Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

I haven't slagged anyone off for fighting for their country. I want this to be over with as few lives lost as possible, on all sides.

I commend you for your efforts, however. Keep up the good work and I hope you help as many as you can.
You wanted them earlier to just let the Russians in, implying that any civilians fighting were doing the wrong thing.

No, the weird take is the lick of the lips at the prospect of the Ukrainian population being absolutely annihilated in urban insurgency and guerrilla combat.

Given you were actively hoping for a swift Russian victory, I'm not sure you're in a position to criticise others for weird takes.

Given you were actively hoping for a swift Russian victory, I'm not sure you're in a position to criticise others for weird takes.
Are you serious? Is there a poster on here who is hoping for a fast Russian victory? You probably misunderstood something.

I don't know under what international law implementing a no-fly zone over Ukraine, with their leader's permission, for both sides, is in any way a declaration of war. A country has a right to accept or deny any aircraft into its airspace. I've not seen an actual answer to that.

Why not just implement a no-go zone.

Yeah they should just let them take the country and then pick who to kill and who to keep. And while at that let them pick 5 more countries to take so we make sure Putin is happy. Or 10 if 5 isn’t enough. Just make sure Vlad is happy.
Pop him on the ignore list and don’t waste your breath.

I don't know under what international law implementing a no-fly zone over Ukraine, with their leader's permission, for both sides, is in any way a declaration of war. A country has a right to accept or deny any aircraft into its airspace. I've not seen an actual answer to that.

Because to implement a no-fly zone, it would have to be patrolled by western aircraft.

For western aircraft to be airborne over Ukraine, there'd be a necessity to take out Russia's air defences on the ground beforehand.

I’m not at all religious, but I pray that I will get the full satisfaction of ramming this post right back down your throat before this is out. The choice between being the next Belarus or a member state of the EU is well worth fighting for. You are ignorant to think otherwise.

On the ignore list for now. Enough of your shit.

He didn't say it wasn't worth fighting for he said they had no hope of obtaining it. Hopefully he's wrong and I'm sure he'd be happy to be wrong. I'm far less sure personally that they can't win out than i was days ago.

None of us are military strategists (some may like to think they are) so that judgement is made with various levels of unqualified opinion.

I'm sure we can be respectful that people will have a difference of opinion of when it's worth sacrificing life or not. We should just be thankful it's not us making the decision about our own life, whatever each Ukranian chooses that's their right. I'm sure you wouldn't be judging those who under terrible odds choose to surrender.

It obviously wouldn't be a declaration for war for the following reasons.

1. Ukraine is an internationally recognized sovreign state.
2. It has a democratically elected President and cabinet.
3. Its leaders can invite NATO (or any of its individual member states) to create a no fly zone, a humanitarian corridor, or similar and it would be legally recognized.

In all practicality, Putin would view this as an act of war, but excepting the use of nukes (which would guarantee his own destruction), he wouldn't have any power to do anything about it.

Imagine how many analysts in Western militaries are studying the Russian military right now.

Are you serious? Is there a poster on here who is hoping for a fast Russian victory? You probably misunderstood something.
His position was that he viewed Russia as winning to be inevitable and an insurgency as the worst possible scenario in terms of human loss of life. I don't think he's pro Russia, just anti-war. Most want it to end as quickly as possible but it seems an insurgency is inevitable which is why I agree with ThatsHernandez sentiment but the reality is an insurgency will happen either way (so the object seems flawed, hence the criticisms).

Imagine how many analysts in Western militaries are studying the Russian military right now.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if non-cover Western intelligence operators are in UKR right now, hoovering up as much hard intel as they can.

It obviously wouldn't be a declaration for war for the following reasons.

1. Ukraine is an internationally recognized sovreign state.
2. It has a democratically elected President and cabinet.
3. Its leaders can invite NATO (or any of its individual member states) to create a no fly zone, a humanitarian corridor, or similar and it would be legally recognized.

In all practicality, Putin would view this as an act of war, but excepting the use of nukes (which would guarantee his own destruction), he wouldn't have any power to do anything about it.

Enforcing it is the obvious issue, not the legality.

If a NATO fighter downs a Russian one, or vice versa, that is nuclear war territory in reality not just actuality. Semantics will not matter should this happen.

I can’t find anything, does anyone know if khabib made any commentary on this? He’s hugely influential in Russia particularly on socials.

Because to implement a no-fly zone, it would have to be patrolled by western aircraft.

For western aircraft to be airborne over Ukraine, there'd be a necessity to take out Russia's air defences on the ground beforehand.

The legal pretext would be Article 51 of the UN Charter.

" The second basis for the use of force is self,defense in response to an armed attack. This authorization is found in Article 51 of the CharterY Albeit visionary, the drafters of the Charter were realists. Understanding that Chapter VII action might not be feasible or likely in all circumstances, they acknowledged the inherent right of States to defend themselve3, and other States, until such time as the Security Council acted. Article 51 provides the legal basis for self,cJefense rules of engagement in effect during no,fly operations. "
https://digital-commons.usnwc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1459&context=ils

If Russia then fired at them, that would be a declaration of war.

If a NATO fighter downs a Russian one, or vice versa, that is nuclear war territory in reality not just actuality. Semantics will not matter should this happen.

I still don't understand why people think this is a given just because Putin says so.

His position was that he viewed Russia as winning to be inevitable and an insurgency as the worst possible scenario in terms of human loss of life. I don't think he's pro Russia, just anti-war. Most want it to end as quickly as possible but it seems an insurgency is inevitable which is why I agree with ThatsHernandez sentiment but the reality is an insurgency will happen either way (so the object seems flawed, hence the criticisms).
He basically told me it wasn’t worth fighting for the future of your country because it isn’t 1779 anymore.
This is quite the leap

He said he was hoping for a swift Russian victory as that would result in fewer deaths. He seemed to think that if the Ukranians just gave up then life would continue as normal for them under the brutal, war-crime comitting regime that just invaded their country and would have every reason to eliminate dissidents. Needless to say, it's an extremely bad take.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if non-cover Western intelligence operators are in UKR right now, hoovering up as much hard intel as they can.
There's going to be a lot of reassessing of Russian "capability" after this.

What a tweet. Don't do something barbaric like ensuring a landlord doesn't get quite as much as he would normally. Instead, just order the deaths of thousands of men on an industrial scale :wenger::lol:

I still don't understand why people think this is a given just because Putin says so.

It has been for the last 50 years. We've gone to great lengths to avoid direct confrontation between NATO and Russia, and a few times it's been a close run thing.

There's every possibility that NATO getting involved in Ukraine will prompt the Russians to start launching the ICBMs pre-emptively.

What a tweet. Don't do something barbaric like ensuring a landlord doesn't get quite as much as he would normally. Instead, just order the deaths of thousands of men on an industrial scale :wenger::lol:

Not a real account according to the replies

I just do not understand why US/UK didn't send these weapons earlier, with their intelligence knowing that this is going to happen.

If they had a couple of Patriot anti aircraft systems, and more javelins, then they would be in a far better position to begin with.
UK/US/Canada have been supplying and training Ukrainians for months.

I don't think it is, as a NFZ would incentivize both sides to avoid conflict. It would also incentivize Putin to change tactics not involving air surpremacy.

How many U.K. fighter jets do you think would need to be shot down by Russian airforces in Ukraine for us to nuke Moscow? I don’t think that number exists.