Religion, what's the point?

It's actually a no-brainer, if you look at the functions and anatomy of the eye it is the most natural, instinctive thought that something that looks designed requires a designer. Blows my mind how anyone, atheist or not, can look at the eye and conclude it's a deeply flawed shitty design.

Blindness to logic, a trait often exhibited by the religious. Is that you, Wenger?

It's actually a no-brainer, if you look at the functions and anatomy of the eye it is the most natural, instinctive thought that something that looks designed requires a designer. Blows my mind how anyone, atheist or not, can look at the eye and conclude it's a deeply flawed shitty design.

Is this serious?

Clearly you don't understand evolution.

Exactly.

Huh? It's bloody well back to front. Light is seen at the back of the structure, whilst the output "cabling" is at the front, as a result we only see a very small percentage of the light because most of it gets blocked off on its way to the photoreceptors because all the "cabling" is in the way.

There's currently a church drive slash Christian Hip Hop concert on Clapham Common. I've just walked past to hear the lines "In his image I was made/If it wasn't for his love I would still be on the game"

Now Christian music is always funny, hip hop doubly so, but I can't help but wonder where Hip Hop would be today if it was less posers rapping for money and more hookers rapping for jesus. Clapham Common apparently.

Is she actually stupid? How on hell these kind of people keep those jobs? I don't know how he could keep the calm answering for 10 minutes these kind of stupid same question.

I take it for granted that presenters like that will be stupid. The guy on the other hand, was much more annoying. I have a phd, I have a phd, I have a phd. Did I mention I have a phd.

He could of made mincemeat out of her with a couple of sardonic remarks, instead of ridiculous incredulity and self-pity.

And on a side note, how he reconciles his faith with his scholarly views is perfectly legitimate question. I'd like to know that too.

She was asking him "why are Muslims writing about Jesus? He's our guy ffs" I'm not sure what else he could do be reiterate his qualifications. A simple "why can't Muslims?" might have done it, but on a Christian right-wing TV show it wouldn't have sold his book very well.

He could of talked about something anecdotal about the process of deciding the topic for his book as any writer does in this type of interview, not skip to self-pity and hysteria straight away.

He could have explained that 'isa' is not a figure that features exclusively in christianity and that muslims study his life too, though with a less central theme and going into less detail.

There was a million things he could have talked about, besides 'I have a phd'. You already wrote your book, and you have indeed published it, arguing about the legitimacy of doing so is otiose at that point, whether the presenter quite gets that or not.

Do your selling and quit your crying.

I take it for granted that presenters like that will be stupid. The guy on the other hand, was much more annoying. I have a phd, I have a phd, I have a phd. Did I mention I have a phd.

He could of made mincemeat out of her with a couple of sardonic remarks, instead of ridiculous incredulity and self-pity.

And on a side note, how he reconciles his faith with his scholarly views is perfectly legitimate question. I'd like to know that too.

Because his religion wasn't pertinent to the interview. His qualifications were.

Because his religion wasn't pertinent to the interview. His qualifications were.

Who decides what's pertinent to the interview? It's not a book expo. It's an interesting question, you could answer it with a bit of wit and show there's some sort of a brain there, or you can brush it off with a smile. Pretty much everything but what he did, which is to behave melodramatic and play the victim card.

He does indeed seem very concerned with flaunting his credentials. He's rather smug about it too.

I have nothing more than a passing interest in religion. I've not read the bible, quran etc and therefore my knowledge is limited to reading the odd article or watching debates etc. Anyway, my car decided to stop recognising my media player which led to me disconnecting the car's battery to reboot the system. This deleted all my preset radio stations, but it led to an interesting discovery. It automatically tuned to some sort of religious programme or station which flashed up as ramadan on my display.
I caught the tail end of a show which seemed to be dealing with questions and answers. I heard an expert answering a query from somebody who was worried about Jinn possession due to problems with their blood. I didn't hear the question, but the answer was delving into different blood issues such as thick/fatty blood, acidic blood and bubbles in the blood and how they could be related to various disorders rather than Jinn possession. I had to google Jinn when I had the next opportunity because I didn't know what they are.

A quick question to the resident muslim posters. Is it widely believed amongst muslims that spiritual creatures can cause problems like this? I'd (in my limited exposure) thought that muslim culture had been quite scientific and I was quite shocked to find that spirit possession could still be attributed to illness in this day and age.

I don't think that is described as illness in Islam, I think Islam sees that as same as modern medicine, it's just your mind that can harm you, Jinn cannot do anything wrong to you "without your consent". I mean, it can persuade you to making bad deeds, or to thinking it will take over control of your body(for example, problems with blood), but it can't make you harm directly, if you understand what I am trying to say.

But I am no biggest Muslim on here, I am sure Sultan could explain it better.

His explanation makes perfect sense:

"Prompted by exasperation at hearing boasts of (a) how numerous Muslims are in the world and (b) how great is their science.

"This prompted the thought that if they are all THAT numerous, shouldn't they have more to show for it in terms of achievement? The comparison with Trinity Cambridge I judged less offensive to Muslims than the even more dramatic comparison with Jews (who have garnered an ASTOUNDINGLY large number of Nobel Prizes).

"Am I surprised? Only at the number of people who seem to think Islam is a race, rather than a religion. I regard that view as racist. Anything you can convert to, or convert from, is NOT a race."

I don't think that is described as illness in Islam, I think Islam sees that as same as modern medicine, it's just your mind that can harm you, Jinn cannot do anything wrong to you "without your consent". I mean, it can persuade you to making bad deeds, or to thinking it will take over control of your body(for example, problems with blood), but it can't make you harm directly, if you understand what I am trying to say.

But I am no biggest Muslim on here, I am sure Sultan could explain it better.

Thanks.

I have nothing more than a passing interest in religion. I've not read the bible, quran etc and therefore my knowledge is limited to reading the odd article or watching debates etc. Anyway, my car decided to stop recognising my media player which led to me disconnecting the car's battery to reboot the system. This deleted all my preset radio stations, but it led to an interesting discovery. It automatically tuned to some sort of religious programme or station which flashed up as ramadan on my display.
I caught the tail end of a show which seemed to be dealing with questions and answers. I heard an expert answering a query from somebody who was worried about Jinn possession due to problems with their blood. I didn't hear the question, but the answer was delving into different blood issues such as thick/fatty blood, acidic blood and bubbles in the blood and how they could be related to various disorders rather than Jinn possession. I had to google Jinn when I had the next opportunity because I didn't know what they are.

A quick question to the resident muslim posters. Is it widely believed amongst muslims that spiritual creatures can cause problems like this? I'd (in my limited exposure) thought that muslim culture had been quite scientific and I was quite shocked to find that spirit possession could still be attributed to illness in this day and age.

Hi Bill,

This article should be of some help in trying to answer your question.

http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/worldjinn.html

The Islamic explanation of the Jinn provides us with so many answers to modem day mysteries. Without the knowledge of this world, the Muslims would become like the non-Muslims and be running around looking for any old answer to come their way. So, who or what are the Jinn?...

Over the last few years the interest in the subject of aliens and UFO's has become heightened. Programmes such as the X-files and the Outer limits have increased the popularity of the theory that aliens exist. Thousands of people have sighted strange looking creatures all over the world. These sightings however, have still not proven substantially that aliens exist. Rather - and it seems more plausible all the sightings of such creatures were just Jinns parading in different forms.

Can anyone seriously read that without giggling?

Scully giggled too, and sneered at these notions like a glib ignoramus that she is.

Turned out wrong in most episodes though.

I like the idea that non-muslims are running around looking for "any old answers"....Because that's what secular science does. As opposed to accepting the thousand year old explanation of shape shifting invisible dimensional beings. Like they should.

Appealing to the idea that aliens have "not been proven substantially to exist" is also hilariously ironic.

Anyone who knows about Jinn possession, will undoubtedly know that this is a classic attempt to make people commit shirk. And it worked, as many people started to worship these lifeless pieces of wood and marble. Anyone with half a brain would say to themselves, 'why on earth does a god need to be fed?!! Surely if Ganesh, Hanuman or Shiva were divine then they wouldn't need feeding?' However, such common sense seemed to be lacking as the Jinns played havoc with these gullible people.

:lol: