Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Portugal might just be thinking. They will need to go over no fly zones to reach us and if they go the long way round, once they fly over us they will be in no fly zones.

A side note, but isn't it funny that we used to sort of laugh at the 90s and early 2000s movie and videogame plots where "ultranationalists" took power in Russia and threatened the launch of chemical or nuclear weapons over conflicts with former Soviet republics, and those premises seemed ridiculous?
Maybe a few young uns playing those games grown up and joins the military.

What kind of clown army is this. :lol:

Seems these guys are just not very well trained, nor are they interested in fighting a war they don't care about. They'd rather be home on their smartphones, endlessly scrolling on social media, which is probably what they were doing just in the months leading up to this.

Switzerland will have to comply with all international regulations regarding money laundering, corruption etc. If pressed hard enough they will disclose all the information requested.

The problem with Putin's Nuclear bluster (that he was always going to resort to) is how good clickbait is it for western media, it automatically gets amplified far and wide.

I wouldn't give it the time of day personally.

Do you guys really believe that he will launch nukes? He is just getting desperate as tomorrow morning the population of his country will wake up to find themselves moneyless. Today's talks will reach nothing. Zelenskyy is not going to acknowledge the independence of Crimea and of eastern areas occupied by separatists. Sanctions will not be lifted anytime soon. Putler has crossed the line.

I think it is more than likely a bully boy tactic because of his desperation, a fairly predictable one at that. With that said it is still absolutely terrifying to even hear him start referencing the possibility.

Seems these guys are just not very well trained, nor are they interested in fighting a war they don't care about. They'd rather be home on their smartphones, endlessly scrolling on social media, which is probably what they were doing just in the months leading up to his.
The closest I can compare this invasion to is if American conscripts were sent in the middle of the night to invade Canada.

There are so, so many ties between Ukraine and Russia, it's literally like attacking a family member.

Even if these guys didn't do it on purpose, they basically feel at home and it's not that strange that they think they'll get help. It's cognitive dissonance at a crazy level but it's not they surprising.

The problem with Putin's Nuclear bluster (that he was always going to resort to) is how good clickbait is it for western media, it automatically gets amplified far and wide.

Not saying you’re wrong and certainly hope you’re not of course.

Genuine question - what gives you that confidence? Is it simply a case of “everyone loses” so why would anyone be that stupid?

This +1

Not saying you’re wrong and certainly hope you’re not of course.

Genuine question - what gives you that confidence? Is it simply a case of “everyone loses” so why would anyone be that stupid?
The firm belief that even if Putin went insane, his generals and people in commant did not

Where would Putin aim his nukes?

On the side Note, i have a kinda morbid curiosity about the end of civilization, maybe comet as in "Don't look up" or probably a nuclear war that blows the ozone, melt the icecap, and tsunamis and wipe the earth clean in hours...

Scarry, but on the same time fascinating, oh well... just my morbid thought

We will never know, if that happens, we won't have much time to discuss about it.

The world will end pretty soon after.

ehhh:nervous:

Let's hope so! I've got to admit, all of this is really worrying me

Is there a chance of that genuinely? A lot of very rich people close to him must be looking on now and thinking "I don't want to lose everything I've got here".
Honestly think there’s a chance of a staged assassination from a “suspected” Ukrainian etc where everybody knows but they don’t know

He's got enough aimed already at Western Europe and the US, I think
The thing is Putin spreads himself thin by doing that. No doubt it would cause massive devestation but the combined nukes of Western Europe and the US would obliterate Russia no matter how big it is.

What would be left however is an uninhabitable world. How much room is there on Musk and Bezos' escape vessels?

I have been saying this for ages, that mods should put a halt to everything that comes from Russian side. They should get zero field in this informational warfare.

Where would Putin aim his nukes?
Probably tactical nukes to begin with (which could b as small as starting from less than 1kT to 100kT or circa 5 times as large as Nagasaki’s one), but that would escalate quickly to a full nuclear war.

If anyone is going to start Nato vs Russia, it's them mad feckers. They shot a russian jet down couple of years ago for violating their airspace, if they say it's closed, it's closed.
It becomes evident why they shot that jet down now.

I think it is more than likely a bully boy tactic because of his desperation, a fairly predictable one at that. With that said it is still absolutely terrifying to even hear him start referencing the possibility.

It is definitely this but yeah it's still a terrifying thought. It's meant as a display of strength rather than an actual threat.

it doesn't mean he's planning to launch nukes but it's an uncomfortable reminder that he or someone always could.

And there's a lot of escalation to come yet. They haven't even started on Kyiv yet really and half the world is sending weapons into the area

Agreed. So now that he mentioned it, Russia will be surrounded by NATO nukes in a fairly short time.

Putin's declaration is for local consumption. The Russian public was onboard for a quick operation to protect the Dombas region from the government of Kyiv. Many consider that government to be both under influence of neo-nazis in Ukraine and to be led by a puppet of the US. And either way Russians want their "brothers" to be protected.

Now that it is clear Putin went far beyond the regions that he had the mandate to protect, he has to justify the war, and the only plausible justification is "Russia is under threat". And when you are under threat you get the Nukes ready. He intends to divert the Russian public from discussing the unlawful invasion of Ukraine and the sanctions that will hurt them massively. So he has to make them focus on the "existential threat to the Russian nation posed by the evil West".
All well and good but what do you feel about your username being an anagram of Putin?

Is there a chance of that genuinely? A lot of very rich people close to him must be looking on now and thinking "I don't want to lose everything I've got here".

Its time America sends Big Boss to Russia. Drop him in Siberia and he'll make it to Kremlin easily.