View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you want this guy and the team to fail, just some smug poster wanting our players to fail you are actually not a fan of this club at all. What would Kane honestly do for this team? What would having Kane in our team do for our CL campaign when Hojlund is already our top scorer?

You people who claim signing Kane would have been the be all and end all really piss me off, because signing Kane would not have fixed our atrocious wing play, shockingly absent midfield, and our floundering defense. I actually think striker is the least of our problems this season.
Top logic this

I thought he was supposed to be a hybrid of Harland and Kane when we were signing him. Showed signs of promise but still nowhere near the 2. Feel pity he is surrounded by a bunch of unmotivated and limited players but he has to try create more out of nothing. That is what separates the best out of the goods.

I wish. Chicharito's movement in the box was elite.

Chicha wouldnt score in this team. Look at Haalands amount of chances misses per 90 and then compare that to the amount of chances created for Højlund per 90 and you will understand what the issue is.
The main culprit for these lack of chances is actually Bruno, which suprised me given how much he services the other attackers. Personally I think its about Bruno getting used to a striker that has speed. He is used to Ronaldo and Weghorst.

He will definitely prove himself to be a decent player. His goals in the champ leagues and all the disallowed goals prove how good he is.

I see a decent Premier League player in Hojlund but he's far from what United need and even at our best, it's arguable he really won't fit. The reason, simply, is he is not at all suited to counter-attacking football. Time and time again he breaks down counterattacks with a dodgy first touch or by picking the wrong pass. It almost feels sinful to criticise him as he gives his best and has had no real chance to make it here. Ten Hag takes the blame for me. The past summer's transfer activity has been an atrocious and unforgivable waste of scarce resources.

Chicha wouldnt score in this team. Look at Haalands amount of chances misses per 90 and then compare that to the amount of chances created for Højlund per 90 and you will understand what the issue is.
The main culprit for these lack of chances is actually Bruno, which suprised me given how much he services the other attackers. Personally I think its about Bruno getting used to a striker that has speed. He is used to Ronaldo and Weghorst.

He's played more with Rashford, Martial, and Greenwood than those two, hasn't he?

Some people on here seem desperate for him to fail, so they can be proven right or something.

Truth is we bought a 20 year old striker with limited experience at the highest level, put him in a crap side, and expect him to bail us out. It’s a terrible approach. If this was under SAF this kind of player would be bought in a position of strength, where he could learn from an elite forward and not be relied on as the main goalscorer.

He's not been great all the time, but point me to a forward that has done better for us than Højlund this season. Arguably Garnacho, but that would be it. It's definitely not Rashford, Martial, Antony or Pellistri. In fact, Højlund has outscored those player combined. Forwards don't thrive in this team, because we play with no structure and don't create any chances. There is also a general lack of quality in the forward line - they don't make each other better.

Højlund might turn out to be a mistake, but I'd argue we can't make that judgement yet. It's too early, and the team is too crap to make a fair assessment.

He took half a year to get going in Serie A as well. Only difference was he was on the bench at Atalanta.

But it doesn't really matter. You could stick anyone up front for us and they'd look bad. Yeah, Harry Kane would look better, but then he's one of the best in the world. And we have too many other problems for a great striker to be enough.

I predict he will be a success. Maybe not world class like Kane, but he can definitely become something like Giroud who is a fantastic player.

He needs to improve on his finishing and technical aspects. I even don't think positioning isn't that important right now. Hojlund is feeding on scraps so when he gets a chance he needs to score. Also, because of the lack of support from his teammates he needs to be more technical to create space for himself, like Martial does really well.

We need to give him time, but he arrived at the wrong time and maybe even at the wrong club. I think he should have stayed at Atalanta for another two years or maybe move to a stable club like Arsenal.

I get it, I just don’t buy the narrative that due to Utd not absolutely flying Hojlund is somehow expected to produce literally nothing.

Let me explain why.

