Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

There are many many lessons from all of this, but the one that stands above for me right now is the resolve of the Ukrainian army.

I appears to me that Ukraine have been much more organised than the Russian Army. Maybe it's possible that US intelligence was relayed to them weeks ago about an invasion on Kyiv, so most of their defences and strategies have been focused on the capital.

I appears to me that Ukraine have been much more organised than the Russian Army. Maybe it's possible that US intelligence was relayed to them weeks ago about an invasion on Kyiv, so most of their defences and strategies have been focused on the capital.
Ever since 2014 Crimea, the Ukrainians have been essentially preparing for more combat. Though, I'm unsure if even they expected a full-scale invasion rather than limited war in the Donbas against Russian regulars.

Wonder how they would stop Russia sailing through... Not sure I can see them sinking a Russian war ship... And if they do then who knows how quick it escalates
Just heard an analyst on TV saying Turkey wants to close it with NATO help, but they still have not presented that request to NATO. No guarantees either that the US wants NATO directly involved in the black sea. And it is not clear Turkey really has the right to do this. They have been consulting their legal advisers who are disagreeing among themselves. A lot of speculation.

Yeh despite Zelansky playing it down in public I'm sure they knew, Nance was (is) US intelligence, he did a 2 week tour there and got out a few days before. I'm sure he was helping however he could.

Ever since 2014 Crimea, the Ukrainians have been essentially preparing for more combat. Though, I'm unsure if even they expected a full-scale invasion rather than limited war in the Donbas against Russian regulars.

There was some military bod on the radio saying that the standard of training the Russian troops get is very poor. He said Ukrainian soldiers were the same before 2014 but since then they’ve been trained to a much better standard aided by the west. The UK had special forces training them shortly before this invasion, for example.

I dont know about that tweet but he has already been vocal and He is 100% against it as is Nepo (another Russian Gm who recently lost to Carlsen in the world's finals).

The only support for putin has came from gm karjakin who tweeted a tasteless joke about ukraine which has since been deleted and received a lot of condemnation from fellow gms.

Svidler is a top bloke as is Nepo both sticking their necks out but publicly condemning the invasion. A few others have done the same too. Karjakin is a piece of shit who can rot for all I care. He's long known to be an idiot but hopefully he receives a lifetime ban and has his title revoked is he carries on

Thanks for that! (edit: and to you who translated the tweet)
Good to hear about Svidler, he’s a top bloke indeed.
Not too surprised by Karjakin unfortunately, he’s known as being Putin friendly.

State of this.... There's nothin '18+' i can see here, just battle scene and burning tanks.

Very likely, given that most of Putin's armor and artillery are still waiting to go in. The intent was the soften up the Ukrainians with special ops and air power and hope they crumbled and surrendered quickly. Now that its evident that won't happen, Putin will be incentivized to obliterate them into submission, which of course will work to a degree, but it will also further galvanize anti-Russian sentiment globally and wind up starting a violent insurgency that Putin ultimately won't have the resources to deal with over time..

Very likely, given that most of Putin's armor and artillery are still waiting to go in. The intent was the soften up the Ukrainians with special ops and air power and hope they crumbled and surrendered quickly. Now that its evident that won't happen, Putin will be incentivized to obliterate them into submission, which of course will work to a degree, but it will also further galvanize anti-Russian sentiment globally and wind up starting a violent insurgency that Putin ultimately won't have the resources to deal with over time..
Their very own Vietnam

If the Russian army is off invading Ukraine, maybe we should invade Russia while they are out of the way.

There could be no factual basis as nothing like this has happened in Europe and done by Russia. I have explained already, if crimes against humanity take place, it is not about NATO anymore. Moreover, NATO are already supplying arms openly. Most of the EU countries are closing their airspace for Russian aircrafts. Remember what Putin said? Whoever hinders his operation, will be punished. Well arms from NATO allies are killing his army right now. Russia will be disconnected from SWIFT sharply. He will not go nuclear. It is his certain death. Absolutely no chance he survives. He will chicken out.

I believe everything in this post is true.

SWIFT will be a disaster for Putin, and he is becoming totally isolated internationally. Even the Chinese aren't really supporting the war.

There is no way now that he will attack a NATO member, Russia are already taking huge losses from fighting an independent country. Trying to fight NATO would be a disaster.

Yh good point. Also, a key thing to say is that whilst it's still a full-scale invasion, Russia intensions seem to be to topple Kyiv and the administration rather than occupy the country. With forewarning, Kyiv have managed to mobilise not only the army but also citizens to defend the city, which I think will be an advantage to them.

Sums it up for me too.
Putin probably hoped that Ukraine will divide from within to make it easy for him.

That hasn’t happened so far.

Swift expulsion and CB sanctions incoming.

Russian economy dead in the water, and revealed his hand that their “great” military is inept. Hoping he doesn’t go scorched earth later in the week.

Stay strong Ukraine.

Sums it up for me too.
Putin probably hoped that Ukraine will divide from within to make it easy for him.

That hasn’t happened so far.
Agreed. But if it's tanks mainly, they will be dealt with properly. Arms are coming to Ukraine too.