Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Zelinsky's position is that Ukrainians won't give up an inch of Ukrainian land, which is the correct position.

Good on him. In fairness, it's an easier position to take when they're doing what is ultimately their version of winning. Hopefully, we don't have to find out if that remains if the conditions worsen on the ground.

I agree with you. If Russias conditions are honestly just independence for the 2 breakaway regions, recognition of Crimea as russian and ukranian neutrality. Ukraine should take that.

That would only embolden Putin, unless perhaps all sanctions remain in place for an extended period of time.

What can China do if Putin is planning to destroy the world? The entire China/Xi will stop him is such nonsense. China can control Russian's economy now after the sanctions, but if Putin is going all nuke, what can China do. 'Hey Vladimir, we won't buy from you and Russia, neither give you loans after 6000 nukes hit Russia' does not seem a very sensible threat. In an all nuclear war, it is actually extremely likely that China will be subject to that too.

So China stopping Russia makes sense only if we are talking about a rational Russia. If Russia has gone irrational (by that I mean Putin crazy, and no willing mechanisms to remove him), then there is not much China can do.
“Crazy” Russia will nuke us all eventually, might as well defend Ukraine then.

What aren’t you willing to concede to a crazy dictator threatening to end the world?

Do we have to keep posting Marco Rubio tweets? It's not like they have any new information, it's literally just Marco Rubio's take on events.
I find them interesting, he sits on some intel committee doesn't he?

This whole accepting giving parts of Ukraine to Russia business is crazy.

Imagine it in England for a second, we'll just take Lancashire and Yorkshire please and you can keep the rest. The way people just back down due to threats is mental.

I actually agree we shouldn't be sending troops, but let's leave the decision on what Ukraine should accept to Ukranians maybe?

Of course the final decision is up to them, but I don't think it's wrong to debate what you would personally accept if you were Ukrainian.

If Zelenskyy says no land given, then no land is given and I fully support it.

That said, it's taken the Russians so fecking long to restock that I am slowly losing the will to live. Just give me that Russian passport....

Just making the point that if you let Russia land grab state by state, at what point do you decide it’s time to intervene?

Georgia, Crimea, Ukraine…Lithuania, Slovakia, Estonia, Romania?

If they do it incrementally, one per decade before letting relations settle and the world adjust to the new normal and then move onto the next you will always have people saying “it’s not worth it they have nukes”.

So many places to denazify.

The EU would accept...
What makes you think that it is up to the EU to decide where and how Ukraine is carved up.

I am not thinking anything, I am just parroting “experts” discussing this matter on TV… the level is not different from twitter experts or this same topic… only the US intelligence seems consistently getting it right, and if nobody relevant is making stupid declarations any more it is because (“experts” are saying right now…) they are all trying to broker some deal.

Surely if Putin is not after the whole of Ukraine, it's 'smarter' for him to do his scorched Earth approach and get peace. His budget can hardly handle rebuilding Ukraine as well.

“Crazy” Russia will nuke us all eventually, might as well defend Ukraine then.

What aren’t you willing to concede to a crazy dictator threatening to end the world?
I don’t know what that has to do with the post. China can do nothing to stop Putin if he has gone crazy, that was my point there. They can pressure him economically if economy still matters for him though.

I simply don't agree with that.

He's not going to attack the UK and invade us. We aren't of interest to him.

He's also not going to nuke us or he'd get the same back ten fold.

So no he's not much of a threat to us specifically. He's more of a threat to Europe as a whole than just us.

This whole accepting giving parts of Ukraine to Russia business is crazy.

Imagine it in England for a second, we'll just take Lancashire and Yorkshire please and you can keep the rest. The way people just back down due to threats is mental.

I actually agree we shouldn't be sending troops, but let's leave the decision on what Ukraine should accept to Ukranians maybe?

That’s not a helpful comparison. Britain is an island with, needless to say, fixed borders, and, within that, England is just about the oldest nation state in Europe. Ukraine has existed an independent entity since 1991 and only for very brief periods before then. It is a separate nation rather than an appendage to Russia or Poland but I don’t see the reason for an absolutist view of its territorial scope when the price is so high. If they emerge without Crimea and potentially without the Donbass but with a meaningful NATO security guarantee and a roadmap to EU integration (and without their country being razed while we cheer them on from armchairs in Western Europe), that is a big strategic win in the grander scheme of things.

