Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

No, I appreciate his tweets & find the articles interesting.

Fair enough. Its just the endless use of possibly/probably made up "officials" as sources in pretty much every one of his links that winds me up a bit.

Fair enough. Its just the endless use of possibly/probably made up "officials" as sources in pretty much every one of his links that winds me up a bit.
Why does it wind you up? Quotes from officials in the NYT, Reuters, BBC etc are some of the closest sources we can get and they give a feeling of the mood in governments.

Unless you think the NYT is "making up" these officials.

No one is saying you should believe what these officials say. They can be wrong and have been wrong. But that in itself isn't new.

Unless you think the NYT is "making up" these officials.

No one is saying you should believe what these officials say. They can be wrong and have been wrong. But that in itself isn't new.

I don't believe they're making them up, but sometimes I question the importance of anonymous officials. It could be some actual general on duty, some high ranking politician or just a veteran from some ancient war with nothing but his own opinion.

Ukraine is now beginning to retaliate quite frequently. This was probably the answer on yesterday's terror attack.

According to the UN, they have not enough evidence of a genocide.

If he knows so in advance what operations Ukraine is involved with and he acts unilaterlly against it at his own judgement, what prevents Musk to pass any critical information about the counteroffensive to Russia?

If he knows so in advance what operations Ukraine is involved with and he acts unilaterlly against it at his own judgement, what prevents Musk to pass any critical information about the counteroffensive to Russia?

I'm pretty sure he did. Personally, I would love it if Musk, now an American citizen, is caught red-handed in violation of the Espionage Act and then is arrested. Some of the sensitive information that Ukraine has prior to those ops may be directly linked with US intelligence, any interference could be seen a ground for an indictment.

Last edited:
UN working on guarantees for Russia to restore grain deal but Moscow skeptical

Sept 7 (Reuters) - The United Nations is "actively engaged" in trying to improve Russia's grain and fertilizer exports in a bid to convince Moscow to again allow the safe Black Sea export of Ukraine grain, Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Thursday.

"We believe that it's necessary to create a system of mutual guarantee," Guterres told reporters on the sidelines of the Association of South East Asian Nations summit in Jakarta.
https://www.reuters.com/markets/com...store-grain-deal-moscow-skeptical-2023-09-07/

Prosecutors believe Carsten L shared intelligence about the war in Ukraine and the Wagner mercenary group and received roughly €400,000 (£340,000), according to German reports.

The perfect anti drone weapon.

My pop worked in procurement for the Phalanx CIWS during his time at Raytheon as one of his projects. He & other colleagues flew out west to some desert to watch live trials & he was blown away at the sheer destruction that thing caused.

This seemed a little like the Phalanx but with individual barrels.

What a piece of shit. I know many americans react allergic to any kind of government control, but in my opinion such technologies shouldn't be in private hands, or at least the decision making must be made by the democratically elected government and not some unhinged narcissist, regardless of whether he made the technology in the first place.

What a piece of shit. I know many americans react allergic to any kind of government control, but in my opinion such technologies shouldn't be in private hands, or at least the decision making must be made by the democratically elected government and not some unhinged narcissist, regardless of whether he made the technology in the first place.

Essential services should absolutely be in government hands, and it might be necessary to nationalize things like Starlink in the future. Good luck getting the Americans on board, though, as you say.

Always funny when Russians realize what other people think of them.

So you wish for businesses not be able to develop technology and if they do the State has to have control over it? Sounds like a CCP dream.

So you wish for businesses not be able to develop technology and if they do the State has to have control over it? Sounds like a CCP dream.
Raytheon can't sell weapons to anyone they want, among many restrictions, Starlink may need similar rules.

I was about to post this. What a piece of shit.

Ukraine is not allowed to use Starlink for military strikes, considering it is part of a civilian company, it's likely off limits by ITAR restrictions.

The last thing SpaceX wants to be classified as a DoD contractor under ITAR, which would get them basically banned across the entire planet.

What this tweet is, is clickbait/propaganda. They KNOW, legally, SpaceX can't allow this... But that doesn't stop them from trying to use it to do more "Musk Bad" tweets and articles.

At the end of the day, SpaceX isn't trying to become a defense contractor which would shut them out from all international contracts and being able to do business with the public.

Raytheon can't sell weapons to anyone they want, among many restrictions, Starlink may need similar rules.
At the end ot the day its a commercial communication network , very different from weapons technologies. What the US government will probably do, is build their own constellation of similar capability. It is evident that they are missing this broadband functionality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/09/08/russia-ukraine-defense-counteroffensive

upKSqnI.png

This is insane - a terrible, trench war that should be brought to an end