Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

They've not been denied anything that could only be used defensively and wouldn't risk depleting NATO stocks. Everything that has been denied so far has been either offensive capable (long range missiles, jets) or would risk leaving the donor country short (tanks, jets).
If it's an existential war why would you want to limit a victim in any way?

Most western countries condemned the use of these weapons in Lybia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen, so if we keep telling ourselves that ukraine is in a way defending western values (democracy, joining EU, etc), I would just hope for a little consistency.

Most western countries condemned the use of these weapons in Lybia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen, so if we keep telling ourselves that ukraine is in a way defending western values (democracy, joining EU, etc), I would just hope for a little consistency.

That should be obvious, Western countries don't want to risk World War 3 by giving Ukraine equipment that can be used to strike inside Russia.

Well, that's a question we've been asking since day one. Its all politics, logistics, funds and fear of 'provoking' Putin.

These weapons should have been there a year ago ideally, along with many other things.

That should be obvious, Western countries don't want to risk World War 3 by giving Ukraine equipment that can be used to strike inside Russia.
If the requested weapons were given with the understanding they wouldn't be used in russian territory, do you think ukraine would just break that understanding once they got the weapons? It would be mad.

Well, that's a question we've been asking since day one. Its all politics, logistics, funds and fear of 'provoking' Putin.

These weapons should have been there a year ago ideally, along with many other things.
Kinda my point, the west never looked at this as an existential war, so seeing westerners now using that argument as a justification for this is a bit weird.

You can search this thread for "cluster" if you want a different perspective than what you'll get after the fact. Not many hits, but almost exclusively critical.

So Zelensky went from Snake Island to Turkiyë to Lviv in a single day. How did the logistics on that work? Did they fly into Lviv?

It feels like the US and UK’s relationship is getting increasingly strained.

The UK training Ukrainians on F16s, led to the US vetoing Wallace’s NATO appointment.

And now the UK has spoken out against providing cluster bombs to Ukraine, after the US sent them.

Hopefully it doesn’t negatively impact their approach to Ukraine.

Kinda my point, the west never looked at this as an existential war, so seeing westerners now using that argument as a justification for this is a bit weird.

Well, its not an existential war for the west... It is for Ukraine, so Ukraine begs for everything, the west eventually caves. That's pretty much how this has gone.

The UK training Ukrainians on F16s, led to the US vetoing Wallace’s NATO appointment.

And now the UK has spoken out against providing cluster bombs to Ukraine, after the US sent them.

The US strategy for Ukraine looks more misconceived by the day.

It's a shame the UK and EU didn't stand up to the US mid last year.

What's the end game? The war probably goes on until Western countries vote out the parties supporting it?

So far what's been achieved?The destruction of large sections of Eastern Ukraine.

The EU, UK, US and global economy heading in to a massive recession and the political instability and further austerity that will probably follow it?

Meanwhile, it looks like even after all that Russia will still be occupying Ukrainian territory.

Total failure on all counts.

What's the end game? The war probably goes on until Western countries vote out the parties supporting it?

So far what's been achieved?The destruction of large sections of Eastern Ukraine.

The EU, UK, US and global economy heading in to a massive recession and the political instability and further austerity that will probably follow it?

Meanwhile, it looks like even after all that Russia will still be occupying Ukrainian territory.

When's this recession going to occur?

Been hearing about it upwards of 18 months now.

Do you discuss NAFO in here? I've been seeing a lot of stuff about NAFO the last few days. Not good.
It's been mentioned in this thread but it's not really a subject of discussion. I do know politicians have caught on to it. Seems a social media thing.

If the requested weapons were given with the understanding they wouldn't be used in russian territory, do you think ukraine would just break that understanding once they got the weapons? It would be mad.

Who is going to take thar risk? A country whose very existence is under threat is not going to be the most trustworthy on that one.

Who is going to take thar risk? A country whose very existence is under threat is not going to be the most trustworthy on that one.
Anyone who believes ukraine are a rational actor.

What's this about?
Oh, nothing exciting, I believe they've had some conference in Vilnius (could be wrong about that) and it looks very lame. I was wondering if anyone here wanted to fight me about how lame it looks but not looking too promising thus far.

Oh, nothing exciting, I believe they've had some conference in Vilnius (could be wrong about that) and it looks very lame. I was wondering if anyone here wanted to fight me about how lame it looks but not looking too promising thus far.
What does it stand for or is 'nafo' an actual word?

The UK doesn't operate F16's so our guys would need training first before they could train Ukrainians

Just a bunch of trolls who spend their time taking the piss out of Russian propaganda. They seem to do good work on the whole, best way to deal with it.

It's definitely a difficult question, as even in the countries who deliver weapons it is not always clear.

Just looking at Germany, where chancellor Scholz publicly says that Ukraine will not use German weapons to attack Russian territories while defense minister Pistorius is much more open to it, considering attacks on military bases etc in Russia to be perfectly normal and reasonable in the current situation.

In that case, to whom Ukraine should listen? Scholz or Pistorius? And I bet it's not much different in other countries delivering stuff.

Only five years ago, Duda refused to participate in a joint ceremony with Ukraine to commemorate these events.

Reminds me of US tunnel rats in Vietnam. Extremely dangerous task...

What's your suggestion?

What are people thinking about the sports argument now? It makes me feel uncomfortable that so many Russian athletes/teams are still being booed or heavily restricted but there is little to no backlash against athletes from other nations. We (Scotland) were actually fined for booing the Israel national anthem when we played them/displaying a flag opposing them.