Rugby World Cup 2015 | Reminiscing Thread

I feel Joubert should have applied common sense considering the significance of the occasion.
but would have thought it should go to the video ref at least.
Such a vital moment and the ref doesn't ask the TMO for help..
Looks like it did on replays. But its weird they didnt go to TMO for that as the Scotland player said. Everything else was, and that was crucial as feck.

Not allowed as it wasn't a try or foul play.

The ref made the call that he saw. Fair enough. If it did bounce off an Aussie it was hard to see in real time (I have only seen it in real time and I couldn't tell either way) and in any case the Scottish player must have known they were offside so ill-discipline cost them the game.

Wowee! The emotion of relief is certainly a strong one. Got to feel for Scotland though. So close, but yet so far. Craig Joubert persona non grata again in the northern hemisphere in a World Cup. He bottled the last final yet was prepared to make the big call this time around. Hoping Argentina/Australia plays South Africa in the final. AUS and RSA need to improve on what they dished up this weekend just gone.

I have to say, as an Englishman I am absolutely delighted that Wales, Ireland and Scotland all lost. The reason? Their attitude towards England. Ok so not all of them but a vast majority. They have adopted a 'I support 2 teams - my country and whoever is playing England' attitude so as far as I'm concerned it was a weekend of karma!

I have to say, as an Englishman I am absolutely delighted that Wales, Ireland and Scotland all lost. The reason? Their attitude towards England. Ok so not all of them but a vast majority. They have adopted a 'I support 2 teams - my country and whoever is playing England' attitude so as far as I'm concerned it was a weekend of karma!
Many Aussies are the same. I support the Wallabies and whoever plays New Zealand. So, this weekend, c'mon South Africa!

The thing is, going in to the tournament and other sporting events, I would always support the rest of the UK were it not for their awful and generally bitter attitude towards us.
There is a lovely couple who go to my local pub quiz who are from New Zealand so I will be supporting them from now on!

It's not bitterness, England are just our rivals. I mean it would hardly be shocking if we supported, say, whoever Liverpool were playing on a given day either. Historical factors come into it too obviously, which I guess is why some English people don't seem to view those rivalries in quite the same way. I guess you could see it as petty but the same applies to all sporting rivalries really.

Now, pause for a moment and ask yourself why the countries you mention might want England to lose whatever sporting event it takes part in?

Local historical animosity aside, everybody hates the England rugby team. Not just their neighbours. Again, with good reason.

I can't read the whole article because it's behind a pay wall but note this quote in particular
the English take a perverse delight in everyone hating them
I'm not entirely sure what evidence Ali Williams has for this. I think most Englishmen and sports people would like nothing better than the home nations to all support each other but unfortunately this seems unlikely to ever happen!

Rugby Union represents and is represented by a very different demographic outside England which is why Rugby League is so popular in the north.

The thing is, going in to the tournament and other sporting events, I would always support the rest of the UK were it not for their awful and generally bitter attitude towards us.
:lol: I would love to live in your bubble, if only for one day.

To be fair, I'm with Chris. The home nations can be completely petty when it comes to England so I'll be petty right back.

They started it.

Referees for the semi finals:

South Africa vs New Zealand
Match official: Jerome Garces
Assistants: Romain Poite, John Lacey
TMO: George Ayoub

Argentina vs Australia
Match official: Wayne Barnes
Assistants: Jaco Peyper, George Clancy
TMO: Ben Skeen

Reckon Nigel Owens has been pencilled in for the World Cup Final. Romain Poite is one injury to Jerome Garces away fro refereeing this match and that'll make the Springboks and their fans who have long memories very happy :lol:.

Last edited:
How are NZ so good at rugby? Nation of 4.5 million yet so dominant. Whatever they're doing, it surely must be a model for other countries in any sport.

How are NZ so good at rugby? Nation of 4.5 million yet so dominant. Whatever they're doing, it surely must be a model for other countries in any sport.
It's like Brazil and football. Boy born, sleeps with a rugby ball in the crib wearing an ABs jersey.
Live, breathe, eat, sleep and dream any sport from an early age and you will more than likely become pretty good at it eventually.

I can't quite believe how unlucky we were with injuries. Crazy when I think about it. Consider if even New Zealand had lost the equivalent players - McCaw, Carter, Savea, Whitelock, Nonu or whichever 5 you would consider their best/most influential, and I wonder how they would cope.

I can't quite believe how unlucky we were with injuries. Crazy when I think about it. Consider if even New Zealand had lost the equivalent players - McCaw, Carter, Savea, Whitelock, Nonu or whichever 5 you would consider their best/most influential, and I wonder how they would cope.
Thats been the reason for NZ's success, the bench players come on and other teams cant live with that depth of player. Lose the 5 best players and NZ are still going to be able to make a semi final.