I don’t know what that has to do with the post. China can do nothing to stop Putin if he has gone crazy, that was my point there. They can pressure him economically if economy still matters for him though.
Russia is going to heavily rely on China for everything it’s being denied by the West. China can shut down the Russian economy at this point.

He’s burning his bridges with his biggest ally, and acting like all this only effects Western Europe. Local skirmishes are one thing, I doubt the BRICS countries want to see a wider conflict.

That’s not a helpful comparison. Britain is an island with, needless to say, fixed borders, and, within that, England is just about the oldest nation state in Europe. Ukraine has existed an independent entity since 1991 and only for very brief periods before then. It is a separate nation rather than an appendage to Russia or Poland but I don’t see the reason for an absolutist view of its territorial scope when the price is so high. If they emerge without Crimea and potentially without the Donbass but with a meaningful NATO security guarantee and a roadmap to EU integration (and without their country being razed while we cheer them on from armchairs in Western Europe), that is a big strategic win in the grander scheme of things.
They will be losing most of their natural resources. After what the botox has done, they are not letting the Crimea and Donbass to be taken away from them.

Of course the final decision is up to them, but I don't think it's wrong to debate what you would personally accept if you were Ukrainian.
There is no ceiling to Putin’s demands. And unfortunately it’s not only Putin. The regime in Moscow seems to be on the same line. The propaganda machine currently at work in Russia will make sure there is enough support to “denazify” other countries if needed.

As I said before, if we give him yet another win he (Putin or whoever replaces him) will be back in 5/10 years for more.

He is invading Ukraine because he keeps winning. Because the West keeps retreating and allowing him to win his wars. The West did let Putin win in Chetchenya, they let him win in Georgia, he is winning in Syria. He was already given a first win in Ukraine when we all forget about Crimea. If we give him the Donbas, he will ask for the rest of Ukraine next, and who knows how far this goes. It is about time the EU and other NATO countries say no.

Russia is going to heavily rely on China for everything it’s being denied by the West. China can shut down the Russian economy at this point.

He’s burning his bridges with his biggest ally, and acting like all this only effects Western Europe. Local skirmishes are one thing, I doubt the BRICS countries want to see a wider conflict.
As I said yes, if those things matter.

If he has lost it, then China cannot help. Only his cronies can.

A Versailles arrangement would not be the end of the world.

What was imposed on Germany in 1918 was less than what Germany imposed on France in 1871. And Weimar was a flourishing state until the 1930s.
The problem is though that Russia bears a lot of resentment to the West following the collapse of the USSR and so yet another defeat and a collapsed economy would add yet more fuel to the fire.

He should challenge them to a game of hockey to settle matters. He's really good:

He set his final cog into motion after talking to chinese president at the olympics. He must've been well reassured to start this, so if anyone can stab him in the back right now, it's them.

They will be losing most of their natural resources. After what the botox has done, they are not letting the Crimea and Donbass to be taken away from them.

Crimea is gone for good - I can’t imagine any scenario short of WWIII where Russia hands it back. Donbass is probably retrievable as it is more of a pretext for Russia rather than something they genuinely care about.

FFS if I see Putler or Botoxface one more time then I hope Facelift Squidward just presses the red button and blows me up.

What choice will they have?
Fight on, not give up. Frankly, they could, and at the end of everything, they can all come to Europe, which is surely ten times better than the Ukraine anyway. Obviously not home, but away from MadVlad and in countries where they will have more opportunity.

As I said yes, if those things matter.

If he has lost it, then China cannot help. Only his cronies can.

I don't know how realistic it is that China apply pressure to those around him aka do something or we can no longer continue to provide economic support.

FFS if I see Putler or Botoxface one more time then I hope Facelift Squidward just presses the red button and blows me up.
Sorry to inconvenience your Redcafe reading experience. Putler is a cnut though.

Crimea is gone for good - I can’t imagine any scenario short of WWIII where Russia hands it back. Donbass is probably retrievable as it is more of a pretext for Russia rather than something they genuinely care about.
I know that Crimea is gone. What I was implying at was that after the botox face's actions, Zelenskyy is not going to give those areas away formally.

Putin and his war crimes targeting civilian buildings and killing children is disgusting.