Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Does it matter what we think? The West literally promised MG and Russia back then not to move an inch to the East, yet NATO have added several ex-Soviet states under its wings since then and for the past 15-20 years have been flirting with Russia's closest neighbour. For a nationalist like Putin that is a breach of trust and a threat.

Ofcourse it matters what we think. Lets be realistic here, Russia already has borders to NATO countries and they've had them there for quite some time. There's no threat, it's not like "The West" actually wants to invade Russia or level it to the ground, at all. The aggressive party has been Russia for quite some time, not just in terms of cyberattacks and fecking around with elections, but also in terms of actual invasions and supporting a certain knobhead in Belarus, which goes a long way of explaining why countries such as Ukraine would prefer to be a part of western civilization rather than being run by Putin. It's like the annoying twat from school who hasn't changed in 30 year, the rest of the world is well past the bullshit that Putin is spinning. We'd like nothing more than for Russia to get it's act together and be a large part of a well functioning world with global markets and trade. There's little room for this desperation for conflict.

I think the TB2 can only carry 4 missiles at a time. it'd probably do enough damage to slow them down for a bit, but you'd need a swarm of them hitting that convoy to stop it. The USAF used cluster munitions against the retreating Iraqi army.

Yeh I think the main question is if there is any air force that could do a bombing run, but it is likely well protected.

One of the few movies I ever stopped halfway through & never revisited.
I'm sorry it didn't have any penises on fire to keep you entertained. Jason Isaac's full on Yorkshire accent as he portrays a Russian war hero is absolute gold. "Out me fookin way".

Imagine the paranoia and fear individual members of his inner circle must have of approaching one of their colleagues to organize something, with the hope that they are on their side and not on Putin's
I'd hope at this point that they already know who to trust after coming out of frequent meetings with Putin where he's been completely barmy.

It kind of feels like the only way that this will truly end peacefully.

I'm sorry it didn't have any penises on fire to keep you entertained. Jason Isaac's full on Yorkshire accent as he portrays a Russian war hero is absolute gold. "Out me fookin way".

I'd hope at this point that they already know who to trust after coming out of frequent meetings with Putin where he's been completely barmy.

What can I say, I am a simple man.

From the BBC

During his evening programme tonight, Russian state TV presenter Dmitry Kiselyov delivered a monologue in which he posed the question: "why do we need a world if Russia's not in it?"

He was considering President Putin’s announcement today that he is putting Russia’s nuclear forces on high alert.
"In total our submarines are capable of launching over 500 nuclear warheads, which guarantees the destruction of the US and all Nato countries to boot," he said on his Vesti Nedeli show.

"That's according to the principle 'why do we need a world if Russia's not in it?'
"Russia's nuclear weapons are also delivered by the fastest strategic bombers in the world," he said, adding that "we won't even talk about our Strategic Rocket Forces".

"In total, Russia's nuclear capability is the most powerful in the world," he said.
"Now Russia's entire nuclear triad has been placed on special alert. Putin warned them. Don't try to frighten Russia."

Rough start in the morning having to console my flatmate crying because his family is in Odessa.

Right, where does a war hero get a bloody drink around here?

I see a lot of parallels here with the Cuban missile crisis. The US couldn't condone Russian missiles on Cuban soil in the same way Russia is not going tolerate NATO missiles in Ukraine. So this was a preemptive strike to quell the risk before it got out of hand.

This video helped me to at least understand Putin's perspective.

RT still have a few people ready to parrot their message it seems.

Or like this

What I always liked about this movie is the depiction about how well executed the rest of the operation was designed to be. In just a matter of minutes, the German Resistance controlled all key districts of Nazi power. The only thing that derailed the whole plan was a stroke of (bad) luck as to where the bomb was last displaced.