When you compare Hojlund’s PL output with other strikers who play for teams below Utd in the PL, in some cases for literal relegation fodder, and who have played similar minutes to Hojlund, in many cases LESS MINUTES than him, this is what you get…

Hojlund - Man Utd (7th in PL) 675 minutes - 0 goals - 0 assists

Foster - Burnley (19th in PL) - 609 minutes (less than Hojlund) - 3 goals - 2 assists

Amdouni Burnley - 888 minutes - 2 goals - 1 assist

Archer - Sheffield Utd (20th in PL) - 851 minutes - 2 goals - 1 assist

Jackson - Chelsea (10th in PL) - 987 minutes - 6 goals - 1 assist

Ferguson - Brighton - (8th in PL) - 743 minutes - 6 goals - 0 assists

Semenyo - Bournemouth (16th in PL) - 556 minutes (less than Hojlund) - 3 goals - 2 assists

DCL - Everton - (18th in PL) 654 minutes (less than Hojlund) - 3 goals - 0 assists

Awoniyi - Nottingham Forest (15th in PL) - 654 minutes (less than Hojlund) - 4 goals - 2 assists

Chris Wood - Nott Forest - 398 minutes (less than Hojlund) - 3 goals - 0 assists

Antonio - West Ham (9th in PL) - 812 minutes - 2 goals - 2 assists

Neil fecking Maupay - Brentford (11th in PL) - 480 minutes (less than Hojlund) - 2 goals - 2 assists

Again, this list is comprised only of strikers in teams BELOW Utd, and who have played similar minutes to Hojlund, in many cases less minutes.

If it’s acceptable for Hojlund to produce nothing because Utd aren’t absolutely flying, then NONE of these guys should have anything. Instead, they’re all producing. It’s a weak minded, excuse-culture narrative that needs to stop.

Does this mean Hojlund is useless? No, of course not - look at his output in the CL.

But it means he needs to do a lot better - even when only being compared to a very low standard level.
Its amazing how you deliberately skip over the fact NONE of those teams these listed play for have been playing as badly as United in attack. (Everton away was the first time in 13 games that United's attackers scored, their 3rd goal and second assist combined in that period). You are just using the positions of their teams to suit your agendad narrative.

Rashford played striker a fair bit, and he's not slow. Ronaldo is still pretty fast when he wants to. I think rather that Højlund makes different runs - he's also probably faster than all of them, bar Weghorst of course - the white Usain Bolt.

He also works his socks off, but sometimes I wonder if that is a wise choice? He looks knackered after 70-80 mins.

Its amazing how you deliberately skip over the fact NONE of those teams these listed play for have been playing as badly as United in attack. (Everton away was the first time in 13 games that United's attackers scored, their 3rd goal and second assist combined in that period). You are just using the positions of their teams to suit your agendad narrative.
We are not good in attacking phase this year by all means but to claim that we are not better than Burnley, SU or Everton is just too much.

Fml, have we written off Hojlund already?

Yesterday, it was some anti-ETH nutter in the Mainoo thread claiming people were rating him because "ETH CULT". Our fanbase are weirdos.

Every single player I’ve listed is playing for a team below Utd. Some for literal relegation fodder.

Some of these teams are currently holding GD of -18, -17, -16 etc.

Yet, you claim that ‘none of these clubs are playing as badly as Utd’… right.

It started off that we shouldn’t compare Hojlund with Kane, or Haaland. Ok, that’s fair enough.

Then, we shouldn’t compare Hojlund with Watkins, or Isak. Ok.

Now, we can’t compare his output with Neil Maupay, Chris Wood or Semenyo… cmon ffs.

You’re treating the guy like he’s on fecking work experience.

Last edited:
Fml, have we written off Hojlund already?

Yesterday, it was some anti-ETH nutter in the Mainoo thread claiming people were rating him because "ETH CULT". Our fanbase are weirdos.
The weirdos are not fans!

Well, they have been playing as bad and Hojlund is part of the attack so the responsibility is partly on him. You can’t say the attack is shit so the striker is not at fault for the lack of goals. The striker is the attack.

