Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

My worry would be it’s a Tory government. There’s a real danger some doner gets the wattsapp fast lane treatment and the buddies divy up the profits. I’m not even sure how the government even handles it. Would they simply sell off the assets?

The government won't be selling off the assets. The sale will end up being managed by a third party with proceeds held in trust and essentially frozen themselves.

Chelsea will go on and Roman will spend years fighting it. Unless the government prove the funds used to purchase Chelsea were dirty then it'll eventually end up back with Roman most likely.

I was at OT in 2004 when the Chelsea fans carried US flags and chanted "USA, USA, USA" at us for 90-mins....so I'd just like to remind them of this now and say this....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

United fans have long warned against the dangers of these kinds of people/organisations owning football clubs. It's not because 'we are jealous' or we're scared of competition, it's because in almost every, single scenario, it works out badly for the game and usually, ultimately bad for the club that gets bought.

Sanctioning Abramovich (for Russian War in Ukraine) just a few months after allowing MBS (whose bombing of Yemen the UK is personally involved in) to indirectly buy Newcastle is hypocrisy at its finest.

I love how the response to that impassioned and well researched argument was "yeah but he's grown to love the club".
It really is absurd isn't it! :lol:

I'd love to be given some stolen wealth and then invest it in my local football club that was being offered for £1. I would invest a large amount of it in the club, buy some world class players and I'm sure I would "grow to love the club" as well.

It's like robbing a bank and then spending it on a business that you grow to love!

Yia sactioning Oligarchs makes sense. I still feel for normal every day Russians who are going to suffer while having nothing to do with this war. I was at a UK naturalization ceremony this week and there were three Russians there. Two of them had Ukrainian colours on and a third poor soul didn't have them, she clearly became aware of that and was on the verge of crying the whole ceremony. Obviously these three people are far away from the war but there are lot of Russians who are suffering as well due to the mad man at the top.
How long until innocent Russian citizens around the world are assaulted (be it verbally or physically) by association?

I feel it will be a lot worse than the Chinese people getting similar due to Covid sadly.

Every club has their share of idiots, don't stress over it.
Ha ha. A City fan talking about clubs having a share of idiots.
" Every club has a share of idiots".
But for most clubs that is a minority.
E.g. some Chelsea fans still cheer Abramovic.
Whereas All glory-seeking City fans who cheerlead the UAE's despicable sportswashing project fall neatly into the category of useful idiots for the barbaric UAE's propaganda machine.

It will be interesting to see how they manage to travel away in Europe.

There'd be what - 24/25 players and at least another 15 coaches and staff? Plus all the gear. Flights, transfers, accommodation, food. I don't think that can be done for £20k, unless they take public transport and stay in a Travellodge.
Ryanair? :)

But no budget to pay for pre booked seats or early boarding. :nono:

Join the 'common people', leg it for a seat and pray you're not sat next to a screaming toddler...

... or a Millwall fan.

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt that he will but it'll be put to the test and we'll get to see if he was sincere about that or not. He'll know fighting it in court will mean sanctions are extended beyond the end of May and at that point, Chelsea's ability to trade, or even pay player's salaries is impacted, which brings forward the threat of points deductions etc.

Not walking away could genuinely sink the club.

Looking at your financials, I agree you currently cannot sustain yourself without external investment.
But does he lose somewhere between 20-35% (depending on both his net worth & the true valuation of chelsea) of his net worth for nothing?
He loves Chelsea, I think that much is clear, and purely as an owner, he's clearly one of the best examples anyone has ever seen.
So if he does decide to hold on & try to fight the sanctions or retain his assets through court - I don't think it's fair to say that he doesn't have affection for your club. He clearly does, and has shown that through 19/20 odd years of investing well over 1bn and getting comparatively nothing in return. I doubt he treats his other business ventures in the same way.

But it's also pretty clear that he's a ruthless businessman who became a billionaire through exploitation & corruption, so it's certainly not guaranteed that he'll suddenly give up Chelsea for nothing. I doubt he's going to give up his London property portfolio for nothing either for example, if he thinks he has a case to win against the court he might see it through.

I’m sure the sale will still go through relatively soon, a resolution will be found one way or another.

This is the downside to being owned by an oligarch or a state, people don’t mind the upside so they just have to suck it up now. Sanctioning him is the correct decision, they’ll be some short term pain for Chelsea and then uncertainty of what new owners will be like.

