Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we've agreed terms with Varane. Madrid want 60m euros. We want to pay 40m euros so it'll get done somewhere around 50m euros

Mason is a top class transfer muppet. He followed Reguilon when we were heavily linked last summer :lol:

I doubt the players know much more than the industry gossip until it gets to the final stages. Players are hardly going to Ole wondering who are we signing this summer and expecting to be let in on deals. Sancho last summer was a slog and it was obvious to everyone and their dog that we were trying. I’d say players are just thinking about keeping their own place, their next deal and hoping the new lads are good lads who will help us win stuff. Why wouldn’t players be muppets basically? I’d say they are online browsing as much as any of us.

I doubt the players know much more than the industry gossip until it gets to the final stages. Players are hardly going to Ole wondering who are we signing this summer and expecting to be let in on deals. Sancho last summer was a slog and it was obvious to everyone and their dog that we were trying. I’d say players are just thinking about keeping their own place, their next deal and hoping the new lads are good lads who will help us win stuff. Why wouldn’t players be muppets basically? I’d say they are online browsing as much as any of us.

Rash and Sancho were texting each other with apparently Jadon saying "get Ed to pay the money lol" so I think they probably would be aware of each others movements via WhatsApp etc, foreign players maybe less so but I'd be amazed if PP, Martial etc didn't have Varane on a chat somewhere, its likely how Romano etc get their info that the clubs don't leak

We wanted to sign him in 2011 and had something in place for him but Zidane got involved and persuaded him to join Real instead.

People will have you think that we chose Jones over him but it was never one or the other and he chose Real rather than us choosing Jones.
Ah cheers - that was it! Maybe we’ll get to see them play together at last!

I'm still remaining cautious but all the noise sounds positive. I'd be really pleased with this signing, two very sensible additions that really improve the team.

I would be randomly following other footballers and liking transfer posts just for shits and giggles.

No way, despite how good Varane is, that we will pay 50-60 mil for a player who has only one more year of a contract.
For our no1 target (Sancho) we delayed transfer for one year because of 20 mil. For Alexis who was (then) one of best players in PL we payed 35mil.
I have strong Ramos vibes here.

Was saving 20 mill worth it though?
Just speculating
With a better attack we’d won the EL.

With Sancho, it was clear we were the only club he wanted to join, so there was no real risk of losing him if we waited. But Varane would have a flood of offers from other clubs if he was available for free.

The question is why there are no other clubs mentioned now. Is his requested salary too high?Is he considered to be too far beyond his peak? Why not any interest at all from any other clubs?

Arsenal are about to pay £50m-£55m on White and here we are complaining about paying less money on Varane. :wenger:
I personally don’t rate White at all and would strongly prefer Varane, but I can still se how White would cost more/ be worth more on the PL market. He’s English, he’s younger, he would have a big value at end of contract, he’s proven in the PL, he’s settled in England and speaks English, etc.

Last edited:
The question is why there are no other clubs mentioned now. Is his requested salary too high?Is he considered to be too far beyond his peak? Why not any interest at all from any other clubs?
His pool's quite limited when you think about it. He can't really go to Atletico or Barcelona due to obvious reasons. PSG, Liverpool, City and Juventus all have very good CBs already, Bayern and Liverpool ended up getting good deals on Upamecano and Konate, Liverpool even just turned down the chance to sign Kabak for pennies because of how happy they are with their CBs currently. PSG opted for Ramos which is obviously fair enough. Inter Milan are flat broke.

Which leaves you with only really United and Chelsea and by the sounds of it Chelsea are trying to spunk their whole budget on Haaland. Sometimes the stars just align.

Only a handful of clubs could afford his wages and the transfer fee and most of those aren’t going to prioritise him. City and Liverpool are sorted, PSG got Ramos, Bayern never get into transfer bun fights, and Juve have bigger problems. But if he was free, all those clubs would take another look.

Maguire is the leader guys, he is the one doing the commanding area. Varane can do his hand sign while Maguire will do the talking on the pitch. Relax. :p

RMC: "Varane has given Manchester United the green light. An official offer is expected in the coming days".

MV5BMTY5MDc0ODkyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI4ODg3Ng@@._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

He hasn't been permanently injured though. He has periods of being fit it's just he is exiled from the side and rightly so.

Lallana is no different and he got a move.

It's sad by Phil himself for being so ambition less but feck me how did the club hand him a new contract?

Absolute idiots to do that.
Has he been injured permanently for the last 4+ years? No!

We also extended his contract in said time.

Why would anyone extend a player who is never fit and isn't good enough? I can't answer that but someone at the club decided to do it.
He was regularly in the squad either playing or on the bench between his injuries except his last season he played which was 2019/20. He fell out of the reckoning but suffered a long term injury and has not been available pretty much the whole of 2020 to now. We would not have loaned him before then considering he was a regular first team player under multiple managers.

His pool's quite limited when you think about it. He can't really go to Atletico or Barcelona due to obvious reasons. PSG, Liverpool, City and Juventus all have very good CBs already, Bayern and Liverpool ended up getting good deals on Upamecano and Konate, Liverpool even just turned down the chance to sign Kabak for pennies because of how happy they are with their CBs currently. PSG opted for Ramos which is obviously fair enough. Inter Milan are flat broke.

Which leaves you with only really United and Chelsea and by the sounds of it Chelsea are trying to spunk their whole budget on Haaland. Sometimes the stars just align.

I agree to some extent, but it was not a secret that Varane was moving in to his last year and that always means a big opportunity. Liverpool, PSG, and Bayern all chose to sign other players. It even looks as RM chose Alaba instead of Varane.

Only a handful of clubs could afford his wages and the transfer fee and most of those aren’t going to prioritise him. City and Liverpool are sorted, PSG got Ramos, Bayern never get into transfer bun fights, and Juve have bigger problems. But if he was free, all those clubs would take another look.
The wages could be a major issue if the rumours of 350 k per week are true. That would also screw up the structure of wages at many clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.