Renato Sanches joins Bayern

Where did I say we weren't interested?
You made it sound like we were up to other things in the market by saying,

"but aren't people at least willing to see what we do before moaning about it?

Well it was clear we was trying to do this deal, no?

:lol:

People who thought he was shit and that the club was being played by Mendes now having a go at club. You couldn't make this shit up.

Good. Hopefully we'll buy some established quality instead of hanging our hopes on teenagers. As good as Shaw, Rashford and Martial have been, we're in too deep a pit to be spending that sort of money on potential. We need to improve the first team now, not in five years.

If we sign him for 80m then people on this site is going to have a proper moan.

Now that Bayern signed him for 80m there is still moaning all over the place.

No matter what, the club can never do right for some people here.

Like a number of others in this thread, I am not unduly bothered we have not signed Sanches.

For me, the biggest priorities in terms of signings this summer are a centre back, another winger and another striker(in that order).

If we really need to sign another central midfielder then I'd prefer United to sign someone experienced who is ready to play immediately in the first team.

Good points.

But in the interest of fairness, let's list all United's mistakes and embarrassments since Woodward took over:

1. Pursuing Fabregas when there was no evidence he wanted to leave Barca.
2. Being gazumped by Bayern for Thiago.
3. Claiming to be returning home from Australia 'on urgent transfer business' and then not doing any business at all.
4. The Ander Herrera fiasco on deadline day 2013.
5. Buying Fellaini for £4m more than his buyout clause (and about £27m more than he was worth).
6. Getting absolutely rinsed by Chelsea for Mata.
7. Pursuing Sergio Ramos when it was clear he was using United to get a new contract.
8. The De Gea fiasco.

I agree that we've bought some useful players over the last couple of years but we've been absolutely fleeced for all of them and we never had to outmuscle or outwit another club to get them. I'm sure most of the selling clubs were delighted we came in for them to be honest.

As has been said on this board innumerable times, Woodward is brilliant at bringing in money but terrible at spending it. Hope the Berta rumours are true and we can sort ourselves out in the transfer market.

1) Do we always have to wait to find out if a player actually wants to come to us first or can we not try and make the deal? Nothing wrong with trying.
2) Bayern were linked to him for as long as we were, with Pep going there in truth we were always fighting an up hill battle.
3) Yeah that was a bit weird.
4) Very weird in deed.
5) Deal should have been done quicker and for less though.
6) We always pay a lot for players, but then again it does not really seem to stop us from having money to spend. It's the clubs money, regardless of the source.
7) Nothing wrong with trying.
8) Meh, Real Madrid screwed that deal up not us. Glad we got to keep him for at least one more season.

You made it sound like we were up to other things in the market by saying,

"but aren't people at least willing to see what we do before moaning about it?

Well it was clear we was trying to do this deal, no?
I don't know what the club is doing but I'm willing to wait and see what happens instead of losing my shit before the window is even officially open.

Just because this one was played out in the media it doesn't mean he was our only target. You'd think Sanches is the best footballer in the world, the way some are going on. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised - some were doing exactly the same when Pedro signed for Chelsea in the summer.

All I can say is that it's a lot of money with the add-ons, especially for someone who is still relatively unproven. Seems strange for Bayern to splashing out such an amount. The plus side is that he is 18 years old, so has a huge future in front of him. Could open the door for City to go for Thiago.

Another example of the genius of United's management team it seems.

Getting a Director of Football is even more important than a new manager.

Yeah I suspect the fact that there are question marks over Van Gaal's future means we won't sign anyone who'd be unwanted by our next possible manager.

Though now that I've come to think about it, we did sign Herrera and Shaw before Van Gaal arrived.

If we sign him for 80m then people on this site is going to have a proper moan.

Now that Bayern signed him for 80m there is still moaning all over the place.

No matter what, the club can never do right for some people here.
Look at the style & results, look at the table and tell me we are doing things right.

Not surprised by these reactions at all when United are the one in here with small squad, in need of immediate injection of talent.

I don't know what the club is doing but I'm willing to wait and see what happens instead of losing my shit before the window is even officially open.

Just because this one was played out in the media it doesn't mean he was our only target. You'd think Sanches is the best footballer in the world, the way some are going on. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised - some were doing exactly the same when Pedro signed for Chelsea in the summer.
I find it more funny tbh. Funny for the reason we apparently watched him 24 times, then bayern swoop in after watching him twice.

Anyway, good point on Pedro.

All I can say is that it's a lot of money with the add-ons, especially for someone who is still relatively unproven. Seems strange for Bayern to splashing out such an amount. The plus side is that he is 18 years old, so has a huge future in front of him. Could open the door for City to go for Thiago.

Who just extended his contract despite knowing Pep would leave. Not gonna happen. What we see here is an indirect Götze/Alonso replacement.

Look at the style & results, look at the table and tell me we are doing things right.

Not surprised by these reactions at all when United are the one in here with small squad, in need of immediate injection of talent.

Ha we would yet make 4th and win the FA cup on the back of very talented youngsters more than anything else. We've got some very talented young players and not many clubs have got top 4 in the PL on that basis. Technically if we achieve both targets only one club in the PL has had a better season!

I find it more funny tbh. Funny for the reason we apparently watched him 24 times, then bayern swoop in after watching him twice.

Anyway, good point on Pedro.

Scouting a player less than another team isn't always something to boast about so much though. It's all well and good and decisive if he turns out great, but it looks really stupid if you sign a very expensive flop without scouting him, a la bebe.

Surely, you have not forgotten the 60 odd pages of source material that Bayern and Bayern fans had for reading through before deciding to spend big money on him. :p

Honestly, after watching endless number of Youtube videos, I still don't know what to make of him. There are lots of traits I liked about him and lots I didn't. But I don't get the hate for Woodward though. Why is everyone blaming him for this. What has he got to do with anything. He's already got a mess to deal with i.e. The Manager. So I am not sure if were dithering or just not as interested as everyone seems to think. Yeah, I know scouting him 24 times vs scouting him 2 times is a hell of a difference, but that's how our scouting has always been. We usually don't take a punt on players (Except Bebe and you know how that went). We scout players for a very long time before deciding if they are a good fit for us or not. It's nothing new. De Gea was scouted for over a year before we made a move for him. Same with Martial. So I am not overly disappointed to be honest, despite fans being very upset over this and undoubtedly this being a fantastic device for the English drivel of newspapers to shame us even more. If he's a great signing for them, good for them. But Bayern haven't exactly made too many brilliant signings in the last few years to be honest.

I believe we will have a good transfer window no matter who the manager is.

1. Other than the fact he left Barcelona shortly afterwards
5. This one is on Moyes. He admitted to holding out for Baines as well.
6. This deal was praised as shrewd at the time, since he wasn't drawn into handing over Rooney. The fee was thought to be good value as well iirc.
8. Getting him to sign a new deal you mean?
1. He left Barcelona a full year later.
5. Who signs off on the deals, the manager or the CEO?
6. Who thought £37m for a reserve was good value?
8. He was all set to leave and if the deal hadn't collapsed we'd have played an entire season with Romero in goal.

If we wanted him, then this is downright embarrassing. We better get our managerial situation sorted out soon because that is starting to annoy the shit out of me as well.

Ha we would yet make 4th and win the FA cup on the back of very talented youngsters more than anything else. We've got some very talented young players and not many clubs have got top 4 in the PL on that basis. Technically if we achieve both targets only one club in the PL has had a better season!
So far we won nothing and we're not in the CL yet but I definitely dig that idea as something similar happened in the 90's with LvG's Ajax. Sometimes I just think we might demand too much from such young group of players but things are never impossible, especially in Manchester United.

This small squad philosophy however... we need to finally do something about it as we won't be able to compete at all fronts like we should with opponents doing what they want in terms of spending.

Don't see the issue really, teams miss out on players. Just hope it's down to us not being interested with his price tag and it isn't down to something else, like us being unsure about the next manager.

Impressive from Bayern though, we could learn a lot form them.

We signed Martial in the blink of an eye.

With all this going on can somebody explain to me what is the point of having a transfer window ?
Similar to Barca transfer ban i suppose..

With all this going on can somebody explain to me what is the point of having a transfer window ?
Similar to Barca transfer ban i suppose..
The transfer window is the time window in which the players can actually move between clubs and be registered for a new club. It's there to restrict players from moving during the season, well kinda during the season (obviously the summer window closes a few games into the season and the winter window after about half the season is played allows for a few adjustments). But the general idea is to keep players from moving all year long. Clubs, players and agents can of course negotiate at any time (within certain rules, which are usually ignored though).

8. He was all set to leave and if the deal hadn't collapsed we'd have played an entire season with Romero in goal.

Small correction - would have ended up with Navas in goal.

Just for the "feck Woodward" lovers. Woodward's signings and their prestige at the time;

2014/15:

- Luke Shaw - 18 years old and one of the league's best LBs.
- Angel Di Maria - no comment needed.
- Falcao - no comment needed.
- Herrera - dynamic midfielder we were crying out for.
- Rojo - Argentina's first choice LB at the WC.
- Blind - great versatile player, amazing passer.
- Valdes - injury prone but great free gamble.

2015/16:

- Schneiderlin - rated best CDM in the league.
- Schweinsteger - Germany's captain.
- Darmian - Italy's first choice RB.
- Romero - eh?
- Martial - future potential (and look at what happened next).

Yet you all think he's doing a rubbish job and dithers too much on transfers? I doubt we were even in for Sanches - we get used in the media every year by players/agents/clubs to drive up prices and push deals through. Get used to it.

Good post.

I think Woodward did really well in 2014/15. No one could have predicted that both Di Maria and Falcao was gonna turn out to be that bad.

In 2015/16 he did OK, but, we really needed another attacking option(preferably a big star). Martial turned out well, but he was never going to be enough. Woodward's failure to get that final big signing cost us a title challenge and potentially top 4. Look at how poor we've been offensively and then look at the options we have. Football Manager generation aside: anyone could see that we were too light-weight. All the pundits picked up on it, and they were all right.

he's shit and overrated:rolleyes:
now get Andre gomes, or that bizzarely rich kid, or infact give chance to Tim

1. The minute Chelsea came knocking. Didn't take a lot.
5. The CEO. Who acts on behalf of the manager. Blaming Woodward for that is like blaming him for us being interested in Vermaelen.
6. Anyone who saw him play the season prior when he was Chelsea's player of the year for the second year running, with 20 goals and 35 assists. He was the best player in the league next to Bale, and everyone on here was ecstatic.
8. We'd have had Navas in goal, thanks to Ed Woodward's negotiations ironically enough.

Anyone else think that maybe he has just signed for the club that he wanted to sign for? I'm sure we were interested but ultimately it is his choice.

The transfer window is the time window in which the players can actually move between clubs and be registered for a new club. It's there to restrict players from moving during the season, well kinda during the season (obviously the summer window closes a few games into the season and the winter window after about half the season is played allows for a few adjustments). But the general idea is to keep players from moving all year long. Clubs, players and agents can of course negotiate at any time (within certain rules, which are usually ignored though).

I know the theory... just seems to me that these deals are done (and announced) way outside..
That being said, I really think we should try a bit harder to get things done earlier in the same way

Player wants to join certain club for what ever reasons.That club is also interested in him and bids requested amount of money = CAF: You got a admire them for their efficiency,they dont fool around,we should learn something from them etc. I mean really!? That was like saying how we pulled a masterstroke in art of transfers dealings with RvP.

Why the hell are some of our 'fans' attacking Di Marzio on Twitter just because Sanches went to Bayern? Jesus, some of our fans are absolute pillocks at times.

Anyone else think that maybe he has just signed for the club that he wanted to sign for? I'm sure we were interested but ultimately it is his choice.

I haven't been following this transfer as close since we always seem to dither around and either overpay for the player or not offer enough and let someone else buy him. We seem to always be linked with players that end up elsewhere which can either be we don't value the player for the amount being asked or it's just BS reports and the agents and or club are trying to get us to pull the trigger before someone else does. I imagine the club thinks it looks good to always be linked with great players. Flattery and all that. Sooner or later we begin to look like we're being run by idiots if we don't get those players. We've been burned on both sides and have also dodged some bullets.
Not really bothered that we didn't get him. I'm sure there will be 10 other players we don't get this summer. You can bet players communicate with each other. I'm doubt anyone has put in a good word regarding LVG.

Player wants to join certain club for what ever reasons.That club is also interested in him and bids requested amount of money = CAF: You got a admire them for their efficiency,they dont fool around,we should learn something from them etc. I mean really!? That was like saying how we pulled a masterstroke in art of transfers dealings with RvP.
I don't really get this though. Are you saying we weren't efficient in previous seasons ? There were rumours (not even rumours, van Gaal said it himself) that memphis was bound for PSG. 24 Hours later, he signs for us. The Moment it was known Falcao was available, we concluded a loan deal which included a lengthy and stringent medical just to make sure the Player was physically fit again inside 24-48 hours. Once we failed in our bids for Neymar, we wrapped up a deal for Martial again inside 24-36 hours.

When we really want a player that badly, we are pretty much the king of efficiency in my opinion.

Way too much of an over-reaction here.