Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Hes a businessman who owns businesses. You would be an oligarch in a heartbeat if anyone would have you too. Don’t seem how he’s directly linked to the war.

Really, read up first.

"Roman is now a majority shareholder in Evraz, the steel company who’s supplying it to the military for the tanks and vehicles, he transferred his shares directly to himself from an offshore company 8 days before the Ukraine invasion. For the government that’s absolutely black and white in terms of being directly involved with the Ukraine war. "

Hes a businessman who owns businesses. You would be an oligarch in a heartbeat if anyone would have you too. Don’t seem how he’s directly linked to the war.

Read what the UK Government has said about Abramovich and Evraz.

I'm sure he does love the club or cares for it in a way that's totally different from his other business ventures, but we were talking about him acting in the best interest of the club. That isn't something he can claim if he engages in a legal battle that could sink the club and land it in a world of trouble. It was easy to announce that to the world when he could finesse the sale in way where still walks away with his billions.

If we can't pay any players and they end up having their contracts voided and we end up with huge points deductions while he engages in a lengthy court battle, then he would leaving the club in a worse position than he found it in 20 years ago.

I can't say I'd describe his actions in the last 2 weeks as acting solely in the best interest of the club. I actually think he's been selfish and has been trying to find quick ways to take his money out, or legally relinquish ownership but still having an avenue to influence decision making - because he knew sanctions were coming.

Chelsea aren't worth 3bn while his debt is still in the club, hence why despite so many people putting in bids i'm sure they have well below the number he wanted to not only get his 1.5bn back but also get some profit on top.
If he truly acted selflessly, he could've put you guys on the market for closer to 2-1.5bn, written his debt off and allowed you to move on with new owners.

We'll see what happens in the next few days & weeks.

The Glazers aren't actively supporting a regime that is at war. If they would, please sanction them as much as needed.

Chelsea belongs to Abramovich. Like he owns houses and cars. They take away his houses and cars, they can take away the club. Why not?

As others have said, they allowed KSA to take control of an English despite their invasion of Yemen, so this "actively supporting" is really a poor excuse.

And it would have been fine if it was against Abramovich only, and not just a one thing out of plethora of stupid punishment of literally anything holding the Russian nationality.

You didn't reply on the point of them banning Russia's national team and clubs from playing in FIFA and UEFA competitions while Israel and USA teams are playing in them fine ?

Absolutely, he is one of the biggest Tory party donors and a property developer who probably see the potential opportunity for Chelsea to move to EC (which has been a disaster so far) then develop SB; especially as he has the political influence to pull such a thing off.

I am almost certain he will get it now with today's news. Only question, is who will be involved along with him.

He's lifelong Chelsea fan too, so I'm not opposed to him, apart from feeling apprehensive, which I would be regardless of who took over.

FNejQd4XMAE4Zjp

Really, read up first.

"Roman is now a majority shareholder in Evraz, the steel company who’s supplying it to the military for the tanks and vehicles, he transferred his shares directly to himself from an offshore company 8 days before the Ukraine invasion. For the government that’s absolutely black and white in terms of being directly involved with the Ukraine war. "

So the farmers who supply food to the army are all criminals too then?

Would you turn down the opportunity to own a steel factory that produced steel for the military in your country?

I will take this line of argument seriously when they sanction the western countries that supply the saudis and other crackpot regimes with weapons to kill innocents.

While I agree with that stance in principle and consider the Saudi's cnuts, 2 wrongs do not make a right and the only way to influence the war in Ukraine is to sanction Russian Oligarch's key to the states function.

Unfortunately the Saudi's are our allies

City are also owned by a autocratic, repressive, homophobic regime that has committed war crimes in Yemen
Victims of crimes committed by Western allies are unworthy victims. Victims of crimes committed by the West's "enemies" are worthy victims. We're supposed to ignore the former and pity the latter. It's a propaganda model embedded in Western media forever, as described in Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent".

