Rashford is as good as Mbappé...

In your opinion is Rashford presently as good as Mbappé?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's quite hard when it's all blurry as feck.

Well, the highlights weren't the point, and I'm sure it's highlights you've already seen. The point is the comparison made in the title of this thread is actually discussed in the clip I've posted by Ferdinand, Gerrard, and Lampard.

Well, the highlights weren't the point, and I'm sure it's highlights you've already seen. The point is the comparison made in the title of this thread is actually discussed in the clip I've posted by Ferdinand, Gerrard, and Lampard.
I hadn't seen the highlights.
Besides, people will want to see what they are talking about, not just hear them talk.
That's why the show they work on shows what they talk about while they talk.

I hadn't seen the highlights.
Besides, people will want to see what they are talking about, not just hear them talk.
That's why the show they work on shows what they talk about while they talk.

To be fair most football fans will have already watched the game/highlights. The clips are not important to the context of their views either, they are not dissecting his play clip by clip, they are just stating their opinion on his ability.

To be fair most football fans will have already watched the game/highlights. The clips are not important to the context of their views either, they are not dissecting his play clip by clip, they are just stating their opinion on his ability.
Doubt most football fans have, or that it's good enough excuse to only put forward a video of people talking about opinions already voiced by tons on here already, instead of just quoting them saying it and arguing why their word should matter above those who may have said that Rashford or another big talent is up there (with all the stupid pundits out there I'm sure there have been talks, but alas I don't have anyone in mind as I rarely watch those shows these days), but i'll let it go.

Obviously I share their opinion that Mbappe is a class above.

What? Europa is nothing on the CL. And Rashford has had 2 sub appearances in the CL this season. Come on now. That's clutching.

Maybe, but I like Rashford better :) it's just bullshit to say Mbappe is so much better than Rashford. Hype is a wonderful thing though.

You're right. He is.

And If Kylian Mbappe was Killian Mason playing for Man Utd and Marcus Rashford was Marcelo Rashfordinho playing for PSG, we would all be envious of PSG.

It's the United fans way. We always want what we don't have. Nothing we have is ever good enough. I can't stand it.

Rashford is better physically, Mbappe is better in decision making and technical ability.
Choose one.

I will choose Rashford! Mancunian, Tall, Fast, Strong and have a better mentality.

He'd be foolish not to.

Mbappe would have played on the flanks with Mourinho just like Rashford, as both aren't the kind of striker he prefers to have.

And no manager will change his ideas of how to build a team because of an exciting young talent.

Mbappe would have played on the flanks with Mourinho just like Rashford, as both aren't the kind of striker he prefers to have.

And no manager will change his ideas of how to build a team because of an exciting young talent.
I understand that Mourinho want a more physical no 9 as the focal point, but saying MBappe would simply put outwide like Rashford is a stretch. Unlike Rashford, MBappe is better play making, link in VIP centrally game and dribbles inside (at least for the time being). Notice how Martial was employed more central in many occasion than Rashford by Mourinho this season. Martial attack the space created by Lukaku left behind. Rashford is more about running in behind which would be overstepping Lukaku if he stays central. MBappe is good at both, so wouldn't be a problem if he stay more central and do the Martial role.

Rashford and Martial are filling out their game though. Just saying Mbappe for his age is filling out his game better than both, more dimensional.

Last edited:
I understand that Mourinho want a more physical no 9 as the focal point, but saying MBappe would simply put outwide like Rashford is a stretch. Unlike Rashford, MBappe is better play making, link in VIP centrally game and dribbles inside (at least for the time being). Notice how Martial was employed more central in many occasion than Rashford by Mourinho this season. Martial attack the space created by Lukaku left behind. Rashford is more about running in behind which would be overstepping Lukaku if he stays central. MBappe is good at both, so wouldn't be a problem if he stay more central and do the Martial role.

Well, he could put him on the flanks with instructions to drift inside as an additional forward, but he won't be a lone number 9 in Mourinho team, neither Rashford.

I think the point of the discussion at first was if Rashford is better than Mbappe we wouldn't have signed Lukaku, so the point we're making is either way we would have got Lukaku as Mourinho can't play without a classic number 9 player and both don't fit the category.

Well, he could put him on the flanks with instructions to drift inside as an additional forward, but he won't be a lone number 9 in Mourinho team, neither Rashford.