Ryanair? :)

But no budget to pay for pre booked seats or early boarding. :nono:

Join the 'common people', leg it for a seat and pray you're not sat next to a screaming toddler...

... or a Millwall fan.

It's good for them that PSG won't be in the next round.

Might have been a bit awkward had they to take the train out to the stadium in Paris.

I love how the response to that impassioned and well researched argument was "yeah but he's grown to love the club".

There’s very little morality in football, it’s a ridiculous response but we’ll see very similar things being said about Newcastle owners of anyone says anything negative about them.

My worry would be it’s a Tory government. There’s a real danger some doner gets the wattsapp fast lane treatment and the buddies divy up the profits. I’m not even sure how the government even handles it. Would they simply sell off the assets?

Nick Candy will absolutely get fast tracked to the front of the queue and allowed to purchases the club on the cheap, if Abramovich agrees to hand over the club. It's in the first page of the Tory play book.

It's not the worst outcome in the world, and he'll have huge interest in redeveloping the Bridge given his background, but it would be highly ironic to fight polticial corruption with more political corruption.

Increasing evidence that assets can be removed, you don't really own assets.

It's a complete mess.

Hi everyone first time posting here.
There is a glaringly obvious issue with a “quick sale through the gov”

As already established in black and white RA has directly destabilised Ukraine through his Steel company.

Allowing a quick sale through the UK gov would directly fund one of the countries that is opposing Russia in the war.

I’d be amazed if Putin wasn’t putting immense pressure on RA not to allow such a sale, the optics in terms of propaganda and a “win” for the west would be immense in the war.

I think this will drag on and on, RA personal feelings for the club don’t override his personal protection and wealth.

You realize Glazers and FSG are Americans, right ?

And Israel national teams and clubs are allowed to play in World Cup qualification matches and UEFA competitions, something FIFA and UEFA even went on and stripped Russian national team and clubs of.

The Glazers aren't actively supporting a regime that is at war. If they would, please sanction them as much as needed.

Chelsea belongs to Abramovich. Like he owns houses and cars. They take away his houses and cars, they can take away the club. Why not?

It's good for them that PSG won't be in the next round.

Might have been a bit awkward had they to take the train out to the stadium in Paris.
:lol: That would be karma?

But you're right, it'll be about 40 people each trip so £500 per person.

I want to see the internal email Chelsea send round their staff saying "bring your own butties".

Azpi "what have you got?"

Rudiger "turkey and pickle. You?"

Azpi "just cheese. Swap?"

Rudiger "nah..."

Last edited:
I have just realised we have a league game tonight. I suppose we'll see more idiots chanting Abramovich's name again.

* sigh *

Abramovich has been great for Chelsea why would the fans not cheer him on? He’s not a war criminal and if you ignore the groupthink that is framing all Russians as criminals you might realize this.

Less competition for Saudi owned Newcastle on the come up

What's alarming is how it's deemed Roman has been caught red handed in supplying metal to Russia yet selling actual weapons and planes to Saudi Arabia is all fine. Our government and anyone else involved in these deals need rounding up.

By the way I'm not supporting Roman. Chelsea, City, Newcastle all dodgy as hell and should never been allowed to happen. All that is won is tainted for me and doesn't count.

Abramovich has been great for Chelsea why would the fans not cheer him on? He’s not a war criminal and if you ignore the groupthink that is framing all Russians as criminals you might realize this.

Most Russian civilians don’t wash money for Putin tbf.

:lol: That would be karma?

But you're right, it'll be about 40 people each trip so £500 per person.

I want to see the internal email Chelsea send round their staff saying "bring your own butties".

Fair whack of gear as well. I'd say it costs an absolute fortune to travel to these games.

Who is framing all Russians as criminals?

People are specifically talking about an actual criminal who has personally profited from the war.

Can someone save me a read through and confirm what this actually means?

Will Chelsea sink back to their natural pre matey level? I.e. battling for midtable?

how many will this wheel in?

The British government seems to think differently.

He's been sanctioned because his business dealings coming up to the war in Ukraine indicate he knew about it ahead of time. He supplied the steel for the weaponary that is now commiting war crimes in Ukraine. He's complicit

He isn't a random Russian mate. He's been a key figure to the running of the country for the last 2 decades

The government won't be selling off the assets. The sale will end up being managed by a third party with proceeds held in trust and essentially frozen themselves.

Chelsea will go on and Roman will spend years fighting it. Unless the government prove the funds used to purchase Chelsea were dirty then it'll eventually end up back with Roman most likely.

This. Too many people are getting giddy at the thought of Chelsea going bankrupt/going down the shoot.

As you outline, most likely outcome:

1) Chelsea get sold. Seriously, while the deadline was this week for bids, did anyone think it would be completed by end of May, which conveniently is that date the sanctions lift?

2) It is likely that the sale will go through, then the funds are frozen by the Government. Chelsea will move forward with the new owner (although the liklihood is that they're not as generous as RA.)

3) RA then goes through the courts to get the money unfrozen and/or gives it to charity like promised. Potentially their is a deal in there somewhere.

Looking at your financials, I agree you currently cannot sustain yourself without external investment.
But does he lose somewhere between 20-35% (depending on both his net worth & the true valuation of chelsea) of his net worth for nothing?
He loves Chelsea, I think that much is clear, and purely as an owner, he's clearly one of the best examples anyone has ever seen.
So if he does decide to hold on & try to fight the sanctions or retain his assets through court - I don't think it's fair to say that he doesn't have affection for your club. He clearly does, and has shown that through 19/20 odd years of investing well over 1bn and getting comparatively nothing in return. I doubt he treats his other business ventures in the same way.

But it's also pretty clear that he's a ruthless businessman who became a billionaire through exploitation & corruption, so it's certainly not guaranteed that he'll suddenly give up Chelsea for nothing. I doubt he's going to give up his London property portfolio for nothing either for example, if he thinks he has a case to win against the court he might see it through.

I'm sure he does love the club or cares for it in a way that's totally different from his other business ventures, but we were talking about him acting in the best interest of the club. That isn't something he can claim if he engages in a legal battle that could sink the club and land it in a world of trouble. It was easy to announce that to the world when he could finesse the sale in way where still walks away with his billions.

If we can't pay any players and they end up having their contracts voided and we end up with huge points deductions while he engages in a lengthy court battle, then he would leaving the club in a worse position than he found it in 20 years ago.

He's a criminal who uses his wealth for evil. I have no interest in glorifying that.

Nick Candy will absolutely get fast tracked to the front of the queue and allowed to purchases the club on the cheap, if Abramovich agrees to hand over the club. It's in the first page of the Tory play book.

It's not the worst outcome in the world, and he'll have huge interest in redeveloping the Bridge given his background, but it would be highly ironic to fight polticial corruption with more political corruption.

Absolutely, he is one of the biggest Tory party donors and a property developer who probably see the potential opportunity for Chelsea to move to EC (which has been a disaster so far) then develop SB; especially as he has the political influence to pull such a thing off.

I am almost certain he will get it now with today's news. Only question, is who will be involved along with him.

You realize Glazers and FSG are Americans, right ?

And Israel national teams and clubs are allowed to play in World Cup qualification matches and UEFA competitions, something FIFA and UEFA even went on and stripped Russian national team and clubs of.

Not sure you’re fully understanding this

But they can sell to someone who could potentially asset strip the club? What’s the criteria here?
edit even then Chelsea can’t spend a penny until everything is 100 percent given up by Roman.

They didn’t forget. They didn’t care. The success of their favorite club was more important to them, than any kind of morals.
Probably true, but would like to think it just was kicked into the long grass.

How long until innocent Russian citizens around the world are assaulted (be it verbally or physically) by association?

Much longer than the time taken by Russia to actually assault & murder innocent Ukrainians in their own country.

Are you going to be in the mirror saying Candyman repeatedly morning, noon and night?

He's a criminal who uses his wealth for evil. I have no interest in glorifying that.

Hes a businessman who owns businesses. You would be an oligarch in a heartbeat if anyone would have you too. Don’t seem how he’s directly linked to the war.

He's been sanctioned because his business dealings coming up to the war in Ukraine indicate he knew about it ahead of time. He supplied the steel for the weaponary that is now commiting war crimes in Ukraine. He's complicit

He isn't a random Russian mate. He's been a key figure to the running of the country for the last 2 decades

I will take this line of argument seriously when they sanction the western countries that supply the saudis and other crackpot regimes with weapons to kill innocents.

Hes a businessman who owns businesses. You would be an oligarch in a heartbeat if anyone would have you too. Don’t seem how he’s directly linked to the war.

one of his corporations delivers steel to build Russian tanks and other military equipment. He’s directly benefitting off the war.