Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

I see a lot of parallels here with the Cuban missile crisis. The US couldn't condone Russian missiles on Cuban soil in the same way Russia is not going tolerate NATO missiles in Ukraine. So this was a preemptive strike to quell the risk before it got out of hand.

This video helped me to at least understand Putin's perspective.

Whoa. That’s huge!

How would this even work? Not worth much without extra pilots, and wouldn’t they need to be trained in the specific fighter as well?

Good point. Because Ukraine only has Russian manufactured jets and none of the EU countries do.
Germany inherited a number of Mig 29 jets from East Germany. But these were retired some time ago and were not seen as particularly good.
I have to say that I am a bit sceptical about this announcement.

I'm starting to think the western world saw a chance to get rid of Putin once and for all, when the invasion stalled so quickly. Now they are doing everything they can to end his reign.

Let's hope so!

I'm starting to think the western world saw a chance to get rid of Putin once and for all, when the invasion stalled so quickly. Now they are doing everything they can to end his reign.
Same vibe here. A golden and morally justified opportunity to probably eliminate Russia as a geopolitical rival for the foreseeable future.

If I had to take a guess maybe some EU countries have old models that Ukrainian pilots already have experience with. But I can't find a more detailed article on this development. News is moving fast and such developments are probably first mentioned on Twitter.

Sounds reasonable. Maybe also a case of pilots being capable of flying most planes, but really excelling with their own models.

[
Good point. Because Ukraine only has Russian manufactured jets and none of the EU countries do.
Germany inherited a number of Mig 29 jets from East Germany. But these were retired some time ago and were not seen as particularly good.
I have to say that I am a bit sceptical about this announcement.
I belive Slovakia still has som mig-29s

Whatever was holding Europe back from cutting its dependence on Russia, those doubts or complacency are probably all gone now.

If anything good comes of this I hope it’s the move to renewable energy. I know here in Ireland we have enormous potential with offshore wind farms but they keep getting refused because of being an eyesore but it’s time we powered through that nonsense and just start doing it

I see a lot of parallels here with the Cuban missile crisis. The US couldn't condone Russian missiles on Cuban soil in the same way Russia is not going tolerate NATO missiles in Ukraine. So this was a preemptive strike to quell the risk before it got out of hand.

Ukraine were a long way from joining NATO. The Cuban missile crisis occurred during the Cold War when America was under threat and missiles were about to be stored in a country with a dictator. The situation here is different. The only point of view from Putin was that he didn’t like things going his way.

If we're learned anything about the past week, its that Putin's previous chest thumping about NATO was nonsense. He has wanted to invade and annex Ukraine all along to advance his neo-imperialist agenda, and NATO expansion was the perfect excuse for him to build a propaganda narrative around to justify that goal.

Undererstimating arms sellers to sell arms would be quite something. If you are Dassault or Airbus you have to lobby for it.
Aren't they providing them for free or did I misunderstood.

So you know what kind of information circulates on the other side, the Russian defense minister made a statement saying the Ukraine started to use white phosphorus bombs. It's very hard to navigate in this propaganda ocean.

His perspective? I'm still struggling to understand why he says Ukraine is run by Nazis and why he's threatening to end life on earth. Do you have a vid on that?

Thanks Vlad.

So you know what kind of information circulates on the other side, the Russian defense minister made a statement saying the Ukraine started to use white phosphorus bombs. It's very hard to navigate in this propaganda ocean.

It's likely bullshit, but as we know, Russia uses bullshit as excuse or pretext for escalation. False flags and lies are part of their playbook.

I just hope Putin doesn't use it as a pretext to deploy a tactical nuke in Ukraine, or things are going to get really ugly.

Good video. It's very hard for us Europeans to understand what the hell is going through Putin's mind, but this has been brewing since the fall of the Soviet Union. The West literally promised Russia not to move an inch to the East, yet since then Czech Rep, Poland and the Baltics among others has been included in NATO. And NATO's flirt with Ukraine, pretty much on their doorstep, is probably what made Putin tip over. I've read that several Western high-ranking military officials warned about including Ukraine in NATO as they couldn't guarantee to completely secure the Eastern front border, yet the political side of NATO pretty much ignored those warnings and continued the flirt.

What Krushchev of Russia was actually not happy about was the basing of US ballistic nuclear missiles in Turkey. And had a willing partner in Castro of Cuba, a communist country.
While JFK is credited with forcing Russia to withdraw their ballistic missiles from Cuba hy naval blockade, in actual fact, the US agreed to withdraw their ballistic missiles from Turkey as well.

His perspective? I'm still struggling to understand why he says Ukraine is run by Nazis and why he's threatening to end life on earth. Do you have a vid on that?
Have a little search on Stephan Bandera, that's a huge part of the Nazification of Ukraine, or at least it's supposed Nazification, according to Putin.

Aren't they providing them for free or did I misunderstood.

For Ukraine but not for the countries providing them, those countries will have to replace them. Even the ones that are not in service have a purpose, like spare pieces which will have to be replaced by manufacturers.

It's likely bullshit, but as we know, Russia uses bullshit as excuse or pretext for escalation. False flags and lies are part of their playbook.

I just hope Putin doesn't use it as a pretext to deploy a tactical nuke in Ukraine, or things are going to get really ugly.

Of course it probably is, but it's reality for Russians because that's the only side to the story they hear.

I saw someone that just posted Putin's side of the story. And when you listen to it, it kinda makes sense. What doesn't is that Russia has been fueling the separatist movement all along, probably hijacked the results of the 2014 referendum, that the separatists are the one who broke the cease fire etc.

What Krushchev of Russia was actually not happy about was the basing of US ballistic nuclear missiles in Turkey. And had a willing partner in Castro of Cuba, a communist country.
While JFK is credited with forcing Russia to withdraw their ballistic missiles from Cuba hy naval blockade, in actual fact, the US agreed to withdraw their ballistic missiles from Turkey as well.

JFK actually bungled that as well, according to recent analysis of the matter.

Thanks Vlad.

Yawn.

That perspective would apply, if he already wouldn't have NATO states literally on their doorstep in Baltics. I think most have already accepted, that everything coming out of his mouth is horseshit. Whether he's invaded to keep Ukraine allied, divide NATO or keep his seat amid poor economical state of the country, it's widely accepted, that he's not going to stop here, just like he didn't stop in Georgia (even though he was VP at the time).

This is a day and age when, more than ever, people aren’t taking things at face value and I think for many Westerners there was always a question of whether Putin (and by extension ‘Russia’) was quite as deceptive and dangerous as he was portrayed in the media. Putin then directly lied to everyone (these are just troop movements, we are not preparing to invade etc.) and cemented that image. It was going to be a hard fight for Russian propaganda but Putin has made it almost completely ineffective.