Renato Sanches joins Bayern

How good was he against you in the Champions league? Definitely think that played a role in you signing him for that fee.
He looked quality at times, but also inconsistent and his decision making was a bit flawed. He's only 18 though. He certainly didn't stand out in a way that made me think about us signing him, let alone shattering our transfer record for him.

Last edited:
I said yesterday that I would be astonished if the add-ons are as easily achievable as they are in Martial's deal. They are, and I am astonished.

80m Euros for an 18 year old central midfielder with half a year under his belt in a B-grade league..:eek: Did Bayern see him as a once in a generation midfield Messi?

I'll be honest I thought we were getting ripped off.....Bayern stepping in makes me think otherwise now :(

A lot of people still thought we were ripped off for Martial even after news came out that we weren't the only club in for him. You're just sounding a little "grass is greener on the other side" here. Also, Renato Sanches was a hot prospect in Portugal, I'm sure there's more than just Bayern and us who were in for him. If it makes you feel better, just think of City, Chelsea, Barca who missed out on him too.

Wow Munich have done business nice and early. (Remember when SAF and Gill done that :()
We sorted Memphis early last year. Schneiderlin, Darmien, BFS were quickfire transfers as well. We also had Berbartov and RVP signed last minute under SAF and Gill. Nothing has changed a great deal. Media paints a different shade over our transfers and fans get brainwashed just like that.

Don't really care about that. It doesn't make any difference for us if other clubs were interested and why a transfer didn't happen before. I'm convinced that we wouldn't spend so much money on him so early in the transfer window, if we weren't 100% sure that he's fully commited to us.

I hope you're right and that he really is an extraordinary talent. But even if he is, he's still only 18 and could easily struggle for 2 years trying to play at an elite level no matter how talented he is. We'll see what happens, but it's a massive gamble. Doesn't matter if he turns into an elite player or not.

Right now i have no reason to have any doubts at all in Reschke/Sammer/Rummenigge. The transfers of the last few years have been superb, with the only exception of Mario Götze but he was a no-brainer really.

If they were willing to break all of our transfer records (40m€ for Javi Martinez so far) for a 18 year old, then there has to be a reason. He will be a world beater.

Am i the only one not really surprised by the add-ons....they aren't that bad....if they think he could potentially live up to and reach those add-ons.

125 Appearances is a lot of games, and in Bayern's midfield, getting to that number would suggest he's worth the extra cash easily.

On top of that, the Ballon D'or 23 list is also not massively easy to get onto, and being on it as a defensive/box2box or whatever midfielder would to me again suggest the cash is somewhat deserved. Eufa/Fifa are obsessed with Real/Barca who almost always take up the bulk of Ballon D'or places, getting ahead of other's outside those teams like Lew, Muller, Aguero, etc etc etc as a defensive mid would also not be easy.

125 Appearances is a lot of games, and in Bayern's midfield, getting to that number would suggest he's worth the extra cash easily.
Bayern roughly play 60 games a season. Assuming he makes 30 appearances even from the bench, it won't take more than 4-5 years to fulfill that criteria.

125 appearances aren't that many. Coman for example already played 33 games for us this season and he was a rather cheap player without any top level experience in a position where we had even more quality in depth than we have in midfield. If Sanches is worth 35m upfront, he should get lots of playing time almost instantly. He'll easily reach 100 games in his first 3 seasons, which means he'll be at least a 55m player by then.

What's the source on these exact bonus amounts and clauses? Why do we take it at face value?

Bayern roughly play 60 games a season. Assuming he makes 30 appearances even from the bench, it won't take more than 4-5 years to fulfill that criteria.

125 appearances aren't that many. Coman for example already played 33 games for us this season and he was a rather cheap player without any top level experience in a position where we had even more quality in depth than we have in midfield. If Sanches is worth 35m upfront, he should get lots of playing time almost instantly. He'll easily reach 100 games in his first 3 seasons, which means he'll be at least a 55m player by then.

Frankly if he's good enough to get into the Bayern midfield, and hold a steady place there for 3-5 seasons...he's surely more than worth that price given he's 18 and you could potentially have an elite level player for 10+ seasons easily.

If he's good enough to keep his place in the team, he'll be worth the money, if he's not good enough, Bayern can sell him on, not have to pay any addons, and what? at worst make a 5-10mill loss when sold.....

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Bayern could also potentially buyout those addons for cheaper earlier too. Say he has a monumental first season and Bayern believe he'll be great. Offer Benfica half the addons in cash and they'll probably take it.

The addons details are spot on according to Record report. It's 5 million per 25 appearances up until 60 million euro limit. Renato Sanches will get 1,5 million tax free per year. It also says that the deal with United was supposedly near but due to the good relationship between Ancelotti, Jorge Mendes and Rui Costa (Benfica director of football), Bayern anticipated the deal. Manchester City was in the race too. According to Record, Manchester United had until Monday to cover the offer but apparently choose not to, not responding to Benfica and Mendes.

http://www.record.xl.pt/futebol/fut...es-por-cada-25-jogos-de-renato-no-bayern.html

pretty mental. I hope it works out well. Him and Kimmich could be a great midfield partnership. I really hope, that both get a decent amount of games next season.

Thanks, @Sly .. is that a reliable paper?

Regarding breaking news not so much (O Jogo is the best) but when the deals are done and they report the details they usually have good sources (they have good relationship with Benfica's media rep João Gabriel).

So he could end up costing them more then Martial, even though he's played half the games Martial did before he signed for us. I honestly didn't think Bayern would pay that much for an 18 year old, we would, but didn't think they would.

He's quite clearly a special talent.

So magnificently run that academies players are better off carving a career elsewhere? Bayern Munchen enjoy benefits/advantages that few other clubs in major leagues can enjoy. Look at some of their supervisory board members and stock holders. Audi Chairman, Volkswagen Chairman, Adidas CEO, Deutch Telekom chairman, Unicredit Bank chairman. They are the club of Germany. Wouldn't it be strange if Man Utd's board had Barclays chairman, Richard Branson, Sir Michael Derek Vaughan Rake of BT, David Cameron and had stock owned by companies like these? imagine this happening in the 90's or this era whilst there were no sugar daddy clubs. We'd probably be THE club of England and have many benefits that few could enjoy in other major leagues

I believe that is immaterial as our upper management cannot get even basic decisions right.
Which top tier club would have ever hired David Moyes? Or put up with LVG's shit football for so long?

You dont have to an Audi or Adidas CEO to know that the decisions that our management have stunk and for a long time.

Regarding breaking news not so much (O Jogo is the best) but when the deals are done and they report the details they usually have good sources (they have good relationship with Benfica's media rep João Gabriel).
Thanks again. Hell of a lot of money. I'm a bit perplexed that we're willing to spend THAT much, but then like @OutlawGER I'm not inclined to distrust the expertise and judgement of our transfer people.
On the other hand, we might be due a proper transfer disaster, or Griff ins Klo. Frankly we can afford one too.

I believe that is immaterial as our upper management cannot get even basic decisions right.
Which top tier club would have ever hired David Moyes? Or put up with LVG's shit football for so long?

You dont have to an Audi or Adidas CEO to know that the decisions that our management have stunk and for a long time.
I am not privy to all the inns and outs of other clubs but I believe all Arsenal decisions have an input from the various members from good old Stan to the "wealthiest man in Russia." I would assume Bayern have a similar process with Rumenigge getting advice from these big characters. Now the impression I get at United is that Ed woodward, an accountant has the biggest voice. Who are his chief advisors? there are about 5 Glazers, all of whom no nothing of Football and the importance of it in this country, including just how important Manchester United football club is to English football in general. what role do Ferguson and Charlton play? is it even a good role considering how steeped they are in an ancient "United way" mentality? I am of the belief that a stronger board would reduce the basic errors, dilly dallying around and general indecisiveness. Having ruthless German businessmen, politicians etc I would assume pushes Bayern into being ruthless and decisive, allowing them to sack Van Gaal and move swiftly for transfers, in an attempt to maintain Bayern's standing in European football as they are so important for German football. Again I may be wrong and it could just be that the Bayern CEO hated Van Gaal where as our CEO looks up to him. Either way it's still a bit shit isn't it?

Most of these "big characters" have little to no say in Munich. They might help to make contacts, but that is about it. Dreesen is on top of finance. Hoeneß might still have a voice, but it is mostly down to Rummenigge, Sammer, Reschke and the manager.

Most of these "big characters" have little to no say in Munich. They might help to make contacts, but that is about it. Dreesen is on top of finance. Hoeneß might still have a voice, but it is mostly down to Rummenigge, Sammer, Reschke and the manager.

You'd think with figures like SAF and Bobby C on the advisory board we wouldnt be making continual mistakes of this magnitude, but as Stacks has said their roles are now in question and we need a stronger board.

What function to they play?
Are they here to help the club or to push their own agendas?

We also need Woodward to stay away from footballing decisions and focus on his specialities, i.e. accounting and growing the brand.

It's an insane amount of money, but that's what you have to pay for these prodigies in today's market.

It's impossible to buy the best players in the world these days, so the only other option is to buy them young and raise them. It's risky and expensive, but if they reach their potential they will be invaluable.

Looks like the fee was €35M + €45M in add-ons(from the Benfica statement). :eek:

2016 prices are going to be astronomical. See - Marital, Sanches. I think Sterling and KDB were actually quite cheap.

It won't be €80m just like Martial's fee won't be.

The majority of the reported Add-ons in the Martial deal look very likely to be paid actually.

2016 prices are going to be astronomical. See - Marital, Sanches. I think Sterling and KDB were actually quite cheap.

The majority of the reported Add-ons in the Martial deal look very likely to be paid actually.
Wasn't one of them "Ballon d'Or winner in the next five years"? Doesn't seem very likely imo.

Wasn't one of them "Ballon d'Or winner in the next five years"? Doesn't seem very likely imo.
The last 10m € (after 25 goals and 25 NT appearances) are for 'Nominated for Ballon D'Or'. I guess this is the 23 man shortlist? If so, it's not completely improbable.

The last 10m € (after 25 goals and 25 NT appearances) are for 'Nominated for Ballon D'Or'. I guess this is the 23 man shortlist? If so, it's not completely improbable.
I was talking about Martial's clauses, not Sanches' :)

Nah, Ballon D'or Shortlist.
Ah alright, a bit more likely to happen but still don't think it'll happen within the next five years, there are still much better players than him out there. It's all speculation of course, no one can predict his development in the future.

I was talking about Martial's clauses, not Sanches' :)

Ah alright, a bit more likely to happen but still don't think it'll happen within the next five years, there are still much better players than him out there. It's all speculation of course, no one can predict his development in the future.
That is Martial's clause. Iirc also in his clause (according to the leaked original contract) is that any fee above €80m, we will have to share half the profits on any difference, so if Martial is sold on for €100m, Monaco would net a further €10m from us. The contract has a heck of a lot of clauses based on a,b,c and d outcomes.
EDIT: yep I was right, in the link below go to page 5 of the contact and to clause 2.5.4.
http://www.youscribe.com/BookReader...scroll&documentId=2853965&fullscreen=1&token=

Last edited:
Next season, we will probably field 4: Müller, Alaba, Lahm and Hummels.
We had a dry spell recently though, although you need exceptional talent to break into such a team. But the results of our youth Bundesliga team haven't exactly been stellar the last years.

Badstuber...

Actually I think that is a real great output for a youth system as none of them is really just a squad or bench player but all of them are world class on their positions and real special characters. But yes, lately the youth system did not even spit out players for the squad.

I think this transfer just shows how the transfer sums in the summer will rise. I doubt that we will discuss about it anymore after the transfer period. There is so many clubs that can spend and need but not much real top quality on the move so even for mediocre players the transfer sums will be very high.

Renato Sanches deal: €35m guaranteed. €5m for every 25 appearances. €20m for Ballon d'Or shortlist/FIFA Team of the Year. #FCBayern #MUFC

If it's unlikely that you'll pay half of it, then it's a fecking terrible deal for Bayern. Btw this information comes from Duncan Castles(Jorge Mendes lapdog). It's exactly like the Martial deal and yet Martial is still counted as 80m Euros where as this will be counted as 35m Euros. Typical really.

Since 2010, only those players were part of the shortlist at the age of 23 of lower: Müller, Fabregas, Özil, Aguero, Götze, Neymar, James, Pogba, Hazard, Benzema. Well, and Balotelli. So him not archieving that would hardly be a fail.

And I'm not all in for this transfer. It's a big risk. But the hypocricy of some here, who defended the money paid for Martial by "but some of it is in clauses!" now acting like we paid 80 million up front is a tad ridicoulus.

Since 2010, only those players were part of the shortlist at the age of 23 of lower: Müller, Fabregas, Özil, Aguero, Götze, Neymar, James, Pogba, Hazard, Benzema. Well, and Balotelli. So him not archieving that would hardly be a fail.

And I'm not all in for this transfer. It's a big risk. But the hypocricy of some here, who defended the money paid for Martial by "but some of it is in clauses!" now acting like we paid 80 million up front is a tad ridicoulus.

:lol:

Making up things now. Nobody was defending the Martial fee when we paid it, it's only now they're claiming it as a good signing.

an insane amount of money, but that's what you have to pay for these prodigies in today's market.

It's impossible to buy the best players in the world these days, so the only other option is to buy them young and raise them. It's risky and expensive, but if they reach their potential they will be invaluable.
He wasn't the best player in the Portuguese league, the reason the media keeps talking about him was because United have someone going to all benfica games to watch him :lol::lol: