Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ramos also wanted to go to PSG, something that Varane by most accounts isn't interested in.

Like you mentioned, those other 2 were confirmed just about before or immediately after the season ended, before the possibility of Varane leaving even started being reported on.

The possibility of Varane leaving has been reported for years, this isn't a new thing. It has also been reported that United were his favored option for years and United being interested has also been reported for years. As Sultan said earlier United is an attractive proposition for a player that isn't looking for easy trophies because he has already won everything, he is looking for a new challenge which United provides in the form of making United great again and United also has the luxury of effectively having as much money as any other club on earth and able to match his financial demands.

For me it’s not about how big attraction United are for players, but more a question why Varane isn’t attractive to any other club.
He wants a new challenge in the PL?

Woodward standing out his bedroom window every summer with a boombox playing love songs seems to have finally paid off.

There have been reports as far back as 2016 saying Varane is a boyhood red who's idol growing up was Ferdinand. The difference here between Ramos and Varane is I feel like United and PSG were second options to Ramos, if Madrid offered the same contract as PSG Ramos would still be there. With Varane, I genuinely believe he wants a new challenge and wants to play in the prem.

The possibility of Varane leaving has been reported for years, this isn't a new thing. It has also been reported that United were his favored option for years and United being interested has also been reported for years. As Sultan said earlier United is an attractive proposition for a player that isn't looking for easy trophies because he has already won everything, he is looking for a new challenge which United provides in the form of making United great again and United also has the luxury of effectively having as much money as any other club on earth and able to match his financial demands.
I understand it hasn't come out of nowhere but I was talking about this current window/cycle. There wasn't much talk regarding his future yet in the lead up to the Euros. It's mainly over the past month or so that we've started hearing real noise about him wanting to leave, much of the attention had been focused on Ramos's exit earlier

There have been reports as far back as 2016 saying Varane is a boyhood red who's idol growing up was Ferdinand. The difference here between Ramos and Varane is I feel like United and PSG were second options to Ramos, if Madrid offered the same contract as PSG Ramos would still be there. With Varane, I genuinely believe he wants a new challenge and wants to play in the prem.
Completely agree.

I understand it hasn't come out of nowhere but I was talking about this current window/cycle. There wasn't much talk regarding his future yet in the lead up to the Euros. It's mainly over the past month or so that we've started hearing real noise about him wanting to leave, much of the attention had been focused on Ramos's exit earlier

There has been constant talks regarding his future, it has been non stop since early 2019 and actually started in 2018 as a rumour. Here you have an example of articles since January:

https://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2021/02/08/6021bb4d268e3e885a8b457a.html
https://www.goal.com/en/news/man-ut...contract-situation/1633ag427hcf710spwdnvrhd68
https://en.as.com/en/2021/03/10/football/1615370713_234288.html
https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/football...ecruter-varane-a-chelsea_AV-202104180076.html

The RMC article adds to a Bild article that linked Varane to Chelsea because Tuchel likes him but United were considered as the favorites for his signing.

Man this looks like it might actually happen. Even just Sancho and Varane alone would make for an amazing summer.

You have to be excited for next season really. Come on Ole, no excuses anymore. Minimum expectation has to be to push City all the way with that squad and go deep in the CL (atleast the semis).

pDDJJnK4_400x400.jpg

Forgot about him haha

Can't believe we are getting him at such a price!
Having a world class player leave RM doesn't happen often enough. I'd say this is already a good window.

Anyone trust the Trippier links spouting up again?

If the signing does come off, he'll still take credit for it through leaks to his favourite pets in the media, no doubt. Fortunately anyone with half a brain will see through it.

The thing is no one new has been added. Judge and Murtough have been around for almost as long as Woodward has been the CEO and Murtough was supposed to be Woodward's main help on the football side of things.

the differences are now also is that we’re actually a decent team.

we were a genuine 2nd place in the league, made it to the EL final and really should have gone further in the CL.

the last years we’ve been struggling and playing some fairly rubbish football, but you have to say things have improved everywhere.

people like Varane will now see United as an attractive footballing team, as well as a pay packet.

Honestly, I wasn't this excited during Sancho saga. RVP's signing and 07/08 signings were the one level this Varane. He's pretty much turning our back four to be competitive to City.

the differences are now also is that we’re actually a decent team.

we were a genuine 2nd place in the league, made it to the EL final and really should have gone further in the CL.

the last years we’ve been struggling and playing some fairly rubbish football, but you have to say things have improved everywhere.

people like Varane will now see United as an attractive footballing team, as well as a pay packet.

I think that it plays a massive part, there is also managers' choices. Ole's targets are also seemingly more realistic and better for the club, think about the alleged silly demands like Robben and Muller.

really encouraging. sancho and varane would be a top window. but in the end its only about how they perform in the end. when di maria and falcao signed it looked also quite a good window. i am really happy nevertheless - our squad is getting more and more competitive

Can't believe we are getting him at such a price!
Having a world class player leave RM doesn't happen often enough. I'd say this is already a good window.

Anyone trust the Trippier links spouting up again?

Clearly we want him and he wants to come here but the difference in valuation between us and Atletico is huge at the moment. I am rather hoping that the mooted swap deal with Saul and Griezmann does go through as I imagine the financial impact of that would require Atletico to generate funds from player sales and so they might come down to a reasonable figure for Trippier.

Excellent signing for United if this goes through. However I still think that a striker should be the next urgent position to fill. Cavani is not a 90 minutes player, and even if he does manage to replicate his past season's form coming off the bench, it would still leave United coming off short a just few steps from a proper Premier League challenge.

The thing is no one new has been added. Judge and Murtough have been around for almost as long as Woodward has been the CEO and Murtough was supposed to be Woodward's main help on the football side of things.

People expect footballers and coaches to grow, learn etc. but the same doesn't apparently apply to execs. I wonder how many can say that their performance in their first year in a new job is the same level as their performance after 3-4 years. I realize normal employee standards don't apply to the C suite but still, there's a period of learning, adapting etc. for all of us.

We can all agree that the management team (including Woody) have been shit when they took over, "one suarez a season", Di Maria, the Sanchez contract etc. We took some hard knocks but transfers, wage structure etc. have improved significantly in the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.