Renato Sanches joins Bayern

@Kevin

Quote Aug 8 2014:

" But then there´s the inconsistency. He is very prone to positional errors and concentration lapses. He is also a complete nutcase. He´s been sent off so many times in very stupid fashion. He has a very poor disciplinary record. It´s always the same thing with Rojo. He gets sent off and costs us a game and he starts getting booed and people at the stands say that we are better off selling him. But then he comes back and plays spectaculary again for 5 or 6 games till he does the same crappy judgement errors."

"Key issue with Rojo is that he needs a mentally strong and disciplinarian manager. A manager with personality. It´s not a surprise that Rojo´s best phase at Sporting was last year with now Mónaco manager Leonardo Jardim. He was a very strict manager. I think Van Gaal could control and improve him even more. Ronaldo Koeman, with what he showed at Benfica, i highly doubt that."

Quote from Aug 9 2014:

"First year at Sporting, Rojo also looked out of depth and a liability. Then he started to turn things around and is an important player now. He was good for us last year bar the usual concentration lapses and disciplinary problems. Along William Carvalho, he was the backbone of our defensive stability. In the World Cup, he recieved big praise from Simeone. And that coming from one of the best managers in defensive terms shows his quality."

Quote Aug 14 2014:

On the Rojo 15 million fee i said:

"Is Rojo worth all the hassle? Surely a club like United has other alternatives. "

Quote Aug 19 2014:

"I´d like to give encouraging words but Rojo is a nutcase. Some of his tackles are mind boggling. I think it comes from his aggressive nature. Heinze was the same in the few games i saw from him at Sporting. He also has to cut the arguing with the refs stance all the time. Portuguese refs are more permissive. English refs won´t tolerate that. Van Gaal will have to do alot of physicological work with Rojo. Sometimes there absolutely no need to be so aggressive. I think his overall game would benefit from that. Keeping his cool and concentration in crucial moments of the game"

Quote Aug 20 2014

"I deliberatly deleted Shaw from the quote. I won´t argue about the LB spot because although he was good for Argentina in that position in the WC, at Sporting he never convinced me."

Let's not turn this into a personal pissing match.

And that's the problem for me, you should never be desperate to sign a particular player. Football is played with 11 players, the game is all about synergy, so one player isn't going to be the determining point, unless you are doing a poor job.
I would have liked to see us sign Sanches since he looks like a genuine talent but not for that price, not yet.

If not now, when? There aren't too many situations in which we can sign him from here. If we do, it'll be at a higher cost or because he failed at Bayern.

@Kevin

Quote Aug 8 2014:

" But then there´s the inconsistency. He is very prone to positional errors and concentration lapses. He is also a complete nutcase. He´s been sent off so many times in very stupid fashion. He has a very poor disciplinary record. It´s always the same thing with Rojo. He gets sent off and costs us a game and he starts getting booed and people at the stands say that we are better off selling him. But then he comes back and plays spectaculary again for 5 or 6 games till he does the same crappy judgement errors."

"Key issue with Rojo is that he needs a mentally strong and disciplinarian manager. A manager with personality. It´s not a surprise that Rojo´s best phase at Sporting was last year with now Mónaco manager Leonardo Jardim. He was a very strict manager. I think Van Gaal could control and improve him even more. Ronaldo Koeman, with what he showed at Benfica, i highly doubt that."

Quote from Aug 9 2014:

"First year at Sporting, Rojo also looked out of depth and a liability. Then he started to turn things around and is an important player now. He was good for us last year bar the usual concentration lapses and disciplinary problems. Along William Carvalho, he was the backbone of our defensive stability. In the World Cup, he recieved big praise from Simeone. And that coming from one of the best managers in defensive terms shows his quality."

Quote Aug 14 2014:

On the Rojo 15 million fee i said:

"Is Rojo worth all the hassle? Surely a club like United has other alternatives. "

Quote Aug 19 2014:

"I´d like to give encouraging words but Rojo is a nutcase.Some of his tackles are mind boggling. I think it comes from his aggressive nature. Heinze was the same in the few games i saw from him at Sporting. He also has to cut the arguing with the refs stance all the time. Portuguese refs are more permissive. English refs won´t tolerate that. Van Gaal will have to do alot of physicological work with Rojo. Sometimes there absolutely no need to be so aggressive. I think his overall game would benefit from that. Keeping his cool and concentration in crucial moments of the game"

Quote Aug 20 2014

"I deliberatly deleted Shaw from the quote. I won´t argue about the LB spot because although he was good for Argentina in that position in the WC, at Sporting he never convinced me."
All that tells me is that you need treatment for multiple personality disorder.

