Rashford is as good as Mbappé...

In your opinion is Rashford presently as good as Mbappé?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Downplaying the defending in England compared with France. Well there's a fatuous post.
Except that the praise he's getting has little to do with what he's done in France. He tore the current PL leaders a new one few months back. He tore the best club in Germany a new one a few days back. He's already performed at the biggest stage. Performances in the CL are all that matter in terms of rating the top players, the rest is far less important whichever league it is. It's hardly surprising he's playing for one of the top contenders for the CL right now. Any club with those ambitions won't go near Rashford right now as their first team attacker.

If Rashford was playing at a European club instead of coming through the ranks at United, half of you would think him twice the player. Probably the same ones saying 'he's not' without ever watching Mbappe playing a full match.

True. Rashford and Martial are being forced to play winger roles which is obviously limiting their effectiveness as strikers.

Except that the praise he's getting has little to do with what he's done in France. He tore the current PL leaders a new one few months back. He tore the best club in Germany a new one a few days back. He's already performed at the biggest stage. Performances in the CL are all that matter in terms of rating the top players, the rest is far less important whichever league it is. It's hardly surprising he's playing for one of the top contenders for the CL right now. Any club with those ambitions won't go near Rashford right now as their first team attacker.

Then why make such a ridiculous post ?

Also, the bolded bit is obviously not true since there are young players who may not get exposed to the CL, which of course has no bearing on their individual quality.

Then why make such a ridiculous post ?
There's nothing ridiculous in that. It's been a few years yet some are still living under the same old 'can messi do it on a cold night at stoke' delusion with this funny image of the PL as some sort of intense defensive test where all the top attackers must prove themselves. A 35 year old from the French League joined PL last year and laughed his way to a player of the year nomination. Put Mbappe in City right now and he'd slaughter whatever the PL can throw at him.

Also, the bolded bit is obviously not true since there are young players who may not get exposed to the CL, which of course has no bearing on their individual quality.
Rashford played against Ajax in the Europa final and had no impact whatsoever. He hasn't really taken the opportunity that's come his way either. And there's a reason that some youngsters are playing regularly for CL top dogs like Asensio, Dembele and Mbappe and getting that opportunity, simply because they are a cut above the rest in their age group and already playing at a level required for that stage.

There's nothing ridiculous in that. It's been a few years yet some are still living under the same old 'can messi do it on a cold night at stoke' delusion with this funny image of the PL as some sort of intense defensive test where all the top attackers must prove themselves. A 35 year old from the French League joined PL last year and laughed his way to a player of the year nomination. Put Mbappe in City right now and he'd slaughter whatever the PL can throw at him.

Just to be clear - are you actually suggesting the French league is on par with the English league ?

And no Mbappe wouldn't do what you said at City. He'd be about as good as Gabriel Jesus, which would be good but certainly not worthy of gargling his testicles in a Rashford comparison thread.

Rashford played against Ajax in the Europa final and had no impact whatsoever. He hasn't really taken the opportunity that's come his way either. And there's a reason that some youngsters are playing regularly for CL top dogs like Asensio, Dembele and Mbappe and getting that opportunity, simply because they are a cut above the rest in their age group and already playing at a level required for that stage.

He hasn't been used as a striker that much has he. Nor has Martial. You seem smitten with a classic case of 'grass is always greener because my player's surname doesn't end in a vowel'.

Just to be clear - are you actually suggesting the French league is on par with the English league ?
I'm suggesting that Mbappe has already performed at a stage far superior to the PL against better teams than what PL can throw, including the best team in England right now which is far more relevant in terms of judging his performances. And no, performing solely in the PL isn't any sort of achievement for an attacker given the horrible state of defenders in almost every team. It's just as easy for a top attacker to perform in England as any of the other 4-5 European leagues. One can go ahead and measure the goals/game in this league to testify that.

He hasn't been used as a striker that much has he. Nor has Martial. You seem smitten with a classic case of 'grass is always greener because my player's surname doesn't end in a vowel'.
True. I've also heard that Zidane really liked the way Mbappe made a cup of coffee and hence wanted him to start for his team.

I'm suggesting that Mbappe has already performed at a stage far superior to the PL against better teams than what PL can throw, including the best team in England right now which is far more relevant in terms of judging his performances. And no, performing solely in the PL isn't any sort of achievement for an attacker given the horrible state of defenders in almost every team. It's just as easy for a top attacker to perform in England as any of the other 4-5 European leagues. One can go ahead and measure the goals/game in this league to testify that.