Also you talk about the Everton game and the striker with the goal and the assist is Martial. I understand Martial’s time is coming to an end and he is limited to few appearances while Hojlund is the future so he is given more time to adapt. Neither Hojlund nor Martial are doing well but Martial at least has a goal and an assist in 4 league starts. Hojlund is 0 in 8. Same team.

I don’t think there’s masking the fact that Hojlund is individually not doing well. Yes there are extenuating circumstances, it’s not an ideal environment for him to settle and flourish, but he still has some personal responsibility. That doesn’t mean that we’re writing him off or anything. He’s still young and new to the league. He has time. But at the moment it is totally fair to say that he is not pulling his weight. He is not the only one, Rashford and Antony are as bad and without any excuses, but he is one of those who aren’t.

About a decade ago now, when Liverpool bought Andy Carroll for an insane fee, I went over to their forums to see their reaction and loved every second of it. It was what internet denizens call 'hopium' and it is a deadly ailment. Not just Carroll, but any up and coming kid from the academy was lauded as the next big thing. Hopes hanging on any ounce of composure, even a single goal here and there.

I fear this rot is happening within our fan base.

Not to say Holjund is akin to Carroll, there are levels of difference. But, rather, the way our supporters lionize any new signing or youth promotion to the first team, expecting world class potential, and fighting tooth and nail to hold onto this comfortable narrative.

Holjund is a good player, but like others have said, not the right player to be our starting 9. Our management team fecked him over and it leads to this pressure cycle. I fear the worst.

About a decade ago now, when Liverpool bought Andy Carroll for an insane fee, I went over to their forums to see their reaction and loved every second of it. It was what internet denizens call 'hopium' and it is a deadly ailment. Not just Carroll, but any up and coming kid from the academy was lauded as the next big thing. Hopes hanging on any ounce of composure, even a single goal here and there.

I fear this rot is happening within our fan base.

Not to say Holjund is akin to Carroll, there are levels of difference. But, rather, the way our supporters lionize any new signing or youth promotion to the first team, expecting world class potential, and fighting tooth and nail to hold onto this comfortable narrative.

Holjund is a good player, but like others have said, not the right player to be our starting 9. Our management team fecked him over and it leads to this pressure cycle. I fear the worst.

My favourite from the Hodgson/Dalglish period was Jonjo Shelvey. Now and then he would produce a magic moment, which would lead to him being diabolical in the next five games he would feature. But that moment, my God, it would make them dream that the next Alonso/Mascherano midfield was just around the corner. How many times we've seen the same play on this forum. You're right, it's just hopium. The thought that "it can't be that bad, surely"...

Top logic this
You haven't corrected me however? You're in this thread basically on the edge of your seat in excitement whenever Hojlund doesn't score. You cannot wait to hold it over everyones heads that a young player of ours isn't scoring, does that sound like a supporter of this club and our players?

Nor did you address the rest of my post because you know I'm right.

I think if you put this guy into a functioning team he does well but we are so shit. Feel sorry for him.

I still rate him and I'm glad he's ours. However, at this stage of his career, he shouldn't be the starting striker for Manchester United. There's no shame in that and it certainly isn't his fault.

There's no need to be concerned about Hojlund, bottom line is if he can score goals against Galatasary, Copenhagen and Bayern then he can score goals against Premier League teams.

Personally think it's a real shame that goal was wrongly chalked off against Brighton, because I think his lack of Premier League goals has affected his confidence a little. Had that counted, I think he'd have three or four now - the Luton chance, for example, would have been taken by a confident CF.

Jesus the amount of people trying to get in as early as possible to say I told you so is crazy. He’s a young footballer. He won’t peak for 5 years yet and he’s shown major flashes of what he can do. He needs more competition than Martial who surely knows he’s on the way out and probably doesn’t have the heart to even bother fighting for a new deal. Yup that’s where we are at as a club. The fact he has no competition is on the glazers for repeatedly stocking us with has beens for the last decade

I like him but at some point he needs to start scoring, and with some degree of consistency. I know he's young but so is Garnacho, and he's having more of an influence on games.

My favourite from the Hodgson/Dalglish period was Jonjo Shelvey. Now and then he would produce a magic moment, which would lead to him being diabolical in the next five games he would feature. But that moment, my God, it would make them dream that the next Alonso/Mascherano midfield was just around the corner. How many times we've seen the same play on this forum. You're right, it's just hopium. The thought that "it can't be that bad, surely"...
Jay Spearing for me

Personally, even though he wouldn't have been my first choice, I'm happy with him.

I look past the stats. I'll judge him on goals scored if he ever plays in a functioning team here. I'm judging him on his general play and, to me, it's been impressive enough at times to be optimistic about his potential talent.

I like him but at some point he needs to start scoring, and with some degree of consistency. I know he's young but so is Garnacho, and he's having more of an influence on games.
He’s a striker, he can’t do much if the chances aren’t being created for him. He’s not the sort that can dribble for 50m and score a wonder goal, that’s just not the player he is.

His CL appearances have showed that he can score, we’re just not creating by the chances for him in the league.

You haven't corrected me however? You're in this thread basically on the edge of your seat in excitement whenever Hojlund doesn't score. You cannot wait to hold it over everyones heads that a young player of ours isn't scoring, does that sound like a supporter of this club and our players?

Nor did you address the rest of my post because you know I'm right.
I "love" posters like you who describe criticism as hating or "not supporting" when someone is doing it to their favourite players. While you are doing the same with another players. Few of your last posts are about shitting on McT and saying that Pellistri is not good enough. Where is your "support" there then?

What should i do? Say that Hojlund is performing well just because hopes are high about him? Well, he doesn't. You can spin it however you want (age, creating chances, this, that) but striker who is not scoring goals (or at least assisting) is not doing well. That is a simple truth.
And i must remind you; this is performance thread where you comment player's recent performance(s) not his potential. My opinion (correct or not) is that he is not doing well.

I "love" posters like you who describe criticism as hating or "not supporting" when someone is doing it to their favourite players. While you are doing the same with another players. Few of your last posts are about shitting on McT and saying that Pellistri is not good enough. Where is your "support" there then?

What should i do? Say that Hojlund is performing well just because hopes are high about him? Well, he doesn't. You can spin it however you want (age, creating chances, this, that) but striker who is not scoring goals (or at least assisting) is not doing well. That is a simple truth.
And i must remind you; this is performance thread where you comment player's recent performance(s) not his potential. My opinion (correct or not) is that he is not doing well.
Of course it's different. McTominay has been at this club for years and years and has shown time and time again that he is not good enough to play for this club, me being critical of his performance is supporting the club because if the people running this club had any sense we'd have sold him this summer when there was a profit to be made, if not years ago. Pellistri has not only shown multiple times that he isn't up to standard, but I also criticise him to a healthy degree, where as you are in this thread every match day with unbridled glee and smug satisfaction when you know you can dunk on the people in this thread that thinks he has some talent.

Your opinion isn't just that he isn't doing well, which granted he isn't currently - even though he is the joint top scorer for the season in all competitions - but it's that you've written him off completely already despite everything and can't wait to jam down people's throats how much it was a mistake and that we should have signed Kane, oh and we should have chased Kane... Did I mention we should have signed Harry Kane? Instead of giving this kid time and patience in what is clearly an absolutely atrocious side where nobody else is scoring either you're basically tossing him into the abyss already and it's grating.

Personally, even though he wouldn't have been my first choice, I'm happy with him.

I look past the stats. I'll judge him on goals scored if he ever plays in a functioning team here. I'm judging him on his general play and, to me, it's been impressive enough at times to be optimistic about his potential talent.
This is where I am too. I think we got shafted a little on the price, but I still think there's enough about him to be a decent no.9. What concerns me more is the back injury stuff.

Of course it's different. McTominay has been at this club for years and years and has shown time and time again that he is not good enough to play for this club, me being critical of his performance is supporting the club because if the people running this club had any sense we'd have sold him this summer when there was a profit to be made, if not years ago. Pellistri has not only shown multiple times that he isn't up to standard, but I also criticise him to a healthy degree, where as you are in this thread every match day with unbridled glee and smug satisfaction when you know you can dunk on the people in this thread that thinks he has some talent.

