Renato Sanches joins Bayern

This Hangen guy must be on the wind up surely? Scouted 2 times and signed for 35 + 45 in bonus. This board could explode if it's us that do thing like that.
Again, the 'scouted twice' thing makes zero sense. We've certainly scouted/researched Benfica as a team a lot more just as preparation for the CL quarterfinals. Maybe we only sent someone to watch him twice after we had played against Benfica in the CL, but I'm fairly certain that our scouting and coaching team did extensive research on him. Hell, we played against him twice ffs. That alone is worth more than scouting him twice.

They got him for 80m Which we were hesitant to offer. Its like 45 in bonuses? We were offering 20m in bonuses i think.

What? 45m in bonuses, more than his initial price of 35m?

You could be right. Its such an ambiguous statement from Benfica.

However one thing is certain from here now on. The Martial deal was a gamechanger. From now on, clubs will have to pay a premium even for young talent.

No, they won't. Clubs just have to say "no", the beauty with young players is that there is a lot of them and a lot of them are genuinely talented, you just need to widen your nets.

Yeah because this is woodwards fault, Bayern are a bigger and better team than us currently, we had no chance as soon as they got interested. Correctly so. Klopp wouldn't get called out for failing to sign someone like reus if Bayern became interested.

Ah more honest posting from the Kevin genius. Eh what about the negatives that i also put there? His concentration lapses, his inconsistency, the fact that at Sporting he wasn't good enough as LB, the position that he almost exclusively plays at United? The fact that he needed a disciplinarian manager like Leonardo Jardim to make it? And you do understand that he entered in the team of the tournament for the World Cup? And that Simeone one of the best defensive managers in the world (of course not as brilliant as Kevin from red cafe but he should know a thing or two) praised him. If he along with Garay was the best CB in the portuguese league that year, what did you expect me to say? I genuinely believed that Rojo could do well in the portuguese league because physically he was a beast for us but obviously the english premier league is a whole new ball game. If even Di Maria who came from Real Madrid failed, why can't a player like Rojo fail as well? Buying players is like a lottery.

From those posts I quoted you genuinely believed he would do well for us in the PREMIER LEAGUE and would grow into a fan favorite within the year. Your tone implies I am being dishonest but I have posted full quotes from you without leaving anything out and I have drawn a reasonable conclusion.

Don't be embarrassed and continue with the discussion on topic. I have shown why I do not trust your assessments, portuguese football watcher or not...

Sorry for asking that, but does that mean the global sum of 45m Euros could be added? Or that the global sum of the transfer could be 45m ? It's really not 100% clear to me? Thanks for translating by the way.

I think it's the global sum of 45m euros could be added. It's 35+45 million addons. The addons range from number of appearences on the bundesliga, champions league, individual awards that he might win, competitions won by Bayern with him being an integral part of the team etc

Can't say I'm too bothered. He could turn out to be the next best thing since sliced bread, but a potential 80m euros for a guy that made his debut in October. Don't blame any club for baulking at that, especially when it's not a Zidane/Messi esque player.

"Like i have already said, this is a very big compliment from a manager like Simeone : Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone: “Rojo won the hearts of the Argentines at the World Cup. He was very good both attacking and defending. [Alejandro] Sabella put his trust in him and he responded really well. He had an excellent World Cup and was the best left-back among the four semi-finalists.”

"Very good analysis. I specially agree with this: "Rojo is affordable, has the talent, and crucially, wants to play for the manager and the club at a time when more illustrious targets are turning their noses up. Such desire is priceless, and should United land their man, the fans may well have a new South American hero to cheer on into thunderous tackles down the left flank."

"Heh mate i´m just expressing my opinion and i genuinely believe Rojo can become a good player for United. It´s not like you can complain about the players that came from my club to yours. Ronaldo is well Ronaldo and Nani although he´s obviously struggling in the last two years, scored a succesful penalty in your Champions League conquest and was influencial in at least one or two league wins. Who knows, perhaps Rojo can help United to some silverware. The commitment and work rate will be there and that´s a certain"

"

Nobody? You can talk for everyone? Lemme ask you this, did you knew Vidic before he signed for United? I´m willing to bet you didn´t."

"

Rojo has interesting caracteristics and can be an important player. There some negativity but i think (if he moves) that he will adapt to english football. He isn´t Hummels but i think that Van Gaal can be an important factor in his evolution. I´d be willing to bet that in a year he will be one of the fan favourites here. He gives it it all for the club, he just has to refrain from his ocasional brain farts and disciplinary problems."

Just a few random ones when searching for tour posts in the rojo transfer thread. In my country these type of responses are qualified as "endorsing" a player... Calm down and don't lie. We all make mistakes. Just now giant ones like this.

:lol::lol:

I think apart from a few outlier seasons for either club United and Bayern have been very evenly matched since the late 90's. Until a few years ago, that is. I guarantee you, that tide will turn, though. It always does. Making it into the CL would be a good first step. Believe!
That is exactly why I am annoyed. We have the potential and the muscle to match them,on and off the field.