True. I've also heard that Zidane really liked the way Mbappe made a cup of coffee and hence wanted him to start for his team.

Ok, well Rashford hasn't yet been on that (CL) stage until this year has he, so its impossible to hold that against him. And even this year, he is not going to be doing it as a striker, so again, expecting him to put up Mbappe's numbers of last year is not going to happen. Rashford is on pace to knock in about 20 goals in all comps as a 19 year old this year, which is about as good you're going to get out of any teenager playing in the world's most competitive league.

There's nothing ridiculous in that. It's been a few years yet some are still living under the same old 'can messi do it on a cold night at stoke' delusion with this funny image of the PL as some sort of intense defensive test where all the top attackers must prove themselves. A 35 year old from the French League joined PL last year and laughed his way to a player of the year nomination.
That's false. Even though Zlatan was pretty effective for us he scored 28 goals in 46 matches for us. He scored 50 goals in 50 matches for PSG the previuos season. Sure, nobody is saying that Mbappe will be somehow less of a player, but he will certainly be way less effective in the PL than in the French league.

. A 35 year old from the French League joined PL last year and laughed his way to a player of the year nomination. Put Mbappe in City right now and he'd slaughter whatever the PL can throw at him.

You do realise it is Zlatan Ibrahimovich that you are talking about. Not just any 35 year old, one of the best players of his generation. Mbappe would be lucky to get anywhere near the numbers Zlatan put up at PSG. 122 games, 113 goals and 44 assists.

A 35 year old from the French League joined PL last year and laughed his way to a player of the year nomination.

Wow...having a go at two of our own players in the same thread, for point scoring purposes. Impressive indeed.

Lol

How is that having a go? I've just highlighted he found it just as easy to dominate the PL.

Downplaying Zlatan (and Rashford) definitely sounds like you are. Has it occurred to you that "old man Ibra" knocked 50 goals in your vaunted French league two seasons ago and that it would be logical to expect him to do well in England ?

You can post a link of a big club showing interest in Rashford to contradict me.

How do you know these big clubs didn't admire him but were put off by the fact that they needn't bother attempting to lure him away because we would never sell; whereas Monaco are clearly a selling club that was being used as a stepping stone by half their players.

Last edited:
It's not. He's not wanted by any big teams in the CL, unlike Dembele and Mbappe.

What? How on earth could anyone knows this unless you’re in Rashford’s inner circle.

How is that having a go? I've just highlighted he found it just as easy to dominate the PL.

Zlatan has been dominating leagues for years, not 6 months like Mbappe.

He also didn’t find it as easy, he scored 17 and 5 assists in 28 games last season. In Ligue 1 he scored 38 and 13 assists in 31 games in his final season. Thats a big difference. 21 more goals and 8 more assists in 3 more games.

Mbappe will be the star of the post Messi next generation. Rashford will be a very good player but not the very best. There's nothing I've seen from Rashford to suggest that isn't the case.

If you've never watched Mbappe play the game of football, then sure.

Don't really see it myself. I'd be genuinely delighted if Rashford became the new Andy Cole.

Mbappe looks likely to become the next Messi.

Mbappe will be the star of the post Messi next generation. Rashford will be a very good player but not the very best. There's nothing I've seen from Rashford to suggest that isn't the case.

He will be a very good player but I'm doubtful he will ever be as good as his hype. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he regresses a bit in the coming year or two, at which point people will suddenly reassess their views.

If you've never watched Mbappe play the game of football, then sure.

Don't really see it myself. I'd be genuinely delighted if Rashford became the new Andy Cole.

Mbappe looks likely to become the next Messi.

He would be fortunate to be three quarters as good as Henry imo.

Good luck with that, Mbappe is obsessed with improving. The guy won the Euro and Ligue 1 and went straight home to rest so he could practice the next day while his teammates celebrated. Rashford is a hard worker too, but he won't outwork Mbappe. Only an injury or some major changes in his life would change his progression.

Also, people saying Mbappe is already the finished product and won't improve much are crazy; the kid is 18! He has very solid foundation, but there's a ton of things he can improve, such as range of passing, aggressiveness, strength, technique, set-pieces, and headers. That's not to say he's bad at any of those, but that's definitely aspects of his game that will improve over time. His finishing while great already will only get better over time as well.

I do believe Rashford has the most room to grow out of the two because he is fairly behind on certain key aspects such as finishing and decision-making. If he can sort those two things out (and it's not a given), then I believe Rashford will be a world-class player as well. Right now, I think it's an absolute joke to compare the two, and it's probably only in a united forum that you will find people willing to make that comparison. I strongly suggest anyone who disagrees with that to watch full games of Mbappe instead of just highlights, it's pretty glaringly obvious right now who the better overall player is.
Do you get boners about mbappe?? Good luck with what? Its not me trying to be better than him.

Not sure if your agreeing with me or not. Its a long post telling me what iv already said, Mbappes better.

Regarding whos going to improve more, thats total guess work and opinion, how do you know rashford wont outwork mbappe? I dont know works harder of the two or who will work harder than the two in future, thats why i said "IF rashfords more dedicated and works harder"

Dont think iv seen anyone say mbappes the finished product.

Like i said in the post you quoted, i agree with you, i think mbappes better.

Do you get boners about mbappe?? Good luck with what? Its not me trying to be better than him.

Not sure if your agreeing with me or not. Its a long post telling me what iv already said, Mbappes better.

Regarding whos going to improve more, thats total guess work and opinion, how do you know rashford wont outwork mbappe? I dont know works harder of the two or who will work harder than the two in future, thats why i said "IF rashfords more dedicated and works harder"

:lol:

I don't think the French league is harder or even on the level of the Premier league. However, I do believe if you're a good goal-scorer in France, you're more than likely going to succeed in England as well.

The competition is a bit stronger, but let's not act like England is Serie A in the 90's, the defense in PL are nothing Mbappe wouldn't be able to deal with. Look at G. Jesus, the guy comes from the Brazilian league (can we all agree it's more shit than the French or Premier league?), and even through his injuries, he's having no issue whatsoever making an impact and scoring.
When Torres came to Liverpool from Atletico, he suddenly became this goalscoring machine (for a little while) and had an incredible season. Zlatan joined a United side that wasn't as stacked as PSG compared to its competition like PSG is in the Ligue 1, and yet he was comfortably scoring and leading the charts for United when he was already past it. What about Martial? I mean, Martial is a flagrant example of a player who wasn't scoring much in France and came to England, not even speaking the language, and put in solid shifts and scoring over 15 goals in the Premier league when he never got that close in his short time at Monaco.

I believe Lacazette will also show that he can perform at a similar level to Lyon once he's fully integrated into the team.

He will be a very good player but I'm doubtful he will ever be as good as his hype. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he regresses a bit in the coming year or two, at which point people will suddenly reassess their views.
Why?

I think people often make the mistake of extrapolating one breakout season into an expectation that it will continue in seasons 2, 3 and beyond, which of course creates this irrationally exuberant sentiment that Mbappe will be an Henry or Messi calibre player.

I'm pretty confident Mbappe will be the next world superstar. He has the physical attributes but the game intelligence as well. He plays at such a high level already. Rashford is steadily improving and will one day be a very good player. Mbappe is already a very good player. That's how I see it anyway.

Haha, if Mbappe ends up doing something with France in the world cup, I may very well soil my pants but until then no, I'm just excited about his talent and ability and like to discuss it.

What I meant was that the notion of hard-work being an advantage for a player like Rashford only works if you compare him to someone who won't work just as hard. The Quaresma/Cristiano comparison shows that hard work pays off instead of coasting off talent. However, Mbappe is just a hard a worker as Rashford, maybe even more, so I don't see Rashford overtaking him through hard work.

And I've seen several posts whether it was here or on the Mbappe thread saying that he's not going to improve much because he's already close to the finished product. They shouldn't be very difficult to find.

I think people often make the mistake of extrapolating one breakout season into an expectation that it will continue in seasons 2, 3 and beyond, which of course creates this irrationally exuberant sentiment that Mbappe will be an Henry or Messi calibre player.
He very well could. But all evidence is pointing to the contrary at the moment.

Folks dissing the French league, did you guys forget how easy Martial found it in his debut season here? Something like 17 goals and 11 assists. Well Mbappe was on a different planet to Martial last year as opposed to the latter's last season for Monaco.

Ok, well Rashford hasn't yet been on that (CL) stage until this year has he, so its impossible to hold that against him. And even this year, he is not going to be doing it as a striker, so again, expecting him to put up Mbappe's numbers of last year is not going to happen. Rashford is on pace to knock in about 20 goals in all comps as a 19 year old this year, which is about as good you're going to get out of any teenager playing in the world's most competitive league.

Kind of agree with your point on extrapolation ,form could certainly vary Mbappe may not even realise his full potential but didn't you do the same for Rashford predicting his season's numbers based on on his current form which is not even quarter of the ongoing campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.