Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Could he sell to a Chinese consortium? He's not likely to be sanctioned by them and he can accept the payment in yen or some other equity assets.

It's hard to predict what will happen because this is pretty fecking unprecedented. I'd hope he just walks away and allows the club to survive this shitstorm relatively unscathed.
I think he will do this. For what its worth, its the least messy approach and reflects him the best way.

But I don't know how big a hit this takes on his net worth.

I love how the response to that impassioned and well researched argument was "yeah but he's grown to love the club".
"And fans have grown to love him"

Yes, spunking 2bn on transfers and securing trophies for your former shed based football club will do that.

R/Chelsea on reddit is just full, full to the brim of people trying to explain away any links between roman and putin. And its even less full, but still full enough of Putin apologists.

Sorry but this whole Russian thing is starting to become a farce. Call against wars but this treatment for anything that has the Russian nationality on it is becoming ridiculous. We haven't seen this happen to many other invading countries. Nothing happened to USA or Israel when they did such things.

Hypocrisy at its finest.
I get what you're saying, moreso that this same energy should be repeated for other similar conflicts. But in the case of Abramovich? Hes not just some random Russian. He has a direct role in all of this.

The Saudis were just allowed to buy Newcastle, and presumably will be funding them, and they've been bombing civilians in Yemen for years. It can certainly be seen as unfair that Roman gets punished for his association to an evil regime, while an actual evil regime is allowed to do whatever.

I don't really see it that way. Assholes getting their comeuppance is never going to seem unfair to me.

It's definitely shameful from the authorities that murderous regime dicks were allowed buy any clubs in the first place. The 'association' talk I find a little funny though. It's not like he's a self-made billionaire who happened to meet Putin a few times. Where do you think all of his money came from?

Could he sell to a Chinese consortium? He's not likely to be sanctioned by them and he can accept the payment in yen or some other equity assets.

No. Not unless the club itself moved to China or they fancied paying for an asset that can't legally be transfered to them.

Plenty of banks have handled sanctioned money and clients over the years, London is terrible for it. The monies will eventually find it's way back to Roman someday I'm sure but it won't be so direct.

I love how the response to that impassioned and well researched argument was "yeah but he's grown to love the club".
It is the same with City as well though. The reason they have to say these things is to keep in favour with the club. I have heard that City wine and dine these media bastards like kings.

R/Chelsea on reddit is just full, full to the brim of people trying to explain away any links between roman and putin. And its even less full, but still full enough of Putin apologists.
The „beauty“ of sportswashing. Not only do you buy a club, you buy hordes of fans who willingly defend you against any allegations whatsoever, no matter how true or serious they might be.

No. Not unless the club itself moved to China or they fancied paying for an asset that can't legally be transfered to them.

Plenty of banks have handled sanctioned money and clients over the years, London is terrible for it. The monies will eventually find it's way back to Roman someday I'm sure but it won't be so direct.

It can't be sold because the ownership is frozen
It can be sold

I think he will do this. For what its worth, its the least messy approach and reflects him the best way.

But I don't know how big a hit this takes on his net worth.

That's my hope. He claims he's acting in the best interest of the club. We'll get to see if that's true very soon.

It is the same with City as well though. The reason they have to say these things is to keep in favour with the club. I have heard that City wine and dine these media bastards like kings.

Absolutely. I think the MEN were the first onboard with that particularly gravy train.

The government are essentially saying 'Your asset is frozen and unless you give all proceeds of the sale to us or (maybe Ukranian charities) we're going to completely tank the value of your asset and bankrupt it'. A big decision for Abrahamovic as I believe Chelsea AFC make up 25% of his net wealth. We'll see how much he does actually love the club now. I imagine he'll want to hang onto his asset until some deal can be made with either a peace treaty or something like that which sees his asset becoming unfrozen.

If that is the case if the war goes on through the summer Chelsea are going to suffer serious pain. Will they even be allowed to receive TV money? fecking delicious

The problem is he can't receive any money for any sale of Chelsea FC as long as he's sanctioned. In order for a sale to go through, RA would have to basically give up 2-3 billion pounds. It's much more likely to be a drawn-out process with lawyers involved.

It can't be sold because the ownership is frozen

Are you implying that Chelsea cannot be sold? They specifically said the sale will continue. RA cannot profit from the sale. It seems he knew this was coming with the statement of all proceeds will go to charity, the victims of the Ukraine War. I am not much into conspiracy theories but it almost seem people in the British government advised him exactly how to proceed with sanctions coming.

Silly question and I know a tweet gave context but I forgot.

Can Chelsea pay staff?

I have just realised we have a league game tonight. I suppose we'll see more idiots chanting Abramovich's name again.

* sigh *

I think a lot of them would be pretty young. Most of the level headed fans want to get away from Roman, all clubs will have those apologist. And TBF Chelsea fans on here are among the best oppo fans, even the guy who was a gambling addict.