Why doesn't it bother us that we aren't?

When we got knocked out of the group stages of the UCL, Woodward was briefing that this wasnt a problem because the premier league offered us more money.

This Marcotti article captures a lot of my frustration.

I am not annoyed because United arent winning everything and challenging for the best players. I am annoyed because the message coming from the club including our manager is one that portrays them as believing that they shouldnt be winning everything and signing the best players.

From those posts I quoted you genuinely believed he would do well for us in the PREMIER LEAGUE and would grow into a fan favorite within the year. Your tone implies I am being dishonest but I have posted full quotes from you without leaving anything out and I have drawn a reasonable conclusion.

Don't be embarrassed and continue with the discussion on topic. I have shown why I do not trust your assessments, portuguese football watcher or not...

I correct that, it was a typo. I'm not embarassed at all. You were being disonest because you didn't put the negative aspects that i pointed which are a main problem in his performances as a Manchester United player. That's pretty disonest to me. Why don't you put those as well. When i have time i'll quote them for you but i'm getting replies from multiple persons and i'm wasting my time with you. Again what's hard to understand that after being very good at Sporting and becoming a fan favourite in his last year that i thought he could replicate the same at United? I mean Ronaldo and Nani were fan favourites for some at United after being very good at Sporting, surely Rojo after making it to the portuguese league team of the year, could have some credit. Nothing embarasses me in my red cafe participations. If you don't like it, put it on ignore like i said.

We should hit them with a sneaky bid for Kimmich now. He's better anyway.

I dont think the two scout thing is true.

In Portugal, the teams release scouting info after every match I think. So its kinda impossible to hide the fact that you are scouting. Bayern played Benfica twice so it would make sense they sent a scout around that time.

I correct that, it was a typo. I'm not embarassed at all. You were being disonest because you didn't put the negative aspects that i pointed which are a main problem in his performances as a Manchester United player. That's pretty disonest to me. Why don't you put those as well. When i have time i'll quote them for you but i'm getting replies from multiple persons and i'm wasting my time with you. Again what's hard to understand that after being very good at Sporting and becoming a fan favourite in his last year that i thought he could replicate the same at United? I mean Ronaldo and Nani were fan favourites for some at United after being very good at Sporting, surely Rojo after making it to the portuguese league team of the year, could have some credit. Nothing embarasses me in my red cafe participations. If you don't like it, put it on ignore like i said.

It was a terrible mistake Sly. You should be ashamed of yourself. Clearly, you do not have the scouting ability of the professor. Talking about him, if we only listened to him and signed the entire quartet of shitness (Fellaini, Barry, Huddlestone and Parker), we would have ruled the world.

But if you are as desperate to sign that talent, then you will most likely have to pay up.

Clubs can no longer be bullied into selling for peanuts.

And that's the problem for me, you should never be desperate to sign a particular player. Football is played with 11 players, the game is all about synergy, so one player isn't going to be the determining point, unless you are doing a poor job.
I would have liked to see us sign Sanches since he looks like a genuine talent but not for that price, not yet.

We were easily miles ahead of Bayern from a footballing side just a few years ago.

This isnt all on Woodward, our decline precedes him, the problem for me is that I dont think he is good enough to get us out of it.
I won't blame him for being able to convince a player to join us ahead of Bayern. It's his job to get the best deal possible for the club and seeing how long the negotiations have been going on for, that's what he's been doing. Bayern turning up later on is just something he can't have an answer to.

In the wuotes I posted there were parts of what you pointed out as negatives and doubts. You do balance it out in other posts but your overall conclusion seemed clear - he would make it and become a fan favorite DESPITE the weaknesses he or LvG would need to iron out. You were agreeing wih high praise for him and seemed defensive when others wrote him off.

I am as honest as they come, you don't build a behemoth reputation as analysing guru on here without owning up to mistakes made.

But this is pointless, I am derailing the thread. As you were.

Months of scouting and procrastination wasted. But I don't blame Woody too much, who, in their right mind, would choose us over Bayern? They're guaranteed, not only to be in the CL, but to compete for it, they have Ancelotti, we have LVG and an awful 'style' of play.

It's good that this happened in a way, better to get used to it now because we'll lose out on any player this summer, who is also being chased by any big club with a competent manager who haven't made themselves look like a joke.

Just for the "feck Woodward" lovers. Woodward's signings and their prestige at the time;

2014/15:

- Luke Shaw - 18 years old and one of the league's best LBs.
- Angel Di Maria - no comment needed.
- Falcao - no comment needed.
- Herrera - dynamic midfielder we were crying out for.
- Rojo - Argentina's first choice LB at the WC.
- Blind - great versatile player, amazing passer.
- Valdes - injury prone but great free gamble.

2015/16:

- Schneiderlin - rated best CDM in the league.
- Schweinsteger - Germany's captain.
- Darmian - Italy's first choice RB.
- Romero - eh?
- Martial - future potential (and look at what happened next).

