Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 2)

I'm keeping Starship Troopers for Sci Fi.

I'm doing my part!

Last edited:
1. Starship Troopers
2. 300
3. Crimson Tide
4. Spartacus
5. Django Unchained

War and Westerns should have been two separate categories really as there were others that could have been included like The Hunt for Red October, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Quick & The Dead, The Magnificent 7 etc.

Starship Troopers and 300 will probably appear in several categories.

1. Starship Troopers
2. 300
3. Crimson Tide
4. Spartacus
5. Django Unchained

War and Westerns should have been two separate categories really as there were others that could have been included like The Hunt for Red October, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Quick & The Dead, The Magnificent 7 etc.

Yeah but fitting it so into 10 rounds is difficult. Some had to be paired up.
Blade Runner neo noir or more sci fi?
I see it as sci-fi

1. Starship Troopers
2. 300
3. Crimson Tide
4. Spartacus
5. Django Unchained

Unavoidable really. I'm saving Godfather for Drama for instance but I'm sure some will put it in crime/noir

This is the part where I tell @Sweet Square I've never seen Starship Troopers
Tbf I’m sure I’ve destroyed any of your free time with endless links to Japanese and South Korean films from 2003.

Also no surprise but yes there is a blu ray rip of Starship Troopers on YouTube.

Imagine a script scribbled in a drunken stupor one night (bugs kill people, on repeat)… combine with cheap CGI and awful acting … and you’re there or thereabouts.

(I may be in the minority)
Don’t want to derail the thread but you’ve just listed many of the good things about the film!

The awful acting, the terrible dialogue, the cheesy soundtrack or why everything on screen looks like an day time soap opera(Although imo the CGI holds up really well)is all deliberately done. The genius of Verhoeven is he is willing to take the biggest risk in cinema, which is to make people think he is a bad film maker because his the goal is to how stupid fascism is.

The awful acting, the terrible dialogue, the cheesy soundtrack or why everything on screen looks like a day time soap opera(Although imo the CGI holds up really well)is all deliberately done. The genius of Verhoeven is he is willing to take the biggest risk in cinema, which is to make people think he‘s a bad film maker because his goal is to how stupid fascism is
Aaahhh, so similar to what Nic Cage’s doing? Just MAKING people think he’s a bad actor?

Genius.

Yeah but fitting it so into 10 rounds is difficult. Some had to be paired up.
I don’t want to sound ungrateful but couldn’t you have expanded so no doubling up, added a couple and got it to 16?

Then you could have got a winner of each and done a knockout of the 16 genre winners to find the ultimate film?

Just saying… :angel:

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Once Upon a Time in the West
3. Seven Samurai
4. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
5. Unforgiven

Last edited:
Apocalypse Now
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Ran
The Thin Red Line

Edit: Mixing War and Westerns was...tough. Leaving out The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was brutal

I don’t want to sound ungrateful but couldn’t you have expanded so no doubling up, added a couple and got it to 16?

Then you could have got a winner of each and done a knockout of the 16 genre winners to find the ultimate film?

Just saying… :angel:
I mean I'm all up for improving this so don't have to preface with the bold. I'll look into this next time.

3. El Topo (I know almost no one will have seen this psychedelic western from 1970s Mexico but it deserves a mention and I reserve the right to switch this vote to a bubble film near the end)
Less of a movie and more of an experience.

1. Das Boot (Director's Cut)
2. Seven Samurai
3. Once Upon a Time in the West
4. All Quiet on the Western Front
5. Hell or High Water

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Tombstone
3. Unforgiven
4. The Deer Hunter
5. Apocalypse Now

Why isn't Tombstone on everyones list? Fecking casuals
It’s really nothing that special. When did you see it? I saw it for the first time recently and got the feeling it hasn’t aged well despite seeing it once.

It’s really nothing that special. When did you see it? I saw it for the first time recently and got the feeling it hasn’t aged well despite seeing it once.
Only saw it last month. Fecking loved it. Val kilmer was amazing in this movie. So many memorable lines.

1. The Thin Red Line
2. Platoon
3. Saving Private Ryan
4. Shane
5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

How Unforgiven cleaned up at the Oscars is one of the biggest jokes in Hollywood after Smith slapping Rock. And Shawshank is very overrated. Decent but not great. The Green Mile is 20x better but never seems to get the same love.

How Unforgiven cleaned up at the Oscars is one of the biggest jokes in Hollywood after Smith slapping Rock. And Shawshank is very overrated. Decent but not great. The Green Mile is 20x better but never seems to get the same love.
I feel the same way about Die Hard. I don't know why people love it so much. It's good but yeah... I don't get it. Don't kill me.

I feel the same way about Die Hard. I don't know why people love it so much. It's good but yeah... I don't get it. Don't kill me.

That's the good thing about music and movies. You make your own rules as to what is great and what is not. You don't have to 'get it'.