Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Hectic needs to make a "how would you cope in a post-nuclear warfare world" thread

Weren't Yugoslavia removed from Euro 92 during their war, through which Denmark qualified and won?

Following a UN sanction. (If only Russia and China weren't on the SC)

Also, Yugoslavia as a country didn't exist by that point (not as the world knew it 5-10 years prior).

With all the countries around the world which are condemning Russia, will China be seeing the potential and drop Vlad as they won't want to be associated?

Nah China is loving this leverage. Russia will have to be attached like a umbilical cord to China. They are literally on their knees with China if everyone else cuts them off.

Seems the Russians have been simply sending their forces into Ukraine to die or get captured with no evidence of any ability to feed or house them once in country. If a Russian armor vehicle were to leave Belarus or Russia to attack Ukraine, there's no where for them to stop, refuel, fix broken things, facilities to sleep, shower, be fed etc. A total disaster in planning by the Russian military so far.

Isnt that the basic Soviet philosophy? Designed for very short battle exposure?

Like their aircrafts for example are designed for like 4 hrs of battle because of the Soviet philosophy of swarming the NATO front lines in overwhelming numbers? Rather than a more precision approach. They don't expect their pilots or aircrafts to survive long.

As a result the Soviet hardware design philosophy is always cheap and in mass. So less thought is put into even the maintenance engine and parts. So they rather just replace entire engines instead of repair in a lot of cases.

He is losing the war. Everything shows that he's miscalculated this or was misled by intelligence telling him what he wanted to hear.

Hopefully, the CIA has got some backchannel thing going on to ensure a bloodless Palace coup would happen and prevent him from going nuclear.
It’s what, day 4? He obviously hasn’t just sent his entire military to Kyiv. As much as I wouldn’t want it to be true it just sadly isn’t. He might have miscalculated how much it would take, but it’s bonkers to think it means his underlying objective will have changed. He just has to throw more at it, sadly.

Countries should be limited to 500 nukes. USA and Russia having 6000+ goes beyond it being a deterrent.

The good that wasted money could do to their countries pisses me off.

BBC:

Ukraine's military has just given an update on Sunday's fighting.

Writing on Facebook, the general staff of Ukraine's armed forces described Sunday as "a difficult time" for the military, saying Russian troops "continue shelling in almost all directions".

Latest reports suggest Russian troops have taken Berdyansk, a southern port, but earlier Ukraine said it had fought back an attack on the country's second biggest city, Kharkiv.

I mean wasn't world war one just a series of smaller events that led to a huge war that no one saw coming? Alliances and escalations led to a full blown war.

Add in Putin who's had 20 years of getting what he wants with no rebuke, with no domestic pressure and surrounded by yes men and you have the tinderbox.
Precisely. But, it’s also a straw man to just compare to WW1 and WW2. Things are obviously hugely different now, not least because attacking the economy is not only easier but also more effective. Notwithstanding that though, at the heart of the issue, what you’re saying is absolutely correct.

That's rather condescending of you, implying to an Indian that he should let something that happened half a century ago define his foreign policy views today.

Why? You don't know what my connections to India are.

Isnt that the basic Soviet philosophy? Designed for very short battle exposure?

Like their aircrafts for example are designed for like 4 hrs of battle because of the Soviet philosophy of swarming the NATO front lines in overwhelming numbers? Rather than a more precision approach. They don't expect their pilots or aircrafts to survive long.

As a result the Soviet hardware design philosophy is always cheap and in mass. So less thought is put into even the maintenance engine and parts. So they rather just replace entire engines instead of repair in a lot of cases.

I don't think that's a very accurate assessment.

There must be additional authorization needed for a first strike to be ordered if we're talking about the nuclear option here. I'd understand a quick response time is needed to retaliate but surely Putin doesn't have the power to simply press the button whenever he feels like it?
I don’t think we know how that works in Russia but for US to launch them president’s order is enough.

Countries should be limited to 500 nukes. USA and Russia having 6000+ goes beyond it being a deterrent.

The good that wasted money could do to their countries pisses me off.
Absolutely not saying that reducing nuke numbers is not for the positive, but how many? 500 you say. Why not 100? Or 1000? It’s a fantasy world where having a nuclear cap would work. By definition, the point of having nukes in the first place is what would cause such a measure to fail.