Heh heh, nah seriously Analysing the way the transfer went you seemed to had a full rage stage when Rojo incensed you with his behaviour of refusing to train, then come around a bit because you had to accept reality and went full on "he will make it despite having a few weaknesses that need ironing out" after a drunken session of jerking off hearing that you were getting Nani on loan as part of the deal.

Let's not turn this into a personal pissing match.

I won't i´m just defending my position regarding professor Kevin but i'm still helping out with stuff about Renato Sanches and translating stuff.

Not worried, I don't know where this fits in the Prochess. We could all be fine.

No idea why people are so disappointed/angry etc on missing out on Sanches. First of all, it is doubtful how many have seen him play and know for sure he is definitely a big star in making. Second, Bayern right now are more attractive option than us so even if scouted and were interested, Sanches can easily choose Bayern over us as it guarantees him trophies quicker. Third, I am not sure we need more 18 year olds in our squad. In all departments, we have 18-19 year olds with good talent and potential (particularly if one assumes TFM in midfield role in long term). What we need this season is a CB, a CDM/CM, a striker and possibly a winger, all with good amount of experience under their belt so that we get a good mix of experience and potential. So missing out on 18 year old is not end of the world.
Agree with this.

I won't blame him for being able to convince a player to join us ahead of Bayern. It's his job to get the best deal possible for the club and seeing how long the negotiations have been going on for, that's what he's been doing. Bayern turning up later on is just something he can't have an answer to.
Fair enough.

Perhaps we felt confident enough that we could close the deal and allowed negotiations to drag on this long. Once Bayern came in , we obviously stood no chance.

The fact that we arent much of a football force though can be partly attributed to Woodward and his manager. Yes they have not had the best hand, but they have a lot to answer for a part of our decline.

The Sport Lisboa e Benfica - Futebol, SAD announces that it has reached agreement with Bayern Munich for the transfer of Renato Junior Luz Sanches, for the amount of € 35,000,000 (thirty five million).

The agreement includes additional amounts, with a total amount of € 45,000,000 (forty-five million euros), dependent on the achievement of goals until June 30, 2021.

From their website

I get excited about most transfers, but this was one I didn't (easy to say no obviously)
Not seen him play much, but with the comments I saw from Benfica fans etc, I think the guy needs time to develop, and with the fee's quoted, I'd much rather got for an established player right now, that could cost less with all them potential add ons.

In 4 or so years, I may regret saying this, but right now, it's not a transfer that gutted me, like the Hazard one etc

If not now, when? There aren't too many situations in which we can sign him from here. If we do, it'll be at a higher cost or because he failed at Bayern.

By "not yet", I mean that he is not worth that amount yet. Now that he is at Bayern I don't care about him joining United, there is other players and there will be other players.

If we scouted him so many times without taking decisive action, it suggests that we were quite unsure about his quality/price-tag anyway.

Does anyone else find the difference in narrative weird between United spending 80m euros on an unproven 18 year old and Bayern doing the same.

It seems no matter what the outcome would have been it would have ended up with journalists and fans popping up all over twitter and forums to say how united have "embarrassed" themselves...
Spot on.

No idea why people are so disappointed/angry etc on missing out on Sanches. First of all, it is doubtful how many have seen him play and know for sure he is definitely a big star in making. Second, Bayern right now are more attractive option than us so even if scouted and were interested, Sanches can easily choose Bayern over us as it guarantees him trophies quicker. Third, I am not sure we need more 18 year olds in our squad. In all departments, we have 18-19 year olds with good talent and potential (particularly if one assumes TFM in midfield role in long term). What we need this season is a CB, a CDM/CM, a striker and possibly a winger, all with good amount of experience under their belt so that we get a good mix of experience and potential. So missing out on 18 year old is not end of the world.
I'm not particularly bothered, it's just being sick of negative, negative headlines all the time. This player snubbed us, that player snubbed us, we've signed some player nobody has ever heard of and then wonder why he is rubbish. It would just be nice for something really positive. Maybe the headlines next weekend will be Manchester City missing out on CL and we can all have a good laugh.

So now we have lost out on both Dembele and Sanches, probably the two biggest talents that where available to us this summer, way to go Woody. I can't wait for your excuses about us not wanting them in the first place as we were busy trying to get Neymar, Messi and fecking Maradona.

By "not yet", I mean that he is not worth that amount yet. Now that he is at Bayern I don't care about him joining United, there is other players and there will be other players.

Yeah, I agree. It would have been quite interesting to see how he would have developed, though.

All that tells me is that you need treatment for multiple personality disorder.

Heh heh, nah seriously Analysing the way the transfer went you seemed to had a full rage stage when Rojo incensed you with his behaviour of refusing to train, then come around a bit because you had to accept reality and went full on "he will make it despite having a few weaknesses that need ironing out" after a drunken session of jerking off hearing that you were getting Nani on loan as part of the deal.

Nah, you are the one who have to come down from your pedestal and understand that i'm not a footballing scholar like yourself and just gave my assessment of Rojo from HIS TIME AT SPORTING. I admit that i was angry when he refused to train but even so i didn't forget what he did for us football wise, gave us good money transfer wise and apologized to the club so i still rooted for him to make it at United since i have a soft spot for both him and the club. Just to close this affair, who knows, perhaps Mourinho can work his magic and turn him into a decent player for United. He has worked on bigger miracles such as turning crap players like Nuno Valente or Pedro Mendes into world beaters

Does anyone else find the difference in narrative weird between United spending 80m euros on an unproven 18 year old and Bayern doing the same.

It seems no matter what the outcome would have been it would have ended up with journalists and fans popping up all over twitter and forums to say how united have "embarrassed" themselves...

Gary Lineker made the same point to Times journo Rory Smith on twitter. As far as I'm aware, Sanches could be a top player but Bayern are paying top money for him so that's fair enough.

If we scouted him so many times without taking decisive action, it suggests that we were quite unsure about his quality/price-tag anyway.

Apparently souted in 20 times? Bit of a waste of time and energy just to figure out he's not worth it.

That's all very well, but the bottom line is that we've missed out on signing the name on every knowledgeable football fan's lips: Tomato Sachnez.

That's all very well, but the bottom line is that we've missed out on signing the name on every knowledgeable football fan's lips: Tomato Sachnez.
In fairness the tomato sandwich joke potential almost makes me annoyed at missing out on him.

In fairness the tomato sandwich joke potential almost makes me annoyed at missing out on him.

It's pissed The Sun off royal, mate. And the Mirror.

I'll have you know I've been watching Porto all season in the Romanian Premier League because of this lad and believe me when I tell you he's going to be a star. Remember the name: Humberto Bantez.

:lol:

Meanwhile, Sports Witness reckons that Sanches chose Bayern 'personally' and another source claims that United 'decided not to buy him'.

Since I've never seen him play I can't really say if he is good or not but considering that Bayern made that deal happen and spent some considerable money on him he can't be really bad. Still I don't think he is a player in an areas where we immediately need strengthening. I'm more bummed out that we lost out on Dembele, if we were ever in for him, he would have instantly added some spark to our right wing imo.

Omfg woodwood y u do ***?

Not good enough for United, some said, but good enough for Bayern?

We fecked up again, it seems.

feck Woodward.

Another example of the genius of United's management team it seems.

Getting a Director of Football is even more important than a new manager.
And if he flops and doesn't meets the heights then no drama. Lets see him actually do something worthwhile first

Was there ever any concrete proof that we were in for in, because I remember when we were meant to be signing Thiago, but he later confirmed we never had talks with him?

And if he flops and doesn't meets the heights then no drama. Lets see him actually do something worthwhile first

Still can't believe Woodward let Benatia go to Bayern.

Just for the "feck Woodward" lovers. Woodward's signings and their prestige at the time;

2014/15:

- Luke Shaw - 18 years old and one of the league's best LBs.
- Angel Di Maria - no comment needed.
- Falcao - no comment needed.
- Herrera - dynamic midfielder we were crying out for.
- Rojo - Argentina's first choice LB at the WC.
- Blind - great versatile player, amazing passer.
- Valdes - injury prone but great free gamble.

2015/16:

- Schneiderlin - rated best CDM in the league.
- Schweinsteger - Germany's captain.
- Darmian - Italy's first choice RB.
- Romero - eh?
- Martial - future potential (and look at what happened next).

Yet you all think he's doing a rubbish job and dithers too much on transfers? I doubt we were even in for Sanches - we get used in the media every year by players/agents/clubs to drive up prices and push deals through. Get used to it.
I agree. He has spoilt us in terms of investment recently. People seem to think we must sign every player the media links us with irrespective as to whether they were feasible

This would be a lot more fun if it was Liverpool that missed out on him. The excuses would be even more hilarious than ours.

Don't see the issue really, teams miss out on players. Just hope it's down to us not being interested with his price tag and it isn't down to something else, like us being unsure about the next manager.

Impressive from Bayern though, we could learn a lot form them.

And if he doesn't flop & does reach the heights?
Look we got lucky with Martial, but do we need an 18 year old CM right now? 18 year old to waltz into our premier league midfield and start bossing it/controlling the game. Bayern have enough midfielders to allow him to develop. At us he will need to be ready now. Better off going for Gundogan

Gary Lineker made the same point to Times journo Rory Smith on twitter. As far as I'm aware, Sanches could be a top player but Bayern are paying top money for him so that's fair enough.

Gary is the biggest culprit of such anti united jibes tho.....