RedCafe - Minute by Minute

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I was thinking, instead of opening a new sub-forum, why doesn't the thread starter for that match day just edit the opening post with the minutes instead?

Could avoid a lot of the hassle, can't hurt to try though.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I was thinking, instead of opening a new sub-forum, why doesn't the thread starter for that match day just edit the opening post with the minutes instead?

Could avoid a lot of the hassle, can't hurt to try though.
totally, three posters , continuously editing three posts ... but we'd need everyone to respect the buzz and not spam it

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
totally, three posters , continuously editing three posts ... but we'd need everyone to respect the buzz and not spam it
It owuldn't be three posters.

For example, I have created the WBA thread, so instead of opening a sub-forum to do the minutes, I can just edit that first post with the minutes instead. People could carry on being spazzmoloids in the rest of the thread, but those who want the minutes can just keep refreshing the first page.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
If the match day forum needs to just witty without substance we have some seven or eight posters who can do the trick yet some of them were always wrong on their interpretations or forecasts about the game in general and opinions would appear gimpish if we try to dig their old posts out.

One mode of improvement is to make the posters to frame at least couple of sentences whenever they try to submit a post.

"Flecther shite", "OMFG" or something of that sort should trigger an error response from the vbulletin -- message too short.

Before they gather their marbles and try posting something reasonable, they can also crosscheck whether some one else had posted the message earlier, as posts ranging to three or four lines can trigger a debate even during the match, than like rambling in the dark.

Many of us losing out our streams and trying our luck at the matchday forum can deduce what exactly is happenning.

As suggested by someone else, to stop parallel posting, I reckon there is an utiltity in the vbulletin that can make a thread as a Single Threaded Model allowing only one user to post at a time. But it services the same thread for the subsequent calls, unless a timeout is configured, cannot see it as a solution to this problem like improving the quality of debate.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

For example, I have created the WBA thread, so instead of opening a sub-forum to do the minutes, I can just edit that first post with the minutes instead. People could carry on being spazzmoloids in the rest of the thread, but those who want the minutes can just keep refreshing the first page.
A good idea this. Still a lot of work for one person....

If only there was an auto eject script for spastic comments.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

not a bad idea ... but one poster a match? ... what if they are total gash ?

I was thinking a minute by minute thread that only a few access and the rest of us read ?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Well posters could vote after each one to see whether they liked it or not, and then after a few games we could have a definitive list of posters.

I was thinking a minute by minute thread that only a few access and the rest of us read ?
I think that is too much hassle for the mods/admins.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

If crap they lose their right to open another thread in the matchday?

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Some forums have a little guestbook / chat box thing.

Give a few people access to that and let them yap away.

If possible.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
If crap they lose their right to open another thread in the matchday?
aye but then it becomes a popularity contest as has been pointed out to me.

with it limited to three then one numpty could be suffered , if they were at least trying and not spamming - mods to decide what constitutes spam

and it's so much work I don't imagine anyone would do it to take the piss?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think that is too much hassle for the mods/admins.
I mean just a regular thread in the matchday forum that we ask people not to vote in except the designated posters for that match ... we can explain it in a sticky ... surely npobody would be petty enough to feck it up while the regular matchday thread is there for people to vent in

kinda making the police redundant by policing oursleves ...

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mean just a regular thread in the matchday forum that we ask people not to vote in except the designated posters for that match ... we can explain it in a sticky ... surely npobody would be petty enough to feck it up while the regular matchday thread is there for people to vent in

That's the solution I'm hoping for.

Streams have been quite dodgy, so far this season and I'm dreading having to use the match-day thread to try and follow a game. Logged on at half time on Saturday and it was almost as though I was watching a different game entirely.

A minority of people were giving a sensible opinion on what had happened but you had to wade through an unebelievable amount of random bollox amnd petty squabbles to get an informed opinion on what had actually happened on the pitch.

