View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Unlucky not to score of Rashford's cross early on. Ball looped off the defender and he did well to throw a hip at it. You can argue that had he put his knee through it, the ball would've risen over the keeper. However, he had to make a split second decision and he didn't have enough room to swing his foot at it. I loved his hold up play before he slid Garnacho through on goal. We could get a lot out of that if our widemen remember how to shoot. Not saying he can become a full fat Diego Costa type. However, the semi-skimmed version would still do bits for us.
Split second decision is exactly what it was. As good as the chance is, I can't blame him a lot. He still made good contact and that was a great save by Kaminski.
The header is what bothers me more strangely.

Hoof the ball

Oddly enough, I thought he was quite good. Here's the thing; centre-forwards like him. We're talking about guys who hang around the box and look to get on the end of things, they just don't touch the ball much. Case in point; City are a possession dominant side. How many touches do you think Haaland gets? It's not many. Not many at all.

He holds it up well, but our transitioning is poor so he's often isolated without being offered a safe pass.
He gets on the end of crosses, but we put in so few crosses of any quality that it impacts his ability to even generate chances.

He was unfortunate with the first chance simply because a deflection changed the trajectory sufficiently to render a decision on his part more instinctual than based around ability. He was dreadfully unfortunate that he didn't walk away with an assist to Garnacho only because Alejandro still hasn't found consistency in his decision-making.

Two split-second moments and we're talking about a goal and an assist. Now, ask yourselves; if two split-second moments are the difference between determining if a player played well or not, are you really thinking about how he's playing?

PSV

Oddly enough, I thought he was quite good. Here's the thing; centre-forwards like him. We're talking about guys who hang around the box and look to get on the end of things, they just don't touch the ball much. Case in point; City are a possession dominant side. How many touches do you think Haaland gets? It's not many. Not many at all.

He holds it up well, but our transitioning is poor so he's often isolated without being offered a safe pass.
He gets on the end of crosses, but we put in so few crosses of any quality that it impacts his ability to even generate chances.

He was unfortunate with the first chance simply because a deflection changed the trajectory sufficiently to render a decision on his part more instinctual than based around ability. He was dreadfully unfortunate that he didn't walk away with an assist to Garnacho only because Alejandro still hasn't found consistency in his decision-making.

Two split-second moments and we're talking about a goal and an assist. Now, ask yourselves; if two split-second moments are the difference between determining if a player played well or not, are you really thinking about how he's playing?
When he's 0 for 8 in his own split-second moments it's natural to think about what a different striker might have accomplished in the same situation.

RedIan

Decent game, top scorer in the champions league and its a matter of time before he scores in the prem. He is getting on the end of chances and it seems always a great save or a narrow miss and its not happened for him. I like him he will come good.

IWat

When he's 0 for 8 in his own split-second moments it's natural to think about what a different striker might have accomplished in the same situation.
He's 20 ffs with the ability to put himself in the right place at the right time. It's not his fault Martial etc are dogshite and he's having to lead the line vs be an understudy for a year or two. The end product will improve.

Last edited:

Bobski

Utd have a real problem with balance in the front 3. Ideally with a player like Hojlund you would want more creative wide forwards who can link with the midfield and provide chances. Utd have Rashford who is very one dimensional, cut in and shoot, tunnel vision, Garnacho is very much the same at this moment, not very aware of the players or possibilities around him. Antony was supposed to be that type of player but he is chronically lacking in creativity as to be near worthless. Pity Sancho is what he is.

If we are playing Rahford and Garnahco then they probably need a different type of striker to play off. Bit of a mess of team composition for all there are decent attacking individuals.

ClassOf'99

Decent game, top scorer in the champions league and its a matter of time before he scores in the prem. He is getting on the end of chances and it seems always a great save or a narrow miss and its not happened for him. I like him he will come good.
You really wouldn't think it reading most of this thread :lol:

We've been crying out for the club to stop going after older strikers, and go for a young player who can develop into a leading the line #9, we get one and then he gets tore into by "fans", go figure.

Dan_F

He's crap at heading, we were told this before we signed him and it's looking bad watching it as well. Needs to improve on it urgently.
Wasn’t he ahead of the front post? That’s a really hard header to score from if we’re thinking of the same chance.

