Renato Sanches joins Bayern

Well it is a lot easier when you know who your manager will be. We signed players before the world cup didn't we?
It's always easy from them though. Season after season, top business, continuing domination. Although to be fair, they're basically at the helm of the Bundesliga whereas we have had Arsena, Chelsea and City to deal with, and to a lesser extent, Spurs, Pool etc. Gah I'm just jealous of those Muenchen lot.

It's always easy from them though. Season after season, top business, continuing domination. Although to be fair, they're basically at the helm of the Bundesliga whereas we have had Arsena, Chelsea and City to deal with, and to a lesser extent, Spurs, Pool etc. Gah I'm just jealous of those Muenchen lot.
I can tell. Everyone is. To a degree they have it easy. You have to credit them for being a contender in Europe year on year but it is disappointing that 3 years in a row they have been eliminated by Spanish sides and 3 years in a row a Spanish side are kings of europe, not almighty Bayern.

From what was reported in Portugal, United was given the choice by Benfica and Mendes to cover Bayern's proposal till this monday and United didn't respond. I genuinely think that United's interest wasn't as strong as the media reported. At least for that price.

From what was reported in Portugal, United was given the choice by Benfica and Mendes to cover Bayern's proposal till this monday and United didn't respond. I genuinely think that United's interest wasn't as strong as the media reported. At least for that price.

I think the price was the sticking point

If what the article says is true then it's worrying that van gaal didn't really want him, maybe he will be here next season afterall if he's planning the squad.

I would think sanches would be a mourinho type player too so maybe we aren't getting mourinho.

If what the article says is true then it's worrying that van gaal didn't really want him, maybe he will be here next season afterall,

I would think sanches would be a mourinho type player.

An 18 year old with very little experience?

He wanted to bring him to Chelsea and has signed youngsters at his previous clubs. Wouldn't have been the first one.

Really?
Anyway I don't think he signs a youngster to play CM, other positions maybe but the spine CM CB ST I think he will sign established players.

Really?
Anyway I don't think he signs a youngster to play CM, other positions maybe but the spine CM CB ST I think he will sign established players.
Zouma, Varane.

They didn't start but he certainly bought and used them.

An 18 year old with very little experience?

I've not seen him play but if reports are true of his play style then he's a perfect mourinho type midfielder.

I'm almost certain we'd have him here if mourinho was here right now.

I've not seen him play but if reports are true of his play style then he's a perfect mourinho type midfielder.

I'm almost certain we'd have him here if mourinho was here right now.

So are many other more experienced players which wouldnt cost 80m euros

Utilised, developed, started ahead of Pepe by the end.

What point are you trying to make exactly anyway? Mourinho bought Varane because Varane wasn't a Mourinho-type player?

No point is Mourihno wouldn't sign an 18yr who has played 6 months of football to solve United midfield problems. Especially not for the money being asked as well IMO

If we already had a good midfield then ok yes, but not when he is going to need a starter

No point is Mourihno wouldn't sign an 18yr who has played 6 months of football to solve United midfield problems. Especially not for the money being asked as well IMO

If we already had a good midfield then ok yes, but not when he is going to need a starter

He's not the manager as it stands. Had the club signed him then appoint Mourinho then why wouldn't he use him?

If a player is an improvement on what you have then you'd use him.

Zouma, Varane.

They didn't start but he certainly bought and used them.

Was Morata another at Madrid?

It's a lazy assumption about Mourinho that he doesn't like youth players. He obviously has high standards and you need to meet those to be involved.

At top aides it's hard to break through when things are going well - which for Mourinho it usually is. That's just the way it is.

What does the deal falling through mean for united and mourinho deal given they have the same agent? From the sky article, united hesitated and mendes moved him on. You'd think if a mourinho deal was agreed they'd have been able to negotiate to wait a bit longer - not like the timing is under any pressure

Was Morata another at Madrid?