Judging be a few of the slightly frustrated comments in the match-day thread I'm not the only one who thinks that a better policed thread could be useful to those who want to follow the game via the caf. As far as the mods/admins are concerned, the ideal solution has to be one we police ourselves, the way you describe it. So, all we need is a sticky thread and some punters willing to write the next "minute by minute". You got any nominees yet?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
That's the solution I'm hoping for.

Streams have been quite dodgy, so far this season and I'm dreading having to use the match-day thread to try and follow a game. Logged on at half time on Saturday and it was almost as though I was watching a different game entirely.

A minority of people were giving a sensible opinion on what had happened but you had to wade through an unebelievable amount of random bollox amnd petty squabbles to get an informed opinion on what had actually happened on the pitch.

Judging be a few of the slightly frustrated comments in the match-day thread I'm not the only one who thinks that a better policed thread could be useful to those who want to follow the game via the caf. As far as the mods/admins are concerned, the ideal solution has to be one we police ourselves, the way you describe it. So, all we need is a sticky thread and some punters willing to write the next "minute by minute". You got any nominees yet?
yep people are interested but understandably not fully as it may not go ahead ... but I suppose it is now? if it's just an extra thread in the matchday forum ... which one of the saps can start a bit before kick off ... doesn't even need to be a sticky. so, yes we have one poster for the west brom game ... anyone esle fancy it?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Pogue did you not like my idea?

Could give it a trial run if whatever else is planned doesn't take off in time.
a thread all of your own for the MBM is simpler and neater if there is more than one MBM? ... all the OMG's will be posting in the matchday thread ... ? but I couldn't really care either way tbh

Pogue Mahone

Pogue did you not like my idea?

Could give it a trial run if whatever else is planned doesn't take off in time.
Don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the two ideas really.

A seperate thread would be nice to give the "M by M" report it's own identity though. So long as someone makes a big warning on the first post, most folk will twig to leave well alone.

If that's a total disaster, could start a seperate thread and do the whole "constant editing of single post" thing for the next game. Either way, would be nice to give this thing it's own thread.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the two ideas really.

A seperate thread would be nice to give the "M by M" report it's own identity though. So long as someone makes a big warning on the first post, most folk will twig to leave well alone.

If that's a total disaster, could start a seperate thread and do the whole "constant editing of single post" thing for the next game. Either way, would be nice to give this thing it's own thread.
editing the one post could still work within the new thread if that was the preferred way to do it , but that would only work if it was definitely only one poster ,... otherwise you'd have three really longs posts to keep flicking through ... more than one poster would give it it's own identity too ... basically taking from the matchday thread what other MbM reports don't have ...

Pogue Mahone

editing the one post could still work within the new thread if that was the preferred way to do it , but that would only work if it was definitely only one poster ,... otherwise you'd have three really longs posts to keep flicking through ... more than one poster would give it it's own identity too ... basically taking from the matchday thread what other MbM reports don't have ...
Yeah, I'm in favour of having more than one MbM reporter if possible. I still think the biggest flaw in this plan is finding people who can actually be arsed to post constant updates, throughout an entire game. God knows I can't.

But, if we can get 2 or 3 willing nominees, I reckon we go with a seperate thread, so we can follow their opinions simultaneously, rather than reading three massive, seperate, posts.

reelworld

I wholeheartedly support this idea.

I kinda doubt it, but perhaps this could work. Perhaps the mods could add a rule that if anyone other than the designated posters post in the thread than it's straight temp ban? Would need a mod to monitor the thread though.

gaffs

The Match-day threads seem to be causing as much controversy as ever and remain, more or less, un-readable due to a combination of:

a) Spastics posting total drivel
b) Sensible posters getting caught up in the heat of the moment and posting drivel. Like spastics.
c) Assorted caftards bickering with those from categories a) and b)
d) Some lad from Singapore, on an incredibly laggy stream posting "Ronaldo!!!" 4 minutes after the goal was scored.

All of which means that one of the main functions of these threads - to provide a running update to those without a working stream/telly - gets lost amongst all the dross.

