Rashford is as good as Mbappé...

In your opinion is Rashford presently as good as Mbappé?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mbappe got 2 assists because Bayern are shit and wanted the manager sacked:lol:, all in a bid to prove that Rashfords assists against Crystal Palace make him better,fecking hell

I know we take the mick out of Liverpool for overrating their own players, but some here are just as guilty. Granted we sit 2nd in the league while they do theirs in the off-season, but the point remains all the same.

Mbappe shits on Rashford. Stylistically I can see a similarity, but that's where the comparison ends. Mbappe has an intensity to his game that's directly resulting from having superior talent.

Well there's an actual manager currently choosing Cavani over Mbappe so how do you answer that @RooneyLegend ?

The answer to that is that you don't have to choose between Mbappé or Lukaku, for two reasons first because they can play together upfront and Mbappé can play wide and he is pretty good out wide.

The answer to that is that you don't have to choose between Mbappé or Lukaku, for two reasons first because they can play together upfront and Mbappé can play wide and he is pretty good out wide.

That's exactly the point I was making @JPRouve. That Mourinho would still have bought Lukaku even if he had Mbappe on his books, because Lukaku fits the Mourinho number 9 mould. Mbappe then, like Martial and Rashford now, would play as a wide forward, just as he does currently in PSG.

Mbappe shits on Rashford. Stylistically I can see a similarity, but that's where the comparison ends. Mbappe has an intensity to his game that's directly resulting from having superior talent.

So nothing substantive between them other than the usual subjective stuff.

So nothing substantive between them other than the usual subjective stuff.
Nothing except scoring home and away against City, home and away against Dortmund, away against Juventus (all in the knockout stages of the CL no less), and now had big part in the thrashing of Bayern. No one that isn't wearing red-tinted glasses could possibly think that there's nothing between them!

Have a strong feeling there's a lot of people in here who have barely seen Mbappe play.

Nothing except scoring home and away against City, home and away against Dortmund, away against Juventus (all in the knockout stages of the CL no less), and now had big part in the thrashing of Bayern. No one that isn't wearing red-tinted glasses could possibly think that there's nothing between them!

That's great but Rashford hasn't yet had a chance to play those clubs in the CL. He has however played City and scored against them as an 18 year old, he has also played Chelsea and scored against them, as well as had a brace v Arsenal. Basically most best clubs he's played against he's scored. In addition to that, he has also scored in his debuts in the Prem, FA Cup, League Cup, Europa League, CL, and for England. So all things said, unless you're trapped in the Mbappe reality distortion field, there's really little between them.

Last edited:
That's great but Rashford hasn't yet had a chance to play those clubs in the CL. He has however played City and scored against them as an 18 year old, he has also played Chelsea and scored against them, as well as had a brace v Arsenal. Basically most best clubs he's played against he's scored. In addition to that, he has also scored in his debuts in the Prem, FA Cup, League Cup, Europa League, CL, and for England. So all things said, unless you're trapped in the Mbappe reality distortion field, there's really little between them.
Yeah, because those things are equivalent to scoring in the knockout stages of the CL or against Bayern! Also there's a leap of logic from Rashford hasn't yet had a chance to play those clubs in the CL to there's nothing between them. What Mbappe has been doing in the CL is something very special, and that you count goals against Midtjylland and Northampton as a counter to that is telling! :lol:

Yeah, because those things are equivalent to scoring in the knockout stages of the CL or against Bayern! Also there's a leap of logic from Rashford hasn't yet had a chance to play those clubs in the CL to there's nothing between them. What Mbappe has been doing in the CL is something very special, and that you count goals against Midtjylland and Northampton as a counter to that is telling! :lol:

Not sure what else you can expect since one hasn’t yet played a full year in the CL. Rashford has excelled against every level of opposition placed before him so far, and is of course playing for a much bigger club in a much bigger and more competitive league, where he has had to play second fiddle to the likes of Zlatan and now Lukaku. And these aren’t rose tinted specs, especially if you’ve seen my views on Lukaku v Morata. I simply call it as I see it.

Mbappe is more talented, which isn't a slight on Rashford. Mbappe is the best young player in the World, one of the most impressive I've seen in a very long time. To have that clinical nature at such a young age is special. Rashford is still immensely talented though. I also wouldn't be surprised if Rashford closes the gap purely down to his mentality and drive.

I don't quite understand, how does one score against the likes of Bayern and Juventus in the Champions League if they don't actually get to face them in the Champions League?

Look, Rashford is a fantastic talent. Mbappe is just a bit better though, he's more composed in how he plays and his close control is better as well.

I think Mbappe has that thing that the very best players have; the ability to run at incredible speed and not lose control of the ball. He looks totally in charge with the ball at his feet and when you have that, you do have the potential to be one of the world's very best. The closest we have to that is actually Martial and maybe Mkhitaryan. Rashford has the sort of talent that for me makes his highest potential something like Andy Cole or maybe even Michael Owen. We'd be very lucky to have that obviously but he never looks like he can be a Henry which Mbappe does. Their current performance level is not much to draw from really. Mbappe had that brilliant run in the CL last year but Rashford also had some brilliant games versus top opposition last year. It's just that Mbappe looks like he has so much more to offer.