It's a lazy assumption about Mourinho that he doesn't like youth players. He obviously has high standards and you need to meet those to be involved.

At top aides it's hard to break through when things are going well - which for Mourinho it usually is. That's just the way it is.
It isn't a lazy assumption. Some managers like to give youth team players a chance and some dont. Mourinho is in the don't camp based on years and years of evidence. Signing the best young CB in the world and playing him sometimes isn't proof that he's going to continue united's youth policy. Exceptions to every rule. But saying something based on years and years of evidence is any kind of assumption is mad. A big mandate of his going back to chelsea was to make something out of their remarkable youth team, and he failed in the extreme.

Mourinho brings lots of good things, but to try to include youth policy in there is going to meet a lot of resistance. Reality is we are getting the best managers in the world at winning things - and sacrificing youth and attacking football to do so. If you think otherwise you're likely going to be disappointed in coming months

What does the deal falling through mean for united and mourinho deal given they have the same agent? From the sky article, united hesitated and mendes moved him on. You'd think if a mourinho deal was agreed they'd have been able to negotiate to wait a bit longer - not like the timing is under any pressure

Probably means nothing in relation to mourinho. In the article, it's clearly stated benfica wanted to do the deal as soon as possible (before euro squad announcement) and we weren't interested in how the valuation was shaping up most likely. Bayern agreed to paying the exorbitant fees and done. Time will tell if it's the right decision.

People realise Mendes doesn't own the players he represents right?

He's not the manager as it stands. Had the club signed him then appoint Mourinho then why wouldn't he use him?

If a player is an improvement on what you have then you'd use him.

That wasnt the question I was asked

He wasn't benched, he played a lot.
9 league apperances in his first season. In the context I was speaking of as in signing a starter it doesnt count does it

It isn't a lazy assumption. Some managers like to give youth team players a chance and some dont. Mourinho is in the don't camp based on years and years of evidence. Signing the best young CB in the world and playing him sometimes isn't proof that he's going to continue united's youth policy. Exceptions to every rule. But saying something based on years and years of evidence is any kind of assumption is mad. A big mandate of his going back to chelsea was to make something out of their remarkable youth team, and he failed in the extreme.

Mourinho brings lots of good things, but to try to include youth policy in there is going to meet a lot of resistance. Reality is we are getting the best managers in the world at winning things - and sacrificing youth and attacking football to do so. If you think otherwise you're likely going to be disappointed in coming months

Wanting experience in a side is not the same as not wanting to develop talent in my opinion.

Yes - some managers may be more willing to do it but it is often born of not having a choice it needing to change something when it's not working.

If the players coming through the youth team weren't good enough, what was he to do? His job is not to develop young players - that's why academies exist and people are paid handsomely to do the job.

His job was to go to Chelsea and win trophies - which he did, twice.

Looking at his first spell at Chelsea, how many of the young players who Arnesen brought to Chelsea made the grade at the top level? I can't think of any.

This time around a few have had games under Hiddink but there has not been wholesale change. Are they good enough? Maybe they will be but Hiddink obviously thinks he should persist with the experienced players too.

I'm not suggesting Mourinho is going to put his faith in youth, but the evidence suggests that if you're good enough then he'll give you a chance. I prefer that to a romantic notion that out club has to be giving young players a game just because they're youth products.

Probably means nothing in relation to mourinho. In the article, it's clearly stated benfica wanted to do the deal as soon as possible (before euro squad announcement) and we weren't interested in how the valuation was shaping up most likely. Bayern agreed to paying the exorbitant fees and done. Time will tell if it's the right decision.
yes that makes sense

I don't have any doubt that at United he will give youth a chance. I have said this time and time again but look 2 of the clubs he has been at. Chelsea and Real Madrid have two of the most trigger happy people in charge in football. You have to perform and your out, no wonder under those circumstance he opts to favour experience over youth. At Manchester United, everyone talks about our 'DNA' containing bringing youth through the system so he will no doubt be afforded more time.