View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep saying I wish I could play upfront and score no goals and just blame service.

Needs a bit of luck…I just want something to hit him and bobble over the line!

Can we not just play the CL anthem before league home games?

Good:
-Presses well
-Occupied both CBs
-Looks interested in balls in the 6 yard box

Bad:
-Probably needs to vary his play a tad in terms of not just occupying both CBs on certain occasions
-Bit slow to see a run at times, in particular the time the ball was played to Antony inside where he tried an outside of the foot shot that got deflected for a corner, he needs to be seeing that as a rare opportunity to get on the end of a little through ball
-Rarely seems to actually get on the end of those low balls across the 6 he's looking for

Hard to say due to TV cameras:
-I don't think we went long to him once all game when Chelsea pushed up, no idea if that's because he's not finding chances to get wide of a CB when a fullback pushes up, or we didn't look for him, or Ten Hag just wants him occupying both CBs and hoping Garnacho can create 1 vs 1 and Antony needs room to get on the ball and try to play triangles with McTominay and Dalot

It's only normal and should be expected. In fact I think he's been given a lot of leeway by the media and fans in general. Ok he's young but he's on 0 goals in the league and cost 60 odd million. You lot have signed a similarly young striker for half the price and has been your top scorer so far this season. This in a team that has struggled this season more than we have.

The fee isn’t his fault. You can’t force a player to be more developed than he is just because you dropped a huge bag on him. United paid that huge fee probably more so for his potential than what he can deliver right now this season. It helps no one to compare him to other strikers who play in completely different situations than Hojlund at United. I understand the expectations being high, but you have to let him develop. He’s so raw still.

We provided him one shooting opportunity all game.

Yeah but he needs to start thinking like a centre forward in the box. I'm not sure if that's something that can be coached or if it only comes naturally.

There were some brilliant balls played across the goal (2 by Garnacho and 1 by Bruno that I recall) but Rasmus was on his heels for all of them. I had images in my head of Van Nistelroy scoring them all back in the day, but Rasmus wants everything pulled back to him instead of getting into the 6 yard box.

It's only normal and should be expected. In fact I think he's been given a lot of leeway by the media and fans in general. Ok he's young but he's on 0 goals in the league and cost 60 odd million. You lot have signed a similarly young striker for half the price and has been your top scorer so far this season. This in a team that has struggled this season more than we have.
Despite no goals in the league yet Hojlund is our joint top scorer this season.

Incredible work rate today, several times he also outmuscled Chelsea players in duels - that is pleasing to see. Was not very sharp, though - perhaps once or twice he could react a bit quicker to low crosses. But all in all he should be miles ahead of Martial in the pecking order, as he brings a lot of utility to the gameplay

I keep saying I wish I could play upfront and score no goals and just blame service.
Yes, but he contributes a lot more than goals with his runs, pressing, link ups and general attitude. I’m convinced that the goals will come.

The league goals thing is just psychological at this point. That and some bad luck. He’s doing all the right things.

Incredible work rate today, several times he also outmuscled Chelsea players in duels - that is pleasing to see. Was not very sharp, though - perhaps once or twice he could react a bit quicker to low crosses. But all in all he should be miles ahead of Martial in the pecking order, as he brings a lot of utility to the gameplay
I disagree we’re judging Martial of games against newcastle in the cup and newcastle in the league a team we’re struggeling against and leaves no open space at all. Martial scored against Everton and created a pen on his third league start this season. Højlund might run more but Martial is the better player.

I disagree we’re judging Martial of games against newcastle in the cup and newcastle in the league a team we’re struggeling against and leaves no open space at all. Martial scored against Everton and created a pen on his third league start this season. Højlund might run more but Martial is the better player.
He's also 8 years older and been stinking the place up for multiple seasons, so no, people aren't just judging him from 2 games, it's multiple seasons of games and injuries. We look better as a unit when Hojlund plays because unlike Martial he actually works.

Could not agree more with most of the posts. His work rate was a key part of our performance today.

I am not really worried about him. I think once he scores his first, they'll keep coming. I predict 10 goals in the league

Could not agree more with most of the posts. His work rate was a key part of our performance today.

I am not really worried about him. I think once he scores his first, they'll keep coming. I predict 10 goals in the league

We were saying the same thing about Wout Weghorst last season.

A hard working lad, I have no doubt that Rasmus will score at least 5 PL goals for us this season.

I have no idea where the comparisons to Weghorst comes from. Weghorst was actually missing chances we were creating. Hojlund hardly gets the ball in the box. Hojlund was unselfish as when facing the goal outside the box he often made the right pass out to the wing, then ran into the box but no one tried to pick him out. The one time Garnacho did put a good cross in, McT had the run, so he left it. This 'He can't score, so he's Weghorst' narrative needs to end because he has already shown what he can do in the CL.

Weghorst was actually missing chances we were creating.

Agree on that.

Hojlund hardly gets the ball in the box.

This to me is concerning, he should be getting into the box more. We signed him specifically because we lacked someone in this role. The fact that he had only 1 attempt on goal out of the over 20 attempts we had on goal, in the 80+ mins while he's on the pitch, is indicative either we have not found a system to help him get closer to goal, or we didn't sign someone of the right profile for what we need.

Hojlund was unselfish as when facing the goal outside the box he often made the right pass out to the wing, then ran into the box but no one tried to pick him out. The one time Garnacho did put a good cross in, McT had the run, so he left it. This 'He can't score, so he's Weghorst' narrative needs to end because he has already shown what he can do in the CL.

So was Weghorst, much as his finishing was crap you can't fault Weghorst for his overall contributions to our play and how much his harrying of defenders help to disrupt opposition build-up play. Hence the comparison.

So was Weghorst, much as his finishing was crap you can't fault Weghorst for his overall contributions to our play and how much his harrying of defenders help to disrupt opposition build-up play. Hence the comparison.
But that's such a lazy comparison, is it not? They both work hard, so they're similar? Weghorst pressed well but was slow. Hojlund can actually run into through balls like he did for his shot. And he can actually score, as we've seen in the CL. If we actually won those matches, he'd have multiple MotM awards to his name.

I think the rest of our attackers are bad at decision making in general. Not just with Hojlund. So it makes our striker look bad. Maybe an extended run with Garnacho-Hojlund-Antony with Bruno behind them will lead to some chemistry.

Harry Kane would have had 10 league goals by now. Lets stop lying to ourselves that the lack of goals isn’t a him problem.

Harry Kane would have had 10 league goals by now. Lets stop lying to ourselves that the lack of goals isn’t a him problem.
Sure. I mean there isnt A evidence he CAN score goals to back the claims up, that he scores when decently supplied. After all he has 1 goal in the UCL with a the chances made and fallen for him there.....

It's seriously concerning that in game like last night's he hardly had any shots on goal. He is a good player, but definitely doesn't look like good poacher enough.

Don't understand the panic

The guy can play the Firmino role in our set up: ie. hold up play, press aggressively and play others in while finding his shooting boots.

The fact that we don't create much for him also speaks volumes.

I don't think he pressed well yesterday. Watch the 2nd half again if you can and pay particular attention to Hojlund. He hardly runs or presses, just ambles around the pitch. Even when the wingers have the ball and put in a good cross, he's just standing there outside of the D when he should be busting his gut trying to get on the end of those crosses. To me he doenst look fully fit, he was gassed after 30mins.

Tell me you didnt watch the match, without telling me you didnt watch the match.

Tell me you didn't read my entire post, without telling me you didn't read my entire post.

He does most of everything right, the goals will come, provided this club decides to sort out some other positions on the pitch, primarily midfield, RW, and RB.

I don't think he pressed well yesterday. Watch the 2nd half again if you can and pay particular attention to Hojlund. He hardly runs or presses, just ambles around the pitch. Even when the wingers have the ball and put in a good cross, he's just standing there outside of the D when he should be busting his gut trying to get on the end of those crosses. To me he doenst look fully fit, he was gassed after 30mins.
No way in hell you watched the game :lol:

In all comps, Osimhen only has one more goal than Hojlund.
So maybe, just maybe let’s give him time?

He’s got potential but not sure he’s ready for this level yet.

With young players, scoring goals is always the most difficult part of the game which tends to come later.

Tell me you didn't read my entire post, without telling me you didn't read my entire post.

I did, but that didnt change the fact that you cannot possible think what you said after watching the game. He was so crucial to our press and such a vital part of it succeeding, constantly harrowing Sanchez, forcing him to do bad passes that we could pick up.

The fee isn’t his fault. You can’t force a player to be more developed than he is just because you dropped a huge bag on him. United paid that huge fee probably more so for his potential than what he can deliver right now this season. It helps no one to compare him to other strikers who play in completely different situations than Hojlund at United. I understand the expectations being high, but you have to let him develop. He’s so raw still.

This.
If he ends up with 15 goals all comps and keeps on developing, then you can say he's had a good first season.
It's very obvious to me why we signed him, you can see the type of striker he will become.

I did, but that didnt change the fact that you cannot possible think what you said after watching the game. He was so crucial to our press and such a vital part of it succeeding, constantly harrowing Sanchez, forcing him to do bad passes that we could pick up.

But not in the 2nd half, like I said, he looked unfit. If I knew how to post clips from a video I would.

Since Saturday, all axes were out after a dismal team performance against Newcastle. Yesterday we played our best attacking performance since last season. The main differencein the team sheet was Højlund and Antony for Martial and Rashford. It was easy to see why. Martial isn’t particularily bad in his pressing and hold up game always, but Højlund was fantastic in that part yesterday, and it’s as important for this team’s play as Makelele was for Chelsea, RM and France back in the day.

It's seriously concerning that in game like last night's he hardly had any shots on goal. He is a good player, but definitely doesn't look like good poacher enough.
He's not getting himself in the right positions, nor making the right runs. There was a shot by Garnacho in the 2nd half that he should've been gambling on just in case.

Can't really judge his shooting ability either, as he barely makes any shots in a game. Last night he had an xG of 0.04, which was less than Maguire. He had one shot on goal the whole game and it was early in the first half.

I like him but people saying "We only created him 1 shot", why did Mctominay get so many more? A lot of it has to be movement, positioning and runs and he clearly isn't up to it yet, no doubt he will get there and the effort was there too but it was a very average performance from a young player in a new team and that's Okay.

I like him but people saying "We only created him 1 shot", why did Mctominay get so many more? A lot of it has to be movement, positioning and runs and he clearly isn't up to it yet, no doubt he will get there and the effort was there too but it was a very average performance from a young player in a new team and that's Okay.

His runs and movement was great. He was constantly doing the right moves but the passes didnt come. So many occasions where Bruno would go for a pass to Alejandro or Scott despite Højlund being in a perfect position.

His runs and movement was great. He was constantly doing the right moves but the passes didnt come. So many occasions where Bruno would go for a pass to Alejandro or Scott despite Højlund being in a perfect position.

So if he is constantly making great runs, why is it Mctominay was found with passes several times but Rasmus once? You think his team don't trust him and would rather look for Mctominay or he was just horrible unlucky again? I like the player but he doesn't seem on the same wave length with the others yet, sniffing out where the ball will drop etc, again I believe it will come

Status
Not open for further replies.