I don't quite understand, how does one score against the likes of Bayern and Juventus in the Champions League if they don't actually get to face them in the Champions League?
I see this argument many times. I see it about our Europa League win last years when fans would argue that we were fantastic and that it's unfair to judge us on the CL like the other English teams since we weren't playing in it. I think the point is whereas it is unfair to judge Rashford on something he did not have a chance in, it is also unfair to consider him equal when he didn't prove it at that stage yet. We cannot act like two players are of the same level when one proved more just because the other did not get the chance to prove it.

I see this argument many times. I see it about our Europa League win last years when fans would argue that we were fantastic and that it's unfair to judge us on the CL like the other English teams since we weren't playing in it. I think the point is whereas it is unfair to judge Rashford on something he did not have a chance in, it is also unfair to consider him equal when he didn't prove it at that stage yet. We cannot act like two players are of the same level when one proved more just because the other did not get the chance to prove it.

I agree. I for myself think that Mbappe is a very talented player in a fine vein of form.

He's an elite player just shy of world class for me though, and isn't certainly "2 levels" above Rashford based on a single good season. Rashford may not be as good as Mbappe is right now but that's more due to form rather than pure talent in my opinion.

Have to agree with the majority in that Mbappe looks the more talented player. Doesn't mean Rashford can't be the more effective player in the future though, 90% of the game is in the head and Rashford seems to have a fantastic mentality and drive to improve. C.Ronaldo vs Rooney as an example (personally thought Rooney showed as much, if not more when they were very young (albeit not so much with touch and tricks etc) though only one has managed to push on to really be at the peak.

I agree. I for myself think that Mbappe is a very talented player in a fine vein of form.

He's an elite player just shy of world class for me though, and isn't certainly "2 levels" above Rashford based on a single good season. Rashford may not be as good as Mbappe is right now but that's more due to form rather than pure talent in my opinion.
Funny thing for me is the actual opposite. I think when it comes to form, the gap is not so big. But I do find Mbappe significantly more talented. In fact I think Martial is closer to Mbappe's talent than Rashford is. Ah well, hopefully Rashford goes on to do more with his talent, it's not like it would be a first.

Mbappe is a breakthrough in his age imo. He combines both Martial and Rashford's best attributes that it's hard to see if which one is near to him. He has Martial's excellent close control and ability to take on players with ease while also doesn't stop moving and running during the game as Rashford. His decision making is very composed considering his age it's unreal actually. I think it's normal for any 19-20 years old player to feck up some balls here and there as his decision making isn't supposed to be at its best at this age but Mbappe doesn't look like that, so no need to be harsh on any of our talents as they're very good and still developing. It's just Mbappe who isn't normal to have such a skills and decision making combined at this age. No one knows the future, though, so he may stagnate in his developing at some points and Martial and Rashford catch with him. Football isn't that predictable anyway.

There isnt that much between them actually, we just hype up other top teams players. If Rashford went up for sale next season it would be 0ver the 100M mark. Mbappe is going to be a great but Rashford imo isnt that far away.

There isnt that much between them actually, we just hype up other top teams players. If Rashford went up for sale next season it would be 0ver the 100M mark. Mbappe is going to be a great but Rashford imo isnt that far away.
Agree. We might not have won EL without him. That backheel to wrong foot 2 defenders and strike with the left foot against Anderlecht. The free kick he won by taking on 2 defenders, and the consequent goal against Celta Vigo. The great pass to pick out Fellaini in the box. It's fair to say he stepped up when Zlatan went down. He tore the Arsenal defence to shreds in his PL debut. Over and above all that his improvement this season is not inconsiderable.

This discussion will be better had at the end of this season when we see how they both fare.

Rashford will then have had his chance to play in the CL and Mbappe will have the opportunity to put the one season tag behind him.

This discussion will be better had at the end of this season when we see how they both fare.

Rashford will then have had his chance to play in the CL and Mbappe will have the opportunity to put the one season tag behind him.

True. Let's see how this year plays out before looking at this.

True. Let's see how this year plays out before looking at this.

It's the only way that the same arguments don't come up. People that feel Mbappe is better will use his CL performances as a measuring stick, people supporting Rashford will simply say Mbappe has only performed for one season.

We should have a clearer idea by the end of the season as to where they both are at.

I think Rashford doesn't know how good he really is or can be. If Mourinho turns him loose you will see a player who can be devastating and as a Liverpool supporter it pains me to say it but I can't ignore what i actually see

Reactions: Penna
Rashford has the sort of talent that for me makes his highest potential something like Andy Cole or maybe even Michael Owen. We'd be very lucky to have that obviously but he never looks like he can be a Henry which Mbappe does.
Strange comparison to make. Owen and Andy Cole were basically classic number 9 goalscorers - not really much like Rashford at all. If anything, in terms of running from deep with pace and power he looks more similar to Henry than Owen or Cole, and yes, he's got a long way to go to reach Henry's level, but he's playing at a higher level than Henry was at the same age.

Agreed. Harsh to say Mbappe has done it in CL against the likes of Dortmund and City when Rashford has done against equally good City & Chelsea teams in the Premier League. There's absolutely no reason to think he won't take that form into the CL with that considered.

This season will tell us a lot more about the two of them, both have started superbly.

It's always laughable when people say how much potential a young player has at best, especially for a quickly improving player like Rashford. It's like FM, using database or genie scout.

Every player improves at their own pace, we have superb example who is smashing them in every season who didn't look so special when he was loaned out to all sort of Championship club.

Status
Not open for further replies.