they might tread carefully whilst of course it’s super shite.

I am really keen to understand SA, though.

I think it was over the weekend that someone said that Dugin's main book is what is used at the Russian military academy when I asked WTF are officers being taught. Russian and Chinese military have one thing in common: the teaching of ideological tenets that have no use whatsoever for the modern battlefield.

Sounds like deluded Russian exceptionalism. The US is no longer a unique power but it’s little to do with Russia in Syria and Ukraine and everything to do with China being an economic behemoth and growing military power.

Full marks for using some of our silly philosophical traditions against us though.

Some interesting countries in the abstention vote. Curious to know why certain African, Arab and Middle eastern countries voted with the west and others don't.
Out of 22 Arab states, 3 are abstaining (Sudan, Iraq and Algeria), Syria voted against. All the others voted for the resolution.

Even the UAE that abstained in the UNSC seems to have voted differently this time. I can't work that out. There was talk about them having brokered a deal with Russia so that Russia doesn't veto the extension of the UNSC resolution banning weapon export to Yemen. Maybe that deal doesn't cover the GA vote. UNSC votes are the only binding ones.

Out of the 55 African states, there are about 10 abstentions (including Sudan, Algeria, Angloa, South Africa, Congo) most of them are historically non-allied countries. And they still abstain on almost every vote. Not much else to read into it. I think that the 2 biggest African countries -Nigeria and Egypt- voting for the resolution sends a powerfull message. It's not "the West plotting against Russia".

If there is no mark whatsoever, what does that mean? Did not vote at all?
Yes. Absentees. This is an emergency special session. Some countries might not have resident ambassadors, or ones that didn't care enough to disrupt their own calender.

Didn’t Ukraine say the Russian casualties were something like 4,500-5,100?
Yes. But we know that Russia lies a lot (for example they had only 2 deaths by yesterday).

The fact they went so high instead of a laughable 10 deaths or so means that there are a lot of casualties.

Out of 22 Arab states, 3 are abstaining (Sudan, Iraq and Algeria), Syria voted against. All the others voted for the resolution.

Even the UAE that abstained in the UNSC seems to have voted differently this time. I can't work that out. There was talk about them having brokered a deal with Russia so that Russia doesn't veto the extension of the UNSC resolution banning weapon export to Yemen. Maybe that deal doesn't cover the GA vote. UNSC votes are the only binding ones.

Out of the 55 African states, there are about 10 abstentions (including Sudan, Algeria, Angloa, South Africa, Congo) most of them are historically non-allied countries. And they still abstain on almost every vote. Not much else to read into it. I think that the 2 biggest African countries -Nigeria and Egypt- voting for the resolution sends a powerfull message. It's not "the West plotting against Russia".

Yes. Absentees. This is an emergency special session. Some countries might not have resident ambassadors, or ones that didn't care enough to disrupt their own calender.

Egypt is on the wrong side of Russia in Libya I think?

Actually surprised at Iran abstaining. One of the big ironies is that they may see their own sanctions lifted in return for a shit load of their oil and gas flooding the market. Now would be the time to push a deal through with them in the US (who knows though).

You're exactly right about the Yemen resolution connection when it comes to the UAE's vote. They're the driving force for a resolution that will designate the Houthis a terrorist groups, but have significant impact in that messy conflict. They've been tying up support for the resolution for months, including some additional arms purchases from France and the UK to ensure their votes (or at least not veto), but when it comes to Russia it was this quid pro quo on the Ukraine UNSC vote that sealed their vote on Yemen.

Who does the senseless killing of Civillians , and non-hostile places benefit?

• Russia face more sanctions/opposition via worldwide media and increased resistance from the Ukranian military/people.
  • Ukraine gain the backing of the western world + beyond, Nato & EU support.
I'm not implying a conspiracy theory, I'm trying to understand the Russian viewpoint that they've not in any shape committed these war crimes.

The argument this man makes is an intelligent viewpoint, and with any disagreement or conflict it is necessary to understand the ability to be proven incorrect.

The first bit about Zelensky should be that he's still alive. I doubt he has much knowledge of how to run a war, but the fact that he is still not dead is a big boost for the morale and enthusiasm of those actually doing the fighting.

The rationale imho is very logical.

They get the best of both sides.

The west arent going to care about some minnows going abstain, and they got some credit from the russia, no matter how small.

Win win.

Not like the west gonna sanction or rewars them anyway.