Victims of crimes committed by Western allies are unworthy victims. Victims of crimes committed by the West's "enemies" are worthy victims. We're supposed to ignore the former and pity the latter. It's a propaganda model embedded in Western media forever, as described in Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent".

Basically this. It all depends on who's the victims. Hypocrisy.

Yes, but I haven’t seen anything about Roman directly supporting the invasion… whereas the crown prince is ACTIVELY taking meetings with Putin and refused two calls from the US President. The Prince IS supporting the invasion. But since he’s not ethnically Russian … that’s ok?
He’s supplying steal to Russia’s weapons manufacturers.

Would you turn down the opportunity to own a steel factory that produced steel for the military in your country?

No they aren't.

And yes, I would.

As others have said, they allowed KSA to take control of an English despite their invasion of Yemen, so this "actively supporting" is really a poor excuse.

And it would have been fine if it was against Abramovich only, and not just a one thing out of plethora of stupid punishment of literally anything holding the Russian nationality.

You didn't reply on the point of them banning Russia's national team and clubs from playing in FIFA and UEFA competitions while Israel and USA teams are playing in them fine ?

They can ban Israel and USA for all I care. It doesn't matter that they haven't that Russia shouldn't be punished. Is it hypocrisy? Probably. Should Russia be punished for starting a war? Yes.

Don't know if it's been asked already, but what about away fans attendance at Stamford Bridge, will they be able to buy tickets?

Also, does this mean we can get out of contract Rudiger in the summer? This would surely justify @mazhar13 's obsession with him.

Only tickets already sold.

So Newcastle can have fans at the game.

They can ban Israel and USA for all I care. It doesn't matter that they haven't that Russia shouldn't be punished. Is it hypocrisy? Probably. Should they be punished for starting a war? Yes.

Hypocrisy is the point of discussion we have been talking about it from the start. Ridiculous to allow other invaders go away without punishment then go on and punish literally anything that has Russian nationality attached to it and it all depends on which country is getting invaded. A farce, can't be described by anything else.

Abrahmovic didn't win a steel factory in a lottery, he testified that he employed gangsters to help take control of public assets and bribed government officials to buy public assets at pennies in the pound. Many people who worked in the steel and aluminium industries were murdered during the power grab that happened.

I can't say I'd describe his actions in the last 2 weeks as acting solely in the best interest of the club. I actually think he's been selfish and has been trying to find quick ways to take his money out, or legally relinquish ownership but still having an avenue to influence decision making - because he knew sanctions were coming.

Chelsea aren't worth 3bn while his debt is still in the club, hence why despite so many people putting in bids i'm sure they have well below the number he wanted to not only get his 1.5bn back but also get some profit on top.
If he truly acted selflessly, he could've put you guys on the market for closer to 2-1.5bn, written his debt off and allowed you to move on with new owners.

We'll see what happens in the next few days & weeks.

I agree with you and he could in theory still allow the the government to seize the club and over the sale and continue to fight the sanctions in court. It would just be about the the proceeds of the sale rather then ownership of the club itself.

To be honest, I could be talking out of my arse here. I'm not too well versed in stuff like this works.

Hypocrisy is the point of discussion we have been talking about it from the start. Ridiculous to allow other invaders go away without punishment then go on and punish literally anything that has Russian nationality attached to it and it all depends on which country is getting invaded. A farce, can't be described by anything else.
Anything? The sanctioned people should have already been sanctioned years ago. There should be at least 10000 more people on that list.

Abramovich has been great for Chelsea why would the fans not cheer him on? He’s not a war criminal and if you ignore the groupthink that is framing all Russians as criminals you might realize this.
It is frightening that people think like this and are so misinformed on the subject.

Abrahmovic didn't win a steel factory in a lottery, he testified that he employed gangsters to help take control of public assets and bribed government officials to buy public assets at pennies in the pound. Many people who worked in the steel and aluminium industries were murdered during the power grab that happened.
Would you turn down the opportunity to murder and bribe people in order to supply a dictatorship with steel for an illegal war against one of its neighbouring countries just to become incredibly rich in the process?