I think the point of the discussion at first was if Rashford is better than Mbappe we wouldn't have signed Lukaku, so the point we're making is either way we would have got Lukaku as Mourinho can't play without a classic number 9 player and both don't fit the category.
I wouldn't go that far. Mourinho is very adaptive. Has a wing forward gotten to a level that can offset a no 9 end product, he would employ a different tactic to enable that wing forward to score more. See Ronaldo or the goal scoring midfielder Lampard with no 9 Drogba doing the heavy lifting. For all we know, we would have ended up seeing Fellaini as no 10 supporting MBappe. Of course, he prefers an orthodox approach.

I wouldn't go that far. Mourinho is very adaptive. Has a wing forward gotten to a level that can offset a no 9 end product, he would employ a different tactic to enable that wing forward to score more. See Ronaldo or the goal scoring midfielder Lampard with no 9 Drogba doing the heavy lifting. For all we know, we would have ended up seeing Fellaini as no 10 supporting MBappe. Of course, he prefers an orthodox approach.

Mourinho is very adaptive, indeed, but there's some positions in his teams that is always constant and build the system on it, then he can tweak in other players position of he wants. Positions like the defensive midfield or a classic number 9 striker are always constant in all his teams for example. His teams always has certain constant core to it, with some with tweaks to adapt the rest of his players quality. A lone classic number 9 striker is very vital for Mourinho to build his attacking play on, since he occupy defenders leaving spaces for other attackers and can act as a target for long balls.

Mourinho is very adaptive, indeed, but there's some positions in his teams that is always constant and build the system on it, then he can tweak in other players position of he wants. Positions like the defensive midfield or a classic number 9 striker are always constant in all his teams for example. His teams always has certain constant core to it, with some with tweaks to adapt the rest of his players quality. A lone classic number 9 striker is very vital for Mourinho to build his attacking play on, since he occupy defenders leaving spaces for other attackers and can act as a target for long balls.
I understand your point, but I think you still underestimate how adaptive Mourinho. Milito and Benzema ain't exactly the best aerial duelist/target man and those team Mourinho didn't go with high ball as much as his other team. He uses a focal point to hold the ball sure, but the approach may vary which why I jokingly mention Fellaini as no 10 in previous post.

I understand your point, but I think you still underestimate how adaptive Mourinho. Milito and Benzema ain't exactly the best aerial duelist/target man and those team Mourinho didn't go with high ball as much as his other team. He uses a focal point to hold the ball sure, but the approach may vary which why I jokingly mention Fellaini as no 10 in previous post.

No doubt he's one of the most adaptive managers among the current elite ones since he doesn't have a specific football philosophy like Pep or a certain formation that never changes like Conte. He still has his ideas about football and selecting players for positions though. He'll go with any players he has in his hand currently and yes you Fellaini example is very accurate. He'll do a formation that can win with the current players he has bit if he goes to transfer market and has choices he'll definitely get the players he sees it'll fit him immediately without the need of adapting.

You're right. He is.

And If Kylian Mbappe was Killian Mason playing for Man Utd and Marcus Rashford was Marcelo Rashfordinho playing for PSG, we would all be envious of PSG.

It's the United fans way. We always want what we don't have. Nothing we have is ever good enough. I can't stand it.

Not only do we want what we can't have. We are happy to invent all sorts of reasons to justify it.

Just had a look at Rashford and Mbappe's work on YouTube. Don't see much difference between them. Rashford's catalog of goals and tricks is very comparable to Mbappe's. Rashford hasn't yet played a full CL schedule but that of course will change this year. At the international level they both debuted at 18 and have a goal (Marcus has two after Slovenia). The rest is of course subjective. Person A could say Mbappe moves across the pitch like a swan gliding along a lake. Person B could say Rashford embarrasses defenders by running right past them like they're telephone poles etc.

Just had a look at Rashford and Mbappe's work on YouTube. Don't see much difference between them. Rashford's catalog of goals and tricks is very comparable to Mbappe's. Rashford hasn't yet played a full CL schedule but that of course will change this year. At the international level they both debuted at 18 and have a goal (Marcus has two after Slovenia). The rest is of course subjective. Person A could say Mbappe moves across the pitch like a swan gliding along a lake. Person B could say Rashford embarrasses defenders by running right past them like they're telephone poles etc.
Well your assumption is that lack of CL sample on Rashford's part means, given the opportunity, he'd do as well as Mbappe has done, which is better than most made strikers. There's no basis for that. Domestic form doesn't always translate into CL form for players, for whatever reason.

