Round of 16 | France vs Belgium | Portugal vs Slovenia

Daniel Sturridge (Fox) needs to put a suit on.

His outfit is really quite shocking :lol:

Like many of the games we’ve seen, the pitch is in a real state.

Frankfurt is the only bad pitch I’ve seen. But boy is it bad. Apparently had back to back NFL games on it half way through the season and has never recovered. Had to relaid in parts, multiple times, but haven’t been able to fix it in time. Needs a whole summer to bed in properly.

Shouldn’t be hosting games if they can’t provide a professional standard pitch.

There's three teams on this pitch. Slovenia, 10-man Portugal, and a past-it Homelander.

Slovenia's gameplan seems to be to wait for the other two to nullify each other, and go for a smash-and-grab in the 90th. All they need to do is make sure that Bruno continues to have a terrible game, and the plan might still work.

It doesn't matter anyways. If we pass Slovenia, we have the French next. Our only chance is Leão turning into Éder.
This team should be led not by Ronaldo or Pepe, but rather by Fernandes, Silva, Vitinha and Cancelo, particularly the first two. It’s not happening. Portugal won’t have many opportunities against France. And so yes, an Eder would be needed.

Eric Dier introduced himself here as almost more portuguese than english, so thats something haha.

I still have doubts if we can manage to agree with Fulham but i would be happy if we get Palhinha.
Only downside is his age.
Hehe Dier is English but he is a product from our academy. His parents were working at the Euro 2004 in Portugal and he stayed here most of his life. If it wasn't for the Bayern offer, he was actually going to return to us.

Palhinha will give you guys 4 quality years. That's what Bayern needs.

Eric Dier introduced himself here as almost more portuguese than english, so thats something haha.

I still have doubts if we can manage to agree with Fulham but i would be happy if we get Palhinha.
Only downside is his age.

Palhinha is really good. Underrated by many because he isn’t flashy or aggressive. But really efficient, intelligent positioning, good distribution and technique. Like him a lot. He’s the sort of player that balances a team and helps everyone else be better.

This team should be led not by Ronaldo or Pepe, but rather by Fernandes, Silva, Vitinha and Cancelo, particularly the first two. It’s not happening. Portugal won’t have many opportunities against France. And so yes, an Eder would be needed.
I think that transition will only happen when both retire.

Ronaldo shouldn’t be playing. They should have Jota or Felix up front.

It really does feel like Portugal are more focused on setting Ronaldo up to score than actually scoring.

Reminds me of that Europa League game we had here where we did the same thing and it almost cost us the match.

I’ve been in lauding Sesko on my potential transfer wish list for a while now, and I’m finally ready to admit that I’d never watched him play properly. Because based on this tournament so far, I wouldn’t have him anywhere near it. :lol:

A good lesson to actually watch a lot of games from a player before pushing for his signing, because I’m sure he’s nowhere near as good as his reputation suggests, but also nowhere near as bad as this tournament makes him seem.
It’s always going to be to really difficult to play striker for a team with 30% possession. Of course you’d want to watch a player before judging his quality, that would be normal behaviour. But you’d have to do it in games where the teams are more even.

Man I really like this Portugal team. Vitinha, Bruno, Bernardo are amazing technical players. I'm quite annoyed Vitinha joined PSG he should really be at one of the biggest clubs in the world, not wasting away in that team.

Shame the ego maniac makes it all about himself.

Ronaldo shouldn’t be playing. They should have Jota or Felix up front.
How is Pepe preventing Silva from playing well?! Pepe has been much better throughout this tournament than the younger lad.

Just look at the poor shot from Silva a minute ago.

Does anyone rate Nuno mendes? I have watched him so many times and he has never impressed me.

I think that transition will only happen when both retire.

As a Portuguese fan, are you not ready for that transition to happen already? As a neutral I look at the team and am thinking how much better they’d be with the likes of Silva or Inacio instead of Pepe, and somebody mobile up front instead of Ronaldo.

Portugal have so many gifted midfielders who can pick a pass… Fernandes, Vitinha, Bernardo, Neves…. that I’d hate to face them if they put on some players who had the pace and movement to get in behind, like Jota and Neto.

Miss the days we had proper wingers.

Enjoyed Ronaldo seeing you can push, so just pushing the Slovenia player back

If Spain don't win this whole thing, it'll be a tragedy. They've been by far the best team. Mind you, I'll be absolutely delighted.

I don't think Martinez rates him. He gives primacy to Conceiçao and Neto which is tragic. Our national team is just a web of interest. The best don't play.
It’s a shame. It may be because when he’s off his game his technical level is shocking, it bounces off him all over the place. When he’s on it though he’s a joy to watch, got an absolute desire to win and wriggles past people ricochet style. It’s odd he’s not getting more minutes as he’s always got a moment in him.

Portugal really could win this tournament but the setup doesn’t seem optimal. They unfortunately do seem to look for Ronaldo more often than not and I’m one of the ones who still thinks he can play a role, just not in the capacity they’re using him.

Interesting FK for Ronaldo. He can score from that distance

As a Portuguese fan, are you not ready for that transition to happen already? As a neutral I look at the team and am thinking how much better they’d be with the likes of Silva or Inacio instead of Pepe, and somebody mobile up front instead of Ronaldo.

Portugal have so many gifted midfielders who can pick a pass… Fernandes, Vitinha, Bernardo, Neves…. that I’d hate to face them if they put on some players who had the pace and movement to get in behind, like Jota and Neto.
Leao, Jota, Neto would be a hell of a front three.

Ronaldo so eager to take the ball there as soon as the ref blew up. Literally snatched it. This guy will DIE if he doesn’t get his goal Jesus Christ :lol:

Agree with everything you wrote but we will only achieve that when we have a proper organization in our FA and a new President that eradicates Mendes influence. It will take a miracle though. Mendes is like the Italian mafia with his influence.