RAWK Goes Into Lockdown 2017/20-18 Edition | LOLis Karius

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we don't put West Ham to the sword in similar vein when we play them then I'll be very disappointed. The media actively want them to win the league and they do every season, United keeping up their side of the bargain for one game just makes it a touch nauseating to read but once the season is truly into gear we will likely see that enthusiasm slip away.

Lukaku will score them goals, but Ibrahimovic did last season. Their issues go deeper than that, and it is funny to note how little is being made of the fact that with some more composure West Ham might have had 3 goals themselves.

Amazing how giddy fans can get after one gameweek. Chelsea fans on meltdown over their result, United fans thinking it justifies their "This year is our year" stuff (that they've come out with each season since Ferguson left and, ironically, a mantra they associate and ridicule with us). Some of us are saying "same old shit defence will cost us". It's one gameweek.. in his heart of hearts, Cantona still has his names of Austrian ski resorts Google search bookmarked in his browser.
Total lack of self awareness. Also, United fans are qualified to make such comments as we have won 13/25 premier leagues whilst they are less qualified than Blackburn or Leicester.

Lukaku will score them goals, but Ibrahimovic did last season. Their issues go deeper than that, and it is funny to note how little is being made of the fact that with some more composure West Ham might have had 3 goals themselves.
Imaginary clear goal scoring chances.

What an odd way to live. Parading on a rival board pretending to support them.
Yet they worship Johnno White..

I know. I also don't understand those out in the open United fans who come on here gloating straight after a win. I mean none of us give a feck. Fair enough a few of them are sound and are here for a bit of craic and reasoned debate. The others can feck right off.
There's 60 pages to the contrary and week 1 has just finished.

They will lose at Swansea.

Their schedule looks easy until they face us but it's actually quite tricky.

@Swansea
vs Leicester
@Stoke
vs Everton
@Southampton
vs Palace

They will probably thrash Everton and Palace but i can see them drawing the other 4.
Yet when we win most these games we will be shitter and shitter every week I assume.

They have a favourable start on paper (not that I'm complaining, just luck isn't it) but I do feel the wheels will fall off against the stronger teams. I do think they'll finish Top 4 but will be behind us.
Of course you do.

Last edited:
They'll win a couple of home games by a few goals soon and the bluster will be back in full flow.

As for our 'problems', I'm not sure what these are.

Second best defence in the league last season and still looks very solid.

Matic and Lukaku both already looking like class signings and other players chipped in with goals yesterday.

I guess they have to try and make our excellent win into a one-off else it might not be great news for them.

Every year some on the caf make folls of themselves with the alternate tables. They don't understand them and laugh. They also forgot we had our own "storey-time" table a long time too.
It's only a bit of fun taking the piss out of the scousers. I don't think anyone actually believes they win it every year! Just most years! ;)

@Alex99 Some really good points around the alternative premier league table.

What I dislike about it is that it discounts the psychological effect of having points on the board.

As I said, it's not a perfect model by any means.

My mine gripe is that form is not taken into account. For example, the other season Leicester were counted as a Bottom side by every version I saw. This meant that anyone who still had Leicester to play was expected to get 6 or 3 points off them, despite the fact that they were flying high at the top of the league, ultimately winning it.

how's the boom bust cycle going then? i dont think its ever crashed first game of the season before, outstanding work.

They're not a perfect model and are certainly not without their flaws, but the line from those who take the piss is often founded in a fundamental misunderstanding and ignorance of how they actually work.

why have an alternative league table if all it does is allow it to be manipulated to copy the actual league table when you could I don't know say use the ACTUAL fecking league table. Also, has every version over the years coincided with the actual league winners?

why have an alternative league table if all it does is allow it to be manipulated to copy the actual league table when you could I don't know say use the ACTUAL fecking league table. Also, has every version over the years coincided with the actual league winners?

For the first point, it works on the basis of expected results. The example I gave earlier was as follows:

5 games left of the season and in reality, Team A is 6 points clear of Team B. The league table reflects this by showing Team A above Team B, because at this stage of the season, Team A has amassed more points.

However, in the final 5 games, Team A has three away fixtures, all of which are against top 6 sides. Team B on the other hand, has three home fixtures, and their only away fixtures are against perennial relegation battlers.

An alternative league table will take these remaining fixtures into account. With each team having 15 points left to play for, but Team A having a more difficult run of fixtures, the alternative league table would predict that they would only win 6 of the remaining 15 points available to them, while Team B would win all 15. If this were to happen, Team B would then finish 3 points ahead of Team A, and as such, an alternative table would position them ahead of Team A.

If Team A were to win a game away against the top 6, they would gain 3 points on their expected target, and if Team B were to drop points in any of their games, they would lose points.

Think of it as a visual tool to display the difficulty of a team's remaining fixtures. It doesn't really come into its own until the mid-point of the season though, I find.

And if run properly, an Alt. Table should converge with the real league table, with the exception of teams separated by goal difference or goals scored. It is, after all, based entirely on the points that they have on or dropped over the course of the season.

For the first point, it works on the basis of expected results. The example I gave earlier was as follows:

5 games left of the season and in reality, Team A is 6 points clear of Team B. The league table reflects this by showing Team A above Team B, because at this stage of the season, Team A has amassed more points.

However, in the final 5 games, Team A has three away fixtures, all of which are against top 6 sides. Team B on the other hand, has three home fixtures, and their only away fixtures are against perennial relegation battlers.

An alternative league table will take these remaining fixtures into account. With each team having 15 points left to play for, but Team A having a more difficult run of fixtures, the alternative league table would predict that they would only win 6 of the remaining 15 points available to them, while Team B would win all 15. If this were to happen, Team B would then finish 3 points ahead of Team A, and as such, an alternative table would position them ahead of Team A.

If Team A were to win a game away against the top 6, they would gain 3 points on their expected target, and if Team B were to drop points in any of their games, they would lose points.

Think of it as a visual tool to display the difficulty of a team's remaining fixtures. It doesn't really come into its own until the mid-point of the season though, I find.

And if run properly, an Alt. Table should converge with the real league table, with the exception of teams separated by goal difference or goals scored. It is, after all, based entirely on the points that they have on or dropped over the course of the season.

seems like a pointless exercise to me if all they do is to use some of the data to come to the same conclusion after the fact?

Ahh, I see so it's based on the last 5 games of the season? I thought it was from the first to last game. That is much easier to do since allot of the teams will be there or thereabouts in their final positions or near each other.

The alternative league table is basically the best thing on that site.

seems like a pointless exercise to me if all they do is to use some of the data to come to the same conclusion after the fact?

Ahh, I see so it's based on the last 5 games of the season? I thought it was from the first to last game. That is much easier to do since allot of the teams will be there or thereabouts in their final positions or near each other.

I know you're on the wind-up, but no, it takes the entire season into account, and that was merely an example of how it would display the table depending on the games teams had left to play.

Not sure if genuine or wumming?

Back on track, I absolutely love that they have a thread called "The Simon Mignolet is Boss Thread" and another called "Alberto Moreno needs our support"

I'm not going to reveal what the posters name is but I registered the account on RAWK three years ago and I've been posting absolutely ridiculous things ever since and it still hasn't been picked up on. I don't post often but every time I do, despite what I say being bat shit crazy they seem to go along with it. I'll do a big reveal one day and quote everyone one that agreed with the most ridiculous stuff and it'll be a huge party but until then they can spend their time figuring out who it is.

"Amazing how giddy fans can get after one gameweek. Chelsea fans on meltdown over their result, United fans thinking it justifies their "This year is our year" stuff (that they've come out with each season since Ferguson left and, ironically, a mantra they associate and ridicule with us). Some of us are saying "same old shit defence will cost us". It's one gameweek.. in his heart of hearts, Cantona still has his names of Austrian ski resorts Google search bookmarked in his browser."

Please can someone explain this bizarre Cantona comment. Hope they're not using the King's name in vain.

I know you're on the wind-up, but no, it takes the entire season into account, and that was merely an example of how it would display the table depending on the games teams had left to play.

Not sure if genuine or wumming?

@Snowjoe

We had a similar incident last season where people were more interested in defending RAWKS ALT than having a laugh at rawk . I know the title has changed but is this still the rawk goes into meltdown thread or did I stumble upon the "let's discuss the merits of a shite Cnut reinventing the league table" thread?

@Snowjoe

We had a similar incident last season where people were more interested in defending RAWKS ALT than having a laugh at rawk . I know the title has changed but is this still the rawk goes into meltdown thread or did I stumble upon the "let's discuss the merits of a shite Cnut reinventing the league table" thread?

It's ok we let Alex write some dissertation length posts every now and again otherwise he goes a bit crazy.

@Snowjoe

As I said above, to get it back on track we, I think it's worth a delve into their "Simon Mignolet is Boss Thread" in which they appear to think everything about him other than that he's boss, and their "Alberto Moreno needs our support thread" in which they think he's the literal worst.

I'm not going to reveal what the posters name is but I registered the account on RAWK three years ago and I've been posting absolutely ridiculous things ever since and it still hasn't been picked up on. I don't post often but every time I do, despite what I say being bat shit crazy they seem to go along with it. I'll do a big reveal one day and quote everyone one that agreed with the most ridiculous stuff and it'll be a huge party but until then they can spend their time figuring out who it is.
Brilliant :lol:

Has the twitter rawk thing ever quoted you?

Plot twist, you don't have an account there and this post is just so you'll have hundreds of Rawkites search aimlessly for ridiculous posts on their site.

Brilliant :lol:

Has the twitter rawk thing ever quoted you?