Thats been the reason for NZ's success, the bench players come on and other teams cant live with that depth of player. Lose the 5 best players and NZ are still going to be able to make a semi final.

Granted they have a great squad but I reckon Argentina would have beaten them if they lost those 5 mid tournament.

It's like Brazil and football. Boy born, sleeps with a rugby ball in the crib wearing an ABs jersey.
Live, breathe, eat, sleep and dream any sport from an early age and you will more than likely become pretty good at it eventually.

That's definitely a factor but there has to be more to it. And I think NZ have been better at rugby than Brazil have been good at football. Aren't they favourites for every WC by default? Do they have better infrastructure than any other country? Better youth coaching?

It's far from a dream. They weren't far doing it in the group stage against a full strength all blacks.
The AB's ran away from them when all the "2nd stringers" came on to the pitch for the last 20 minutes. Also early on in the tournament.
22 games, 21 wins to the AB's and 1 draw. Argentina have never beaten the AB's. Too much depth.

The AB's ran away from them when all the "2nd stringers" came on to the pitch for the last 20 minutes. Also early on in the tournament.
22 games, 21 wins to the AB's and 1 draw. Argentina have never beaten the AB's. Too much depth.

Sure they have the depth but you're underestimating the instability of losing your captain, pack leader, flyhalf and biggest attacking threat all at once. No side would avoid serious challenges in this situation.

Sure they have the depth but you're underestimating the instability of losing your captain, pack leader, flyhalf and biggest attacking threat all at once. No side would avoid serious challenges in this situation.
I think you are underestimating the depth of leadership and quality in the AB's and in NZ Rugby. 77% win record in over 100 years. I dont think any other sports team has as good a winning percentage. This particular AB side has huge depth, most commentators think its possibly the AB with the most depth ever.

I think you are underestimating the depth of leadership and quality in the AB's and in NZ Rugby. 77% win record in over 100 years. I dont think any other sports team has as good a winning percentage. This particular AB side has huge depth, most commentators think its possibly the AB with the most depth ever.

I've nothing but respect for them. I just wonder how semmlessly replacements would come in. No doubt they wouldn't mentally collapse like Ireland did in a way, due to the confidence that comes with playing with such a team but it would be quite a test.

The last time New Zealand played at Twickenham in the Rugby World Cup:

Another New Zealand loss there in semi final would be nice.

I notice Australia have delayed naming their side for the semi-final to give a last chance to some players to prove their fitness. I wonder if anyone on here who knows more about rugby than me can explain why rugby teams always announce their teams so early? I've always found it odd during the Six Nations that the teams are always announced during the week? Why not 45 minutes before like in football?

South Africa and New Zealand face each other in a world cup semifinal for the second time this year..for a chance to probably face Australia in the final, just like the last time they faced each other.

New Zealand won the first clash.
The game you're referencing was basically New Zealand's final wasn't it. Hopefully the rugby version is as good as the cricket semi final earlier this year. With my Wallabies cap on, i hope South Africa win a 100 minute bash fest.

The game you're referencing was basically New Zealand's final wasn't it. Hopefully the rugby version is as good as the cricket semi final earlier this year. With my Wallabies cap on, i hope South Africa win a 100 minute bash fest.

To be fair, as long as Argentina haven't totally blown out against Ireland (as Ireland did against France), Australia are in for a hell of a match too and it's not clear cut at all. Depends on the Aussie injuries and how fit Pocock actually is. I really hope Argentina haven't peaked because with my team out I want crackers of matches from now on :D

They played well that day, but D/L played a huge role in that match..but was an absolute classic...perhaps the best world cup semi since 99, when coincidentally Australia won both world cups..do you smell it too? The smell of deja vu..

Hopefully we see a couple of good games. I have no idea who will win these games, Aussies have the more likely win but AB's v SA is anyone's guess

They played well that day, but D/L played a huge role in that match..but was an absolute classic...perhaps the best world cup semi since 99, when coincidentally Australia won both world cups..do you smell it too? The smell of deja vu..

Australia won the cricket World Cup in 1999, so too did the Aussie netballers and expectation in the rugby World Cup was that they'd play New Zealand in the final. In 2015, Australia won the cricket and netball World Cups and again the expectation is they'll play New Zealand in this final.

To be fair, as long as Argentina haven't totally blown out against Ireland (as Ireland did against France), Australia are in for a hell of a match too and it's not clear cut at all. Depends on the Aussie injuries and how fit Pocock actually is. I really hope Argentina haven't peaked because with my team out I want crackers of matches from now on :D

Brian O'Driscoll on Rugby HQ said Argentina celebrated their quarter final win like they'd won the World Cup. Maybe that was just their passion taking over. Wallabies have had three high pressure crunch games in a row. It's bound to take its toll at some point.