Any idea when he bought into the Steel company? Was it before the war was announced? Before the troop build up? If it was before the troop build up then clearly he knew the invasion was happening and has been trying to profit from it. In that case all of his media briefings have been absolute horseshit.

How long until innocent Russian citizens around the world are assaulted (be it verbally or physically) by association?

I feel it will be a lot worse than the Chinese people getting similar due to Covid sadly.

Sadly the normal person is used as a pawn in these sad times. The west is trying to make the normal Russian suffer so that might actually revolt and spark a political uprising in Russia.

Anyways your club is fecked.

Anything? The sanctioned people should have already been sanctioned years ago. There should be at least 10000 more people on that list.

And why weren't they sanctioned these years ago ? They waited till their country invaded another one to remember and start sanctioning them ? Why aren't people from other invading countries getting penalized ?

We're not talking about Russia deserving it or not, we're talking about the hypocrisy.

Twitter

Chelsea Football Club has been advised that its owner Roman Abramovich has been sanctioned by the UK Government.

By virtue of his 100 per cent ownership of Chelsea FC plc and affiliated entities, Chelsea FC would normally be subject to the same sanctions regime as Mr Abramovich. However, the UK Government has issued a general licence that permits Chelsea FC to continue certain activities.

We will fulfil our men’s and women’s team fixtures today against Norwich and West Ham, respectively, and intend to engage in discussions with the UK Government regarding the scope of the licence. This will include seeking permission for the licence to be amended in order to allow the Club to operate as normal as possible. We will also be seeking guidance from the UK Government on the impact of these measures on the Chelsea Foundation and its important work in our communities.

The Club will update further when it is appropriate

I agree with you and he could in theory still allow the the government to seize the club and over the sale and continue to fight the sanctions in court. It would just be about the the proceeds of the sale rather then ownership of the club itself.

To be honest, I could be talking out of my arse here. I'm not too well versed in stuff like this works.
I read on the Shed End that after a couple of days the government can sell the club and if if/when the dust settles Roman sues and wins the government would owe him the proceedings of the sale.

It's just a post from a (from my experience good) posted so not 100% sure if that's true but if it is we'll probably have Candy in this time next week.

Sadly the normal person is used as a pawn in these sad times. The west is trying to make the normal Russian suffer so that might actually revolt and spark a political uprising in Russia.
My post was in the context of the xenophobia they will likely receive for years if not decades.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel Russian citizens living abroad are in serious risk of assaults (verbally or otherwise) or worse.

Disagree with people saying this is wrong because it affects fans etc... people love doing this whenever any kind of punishment is doled out to a corrupt or damaging institution. E.g. "What are all the oil rig workers going to do if we decarbonise???" It's a viewpoint which means it is impossible to ever do anything about anything.

That being said, under the prevailing ownership model in English football, almost every club is one geopolitical shift, market downturn or disinterested benefactor away from disaster. Fans need a meaningful stake in their clubs.

It’s wilful ignorance on your part to spout shite like this.

1. Close this browser tab
2. Read the sanctions document (not the media headlines and takeaways)
3. Come back here with the new knowledge.

Probably sounds sarcastic af but it’s really that simple. He’s absolutely linked to the conflict. Just go and read about it and let your mind change, it’s healthy.

How do you know that you are not the one who is misinformed?
When you try to talk about Russian farmers being culpable in the invasion of Ukraine because they supply the food which Russian soldiers eat, then I think everyone can decide who is the ill-informed party here :lol:.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he does, I can't see him giving up ownership for nothing because he has had 2 weeks to sell you off and retain some money even if he sold you for 1.8bn (a realistic valuation imo) and got 300m back. He clearly wanted to profit, or thought he had more time maybe, so I think he'll fight it out in court.