Dunno if any of you cnuts are familiar with the - "Minute by Minute" - coverage you get on various websites (Grauniad is one of the best) where some, reasonably witty, bloke provides a live precis of what's going on in the game in front of him.

What are the chances of setting up something similar on here? Is it technically possible to set up a "thread" with only one (or, possibly, a select few) person/people posting in it? There are plenty of excellent creative writers amongst the caftard hordes and I, for one, would love to read a sensible Minute by Minute report by some of the better posters in this place, as opposed to whatever other sources out there are doing it. I know it's a bit elitist but it could run in parallel with the, more interactive, standard match-day thread, and anyone who's not interested doesn't need to read it.

If it's done properly, I reckon it could raise the profile of the caf and drive traffic from rival fan-sites over here on match-days, which would be a good thing, right?

Is this a good idea?

Or just a pipe dream?
Good Idea Pogue. The ones on the Guardian are good, sometimes read them after if i have not seen the game.

The matchday thread is tragic - you have to be pretty sad to want to be posting while the game is on.

Why dont people just watch the game FFS.

x42bn6

The easiest way of enforcing it is to change the users' permission masks to allow them to post in closed threads for that forum (possible, may need to make them moderators of that forum, though), then close the thread after creating. Bingo.

I suggest people trial this idea out with the England match coming up or something, although clearly not in the Matchday Forum.

Good Idea Pogue. The ones on the Guardian are good, sometimes read them after if i have not seen the game.

The matchday thread is tragic - you have to be pretty sad to want to be posting while the game is on.

Why dont people just watch the game FFS.
Not everyone has a television able to receive the games, and those with Internet may have bandwidth limits or download limits.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Why not just be mature & sensible - make a second thread stating only certain people are allowed to post in it and if anyone else does - permanent ban.

This will get rid of those posters who are thick or don't read.

Everyone's a winner.

Pogue Mahone

Why not just be mature & sensible - make a second thread stating only certain people are allowed to post in it and if anyone else does - permanent ban.

This will get rid of those posters who are thick or don't read.

Everyone's a winner.
That's the plan. Was just waiting for mods to start a sticky thread.

feck it, I'm gonna start a normal thread and see what happens...

gaffs

The easiest way of enforcing it is to change the users' permission masks to allow them to post in closed threads for that forum (possible, may need to make them moderators of that forum, though), then close the thread after creating. Bingo.

I suggest people trial this idea out with the England match coming up or something, although clearly not in the Matchday Forum.

Not everyone has a television able to receive the games, and those with Internet may have bandwidth limits or download limits.

Radio.

Guardian Minute By Minute.

Loads of other live Min by Min reports.

Pogue Mahone

Were those badges a copy and paste job from my thread Pogue?:p

So who is nominated for that thread then? Myself and whom (or who)?
Yup. Shamelelessly copied and pasted your opening post in the other thread. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery an all that :)

I think I've gone off a bit prematurely, though. Just deleted the thread and will start it again, nearer the time. It will be quite some achievement if we keep it spam free for 90 minutes, so it's a bit much to expect it to remain spam free for a whole fortnight!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yup. Shamelelessly copied and pasted your opening post in the other thread. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery an all that :)
:D

I think I've gone off a bit prematurely, though. Just deleted the thread and will start it again, nearer the time. It will be quite some achievement if we keep it spam free for 90 minutes, so it's a bit much to expect it to remain spam free for a whole fortnight!
Yeah that's a good point, if anyone posts who shouldn't post, they ought to get a 1 day ban or something, then if they do it again, 2 days, again, 3 days and so on.

So is it myself, you and moses for WBA?

Pogue Mahone

:D

Yeah that's a good point, if anyone posts who shouldn't post, they ought to get a 1 day ban or something, then if they do it again, 2 days, again, 3 days and so on.

So is it myself, you and moses for WBA?
Dunno if Moses is up for it but your name's in the pot.

Drop moses a PM and see if he's had any other nominees meanwhile. SharkyMcShark could be a late addition, so long as he doesn't mind staying up past his bedtime ;)