Round of 16 | France vs Belgium | Portugal vs Slovenia

Portugal looking a bit like us with the space between midfield and attack

Honestly, the two B’s are not playing well for Portugal. If Bruno and Bernardo are doing nothing, it’s difficult for Portugal to create chances.

Agreed. Haven’t seen much of him during the regular season but have heard so many glowing reviews. Seen every game he’s played this tournament and yet to see him do anything good at all. Major let down. Had to be better than this surely? If not where on earth did his reputation come from?
Just took a random 35 yard shot straight at the keeper when they were on a 3v4 counter

Just tuned into the match & saw four or five Portugal players warming up already. Is it going that poorly for Portugal?
Tragic. Makes Fernando Santos stint look like total football

The difference being that Kane has still scored twice for an underperforming England team, while Ronaldo has been missing chance after chance for a Portugal team that has been creating them.
Hmm, C.Ronaldo would’ve scored those too, but Kane - the way he’s moving this tourney - wouldn’t even be in position to attempt to miss the shots C.Ron is.

Ronaldo and Portugal:

giphy.gif

Slovenia is really not taking advantage of some of those counters, they'll be punished if they don't take those "chances".
Portugal is playing better logically and the stick here against CR it's a bit too much, he looks pretty involved and needs some players closer to him to intearct.

Im really warming up to the idea of us signing Palhinha.
With the ball he is limited, but against the ball i really, really like him, great tacklings, good positioning and decision making.
He reminds me of Javi Martinez.

Slovenia have pulled themselves together admirably over this first half.

Honestly, the two B’s are not playing well for Portugal. If Bruno and Bernardo are doing nothing, it’s difficult for Portugal to create chances.
They are creating chances with their crosses. A younger Ronaldo would have headed in two or three by now.

Agreed. Haven’t seen much of him during the regular season but have heard so many glowing reviews. Seen every game he’s played this tournament and yet to see him do anything good at all. Major let down. Had to be better than this surely? If not where on earth did his reputation come from?

He scored some goals in Austrian 2nd division on loan and people went crazy because he's a 6'5'' striker and part of the Red Bull system.

Im really warming up to the idea of us signing Palhinha.
With the ball he is limited, but against the ball i really, really like him, great tacklings, good positioning and decision making.
He reminds me of Javi Martinez.

I've always been a fan of Palhinha and have no idea he's only playing for Fulham.

That was close there from Palinha. Its kind of what happens when someone other than number 7 takes a shot nowadays.

really close from Palinha, and the Slovenian defense were really close to comitt a penalty against Leao

Pepe and Ronaldo looked better and fought more than Fernandes and Silva.

How did he get the job. Has the most amazing trajectory when his career highlight is winning the FA cup whilst relegating Wigan.
No idea. It was a total surprise for everyone. Mendes probably had some influence. That's why Martinez keeps calling players from his carrousel of players.

Bruno 7 successful passes out of 13 attempts so far. Yikes. Not the best half

Portugal can’t keep indulging C.Ronaldo. He’ll actually get them knocked out at this rate.

I’ve been in lauding Sesko on my potential transfer wish list for a while now, and I’m finally ready to admit that I’d never watched him play properly. Because based on this tournament so far, I wouldn’t have him anywhere near it. :lol:

A good lesson to actually watch a lot of games from a player before pushing for his signing, because I’m sure he’s nowhere near as good as his reputation suggests, but also nowhere near as bad as this tournament makes him seem.