Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

He did well with Inter because they put fish in his diet. Thats the key.

Lukaku speaks 14 languages and can write with his feet. He's smart.

Lukaku seems more and more like a big baby. The way he left United and gave away training results to prove, he was not that slow. The way he left Inter and says he is sorry, when he wants to return. The way he treats Chelsea, who toke him in at a young age.

I'm actually surprised more footballers don't speak more languages in general, to speak another language fluently immersion I'd say is critical, and with them living in different countries, and mixing with different nationalities on a consistent basis from the age of 5 they're in a privileged position, obviously most don't take advantage of it, but even a team mate of Lukaku, Kovačić speaks 5, whilst a fair few others speak 3.

Lukaku grew up speaking French and Flemish having being born in Belgium whilst speaking Lingala to relatives, that's three right off the bat then having lived in England and Italy, while not common for most people let alone footballers, he then spoke English and Italian.

During his time in England he stayed with a Portuguese team mate (immersion) and learned his language, its genuinely impressive but considering footballers are in the perfect environment for learning languages and have all the time in the world, I wouldn't say its exceptional.

Lukaku knows French, Flemish, Lingala, English, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and some German apparently? The only languages there that you could say are unusual is Spanish and German as he had no ties there (aside from team mates) and considering Spanish and Portuguese have close linguistic ties, that only really leaves German as the standout, to what level is his German? I couldn't say, but it would be interesting to see an interview in German (I'm off to Google).

Yeah, some people are just a bit strange for me. I lived in Dakar for almost a year and after a couple of months I was able to converse in Wolof and also learned portuguese since I was mainly around Cap Verdians and portuguese. Now I almost completely lost Wolof and portuguese stuck a bit more since it's a closer to spanish and french. But I wouldn't tell anyone that I speak Portuguese or Wolof, it would be a gross exaggeration.

It is very much debatable as there are millions of examples of all over the world of people speaking several languages without them being specially smart, when I said "Einstein" I was purposely exaggerating.
My initial point is that if one speaks several languages, it gives me no indication of one's level of intellect whatsoever. Speaking several languages isn't that special at all in many parts of the world.

Good thing I didn’t refer to him as smart or whatever you understand that to be. In regards to him being intelligent. I’ve already addressed that, a basic definition of intelligence is the ability to learn/acquire knowledge and apply it efficiently. Speaking multiple languages fluently is a reflection of said concept. Couple it with him being a very successful striker, and what that entails, Lukaku has plenty of intelligence markers for me to label him intelligent.

Good thing I didn’t refer to him as smart or whatever you understand that to be. In regards to him being intelligent. I’ve already addressed that, a basic definition of intelligence is the ability to learn/acquire knowledge and apply it efficiently. Speaking multiple languages fluently is a reflection of said concept. Couple it with him being a very successful striker, and what that entails, Lukaku has plenty of intelligence markers for me to label him intelligent.

Tbh I didn't have Lukaku's example on my mind here, I was talking in general which is why it seems we are in disagreement when we are just talking about 2 separate things

Liverpool are playing their youth keeper today. Big Rom would've had a field day.

Smart thing by Tuchel to exclude the donkey. Its shows great leadership and its not like Lukaku would do anything remarkable against Pool anyway.

I agree that being able to speak multiple languages doesnt necessarily mean someone is intelligent. I lived my teenager life having to spoke several languages to people around me, I can speak at least 4 but I wont say I master them. So its more about conditioning and habbit more than anything. And I dont consider myself smart either, I'm dumb to be honest.

Yeah, some people are just a bit strange for me. I lived in Dakar for almost a year and after a couple of months I was able to converse in Wolof and also learned portuguese since I was mainly around Cap Verdians and portuguese. Now I almost completely lost Wolof and portuguese stuck a bit more since it's a closer to spanish and french. But I wouldn't tell anyone that I speak Portuguese or Wolof, it would be a gross exaggeration.

I think this is the thing, to what level does Lukaku speak these languages? My girlfriend is British born Chinese, and I remember asking her if she spoke Cantonese or Mandarin and her response was neither - I didn't think anything of it until she got a phone call from her grandmother and she started speaking Cantonese, I was obviously shocked, but she said she gets by, but wouldn't say she could speak it as she wasn't fluent.

I'm the same with Welsh, I could hold a conversation, but I don't tick any boxes saying I'm a Welsh speaker on job postings etc, I can also understand a little French and Cantonese, does that mean I know 4 languages? Absolutely not.

Making an assumption, but I guess Lukaku knows enough to get by in most of his languages he says he knows which is impressive, but considering his job and where/how he grew up, I wouldn't call him intelligent considering all the evidence of his daft antics.

I'm skeptical about that kind of things, unless you use and used that language continuously it's unlikely that you are fluent. I'm personally at four languages and then there are three others that I understand but I wouldn't say that I speak them, mainly because I don't use them often and it takes me time to be comfortable.

he did an interview in Portuguese though

but yeah he’s probably not super fluent but clearly has an aptitude for learning languages

I have Portuguese mates I haven’t learned shit

Since this thread is already sidetracked.. Here and here you can see some of his language skills. At least seems to be speaking French, Dutch, Italian, English and Spanish (somewhat) fluently.

but yeah he’s probably not super fluent but clearly has an aptitude for learning languages

That's because you didn't try. :D

I wouldn’t care if Lukaku translates ancient Greek texts. He’s a clown and Tuchel is right to drop him.

Put the whole team in a difficult position and now 2 nil down and lucky to have 11 on the pitch. Agent Rom....

It's not like he scores against the better sides.

Speaking multiple languages equating to being intelligent is probably one of the weirdest concepts I have read on the Caf.

Dropped for his comments or dropped because he's shit against any half decent side?

He was also getting benched a bit before the Covid/injury wasn't he?

Agreed. You only need few hundred words in a language to do basic interview. Far from fluent. Many foreign players do interviews in broken English. Yes they can speak English but very little.

He's likely only fluent in his native Congolese language, French, Flemish and English. Italian he probably knows in a conversational manner. The rest is likely to be basic. To know a language fluently, you need practice and exposure. Otherwise, it can get rusty quite fast.

The reason I say this is because I know many multi-lingual people. I'm also multi-lingual, fluent in my parent's native languages (Hindi and Gujarati), English. But I can speak conversationally in broken Spanish. I can speak very broken Russian and German too. This doesn't mean I know 6 languages. Whenever, I'm Spain longer than a week, my Spanish naturally improves quite fast, but right now I'm in broken Spanish mode.

What Lukaku does have is a foundation to build on them, which is still impressive. If he moved to Sporting Lisbon, he would quickly be able to pick up the foundations.

Also, another thing to bear in mind is that because he knew French, it was likely easier for him quickly pick up other Latin group languages like Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.

The interview was supposedly done weeks ago, right? So before doing the interview and getting to the point feeling the need to do an interview about feeling unhappy, he had only returned a matter of months

Glad the rest of the league is finally starting to figure out how overrated this lump is. It never suited anyone, mostly the ABUs, that Lukaku wasn’t worth the hype when he was at United.