Your opinion isn't just that he isn't doing well, which granted he isn't currently - even though he is the joint top scorer for the season in all competitions - but it's that you've written him off completely already despite everything and can't wait to jam down people's throats how much it was a mistake and that we should have signed Kane, oh and we should have chased Kane... Did I mention we should have signed Harry Kane? Instead of giving this kid time and patience in what is clearly an absolutely atrocious side where nobody else is scoring either you're basically tossing him into the abyss already and it's grating.
Don't make shit up, please. I never wrote him off. I repeated many times that he will be good for us. But i am afraid that it will not be this season.

This is where I am too. I think we got shafted a little on the price, but I still think there's enough about him to be a decent no.9. What concerns me more is the back injury stuff.
I feel like, because we're Man Utd, we just have to accept being shafted on prices now! :lol:

I'm trying to think of our last transfer where we were like "phwoar, we got ourselves an absolute bargain here!". It could possibly be van Persie because signing a legitimate world class player from a rival for what we did was amazing business.

I feel like, because we're Man Utd, we just have to accept being shafted on prices now! :lol:

I'm trying to think of our last transfer where we were like "phwoar, we got ourselves an absolute bargain here!". It could possibly be van Persie because signing a legitimate world class player from a rival for what we did was amazing business.
Garnacho. 500k. If we are selling club we could sell him now for 50 mil easily.

We are not good in attacking phase this year by all means but to claim that we are not better than Burnley, SU or Everton is just too much.
Its isn't 'too much" if you have actually watched these teams play more than at least 5 times this season, rather than relying on just badly interpreted statistics to push an agenda.

As an attacking force in the EPL United's attacking has been shocking. That's how Scott Mctominay is our top scorer, yet he is strictly a regular thanks to our midfield injury crisis. Our only atttacking starter creating or scoring has been Bruno. Everton was the first time in 14 games we had more than a goal and assist contribution from our entire attack during a win this season.

Our attack is literally out scored by the rest of the team 12-4 in the league. 5 - 0 in assists. Worst of all of our 23 big chances only 5 have come from our starting wingers. 8 have come from Bruno alone and the rest 1 each from the rest of the teams departments like defence and center midfield. Buy you want to eagerly convince us Rasmus at center forward is this glorious under performer playing in such an attack.

Last edited:
Needs a goal. It's starting to look worst the longer he goes in the league without ending his duck.

*Why is his goal count only 3 in the forum header...it should be 5 right?

I think he'll break his PL duck tomorrow. Just a gut feeling

Well, they have been playing as bad and Hojlund is part of the attack so the responsibility is partly on him.
It really isn't. He has proven in the UCL even vs opposition as good as Bayern if you give him enough supply he will score. Same with thseasoon. aligned Martial this season off the bench. In the EPL all their supply bar Bruno from attacking partners has been consistently shocking.

You can’t say the attack is shit so the striker is not at fault for the lack of goals. The striker is the attack.
No it's not. The attack is NEVER the striker. The attack is the pattern of consistent supply that gives the striker the platform to do his job. United's attack has neither been consistent nor hard a pattern to enable the central strikers to do their jobs.

Also you talk about the Everton game and the striker with the goal and the assist is Martial. I understand Martial’s time is coming to an end and he is limited to few appearances while Hojlund is the future so he is given more time to adapt. Neither Hojlund nor Martial are doing well but Martial at least has a goal and an assist in 4 league starts. Hojlund is 0 in 8. Same team.
I talk about the Everton game because its the first time in 14 games our attack actually clicked. 14! That's why 2 of our 4 attacking starters that day scored from open play, all 4 were involved in play that lead to the goals. That even ALSO enabled the in shocking form Rashford to have a chance to score from the penalty spot.

Whilst you in comparison are just putting numbers of games started against each other and numbers of goals and assists without context and pretending Martial is doing better than Rasmus, that either of them is supposedly to blame for their EPL struggles this season rather than accepting the shockingly reality of how badly both have been supplied this season in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.