The perspective still equally applies. Ukraine is just the step too far from his point of view given the historical and geographical situation.
Allow a retort.
1) What does Putin mean by missiles? Nuclear missiles like his comparison to Cuba? First of all, NATO does not currently and did not, to my understanding, have nuclear weapons deployed in any of the Baltic states or Eastern Europe. And certainly the deployment and conditions of those weapon deployments would still be open to negotiations and additional treaties. He didn’t need to invade Ukraine to start negotiations , NATO and the US were clear we were open to security talks with them to avert an invasion. Look at his written demands - full withdrawal of NATO forces and treaties to pre 1997 and a guarantee Ukraine would never join NATO.
2) On Ukraine - Ukraine did not, does not, and for the foreseeable future will not be eligible for NATO. For starters, the don’t meet many requirements - but as long as Ukraine still recognizes Donbas, Luhansk and Crimea as territorial disputes because if they joined NATO they could immediately invoke article 5 to take them back. That’s world war 3.
3) Pre 1997 borders. You saw his pudgy little hands twitch and throw down the paper in that video - but let’s be clear. He’s right, there are some sources that contend that verbally there were NATO wouldn’t extend east - but it’s contentious and disputed. But let’s get really accurate, when it comes to buying a house or a car, nobody relies on verbal conversations. The fact that Yeltsin never got it in writing is an indictment of Yeltsin, not NATO. This is like someone saying, “Hey, my uncle was drunk 20 years ago and wasn’t paying attention when he signed those papers to buy this crap used car, you told him it was great car verbally, so I’m coming up there with a gun to demand justice.” Being pissed off that you didn’t get in writing 30 years ago wouldn’t get any of us anywhere.
4) There’s a distinct reason that Poland, Hungary, Romania and the Baltics (and Ukraine) want to be a part of NATO. When Putin compares that to Canada and Mexico - there’s a distinct difference - The US didn’t occupy them and crackdown on independence movements like the USSR (aka Moscow) did in Hungary, Lithuania, Poland and the Czech Republic in the 50s,60s, 70s, 80s and 90. Cuba is certainly a different case - but again go to point #1 we haven’t deployed nuclear weapons there the way the USSR did. Let Putin ask himself instead, why are Mexico, Canada and Ireland not standing in line and falling all over themselves to join a military alliance with Russia? Why are all the former Soviet republics desperate to join NATO?
5) NATO expansion happened in 1997, and he’s only now pissed off enough to start a war? What happened recently? Had NATO done anything? The answer is an emphatic NO. NATO was as fractured as it’s ever been after Iraq and Afghanistan and f*cking Trump. There was absolutely no chance NATO was going to admit Ukraine anytime soon. So what changed? Not a provocation from NATO or the West - but rather an opportunity for Putin to strike while NATO is frazzled and not unified. He wasn’t threatened or feel an intense pressure, he’s taking advantage of our most vulnerable point in 60 years, after f*cking Trump’s nonsense after Putin messed around in internal US politics.
6) Oh, what a victim. These petty politicians with their grievances and victim mentality. Russia always tried to work with the West. Bullshit. The West certainly could’ve done better supporting the economies of the post-Soviet nations, but Russia’s descent into a kleptocracy/mafia state is the model Russia adopted - and the model that they actively spread, and still try to proactively spread, to their satellite states - is NOT the fault of the West. It’s the fault of Russia, and their fault for actively promoting this as their nation-building policy. Look at Belarus, Moldova, etc. These are Putin’s “success stories”. This is what he wants for Ukraine, the Baltics, Hungary, Romania, Czech Republic, etc. Take a look at what he’s selling … failed kleptocracy/mafia states with an autocratic leader and oligarchs in control of everything, or else. People can, and should, have critiques of the US, the EU and the west but whose used car would you buy? Ours or theirs?

Last edited:
Political scientist from RAND Corporation:

It's really time for Russia to up its game and end the war. And I mean the citizens of Russia to kick out and jail Putin. He is not only destroying Ukraine but Russia too.

I really hope that mass strikes and protests will start taking place.

If he is going to escalate he is going to escalate. If not now then next time he bites off more than he can chew. Unfortunately you can’t just keep being held hostage to the threats of Putin indefinitely.

As others have said, the best solution now would be for the Russians to step up and remove him.