View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hojlund should have never been given the pressure of being the lone solution. Having Martial as your only true competition isn't inspiring for any guy. I still maintain we should have brought in an early to mid 30s well established striker along the mold of a Giroud. It would have provided so much coverage for this kid to ease in. Cutting Martial or demoting him to 3rd choice to me is almost more critical than anything else. Can't win if you don't score.
I agree with you completely. Usually you'd sign the striker in the Giroud mould before a Hojlund which is why I'm so annoyed with this transfer. It's unfair on the kid and makes us much worse as a whole with all the pressure. Keep in mind Antony is not a goal scorer and neither is Garnacho/Rashford at the minute. This signing has put a lot more needless pressure on the other attackers and Hojlund himself.

I predicted exactly what would happen during the summer

It was common sense that he’d need an experienced PL striker in the squad with him to mentor him and take the pressure of goals off him.

No idea why United didn’t see that as absolute priority. I shouldn’t be smarter than them but I am

Im quite pleased with his game. He was relentless in hounding the Chelsea defenders, made a lot of runs to occupy their defenders and freeing up space for his teammates, and with either a bit more luck or less selfishness from the wingers, he could have scored one.
He’s got the attributes and the right attitude

Where do people think McTominay, Bruno, or Antony find themselves in space to shoot a few yards from the defensive line? It's because Hojlund has the defenders sticking to him. I've been impressed with his movement. Reminds me of Chicharito, but with other attackers not as good at providing.

His pressing was very important tonight but he is just not getting into the game enough. Not enough variation in his movement.

We had 28 bloody shots. First half we dominated and pushed them in their penalty box.
Maybe, just maybe...he is the one who is not at right place?
Not really. His runs were completely ignored from left. The amount of times he made a run to near post only the cross from wings went to other side is criminal.

Not worried. He will get the goals soon.

He worked hard tonight, but that'll go unnoticed because he hasn't scored. He makes a massive difference playing as our striker than having Martial there.

He should have done better in quite a few situations this season and he deserves criticism on his own flaws/performances for not scoring goals but I honestly do feel for him. He does all of the basics right and always lays off or at least tries to get passes to the right people at the right times and at the right places.

Garnacho and McTominay will get the plaudits but how many fecking times they lose the ball today? They are cannibalising the ball, touches and areas that Hojlund should be in. Not only that, they're not reciprocating by giving him any easy tap in chances or service. McTominay's second goal was literally Hojlund's to take too but he wisely left it!

Works hard and sets the tone for the pressing from the front. His movement in attacking areas could be better, but he made some excellent near post moves that were totally ignored. He'll get a PL goal eventually.

The big thing for me is that he looks like he wants to work hard an got in some good positions tonight and was inches away from.a couple of chances.

All I'm seeing is a younger version of weghorst, we literally should have just kept weghort at this point if we want a hard working striker that doesn't score

Where do people think McTominay, Bruno, or Antony find themselves in space to shoot a few yards from the defensive line? It's because Hojlund has the defenders sticking to him. I've been impressed with his movement. Reminds me of Chicharito, but with other attackers not as good at providing.
Good point.

In truth Weghorst was working just as hard last season and having just as little success in front of goal as Hojlund.

He didn't cost 75 million quid. At that price he should be creating himself space for chances.

Do we go all out for Toney in Jan? I think we desperately need another striker don't we

I think we're also overlooking the fact that we're sacrificing more creativity in midfield to play McT, who is basically pushing up to be a second striker and taking up a lot of the same positions as Højlund.

Wasn't involved enough today obviously. Don't need to sugar coat it. He's 20, he started well but the team was shit around him and eventually he loses confidence too. He shows bits and pieces through the games but yeah he'll do better in future games.

I predicted exactly what would happen during the summer

It was common sense that he’d need an experienced PL striker in the squad with him to mentor him and take the pressure of goals off him.

No idea why United didn’t see that as absolute priority. I shouldn’t be smarter than them but I am

Cavani of two years ago would have been ideal for him.

Could use better service and some luck, but he does his best. United was a step too soon for him but it's not his fault. Patience is the only option at the moment, but he shouldn't be dropped.

The kid is starving for the ball and our players aren't feeding him anything.

If he was getting balls and missed every chance he gets - so be it, but he doesn't even get that.

He didn't do much wrong tonite. Was running constantly and offered himself for passes. 20+ chances created and barely any came to him.
When Martial scored Vs Everton last week there was no thought that "oh, that'll be it now, flood gates have opened."
But I do think this of hojlund. If he gets one, they'll continue to fall for him

Other players aren't involving and bring him into the game

The only player who talked to him in the game was Bruno

Agree. Bruno passed his last one to Rashford, so why not do the same here? Has Højlund got form for pens?

In 0-0 situation I don't think Bruno himself wanted to put that pressure on the kid

In that type of situation when we need the lead - he knows he needs to take the responsibility and not run from it

Last edited:
All I'm seeing is a younger version of weghorst, we literally should have just kept weghort at this point if we want a hard working striker that doesn't score
Its actually hilarious how badly some people analyse football.

The kid is starving for the ball and our players aren't feeding him anything.

If he was getting balls and missed every chance he gets - so be it, but he doesn't even get that.

There were 2 or 3 good balls tonight that he failed to get on the end of and what on earth was he doing stood on tbe goalline when McTominay scored our first

Has the right mindset.

Once he starts, he won't stop banging them in.

Always on that far post, he was inches away from taping them in.

He also takes two runners with him on that far post making some real space for the cut back ball where Bruno and Scotty should be.

Applies himself with purpose.

Not great service but it takes two to tango. McTom was on the end of a beautiful cross, these things happen if a player sees the right run and then clips a ball in. It's fractions of a second between that or putting in a stock cross. Maybe he has to adjust his game a bit.

Last season we did have more loose balls dropping in the box that were put wide that he could've put away. I think he'll come really good for us.

Good overall game from him, made tons of space for other, will only get better.

He showed against Arsenal he's a handful with his back to goal. We haven't played to that strength since.

The quality of our crosses haven't been good enough especially from our wingers.

If we made a move for Toney in January, it would allow him to take his time in settling in.

Jury's out for me. He's shown some really positive signs since joining but also the game often seems to pass him by. He's not helped by our dysfunctional attack and he's still young, so here's hoping he works out a hit and not a miss.

He didn't do much wrong tonite. Was running constantly and offered himself for passes. 20+ chances created and barely any came to him.
When Martial scored Vs Everton last week there was no thought that "oh, that'll be it now, flood gates have opened."
But I do think this of hojlund. If he gets one, they'll continue to fall for him

It's crazy he has no league goals, good lord. It's weird I think he's good but our players need to pass it to him more. But he also needs to get in good position for crosses. McTominay positions himself far better which is concerning
I disagree I think he makes space for others
And the service has been the worst I’ve ever seen this season
Finally garnacho is getting a run so he can build form
But that’s it

He’s also been in and out of the team for one reason or another
He scores against Bournemouth

In truth Weghorst was working just as hard last season and having just as little success in front of goal as Hojlund.

He didn't cost 75 million quid. At that price he should be creating himself space for chances.
Weghorst was 30 years old, was slower, and already been outscored by 20 year old Hojlund in all competitions. And he was playing in an actual better United side.

Very good game. Pressing, attitude, created a lot of space around him. Hope he'll score soon to get even better but he looks quality player imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.