Renato Sanches joins Bayern

then support a club that doesn't have this as one of its policies?

I'll support who I want thanks.

Fergie had a fantastic crop of players in the Class of '92 that achieved superb things and will (sadly) be unlikely to ever be repeated. After that players got a game if and where they were required. Most - in fact nearly all were squad players, up to and including Danny Welbeck who was shunted wide to make way for RV with little hesitation because it was the right thing to do for the team. O'Shea, Brown, Cleverley - all good solid pro's who had some success and deserved every bit of it - but they all sat on the bench when we had better and in the end were moved on.

Seems evident to me the team and it's success on the pitch came before anything else.

Do I like to see young lads from the academy do well? Of course I do - what fan doesn't? To produce players of our own with a love for the club is the evident ideal. But frankly, the attitude that some fans have that we have some obligation to give kids a chance is nonsense.

My opinion - if you're good enough to get into the side then well done. The measure of a United player should be quality, not genealogy.

Why only consider the first season ? Plus he was 18, you cannot consider that as being benched can you ?
Because it relates to the original point of what we need for next season and what Mou would do

A little yes but each situation is different. Of course Mourinho has a bad record (in general) when it comes to helping young players but he still has some success.
You're missing the original point just leave it. I never referred to his bad record of dealing with young players

You're missing the original point just leave it. I never referred to his bad record of dealing with young players

Your initial point is correct, Mourinho is way too pragmatic to do something like that. I don't even think that he has the ability to fall in love with a player that he never managed.

What do you mean?

If Renato wanted to go to united or bayern you are saying that, because mendes doesn't own the human, he can't influence him to wait a few weeks before deciding?
If Benfica gave United a deadline to meet Bayerns bid or they would proceed with the transfer, and if Sanches was happy with the situation, Mendes has no power to halt everything because he might have dealings with United elsewhere.
That is not how he attracts the big clients. He would not make it past mid level if he acted like that.

It isn't a lazy assumption. Some managers like to give youth team players a chance and some dont. Mourinho is in the don't camp based on years and years of evidence. Signing the best young CB in the world and playing him sometimes isn't proof that he's going to continue united's youth policy. Exceptions to every rule. But saying something based on years and years of evidence is any kind of assumption is mad. A big mandate of his going back to chelsea was to make something out of their remarkable youth team, and he failed in the extreme.

Mourinho brings lots of good things, but to try to include youth policy in there is going to meet a lot of resistance. Reality is we are getting the best managers in the world at winning things - and sacrificing youth and attacking football to do so. If you think otherwise you're likely going to be disappointed in coming months

One thing that Mourinho does, is that he gives the opportunity to youth players to train with him. He does not ignore the academy players.

That's one player who hasn't really proved us wrong tbh.

Nah, I love him. Think he can do a lot better than his madrid form in a team that gives him a proper chance. Is better than James(who we have been linked to) as well, such a classy player.

Posters were suicidal when Thiago turned us down, Everyboooody could see what a star he would become.

Forget Thiago, it reached a new level when Pedro didn't join.

Was excited by the prospect of signing him but can't say I'm disappointed we didn't get him for that money. Very risk acquisition given the number of games he has under his belt. Really, really surprised Bayern stumped up that much, but have a feeling we're gonna be surprised by lots of fees this summer.

Posters were suicidal when Thiago turned us down, Everyboooody could see what a star he would become.

This one could have been worse. Thiago really has all the skills needed to be an all-time great #8. It may never happen and he'd have to do it without the power of a Vidal or Keane or insane genius of a Xavi or Pirlo but the rest is all there.

Fergie reckoned Tom Cleverley was a far better player.....Fact

Making up things to suit your agenda. Here was the exact quote

"Our club was always capable of producing great players and Barcelona's next wave were not better than ours. No way. Thiago was on par with Welbeck and Cleverley but there was no fear about the rest of theirs coming through."

Still a ridiculous quote, but you've taken it to another level.

Forget Thiago, it reached a new level when Pedro didn't join.

I never got that. I never rated him as a top player. Not every player from Barcelona is a world class player. Pedro always seemed average to me.

Making up things to suit your agenda. Here was the exact quote

"Our club was always capable of producing great players and Barcelona's next wave were not better than ours. No way. Thiago was on par with Welbeck and Cleverley but there was no fear about the rest of theirs coming through."

Still a ridiculous quote, but you've taken it to another level.

My agenda?

If anyone has got an agenda around here. It's you

My agenda?

If anyone has got an agenda around here. It's you

I'm not the one making up quotes to fool people here. There is a hell lot of a difference between "Cleverley is a far better player than Thiago" and what was actually said. Don't let facts get in the way of your CO92 and Fergie bashing at every opportunity.

I'm not the one making up quotes to fool people here. There is a hell lot of a difference between "Cleverley is a far better player than Thiago" and what was actually said. Don't let facts get in the way of your CO92 and Fergie bashing at every opportunity.

It ever occur to you that I had a mare and just got it wrong no? Nah, course not. I have to have some sort of made up "agenda" for you

I don't bash Fergie at every opportunity. I love the guy. But, that doesn't suit your agenda and your constant digs at me, so your guilty of your own accusation of making things up.

Keep it up though. Whatever makes you happy.

Barcas next wave wasn't anything special though.

True, it's been pretty disappointing (I'm still undecided if it's lack of talent or lack of opportunities though - the three managers since Pep haven't been as youth friendly, and in fairness it's easier to give youth a chance when lesser senior players are the ones blocking them).

True, it's been pretty disappointing (I'm still undecided if it's lack of talent or lack of opportunities though - the three managers since Pep haven't been as youth friendly, and in fairness it's easier to give youth a chance when lesser senior players are the ones blocking them).

You can produce good players that are able to play on a certain level in your youth system. Atleast one or two players of your system - or even more if you have a bigger selection - will make it there each season. But you cannot plan for world class players.

I don't think it's about the coached being either inherently pro or contra youth players, but clearly the lack of talent. Pep implemented Busquets, a no brainer as it turned out. Which other world class players rose from youth player to starter under Pep?
There are times when great teams produce fantastic youth players one after the other (Barca's core, Bayern some years ago) just to hit a barren spell for a couple of years. Nothing surprising.

Maybe LVG wanted him hence the interest and scouting but Mourinho pulled the plug.

"Manchester United made an offer. I think it was well known. But I had other offers as well.”

“I chose Bayern Munich because it’s a great club. They have a 65,000 seater stadium and an atmosphere similar to Benfica. I’ll win titles.”

And we don't have a bigger stadium? Funny comment but I don't blame him picking them over us, we're in a terrible state since Fergie. If i'm being honest, I don't see the fuss.

Didn't this same guy say Bayern only scouted Renato a couple times before pulling the trigger (when the news broke)? :o Seem to have agenda against United, so should not take him seriously.

I was watching this saga hoping to death you didn't sign him. Fully convinced of his quality and bewildered by th lack of respect he received on this forum but fully aware of his class, heads will roll in 18 months when he's one of best cms in world. I'm that convinced about his quality. Him and martial would of given you two of best young players in world football bar none.

I was watching this saga hoping to death you didn't sign him. Fully convinced of his quality and bewildered by th lack of respect he received on this forum but fully aware of his class, heads will roll in 18 months when he's one of best cms in world. I'm that convinced about his quality. Him and martial would of given you two of best young players in world football bar none.
Awesome.

Cool story

Sadly I think you are right. Not sure which story to believe, that we pulled out of the deal or that he chose Bayern.