Yet you all think he's doing a rubbish job and dithers too much on transfers? I doubt we were even in for Sanches - we get used in the media every year by players/agents/clubs to drive up prices and push deals through. Get used to it.
My thoughts exactly.

And that's the problem for me, you should never be desperate to sign a particular player. Football is played with 11 players, the game is all about synergy, so one player isn't going to be the determining point, unless you are doing a poor job.
I would have liked to see us sign Sanches since he looks like a genuine talent but not for that price, not yet.
We were desperate for Martial though.So not all desperation is bad, although I also think we overpaid for him.

But you are right. Some of this prices are just ridiculous.

@Kevin

Quote Aug 8 2014:

" But then there´s the inconsistency. He is very prone to positional errors and concentration lapses. He is also a complete nutcase. He´s been sent off so many times in very stupid fashion. He has a very poor disciplinary record. It´s always the same thing with Rojo. He gets sent off and costs us a game and he starts getting booed and people at the stands say that we are better off selling him. But then he comes back and plays spectaculary again for 5 or 6 games till he does the same crappy judgement errors."

"Key issue with Rojo is that he needs a mentally strong and disciplinarian manager. A manager with personality. It´s not a surprise that Rojo´s best phase at Sporting was last year with now Mónaco manager Leonardo Jardim. He was a very strict manager. I think Van Gaal could control and improve him even more. Ronaldo Koeman, with what he showed at Benfica, i highly doubt that."

Quote from Aug 9 2014:

"First year at Sporting, Rojo also looked out of depth and a liability. Then he started to turn things around and is an important player now. He was good for us last year bar the usual concentration lapses and disciplinary problems. Along William Carvalho, he was the backbone of our defensive stability. In the World Cup, he recieved big praise from Simeone. And that coming from one of the best managers in defensive terms shows his quality."

Quote Aug 14 2014:

On the Rojo 15 million fee i said:

"Is Rojo worth all the hassle? Surely a club like United has other alternatives. "

Quote Aug 19 2014:

"I´d like to give encouraging words but Rojo is a nutcase. Some of his tackles are mind boggling. I think it comes from his aggressive nature. Heinze was the same in the few games i saw from him at Sporting. He also has to cut the arguing with the refs stance all the time. Portuguese refs are more permissive. English refs won´t tolerate that. Van Gaal will have to do alot of physicological work with Rojo. Sometimes there absolutely no need to be so aggressive. I think his overall game would benefit from that. Keeping his cool and concentration in crucial moments of the game"

Quote Aug 20 2014

"I deliberatly deleted Shaw from the quote. I won´t argue about the LB spot because although he was good for Argentina in that position in the WC, at Sporting he never convinced me."

Just for the "feck Woodward" lovers. Woodward's signings and their prestige at the time;

2014/15:

- Luke Shaw - 18 years old and one of the league's best LBs.
- Angel Di Maria - no comment needed.
- Falcao - no comment needed.
- Herrera - dynamic midfielder we were crying out for.
- Rojo - Argentina's first choice LB at the WC.
- Blind - great versatile player, amazing passer.
- Valdes - injury prone but great free gamble.

2015/16:

- Schneiderlin - rated best CDM in the league.
- Schweinsteger - Germany's captain.
- Darmian - Italy's first choice RB.
- Romero - eh?
- Martial - future potential (and look at what happened next).

Yet you all think he's doing a rubbish job and dithers too much on transfers? I doubt we were even in for Sanches - we get used in the media every year by players/agents/clubs to drive up prices and push deals through. Get used to it.
feck logic and rational, man.

It was a terrible mistake Sly. You should be ashamed of yourself. Clearly, you do not have the scouting ability of the professor. Talking about him, if we only listened to him and signed the entire quartet of shitness (Fellaini, Barry, Huddlestone and Parker), we would have ruled the world.

:lol: I mean i'm here translating stuff and giving my opinion about stuff to help out United fans (because it's also my second team) and i have to put up with professor in bad mood. I'm sorry we sold Rojo to your lot, i will email Sporting President so he can give some of the fee back so Woodward can contact Kevin the football/scouting scholar and still get Barry, Huddlestone and Parker for United. Hope Woodward gives us some bonus from Ronaldo's United career though cause my club sold him pretty cheap.

No idea why people are so disappointed/angry etc on missing out on Sanches. First of all, it is doubtful how many have seen him play and know for sure he is definitely a big star in making. Second, Bayern right now are more attractive option than us so even if scouted and were interested, Sanches can easily choose Bayern over us as it guarantees him trophies quicker. Third, I am not sure we need more 18 year olds in our squad. In all departments, we have 18-19 year olds with good talent and potential (particularly if one assumes TFM in midfield role in long term). What we need this season is a CB, a CDM/CM, a striker and possibly a winger, all with good amount of experience under their belt so that we get a good mix of experience and potential. So missing out on 18 year old is not end of the world.