Religion, what's the point?

Nate Breske claimed "by the grace of god and divine intervention" they saved Damar Hamlin's life on the field. I guess all that medical schooling and practice was useless, it was all a sky fairy's work. Meanwhile, said sky fairy let others die off, continue starving, so forth. I would be curious how many on that medical and athletic training staff were ok with Nate speaking for the whole and using his religious beliefs as group consensus.

(Song starts at 5:30, the rest is a faux explanation of why he wrote the song)

Cash for heaven, the eternal grift...

Rare stamp that offered fast track to heaven to go on display in UK

Stamp for papers that enabled ‘fast-track’ through purgatory will be on show at a Hampshire priory

3500.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-fast-track-to-heaven-to-go-on-display-in-uk

I would like to say that Rasmus Paludan and co. are idiots and scum but i dont think their actions should fundamentally alter our law.

Hilariously embarrassing that some people will actually freak the feck out over the burning of a fairy tale book.

Hilariously embarrassing that some people will actually freak the feck out over the burning of a fairy tale book.

If you're moronic enough to not know that burning books can lead to hateful rhetoric against the followers of that book, then I presume you could find it hilarious.

Would love to see the reaction if people were burning Bibles in front of churches in Muslim majority countries.

If you're moronic enough to not know that burning books can lead to hateful rhetoric against the followers of that book, then I presume you could find it hilarious.

Would love to see the reaction if people were burning Bibles in front of churches in Muslim majority countries.
And the performative outcry from any christians would also be hilariously embarrassing.

Last edited:
All it'd take is something subtle, like he never puts the toilet seat back down after peeing. Just to show he's not perfect.

Oddly there are (limited) negative things in the gospels, that are used to validate the historicity of Jesus as an individual (ignore the whole son of god bit, just that he existed).

Criterion of Embarrassment, I think it’s called. I’m sure there are additional criteria..

And the performative outcry from any christians would also be hilariously embarrassing.

You would call Christians using that as a valid example of violence/hatred against religious minorities hilarious? Or do you find hatred towards any religious groups hilarious?

You would call Christians using that as a valid example of violence/hatred against religious minorities hilarious? Or do you find hatred towards any religious groups hilarious?
It's hilariously embarrassing that adults still marshal their lives through the lens of a fairy tale, regardless the specific religious flavor. One religion isn't more or less embarrassing than another, but those with rose colored glasses on like yourself sure do try to tip the scales. And that's even more embarrassing.

The world youth day this year is in lisbon, we're getting thousands of catholic kids from all over the world, the pope is coming on the weekend I think. Nothing against the kids, but talking to people, most in lisbon are hating it, roads closed, people struggling to get to work, loads of cash spent on some fecking altar with taxpayer's money. People complaining for months/years we don't have enough buses and trains and the city keeps telling us there's no money or drivers, now they announced new buses and routes because of the event. Complete shitshow for the locals, but you turn on the tv and it's all about this and how great it is. The media are so soft when it comes to religion it's amazing.

I would like to say that Rasmus Paludan and co. are idiots and scum but i dont think their actions should fundamentally alter our law.

The only purpose of this ban is to suck up to the Organisation of Islamic cooperation. We want Sweden to join NATO, so we have to give them some indication that we as a country condemn the actions of people like Rasmus Paludan.

However, a ban on burning the Quran has no effect in my opinion. Paludan told the media that this is another step towards the Islamization of the western world. But, he also said that if burning the Quran became illegal, he would just pour pigs blood on the Quran instead. There is an endless list of options for a guy like that. So a ban won't matter. Best thing would be if he got no media attention whatsoever, and the muslim community just ignored him.

The only purpose of this ban is to suck up to the Organisation of Islamic cooperation. We want Sweden to join NATO, so we have to give them some indication that we as a country condemn the actions of people like Rasmus Paludan.

However, a ban on burning the Quran has no effect in my opinion. Paludan told the media that this is another step towards the Islamization of the western world. But, he also said that if burning the Quran became illegal, he would just pour pigs blood on the Quran instead. There is an endless list of options for a guy like that. So a ban won't matter. Best thing would be if he got no media attention whatsoever, and the muslim community just ignored him.

The thing that would work is the police telling Paludan that they dont have resources to provide him protection when he burnts Qurans in public.

The world youth day this year is in lisbon, we're getting thousands of catholic kids from all over the world, the pope is coming on the weekend I think. Nothing against the kids, but talking to people, most in lisbon are hating it, roads closed, people struggling to get to work, loads of cash spent on some fecking altar with taxpayer's money. People complaining for months/years we don't have enough buses and trains and the city keeps telling us there's no money or drivers, now they announced new buses and routes because of the event. Complete shitshow for the locals, but you turn on the tv and it's all about this and how great it is. The media are so soft when it comes to religion it's amazing.
World youth day? And the Catholic church is involved? :nervous:

I bet he is.

World youth day? And the Catholic church is involved? :nervous:
And the timing is great because just a couple of weeks ago the independent commission created by the government finished their 500-page report about sexual abuse in the catholic church. The findings were the usual, thousands of cases of abuse in the last 20 years, the big heads turning a blind eye (and still very hesitant in cooperating today), some priests still active and just moved around after being caught, etc.

A group of citizens created a funding campaign to put a few of these around town were some events will be held. I happily donated a few euros.

Outdoor-alerta-para-abusos-na-Igreja-em-Portugal.-Foto-Direitos-reservados.jpg

OMG that's the exact language two of my mates used last week when they started spouting bollox at me about Drag Queen story time. 'Stealing their innocence' and 'Normalising this stuff'

It's wild to me that this American Christian Conservative right wing rhetoric finds itself being repeated in an Irish kitchen. It's times like this I hate the feckin internet.

And the timing is great because just a couple of weeks ago the independent commission created by the government finished their 500-page report about sexual abuse in the catholic church. The findings were the usual, thousands of cases of abuse in the last 20 years, the big heads turning a blind eye (and still very hesitant in cooperating today), some priests still active and just moved around after being caught, etc.

A group of citizens created a funding campaign to put a few of these around town were some events will be held. I happily donated a few euros.

Outdoor-alerta-para-abusos-na-Igreja-em-Portugal.-Foto-Direitos-reservados.jpg

Quick update on this, one of the cities where these outdoors were placed decided to cover them. Of course the streisand effect did its thing and now this is trending on portuguese twitter.

I fell into a twitter rabbit hole and discovered the report about the church abuse can't be relied on because the investigators were apparently bribed by the freemasons to humiliate the catholic church:lol::wenger: These are our equivalent of the trump party, who never shut up about pedophiles everywhere and want to pass laws for the death penalty and chemical castration for pedophiles, they've been obviously very silent about this report. I hate these cnuts so much...

Yeah, I suppose that looks good in the headlines but he nominated lisbon's bishop to be a cardinal just a couple of weeks ago. I guess the bishop of the largest city in the country somehow isn't part of the church's hierarchy.

Yeah, I suppose that looks good in the headlines but he nominated lisbon's bishop to be a cardinal just a couple of weeks ago. I guess the bishop of the largest city in the country somehow isn't part of the church's hierarchy.
Yeah, it’s superficial fluff.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-66464852

Barbie banned in Kuwait as Lebanon urges action

The Barbie film has been banned in Kuwait and faces calls for a ban in Lebanon amid criticism in the Arab world of the movie's social values.

Kuwait acted to protect "public ethics", the state news agency said. Lebanon's culture minister accused the film of "promoting homosexuality".

[...]

Following Mr Mortada's call, the Lebanese interior minister and state judge Bassam Mawlawi asked the country's censorship committee to review the film.

The minister is supported by the Shia Islamist movement Hezbollah. Last month its leader said homosexuality posed an "imminent danger" to Lebanese society and called on authorities to ban events that are seen the promote it.

[...]

"This is part of a broader campaign that is bringing together Hezbollah, the Christian far right, and other top religious leaders in a focused campaign against LGBT people," Ms Mhanna said.

[...]

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-66464852

Barbie banned in Kuwait as Lebanon urges action

The Barbie film has been banned in Kuwait and faces calls for a ban in Lebanon amid criticism in the Arab world of the movie's social values.

Kuwait acted to protect "public ethics", the state news agency said. Lebanon's culture minister accused the film of "promoting homosexuality".

[...]

Following Mr Mortada's call, the Lebanese interior minister and state judge Bassam Mawlawi asked the country's censorship committee to review the film.

The minister is supported by the Shia Islamist movement Hezbollah. Last month its leader said homosexuality posed an "imminent danger" to Lebanese society and called on authorities to ban events that are seen the promote it.

[...]

"This is part of a broader campaign that is bringing together Hezbollah, the Christian far right, and other top religious leaders in a focused campaign against LGBT people," Ms Mhanna said.

[...]
Sounds like this is a case for DeSantis, we can't allow this in Florida surely, it's much worse than Romeo & Juliet :devil:

Sometimes people compare conservative republicans to Saudi Arabia. I don't like conservative republicans, but the truth is that even the worst conservatives in America are not remotely close to what happens in Saudi Arabia.

https://eng.obozrevatel.com/section...-a-goal-in-saudi-arabia-video-12-08-2023.html

Cristiano Ronaldo faces arrest for celebrating a goal in Saudi Arabia.

CR7 now risks at least a warning from the club's top management. Praying or publicly displaying objects and symbols belonging to the Christian religion is considered a crime in Saudi Arabia, punishable even by arrest.