Rugby World Cup 2015 | Reminiscing Thread

They said the ball hit an Aussie shoulder.

Looks like it did on replays. But its weird they didnt go to TMO for that as the Scotland player said. Everything else was, and that was crucial as feck.

Sport is so cruel sometimes. Was feeling shite about Ireland but couldn't imagine how the Scots are feeling, only them & Wales can really be proud out of the Home nations.

Ultimately it was the correct decision by Joubert. It came off the shoulder/chest of a Scotland player and therefore offside and penalty. That said, I still think he should have gone to the TMO, just to clear any lingering doubt about his initial decision.

Terrible for Scotland but we wouldn't even be having this discussion had the same situation happened in a pool match between New Zealand and Namibia.

Ultimately it was the correct decision by Joubert. It came off the shoulder/chest of a Scotland player and therefore offside and penalty. That said, I still think he should have gone to the TMO, just to clear any lingering doubt about his initial decision.

Terrible for Scotland but we wouldn't even be having this discussion had the same situation happened in a pool match between New Zealand and Namibia.
Are you sure? Lots of people saying the ball hit an Aussie shoulder and that the TMO should have stepped in. And the people saying that weren't Scots.

It clearly came off the aussi shoulder and the tackle knocked it back

Are you sure? Lots of people saying the ball hit an Aussie shoulder and that the TMO should have stepped in. And the people saying that weren't Scots.

Yes, after seeing the replays of the incident I'm confident it came off a Scottish shoulder/chest. Again, if I were the referee, I would have asked the TMO to intervene just to make sure. These things happen in a split second and it's maybe fair to say that Joubert was lucky in that his prompt call for an Aussie penalty proved to be correct.

On an unrelated note, I can't stand Australia and I hope Argentina thrash them in the semis.

This World Cup really has been great. Compared to the FIFA equivalent there's no comparison nowadays, I feel.

I think that the ball is played backwards by an Aussie and pushed forward by the 20 of Scotland but it's very close.

Itv showed an angle from the back where it showed without any shadow of a doubt that the last touch came off the Aussie player. The scot hits it with his shoulder then the Aussie flings his arms at it and it rolls down his arm towards the scot who caught it.

I think that the ball is played backwards by an Aussie and pushed forward by the 20 of Scotland but it's very close.

Could Joubert have asked the TMO for help, though, in such a situation? TMO intervention aside, I seem to have just recalled a law that states video replays can only be brought in by the referee if it's a goal line situation.

Here's the angle I was talking about:

I'm no rules expert so I don't know whether it was a penalty or not but would have thought it should go to the video ref at least.

Could Joubert have asked the TMO for help, though, in such a situation? TMO intervention aside, I seem to have just recalled a law that states video replays can only be brought in by the referee if it's a goal line situation.

He could have and he should have.

Here's the angle I was talking about:

With that very slow motion replay, it was a scrum for Australia.

He could have and he should have.

With that very slow motion replay, it was a scrum for Australia.

Fair enough. Exactly what I thought. Even if, by the letter of the law, the TMO can't be consulted in that situation, I feel Joubert should have applied common sense considering the significance of the occasion.

But I don't agree with the opinion that it should have been an Australian scrum for accidental offside. The Scottish player who was offside certainly could have avoided catching the ball.

This World Cup really has been great. Compared to the FIFA equivalent there's no comparison nowadays, I feel.
I definitely agree. But I think the games are completely different nowadays. International rugby is undoubtedly the pinnacle of rugby. On the other hand, in football, it's hard to argue against club football being the pinnacle with the exception of one month every four years.

Fair enough. Exactly what I thought. Even if, by the letter of the law, the TMO can't be consulted in that situation, I feel Joubert should have applied common sense considering the significance of the occasion.

But I don't agree with the opinion that it should have been an Australian scrum for accidental offside. The Scottish player who was offside certainly could have avoided catching the ball.

I see a knock ons from the 18 Australian but I'm maybe wrong.

I see a knock ons from the 18 Australian but I'm maybe wrong.

Damn, you're maybe right on that. But after watching the replay of the incident in that angle in slo-mo over and over again, I'm not sure what's right any more! :lol:

I definitely agree. But I think the games are completely different nowadays. International rugby is undoubtedly the pinnacle of rugby. On the other hand, in football, it's hard to argue against club football being the pinnacle with the exception of one month every four years.
it is but in europe the tide is starting to turn in the clubs favour because of the money.

it is but in europe the tide is starting to turn in the clubs favour because of the money.
Very true. And we're seeing the Southern Hemisphere countries starting to relax their rules on requirements to play club football within the country. I hope it doesn't go the way of football though - international rugby is brilliant.