Lyng

Decent today apart from the header. Should have had am assist.
Bruno still refuses to give him any half decent chance.

KGBhoy

Tell me you know nothing about football without telling me you know nothing about football
I'm only looking at the PL stats. Can't finish to save his life. When you buy someone for what we paid for him, you expect goals. He's had enough chances. Still nothing. Hopefully he turns it around. But for now, based on stats alone, he's no better than Wout.

L1nk

Actually prior to United his stats show he's not that bad heading in the box when he's attacking them, it's his winning of headers outside the box when it comes to controlling the ball as a forward from long passes that was his issue

zaafi

I'm only looking at the PL stats. Can't finish to save his life. When you buy someone for what we paid for him, you expect goals. He's had enough chances. Still nothing. Hopefully he turns it around. But for now, based on stats alone, he's no better than Wout.
Posts like these are so bad. What do you mean he can't finish to save his life? Do you think strikers score every chance they get? Haaland missed 28 big chances last season, ending up as the striker with most missed chances, and is already leading the same statistic with 11 big chances missed. The difference is that Haaland gets served chance after chance each game, and Højlund does not. I agree that he should have scored today, but missing chances is inevitably going to happen to every striker in the world no matter how good you are, but where we need to improve is actually creating more for him.

And no better than Wout? Please. You don't have to be a football scout to see what Højlund brings that Wout didn't.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I am not worried about him, the goals will come, on a good run he ends a game with two goal contributions. He's one player that I wouldn't touch in this team at the moment, we need to solve all kinds of issues around him.
He's not great but he's better than I thought he will be.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Posts like these are so bad. What do you mean he can't finish to save his life? Do you think strikers score every chance they get? Haaland missed 28 big chances last season, ending up as the striker with most missed chances, and is already leading the same statistic with 11 big chances missed. The difference is that Haaland gets served chance after chance each game, and Højlund does not. I agree that he should have scored today, but missing chances is inevitably going to happen to every striker in the world no matter how good you are, but where we need to improve is actually creating more for him.

And no better than Wout? Please. You don't have to be a football scout to see what Højlund brings that Wout didn't.
Of course that he is better than Wout. But that excuse how he was unlucky or how every striker misses chances is valid when striker is scoring and missing at the same time. Hojlund so far is only missing chances. Week after week.
I understand that we are all desperate for him to be success but guy has zero goals in 8 or 9 games in PL. That is awful, awful stat for striker.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Of course that he is better than Wout. But that excuse how he was unlucky or how every striker misses chances is valid when striker is scoring and missing at the same time. Hojlund so far is only missing chances. Week after week.
I understand that we are all desperate for him to be success but guy has zero goals in 8 or 9 games in PL. That is awful, awful stat for striker.
What are his stats for big chances?

NZT-One

He's crap at heading, we were told this before we signed him and it's looking bad watching it as well. Needs to improve on it urgently.
Lets hope McCarthy can do a job with that. Shouldn't be too difficult, he has the height and probably the timing, maybe he just didn't need to be good at it given the level he played before.

NZT-One

He is young, new to the league, new to the team. A team which is dysfunctional to say it mildly. If he had 0 in 8 for City, I'd agree with you but here, I'd give him some leeway. He is working hard and he gets to the right places at the right time. I'm sure the goals will come. Lets remind ourselves that we paid for his potential.

Dragam

Wasn’t he ahead of the front post? That’s a really hard header to score from if we’re thinking of the same chance.
He was indeed, and it is indeed a hard header to score, as you got such a narrow angle between the keeper and far post - and it vent narrowly past the far post.

Dragam

I get the distinct impression that alot of you lot don't even watch the games, let alone the champions league games...

antsmithmk

Hates women.
He looks good a makes things happen when the ball is played into his feet. Proper old fashioned hold up centre forward. Shame we very rarely get the ball into him though.

Salford_Red83

I wish the Caf had the ability to dislike comments

MDFC Manager

I'm thinking of the one from the corner, great movement to make space but couldn't direct it well

SirSean

He's just a more graceful Weghorst.
Any attempt to say there are similarities between Højlund and Weghorst is absurd at best. Højlund is far more dominating, and engaging in the build-up, and certainly knows where to be.