Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

These are the top 4 resultsI get if I search "cnn portugal advances in ukraine".

The 2022 results roughly translate to:

"in just 4 hours, ukraine accelerates the conquest, russians can't hide ukranian advances"

"they call it the mad max army and its responsible for the fast advance of ukraine in the frontline"

"the russians are running away in a rush"

Then the 2023 result:

"the counteroffensive in ukraine is not meeting the expectations"

I just can't help thinking it's kinda their own fault the expectations are not being met, since they were the ones responsible for a lot of it.

TdzXL5J.png
I can't understand most of it, obviously, so I will go with your translation.

But the last statement, "The counteroffensive in Ukraine is not meeting expectations," did not just come from the media. It was coming from everywhere, even from Zelensky and their highest General. So I think they are just reporting that?

"The counteroffensive in Ukraine is not meeting expectations," did not just come from the media. It was coming from everywhere, even from Zelensky and their highest General. So I think they are just reporting that?
Zelenskyy said the counteroffensive wasn’t meeting western expectations and Zaluzhnyi said people watching from the sidelines comparing their progress to unrealistic expectations were pissing him off.

Zelenskyy said the counteroffensive wasn’t meeting western expectations and Zaluzhnyi said people watching from the sidelines comparing their progress to unrealistic expectations were pissing him off.
Obviously, we know how media headlines can be. The real reports were something like " Volodymyr Zelenskiy has conceded that Ukraine’s counteroffensive may be going “slower than desired” and “We would definitely like to make bigger steps,”.

Obviously, we know how media headlines can be. The real reports were something like " Volodymyr Zelenskiy has conceded that Ukraine’s counteroffensive may be going “slower than desired” and “We would definitely like to make bigger steps,”.
I’m not talking about headlines, I’m talking about what Zalenskyy said. That “slower than desired” quote you just used, that’s from his June 21 comments to the BBC where he went on to say - “Some people believe this is a Hollywood movie and expect results now. It's not… What’s at stake is people’s lives… Whatever some might want, including attempts to pressure us, with all due respect, we will advance on the battlefield the way we deem best”

I’m not talking about headlines, I’m talking about what Zalenskyy said. That “slower than desired” quote you just used, that’s from his June 21 comments to the BBC where he went on to say - “Some people believe this is a Hollywood movie and expect results now. It's not… What’s at stake is people’s lives… Whatever some might want, including attempts to pressure us, with all due respect, we will advance on the battlefield the way we deem best”
Oh okay. But I was mainly asking if that headline was made to be reported like that based on those noises from everywhere (some "officials" and the rest) instead of coming from their own (media) expectations since I can't read the whole report in another language and can't really tell what it was exactly about.

That doesn’t mean you should buy into them. The commanding general for Ukraine has been saying all along that this wouldn’t be like the counteroffensive of 2022.

True but it remains a strong narrative because it actually happened. What the commanding general says in public isn't necessarily much of a reflection of anything - not even what he thinks.

True but it remains a strong narrative because it actually happened. What the commanding general says in public isn't necessarily much of a reflection of anything - not even what he thinks.
Yes it happened… in a very different set of circumstances that shouldn’t be compared to the current reality on the battlefield. If it remains a strong narrative it’s because people don’t understand war.

Biden Administration Announces Additional Security Assistance for Ukraine

The capabilities in this announcement, which totals $1.3 billion, include:

1. Four National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS) and munitions;
  2. 152mm artillery rounds;
  3. Mine clearing equipment;
  4. Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
  5. Phoenix Ghost and Switchblade Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS);
  6. Precision aerial munitions;
  7. Counter-UAS and electronic warfare detection equipment;
  8. 150 fuel trucks;
  9. 115 tactical vehicles to tow and haul equipment;
  10. 50 tactical vehicles to recover equipment;
  11. Port and harbor security equipment;
  12. Tactical secure communications systems;
  13. Support for training, maintenance, and sustainment activities.
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releas...s-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

That's a good one. Just say the destroyed grain was china's share. They will be thrilled :lol:

If Turkey starts exporting grain from Ukraine, NATO should make it very clear that sinking those ships would mean sinking of Russia's fleet in the black sea as well, and make good on that threat if Russia actually attacked.

It's hard to believe this guy's words. But it reminded me of my discussion with you yesterday. It always looks like their main involvement with the war in Bakhmut for their brand only. Funny that he used the word "honor" though. Nothing about him or his fight was that.

If Turkey starts exporting grain from Ukraine, NATO should make it very clear that sinking those ships would mean sinking of Russia's fleet in the black sea as well, and make good on that threat if Russia actually attacked.

I am inclined to agree. Over a year ago I was calling for NATO to be establishing a no fly zone. And I maintain the most effective strategy was - and still is - to give Russia a simple ultimatum. Get out of Ukraine by x date, or we are coming to remove you.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this conflict between Wagner and the MOD is just about money. Prigozhin wants the same money he gets in Africa for his mercenaries and the MOD refuses to pay him that.

Yes it happened… in a very different set of circumstances that shouldn’t be compared to the current reality on the battlefield. If it remains a strong narrative it’s because people don’t understand war.

I work with people who understand war extremely well and I take my cues from them. Their view is that the Ukranians don't have sufficient kit unless the Russians fek up in the way I outlined. So far they haven't but they may yet. I hope they do but that's not the same as thinking it will happen.

I work with people who understand war extremely well and I take my cues from them. Their view is that the Ukranians don't have sufficient kit unless the Russians fek up in the way I outlined. So far they haven't but they may yet. I hope they do.
You realize that’s part of what Zaluzhnyi has been saying, right?

It’s unthinkably disgusting that they’re purposely attacking food exports. Doesn’t do anything to help their war effort and is simply criminal. Sadly we’ve (as in the west) drawn a line up to where we accept to get involved, which has allowed Russia to get away with these barbaric acts. If only we’d been firmer and clearer earlier.

It’s unthinkably disgusting that they’re purposely attacking food exports. Doesn’t do anything to help their war effort and is simply criminal. Sadly we’ve (as in the west) drawn a line up to where we accept to get involved, which has allowed Russia to get away with these barbaric acts. If only we’d been firmer and clearer earlier.
Fully embracing being the ultimate cnuts.

And yet, i know several people who blames it all on the US for the food exports being halted.

Russia can do whatever, many people hate the west so much that they will never blame Russia for anything ever.

Putin knows exactly how to squeeze out concessions from spineless leaders. Just threaten here and there from time to time. Many western leaders were prepared to give up Ukraine on the day Russian tanks rolled over the border. Only Ukraine's desperate fight for
Kyiv forced their hand for the first support wave, which opened the way for the next one and so on. It's pathetic and shameful how Russian threats freeze our leaders in fear.
When was the last time the west imposed new meaningful sanctions by the way? Anyone remembers? I don't. Looks like that's all we're willing to do, no matter how much terror, atrocities and barbarism Russia does daily in Ukraine.
And the worst part is, that Putin notices it of course. Any restraint from our side is interpreted as fear in the Kremlin and that emboldens them for new threats and demands.

Last edited: