Religion, what's the point?

So some emotions are toxic and cloud judgment (mine) whereas others are tonic and precipitate clarity (yours)?

Oh how convenient!

No. Your approach (rationale) in addressing a spiritual problem (emotion) doesn't work. Both are needed but the state of the heart is most important. Because not all of us have the same level of intellect but we all understand love, pain, etc.

'Submission' is more to do with humility (heart) rather than comprehension (intellect).

No. Your approach (rationale) in addressing a spiritual problem (emotion) doesn't work. Both are needed but the state of the heart is most important. Because not all of us have the same level of intellect but we all understand love, pain, etc.

'Submission' is more to do with humility (heart) rather than comprehension (intellect).

Yeah, that's just garbage.

The rationale is that there is no spirit and thus no spiritual problem to be addressed. The simple, rational explanation works just fine.

A few religious apologists have claimed to me that because of the flaws of the human eyes this proves intelligent design.

Insert Captain Picard facepalm.

It's actually a no-brainer, if you look at the functions and anatomy of the eye it is the most natural, instinctive thought that something that looks designed requires a designer. Blows my mind how anyone, atheist or not, can look at the eye and conclude it's a deeply flawed shitty design.

Moneymay, some counter questions for you and the other theists in the thread.

Are you afraid of mortality?
Is your only meaning in life to get into heaven via the rules of Islam?
Without Islam do you think that you would descend into a life of debauchery and/or criminality?

A bit old but I found these interesting questions.

1. I'm assuming this means am I afraid to die. Not really I guess, I'd be afraid of the following judgement because I'm no saint. But in the end I have no idea what happens when we die, so my main feeling is of curiosity. One way or another, death will answer the question posed in the thread title.

2. Essentially yes. Though I would maybe phrase it differently. I began practicing Islam because as I began to mature as an adult (around the time I started college) I realized Islam offered a route for me to practice my own existing moral beliefs. So long as those two aspects of my personality are in sync, I suppose I could answer this question with yes.

3. Of course not. I lived without Islam having any meaningful impact on my life for about 17 of my 22 years. Managed not to kill anyone. As was said earlier, there are some psychopaths who may exist without any moral code, but the vast majority of people (Muslim /non Muslim, religious/non religious etc) act in a mostly "good" way. In my opinion.

It's actually a no-brainer, if you look at the functions and anatomy of the eye it is the most natural, instinctive thought that something that looks designed requires a designer. Blows my mind how anyone, atheist or not, can look at the eye and conclude it's a deeply flawed shitty design.
It's rather flawed and has a shitty design.

Just a couple of reservations I personally have, and these are things that apply to healthy human beings, let alone those less fortunate who are born blind:
A) We can't see in the night, while other animals can.
B) If we look at things which are too bright, i.e the sun, it can blind us.

did those things elude god?

Eyes are pretty cool, but ours are obviously not perfect. Nor are they unique. Eyes have evolved (more or less) independently dozens of times, and many of them are "better" than ours. I just don't see what about them would lead someone to assume a designer.

It's rather flawed and has a shitty design.

Just a couple of reservations I personally have, and these are things that apply to healthy human beings, let alone those less fortunate who are born blind:
A) We can't see in the night, while other animals can.
B) If we look at things which are too bright, i.e the sun, it can blind us.

did those things elude god?

A) At night you're supposed to sleep.
B) Not sure why you'd need to stare at the sun?!

We also cannot see very well under water because the eyes start itching and burning after a while. And talking about burning, our skin is also not fire-proof so unfortunately we cannot walk through fire either. What a deeply flawed and shitty design skin is. We also cannot fly because our arms never developed into wings. Useless, shitty arms. And I could go on and on like that.

Eyes are pretty cool, but ours are obviously not perfect. Nor are they unique. Eyes have evolved (more or less) independently dozens of times, and many of them are "better" than ours. I just don't see what about them would lead someone to assume a designer.

That's fair enough if you don't see it, but I do.

A) At night you're supposed to sleep.
B) Not sure why you'd need to stare at the sun?!

We also cannot see very well under water because the eyes start itching and burning after a while. And talking about burning, our skin is also not fire-proof so unfortunately we cannot walk through fire either. What a deeply flawed and shitty design skin is. We also cannot fly because our arms never developed into wings. Useless, shitty arms. And I could go on and on like that.

The daytime/nighttime split varies across the world. To simply say "you're supposed to sleep at night" doesn't work. Not to mention, sometimes it's simply unavoidable that you'll be awake during the night. Either god created eyes badly, the daytime/nighttime split badly or god didn't design those things.
Why not? The sun is a beautiful thing, and events such as eclipses garner our interest. Why shouldn't we look?

The daytime/nighttime split varies across the world. To simply say "you're supposed to sleep at night" doesn't work. Not to mention, sometimes it's simply unavoidable that you'll be awake during the night. Either god created eyes badly, the daytime/nighttime split badly or god didn't design those things.
Why not? The sun is a beautiful thing, and events such as eclipses garner our interest. Why shouldn't we look?

Exploring coral reefs and enjoying amazing landscapes from the bird's point of view are also "beautiful things", so why aren't we/ shouldn't we be able to dive and fly?

Because this is how we've evolved ;)

Wait a minute, millions of years of apes to homo looking at the sun, fishing, being killed by predators and fire, and we still didn't develop the ability to look into the sun, walk through fire or fly away?

Yep, because that's now how evolution works. There's no organised endgame, it's just continued survival, if you're lucky.

So, evolution brought you this far, gave you a mind and a language, and an ability to coherently express your concerns and conclusions regarding 'the survival', but didn't equip you with one of the most basic things necessary for survival, such as a fire-proof skin? Instead evolution gave you words and grammar so you can construct a sentence to complain about it. Interesting.

Seeing as there are billions of organisms going about their lives right now without fire-proof skin, I'd say it was not "one of the most basic things necessary for survival".

So, evolution brought you this far, gave you a mind and a language, 'sand an ability to coherently express your concerns and conclusions regarding 'the survival', but didn't equip you with one of the most basic things necessary for survival, such as a fire-proof skin? Instead evolution gave you words and grammar so you can construct a sentence to complain about it. Interesting.

It's fairly interesting, aye. It certainly suggest that there is nothing intelligent about it.

So, evolution brought you this far, gave you a mind and a language, and an ability to coherently express your concerns and conclusions regarding 'the survival', but didn't equip you with one of the most basic things necessary for survival, such as a fire-proof skin? Instead evolution gave you words and grammar so you can construct a sentence to complain about it. Interesting.

Clearly you don't understand evolution.

You don't explain it though, so how could I? If the explanation is "look how complex it is", which is a bit of a silly argument considering... all of the things we've brought up. Such as how it's not that complex, that well made and certainly not unique.

I don't explain it because it would be a waste of time, yours and mine.

Also, I wouldn't consider you an authority in determining if an organ is complex or not that complex, or if it's well made or not that well made. And anyway, even if you'd find something so super/mega/insanely complex, you'd hardly infer from that that there's a possibility of an intelligent agency behind it.

OMG look, here's the funny Ciderman, bringing in the obligatory amount of curse words into the discussion.

My apologies, you're delicate, I understand. I'll rephrase:

I say, old chap, you seemed to be articulating a considerable degree of codswallop during the aforementioned exchange!

My apologies, you're delicate, I understand. I'll rephrase:

I say, old chap, you seemed to be articulating a considerable degree of codswallop during the aforementioned exchange!

Sir, I appreciate thou concern, I must, however, leave the gentlemen at once, as Lara Croft awaits to be taken out to a rendezvous. May I just say this, before we part- your words, however eloquent, contain the same poisonous, contemptuous spirit. I will bring your case to the attention of out Wednesday prayer group.

A good evening.