Rugby World Cup 2015 | Reminiscing Thread

Agreed, but there was always the risk that they could've been out of sight by now. Their poor discipline is actually pathetic. If they were just patient and willing to wait for their chances, they'd cruise to this WC.

I agree on the discipline, no idea why they are infringing so much. Sure the Boks are being really good on defence, but you still have to be patient and smart.

It was obvious South Africa would keep it as tight as possible before the game. New Zealand haven't been allowed to play so far and they've been getting impatient as a result.

AB's with a drop kick! Shit man, they must be desperate, that's like Barcelona hoofing it into the box.

Can somebody explain to me why that's considered a penalty? The guy ran out of legs right in front of Habana there and won a penalty for it...

Pretty superb drop goal though, like Messi hoofing it straight onto someone's head for a sitter..

And you know Messi could do it too, but they would consider themselves above that, because they play football the "right" way etc. Like AB's in rugby.

Habana with a yellow! AB's did stellar a man down, lets see how the Boks do.

southern hemisphere teams are dirty and cyclical as feck.

AB's 2 tries, SA 0 tries but they have won it with the boot?

In open play, yes. Have you been watching the game? they kept all the territory with 10 men by kicking well while South Africa's kicking was woeful.

Well, we do what we can get away with. If we get away with it, great. If not, take the card, what can you do.

aye. think that's one of the main differences. better hands and better at bending the rules.

aye. think that's one of the main differences. better hands and better at bending the rules.

Pretty much. Look at McCaw; he's made a legendary career out of constantly cheating/toeing the line.

13 penalties conceded by NZ. Du Preez should really start getting on the ref's case about discipline etc

Good game this... Really tight and in the balance.

New Zealand should see this out now with the experience and quality they have but you just know South Africa are an awkward never say die team. One penalty and they win this potentially! But I think the final would be a lot poorer for having South Africa over New Zealand.

Sure, but bitter angry All Blacks supporters are fun to listen to after AB losses, that would be worth it.

Hmm... But there's very little that's pretty any South Africa! Which is why they tend to be so good in world cups because they know how to grind a game out and make it ugly.

That was a very scrappy game in the end. Nice and tight at least, though SA looked second best the whole time I was watching.

Ah well, was pulling for the Boks, but the better team on paper and on the day won.

That was a very scrappy game in the end. Nice and tight at least, though SA looked second best the whole time I was watching.

They were the better team in the first half. New Zealand did enough in the second half, though.

Very frustrating loss especially cause this is a golden generation for us and with everyone fit and at their best, I think we win games like that. The likes of Oosthuizen, Spies, Brussow, Hougaard, Serfontein, Alberts, Goosen should have started the match had they not been suffering from injuries so much in the past few years, instead we had to rely on the old guard, some reliable yet not so talented pros and really young lads to try to push us through. Great to know that we still have that spirit and never die attitude and I think it also proves that despite for calls for us to change the way our game is played, our way will still work if executed correctly.

I worry for our future cause the youth don't seem to have that real top class level in them and the ones that do have it are always on the physios table. Also the exodus of south african talent in rugby has cost us quite a lot recently as wherever they go they play at a much lower level than Super rugby and often take quite a long time to return the the level we need at test rugby.

Very disappointed in Pollard today. Don't think I'll ever forgive him for these past two games. His kicking in the open game was hopeless and in the past game his goal kicking fell apart in pressure situations. Something tells me he's not quite the next Steyn as we thought he was.

Farewell to the great Du Preez and Big Vic Matfield. I'll always appreciate what they've done for our country in the sport. So much success, so much quality both at club and international level.

I fear for our coach, seems everyone wants to see him move so the country can get a coach that's going to come in and initiate a different style of rugby something that I think is preposterous. Us trying to be New Zealand isn't gonna end well, fighting fire with water has always been wiser than fighting it with fire.

Very disappointed in Pollard today. Don't think I'll ever forgive him for these past two games. His kicking in the open game was hopeless and in the past game his goal kicking fell apart in pressure situations. Something tells me he's not quite the next Steyn as we thought he was.

Pollard bottled it. I was at Twickenham yesterday and from where I was seated, having seen the match again on replay, his kicking game from midfield was even more atrocious.

But the turning point for me was when the officials pulled back JP's intercept for New Zealand advantage, only to be reversed for a South Africa penalty. South Africa would have gone on and win had the officials played the game on.

I think I'm going to have a heart attack.

I almost thought I did. It was proper scary, my heart was beating wildly for a few minutes and got a bit lightheaded that I had to sit down and close my eyes for a bit.

Eddie Jones will be coaching the Stormers next season. Feel Heyneke Meyer or whoever South Africa's coach is next year should bring Jones in to help their attack. It can be done. Stephen Larkham is the Brumbies coach and is looking after the Wallabies backs coach. All blacks were told before the match that Nigel Owens will referee the final.

Sounds a bloody awful things to say, but I won't be that disappointed if Argentina win tonight. It'd be damn sweet to beat New Zealand in a final, but I can't stand the prospect of losing a final to New Zealand. I could accept New Zealand winning the World Cup vs Argentina knowing Australia weren't good enough to make the final in any case as long it's won fair and square.

Paul Hayward's article in the telegraph is a fecking disgrace too. The Rugby World Cup final doesn't need New Zealand in it to make it a great event. The 91 final was fine without them, the 2003 was an epic match and a great occasion without them. South Africa, had they won last night would have made for a fine final vs Argentina/ Australia too.

Pollard bottled it. I was at Twickenham yesterday and from where I was seated, having seen the match again on replay, his kicking game from midfield was even more atrocious.

But the turning point for me was when the officials pulled back JP's intercept for New Zealand advantage, only to be reversed for a South Africa penalty. South Africa would have gone on and win had the officials played the game on.

I almost thought I did. It was proper scary, my heart was beating wildly for a few minutes and got a bit lightheaded that I had to sit down and close my eyes for a bit.

It's hard to see how any advantage could have been played in that scenario though, the penalty reversal was by the TMO.

Congrats scumbags. To be fair to them two tries to nil brings a sense of justice to the match, yet nobody was prepared to focus on that last week when the wallabies won scoring 5 tries to 3. When world rugby's darlings, sacred cows win it becomes justice. Richie McCaw will NOT be banned next week under any circumstances. He could shoot somebody on the field and he wouldn't be suspended for a World Cup final let alone his last match. Hate the all blacks more than Real Madrid.

What was McCaw up to?

Fully agree with this. South African rugby commentator Matt Pearce

New Zealand are not the guardian angels of what's good, right and proper in rugby. They're just as cynical and negative as everybody else when need be.