Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Is it absolutely out of the question to secure the Ukrainian airspace either by the US or NATO themselves? i understand the repercussions could be horrific, but can everyone just sit back and watch Russia, Belarus and Chechens slaughter Ukriane and take Kiev.

A good living Christian would prefer peace.

I wouldn't bother Deery.

I think you’re giving too much respect to Christianity. Modern wars have been fought with religious undertones. Other wars have been fought because people are literally defending themselves. You’re from Derry, urban war has literally been fought in derry. Don’t you think that most of them went to chapel too?

Whatever about religious undertones, the authors of the 'Encyclopaedia of Wars' documented the history of recorded warfare, and from their list of 1763 wars only 123 have been classified to involve a religious cause, accounting for less than 7% of all wars and less than 2% of all people killed in warfare.

I very much doubt that Putin would discuss all that with businessmen. Let alone at Ural of all places. The fact that this copypasta appears everywhere with the same wording and different sources mentioned, as well as the same unrealistic dialogs and Putin spilling the beans on every fail that he has made up to this point, makes it sound even sketchier.

My sympathies are with Ukraine in this war but their propaganda can be just as blatant and unrealistic as the Russian one. Scratch that, this sounds like the infamous intercepted call where unspecified foreign agents "Nick" and "Mike" discussed how tough Lukashenko had turned out to be that all of their devious plans to overthrow him had failed.

Tried to makes sound like Berchtesgaden. That’s what came to my mind first.

As I wrote yesterday; clowns are in charge here. And we are still blocking the swift exclusion as it looks like, a fecking joke

That’s a shame. It seems Russia has a grip on Germany. It needs to shake it off as the rest of the world can support each other against this.

We are living through a huge moment in the history of the world. Hopefully, the autocrats in Europe are done which will have huge cascade effect all over Eurasia.

Massive moment. Russia needs to be crippled off the back of this. The world economy is so vital to success and I do wonder if Putin has missed the bigger picture here.

In a world of cancel culture where no businesses will want to be associated with Russia, no talent will want to work in Russia and trade will be crippled there could be huge lasting impacts for Russia.

This war is likely to come at huge cost financially and human cost, but may achieve no long term success if they don't have the financial or human strength to consolidate their power. Even if they win the battle they could very well lose the longer term war.

We as Germans have a historical responsibility towards the Ukrainian people. The way we are letting them down makes me furious. Our country is a joke.

Is there any reliable place people can send donations to either help Ukraine or the refugees? And i know it won't help as much as a donation but i'm seriously considering ordering a Ukraine jersey online so i can wear it in public to show my support for Ukraine. And please no one call me a full kit you know what.
Go for it. No worse than putting the Ukraine flag on a Facebook profile picture!

I have a few exemples of facebook/twitter "friends" myself (real people) who bashed french governement and pretty much any media that were encouraging vaccines because they "LieD tO Us, tHey're ManiPuLated by thE sTATE!!" and who posted a comment like "Take a look at that if you want to truely be informed about the Ukraine war" with Putin's statement on Russia Today attached.

Cognitive dissonance is strong... All of them anti-vax right wing nuts. Right wing nuts admire dictators because they like the display of power (and the religious anti-progressive views).

Yeah, it’s impressive alright being on the wrong side about basically everything. And the most sad thing about it is that any true discussion is impossible because the go to answer is “do your own research”.

I’m glad these nutters are few and far between here in Denmark.

Suppose everybody has to have a pillock in their group.

Oh, she’s thankfully not a part of any group of mine. Just a fb acquaintance.

Massive moment. Russia needs to be crippled off the back of this. The world economy is so vital to success and I do wonder if Putin has missed the bigger picture here.

In a world of cancel culture where no businesses will want to be associated with Russia, no talent will want to work in Russia and trade will be crippled there could be huge lasting impacts for Russia.

This war is likely to come at huge cost financially and human cost, but may achieve no long term success if they don't have the financial or human strength to consolidate their power. Even if they win the battle they could very well lose the longer term war.

Very good point.

You do feel Russia and Putin has missed the bigger long term picture here. Too much inward antiquated thinking. The world has changed and Russia will find itself ostracised the longer this goes on.

Oil and Gas has long been its bargaining tool and there’s many countries who don’t need Russia anymore. This will get bigger following this. When you add to the move to renewable energies you have to wonder what happens in the long term as it certainly won’t be prosperous. Even more so ostracised in world isolation.

Yeah, it’s impressive alright being on the wrong side about basically everything. And the most sad thing about it is that any true discussion is impossible because the go to answer is “do your own research”.

I’m glad these nutters are few and far between here in Denmark.

Oh, she’s thankfully not a part of any group of mine. Just a fb acquaintance.
Maybe she likes short men who like whipping their shirt off.

It seems like Kyiv is going to become a new immense case study about urban warfare. What could the Ukrainians do in such situations as more and more Russians pour in? IED's & snipers?

He’s nearly 70 years old. I’m sure he doesn’t care about the long term implications.