That's why the US tomahawked Iraq into stone age before sending mass of troops on the ground. I'll never forget those images, it was mesmerizing and frightening at the same time.

It's amazing to think that in WW2 they would have required like 200 aircrafts just to hit one target with the loss of 20-40% of those aircrafts -- never mind the inaccuracies of the bombing and the collateral damages.

If Putin was left with two choices, either concede victory to Ukraine or nuclear armageddon, which would he choose? I tell you know, he'd go with the latter.

I'd say there is maybe a 1% chance, but even that is terrifying enough

he controls most of the Russian media, and historically if things have gone bad he just spins it in his favour and carries on as normal..

probably take a small piece of Ukraine and claim victory and that was the plan all along

As others have said, the best solution now would be for the Russians to step up and remove him.
It's the only real solution as I can't imagine the cluster fek of a mess if Russia was to fragment and loose central control .... all the separate regions... thousands of nukes.... loads of nuclear power stations.... would be such a mess

It's obvious that it's horrendous that Russia has invaded Ukraine. They should get out now. It's a crime.
But where was this condemnation when Iraq was invaded and bombed to stone age?

I don’t think we know how that works in Russia but for US to launch them president’s order is enough.
As others have mentioned whilst this might be principally true, the reality of it is it would require a number of people to effect this before it went through. It isn’t simply a man with a key card and a button. In the case of Russia, it might require the same number of people in the chain, but the difference is it’s also very likely that over the last few decades Putin might have already got yes men in all those positions, which is possible but highly improbable in the US.

Is anyone else concerned about how much of what we've been hearing so far is contradicted by the Klitschko statement saying that they're surrounded?

Are we being fed information far more optimistic than the reality of the situation?
Yep absolutely. Would love it not to be so but we're also susceptible to state disinformation here. Not to anything like the same extent but I always take reporting with a pinch of salt.

He actually went back on his "surrounded" comment.

They are not far off that point anyway so its splitting hairs.

You can believe the situation reports however, there is real time satalite imagary backing up the state of things along with the army of analysts on twitter trying to veryify stuff. Also note that things do change by the hour.

It's obvious that it's horrendous that Russia has invaded Ukraine. They should get out now. It's a crime.

The condemnation was everywhere. Opposition denied the US a second resolution, and millions protested and marched throughout the world, including in the US and the UK. Turkey closed its borders to US troops too.

This just isn’t the thread for this, but if you can’t appreciate the differences between the two (and I’m not saying I agree with Iraq by the way), then it’d be a pointless debate with you in ANY thread. Oh and by the way, there was plenty of condemnation for Iraq - before, during and after.

Are the two situations exactly the same?

I don't think so. It has to be ratified and confirmed by two more others. The current Chairman of JCs made sure that the uniformed officer who has to confirm it didn't do it without referring to him.

Not sure about George Bush but I'm pretty sure some are still trying to convict Tony Blair for war crimes

Is Iraq being invaded right now?

As others have mentioned whilst this might be principally true, the reality of it is it would require a number of people to effect this before it went through. It isn’t simply a man with a key card and a button. In the case of Russia, it might require the same number of people in the chain, but the difference is it’s also very likely that over the last few decades Putin might have already got yes men in all those positions, which is possible but highly improbable in the US.
Yeah and I’m frankly not that certain anymore that they wouldn’t resort to that. We are all projecting how there must be someone within his circle who would stop this but chances are there isn’t.

I'd say there is maybe a 1% chance, but even that is terrifying enough

he controls most of the Russian media, and historically if things have gone bad he just spins it in his favour and carries on as normal..

probably take a small piece of Ukraine and claim victory and that was the plan all along
It’s painful to say but i really do think the odds are way above 1%.

There was lots of condemnation at the time, loads of marches if I remember right.

That's a taboo subject here mate, We're only discussing The Easts sins here, the West have a legitimate excuse for all their killing of innocents.

I see a lot of parallels here with the Cuban missile crisis. The US couldn't condone Russian missiles on Cuban soil in the same way Russia is not going tolerate NATO missiles in Ukraine. So this was a preemptive strike to quell the risk before it got out of hand.

This video helped me to at least understand Putin's perspective.

it's nothing like the Cuban missile crisis?

if NATO wanted to put nukes on the Russian border they could have done it already, in one of the countries in NATO that borders Russia

it's just a power hungry dictator who wants more land for his empire