Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

It’s funny how these things go. I’ve got a Facebook friend who‘s posted non stop about Covid being a hoax for two years, then the other day Russia weren’t really invading but just protecting themselves and now it’s just Putin’s just trying to save his people from genocide commited by the US-Ukraine cabal.
Think you need to block him.

Questions, 1. Surely this attack will start a new nuclear arms race between those countries that border russia. If ukraine actually had nukes of its own would russia have attacked?

2. There will be more desire from those countries to join NATO, as it then gives them a level of protection against russian aggression?

1. no, they would not have, I'd say
2. yes, but Putin uses Ukraine as an example what could happen if you flirt with NATO and are not yet under its protection

We are living through a huge moment in the history of the world. Hopefully, the autocrats in Europe are done which will have huge cascade effect all over Eurasia.

Everyday people buy into it and spread it even further. I do not understand it, I know we have a lot of politicians who are fecked in the head and a tad cnutish, but to hero worship Putin is just off the scales of logic.
To hero worship Putin was viable option because of the shit west (mainly USA) was doing and Putin was their only counterpart. After this shitshow there is no excuse.

Watching what is happening in Ukraine is dreadful, but one positive thing is that Ukraine is mich better at defending themselves as I thought they will be and their citizens turned out to be real heroes. Hats off for the courage and loyality to their country.

We exploit it good/fast enough to be the third largest exporter in the world, and we barely have any need for gas ourselves. Like, at all. We’re 99% hydro, and don’t need gas for heating or cooking.

This isn't about whether you consume it yourselves, it could easily just be about transit. For export.

We are living through a huge moment in the history of the world. Hopefully, the autocrats in Europe are done which will have huge cascade effect all over Eurasia.

It certainly is a big moment and might result in a geopolitical shift, but I don't just yet see how this would result in all eurasian autocrats being done. Quite the opposite seems more likely, honestly.

This isn't about whether you consume it yourselves, it could easily just be about transit. For export.

Not sure what your sources are, but these are the numbers from Gazprom in 2020.

1. Netherlands
2. Germany
3. Italy
4. Turkey
5. France

Norway not even in the top 13 (as expected). Neither are Japan.
aNxczCB.png

It certainly is a big moment and might result in a geopolitical shift, but I don't just yet see how this would result in all eurasian autocrats being done. Quite the opposite seems more likely, honestly.
I would love to explain my POV but it will be a wall of text. I will get back to this, once this war is over. Let me assure you that some countries that are allies and close friends of Russia are stepping aside already.

I would love to explain my POV but it will be a wall of text. I will get back to this, once this war is over. Let me assure you that some countries that are allies and close friends of Russia are stepping aside already.

Really depends on how this war ends and especially when.

Also, I don't mind walls of texts - I got the rona and plenty of time to read and am looking for something positive in this world. And your outlook seems to be rather comforting. But take your time, just know that I don't have anything better to do than read what you think.

It’s funny how these things go. I’ve got a Facebook friend who‘s posted non stop about Covid being a hoax for two years, then the other day Russia weren’t really invading but just protecting themselves and now it’s just Putin’s just trying to save his people from genocide commited by the US-Ukraine cabal.

I have a few exemples of facebook/twitter "friends" myself (real people) who bashed french governement and pretty much any media that were encouraging vaccines because they "LieD tO Us, tHey're ManiPuLated by thE sTATE!!" and who posted a comment like "Take a look at that if you want to truely be informed about the Ukraine war" with Putin's statement on Russia Today attached.

Cognitive dissonance is strong... All of them anti-vax right wing nuts. Right wing nuts admire dictators because they like the display of power (and the religious anti-progressive views).

The war in Libya justified? How? a country where you have almost the entire nation above the line of poverty and turning it to remanents of a country!

Yeah, well...
Let's start with Libya being responsible for Pan Am Flight 103 (Lockerbie Bombing) and the Berlin Disco Bombing

Gaddafi was clearly funding international terrorism

Granted, it wasn't NATO's greatest moment, but don't justify his transgressions with his education record.
Also Gaddafi was probably buddies with Putin who was with the KGB at the time.

Also, I don't mind walls of texts - I got the rona and plenty of time to read and am looking for something positive in this world. And your outlook seems to be rather comforting. But take your time, just know that I don't have anything better to do than read what you think.
Sure mate. Will do.

Chechens, Belarussians, and potentially Assad-aligned Syrians...war is never quite fair but this is fecking ridicilous.

Chechens are Russian so I get it. If Belarus and Syria get involved I find it hard to see why we shouldn't anymore.

Yeah, well...
Let's start with Libya being responsible for Pan Am Flight 103 (Lockerbie Bombing) and the Berlin Disco Bombing

Gaddafi was clearly funding international terrorism

Granted, it wasn't NATO's greatest moment, but don't justify his transgressions with his education record.
Also Gaddafi was probably buddies with Putin who was with the KGB at the time.

There is a strange coincidence in that war against Gaddafi. It was pushed by France after french judges accused his campaign of being illegally financed by Gaddafi which was then confirmed by Gaddafi. People make of that what they want.

Chechens, Belarussians, and potentially Assad-aligned Syrians...war is never quite fair but this is fecking ridicilous.

Getting away with war crimes as all the west does is send supplies and cut off bits of money here and there.

Sure mate. Will do fairly soon. Things are going much better than many expected thus far.