I honestly can't remember, I don't actually follow it. I don't really go for conventional delusion or bitterness, it tends to be more related to off field stuff.

As I said above, to get it back on track we, I think it's worth a delve into their "Simon Mignolet is Boss Thread" in which they appear to think everything about him other than that he's boss, and their "Alberto Moreno needs our support thread" in which they think he's the literal worst.

No worries, I'm on a massive WUM mate. I let my hair down in this thread and bluemoon

"Amazing how giddy fans can get after one gameweek. Chelsea fans on meltdown over their result, United fans thinking it justifies their "This year is our year" stuff (that they've come out with each season since Ferguson left and, ironically, a mantra they associate and ridicule with us). Some of us are saying "same old shit defence will cost us". It's one gameweek.. in his heart of hearts, Cantona still has his names of Austrian ski resorts Google search bookmarked in his browser."

Please can someone explain this bizarre Cantona comment. Hope they're not using the King's name in vain.
I don't frequent the site but there's a United poster named Cantona on there and I believe at one point when we weren't playing very well last season he said he wasn't going to post for a while because he was going to Austria or something. The website said he was faking it so he wouldn't take any stick for how United were doing. He winds them up a lot on there. Again, this might not be perfectly accurate, basing it off some posts I remember after the Europa League final last season

Out of curiosity, how many times has said account been quoted on the Caf in one of these threads?

I don't frequent the site but there's a United poster named Cantona on there and I believe at one point when we weren't playing very well last season he said he wasn't going to post for a while because he was going to Austria or something. The website said he was faking it so he wouldn't take any stick for how United were doing. He winds them up a lot on there. Again, this might not be perfectly accurate, basing it off some posts I remember after the Europa League final last season
Ah ok, thanks for taking the time..;)

It's a common misconception that Liverpool always win their Alt. Table. They never have, because if run properly, which theirs is, it should merge with the real league table as the season finishes.

They definitely use it to make themselves feel better about being behind, especially after seasons like last season where they picked up points in the 'big' games, a number convinced themselves that all was still rosy even after the January collapse.

Where I think the confusion comes from is the separate discussions they had the other year with people posting tables like "if shots that hit the woodwork were goals" and "if the league ran between February and November" which on here often get mixed in with the Alt. Table. Those sorts of criteria are never considered, because as people quite rightly point out, they're nonsense. A number on RAWK do seem to enjoy celebrating the "if we only played the top 6" table and other such shite though.

All of the Alt. Tables I've come across run on the same basic template:
  • All teams are separated into groups - roughly Top, Middle and Bottom
  • Teams are expected to win all 19 home games, as well as all away games vs the Bottom teams
  • Teams are expected to draw all away games vs the Middle teams
  • Teams are expected to lose all away games vs the Top teams
The points a team would gain from achieving these results is then set as a Par for winning the league. Matching the expected result in any given week will provide a team with 0 points from Par. Bettering it provides points on par depending on how much better they did (e.g. winning when a draw was expected would provide +2, drawing when a loss was expected +1). Doing worse then results in losing points on par in the same manner.

I ran one last season where I worked out the positions based on an average over 5 seasons. This season I've simply taken last season's standings, with the newly promoted clubs replacing those relegated. I split mine Top 6, Middle, Bottom 6. As the target is to win the league, the Top 6 only accounts for 10 games for each team, as a team would have to be part of the top 6 to win the league. As such, United, as last season's 6th placed finishers, count as a Middle team for all teams outside of last season's Top 6. Likewise, Palace count as a Bottom 6 team for last season's 15th-17th and the newly promoted sides.

It's by no means a perfect model, but in a scenario where Team A is 6 points clear of Team B with 5 games left, the Alt. Table might show Team B as higher because their remaining games are either at home, or away to the bottom sides, while Team A has to visit 3 of the Top 6 during the run-in. Of course it should be taken with a pinch of salt, but for some it provides an interesting way to look the league as the season unfolds.
It's not the real league table! Fecking hell, I can't believe you have wasted your time trying to explain this absolute nonsence!

Exactly my point! Why would anyone waste their time on it?

Why do people look at the Form Table, that contains only the points from the last 5 matches? Or the Away Games table? Or any other table? It just gives different types of information.

The alternate table takes into account how many points you've won versus expectation, which is based on the difficulty of the opposition. Trying to eliminate the effect from schedule randomness, where early on you could have played all your easy fixtures and have all the tough ones for the end. Like us last season.

It's not that hard to get really.

Why do people look at the Form Table, that contains only the points from the last 5 matches? Or the Away Games table? Or any other table? It just gives different types of information.

The alternate table takes into account how many points you've won versus expectation, which is based on the difficulty of the opposition. Trying to eliminate the effect from schedule randomness, where early on you could have played all your easy fixtures and have all the tough ones for the end. Like us last season.

It's not that hard to get really.
There is only one league table that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.