I would say Mbappe is a bit better with decision making and finishing. But no reason why Rashford can’t get there.

Well your assumption is that lack of CL sample on Rashford's part means, given the opportunity, he'd do as well as Mbappe has done, which is better than most made strikers. There's no basis for that. Domestic form doesn't always translate into CL form for players, for whatever reason.

Nor is there any reason to believe Mbape will necessarily continue with his CL form of last year, especially as he now as to share with Neymar and Cavani. Januzaj had a fantastic run of form at 18 and then proceeded to incrementally regress over the next 3 years, so there are no guarantees either way.

Put it this way, Mourinho has ALWAYS built around a strong 6ft + striker.

The first thing he did at United was ensure he got a Zlatan, when Zlatan got injured he went and spent a shit tonne of money to get another typical Mourinho number 9.

Just like he is doing in PSG now, Mbappe would 100% play as a wide forward in a Mourinho team with a Cavani type number 9. There is zero doubt about that at all.

Put it this way, Mourinho has ALWAYS built around a strong 6ft + striker.

The first thing he did at United was ensure he got a Zlatan, when Zlatan got injured he went and spent a shit tonne of money to get another typical Mourinho number 9.

Just like he is doing in PSG now, Mbappe would 100% play as a wide forward in a Mourinho team with a Cavani type number 9. There is zero doubt about that at all.

Martial and Rashford couldn't guarantee the amount of goal of a main scoring player. Lukaku is to replace that. If someone like Ronaldo is already in the team, the central player would just be a pawn sacrificing appending the path for the goal scorer.

For record, Helder Postiga was Mourinho's first prolific forward. He does not fit that tall strong profile. Mourinho continuously pursued Eto'o in his first stint with Chelsea. And the first season in his second stint Eto'o was the main forward.

The approach is different too even with 6ft+ forwards. Already cover how there ain't much that high ball to Milito and Benzema as per Zlatan. Between Lukaku and Zlatan it's different. Last season, the ball didn't go as far and as high due to it is more meant to be taken down and hold up by Zlatan while with Lukaku it can vary as to be knocked on for other player or simply meant for Lukaku run in behind the defense rather simply being hold up.

Mourinho used 2 forward system too. With sufficient width, he ain't asking his forward to move wide. Eto'o at Inter with Mourinho can stay central when Pandez was employed to providing width.

Diego Milito and Benzema aren't the physical monsters it's portrayed Jose loves and he used both of them plenty.

Diego Milito and Benzema aren't the physical monsters it's portrayed Jose loves and he used both of them plenty.

Both very strong though with great hold up play, and both 6ft or above.

As I say, Mbappe isn't even playing as a number 9 at PSG, yet you think Mourinho would play him there if he was a United player? Not a chance.

Both very strong though with great hold up play, and both 6ft or above.

As I say, Mbappe isn't even playing as a number 9 at PSG, yet you think Mourinho would play him there if he was a United player? Not a chance.
Both aren't any stronger than Mbappe and both don't have the aerial prowess to make their height relevant. The only reason he's not PSG's no9 is because they have Cavani, he'll play there soon enough. The reason we bought Lukaku is because none of Rashford or Martial last season proved they can be a serious goal threat. Remember that when Ibra got injured our goals dried up.

:lol::lol::lol: Typical ridiculous knee jerk reaction on the Cafe. Rashford has one good game against the worst team in the league and now he's as good as Mbappe.

Phil Jones is the new Franco Baresi, there I said it.

:lol::lol::lol: Typical ridiculous knee jerk reaction on the Cafe. Rashford has one good game against the worst team in the league and now he's as good as Mbappe.

Phil Jones is the new Franco Baresi, there I said it.
There was already a thread about Jones being the best CB in the league :p

Nor is there any reason to believe Mbape will necessarily continue with his CL form of last year, especially as he now as to share with Neymar and Cavani. Januzaj had a fantastic run of form at 18 and then proceeded to incrementally regress over the next 3 years, so there are no guarantees either way.

Januzajs form wasn't even close to Mbappes. Nor is Rashford. It's not just about the goals, it's the way he consistently beats a man, the superior technique, the decision making and so on.

Of course there are no guarantees but at this stage it's quite obvious to know which way Mbappe is heading and it sure as hell isn't backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.