Are you implying that Chelsea cannot be sold? They specifically said the sale will continue. RA cannot profit from the sale. It seems he knew this was coming with the statement of all proceeds will go to charity, the victims of the Ukraine War. I am not mush into conspiracy theories but it almost seem people in the British government advised him exactly how to proceed with sanctions coming.
No, it can only go ahead if Roman basically hands it over. Roman can’t sell Chelsea. It literally can’t be sold unless Roman gives it over. It’s like that with every seized asset surely?

That's my hope. He claims he's acting with the best interest of the club at heart. We'll get to see if that's true very soon.

That was when he was trying to sell for 3bn.
Now he'd be selling for 0 on top of whatever else is in his asset portfolio that's been frozen by the UK Government and any other foreign government.

He'd be losing a considerable chunk of his net worth for nothing, i'm sure it would be nice if he did it - but I don't think its a foregone conclusion that he automatically will.

No, it can only go ahead if Roman basically hands it over. Roman can’t sell Chelsea. It literally can’t be sold unless Roman gives it over. It’s like that with every seized asset surely?

I have not read the sanctions. This really does make it impossible for him to just say it was for sale and then after all this blows over keep Chelsea, which was a possibility. He has offers. I am sure Boehly and Wyss are feeling pretty good about getting their offer in before this happened. I support Chelsea, the club will go on.

It can be sold

This is actually a very good development because Abramovich's PR claim that the proceeds would go to 'Victims of the war' is spurious at best. Just like giving the club to the club's charity and helping negotiating for peace were PR statements to buy time, it's pretty unreasonable to assume an oligarch who did some seriously dodgy stuff in the past would willingly give up billions when it'd be relatively easy for him to squirrel away the money instead.

I agree, but it's one thing sanctioning random people just because they are Russian, and another thing to sanction them because they are criminals and oligarchs supporting a dictator. I m all in for the second one.
Yia sactioning Oligarchs makes sense. I still feel for normal every day Russians who are going to suffer while having nothing to do with this war. I was at a UK naturalization ceremony this week and there were three Russians there. Two of them had Ukrainian colours on and a third poor soul didn't have them, she clearly became aware of that and was on the verge of crying the whole ceremony. Obviously these three people are far away from the war but there are lot of Russians who are suffering as well due to the mad man at the top.

I have not read the sanctions. This really does make it impossible for him to just say it was for sale and then after all this blows over keep Chelsea, which was a possibility. He has offers. I am sure Boehly and Wyss are feeling pretty good about getting their offer in before this happened. I support Chelsea, the club will go on.
My worry would be it’s a Tory government. There’s a real danger some doner gets the wattsapp fast lane treatment and the buddies divy up the profits. I’m not even sure how the government even handles it. Would they simply sell off the assets?

How many clubs do the USA or Israel own?

You realize Glazers and FSG are Americans, right ?

And Israel national teams and clubs are allowed to play in World Cup qualification matches and UEFA competitions, something FIFA and UEFA even went on and stripped Russian national team and clubs of.

I have just realised we have a league game tonight. I suppose we'll see more idiots chanting Abramovich's name again.

* sigh *

Every club has their share of idiots, don't stress over it.

That was when he was trying to sell for 3bn.
Now he'd be selling for 0 on top of whatever else is in his asset portfolio that's been frozen by the UK Government and any other foreign government.

He'd be losing a considerable chunk of his net worth for nothing, i'm sure it would be nice if he did it - but I don't think its a foregone conclusion that he automatically will.

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt that he will but it'll be put to the test and we'll get to see if he was sincere about that or not. He'll know fighting it in court will mean sanctions are extended beyond the end of May and at that point, Chelsea's ability to trade, or even pay player's salaries is impacted, which brings forward the threat of points deductions etc.

Not walking away could genuinely sink the club.

Love the idea of the Chelsea squad packing into a megabus to Lille for the second leg, only £20 each way!

Are you implying that Chelsea cannot be sold? They specifically said the sale will continue. RA cannot profit from the sale. It seems he knew this was coming with the statement of all proceeds will go to charity, the victims of the Ukraine War. I am not much into conspiracy theories but it almost seem people in the British government advised him exactly how to proceed with sanctions coming.

Can't profit or can not receive any funds from the sale? Or are all his funds from sale frozen until a resolution is made? Big differences. Then there are the issues of how the loans and financial structuring of Chelsea and Abrahamovic's factor into a sale.

Last week Abramovich released a statement saying ‘I will not be asking for any loans to be repaid. This has never been about business nor money for me, but about pure passion for the game and club’.

I wonder if he actually officially wrote off the debt before the club was taken from him or if it remained on the books for accounting purposes (even though he says he didnt intend to claim it)?

Is it possible that Chelsea could find themselves in a situation where the UK government - as defacto owners - sell the club to the highest bidder whilst also claiming they want the debt repaid to the previous owner i.e. themselves?