Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are fellow muppets, come join me in adventure on sea to find Varane. Our destination is Real Madrid island and we are heading there for Varane.

780x463-muppet-treasure-island-20th-did-you-know_3.jpg

So it could mean personal terms are agreed with the player and United are now back in direct contact with Madrid to negotiate a price. The earlier tweet by MEN about Varane happy to run down his contract and join United next year is complete nonsense
Or just some good noises to test Real’s resolve.

The question isn’t “how much do United want to pay to have Varane for 4/5 seasons?” but “how much are Madrid prepared to turn down to have Varane for one more year?”

I’d bet that the latter is a lot less than the former.

So it could mean personal terms are agreed with the player and United are now back in direct contact with Madrid to negotiate a price. The earlier tweet by MEN about Varane happy to run down his contract and join United next year is complete nonsense
Nope, personal terms aren't agreed yet, but United are confident about getting them agreed with Varane (i.e. they'd be happy to offer what Varane's camp wants for the most part). They're in contact with Real Madrid again to try and commence negotiations.

The MEN article stems from a Marca report that states that, if Varane agrees personal terms with United and the clubs can't agree on a deal, then the player himself will be happy to wait until he becomes a free agent rather than, say, pick another club.

I think Varane has told Utd he won't renew :drool:

This is actually happening, with Varane being a top five in the world centre back and Maguire being arguably the best centre back in the Euro’s I can honestly say I’m fecking buzzing.

Their styles and attributes genuinely fit with each other perfectly, I think we’re a pure out and out defensive midfielder away from having a genuinely strong starting eleven that could beat absolutely anyone on our day.

That’s exactly the message somebody would want to get out if he was using somebody for a new contract!

amirite @Pexbo
Certainly sounds like that to me and all the other pessimists.

you'd think we'd be cautious enough during this whole process that we have a pretty good grasp on whether we're used for contract talks or not. Maybe I'm naive, but given that it seems to progress nicely, I like to think that his interest in joining is genuine.

Guys, I have had a completely original thought so bear with me. Spanish giants Real Madrid once had a centre back named Sergey something or other that re-signed with them after being linked with us. Now another CBs is linked to us.. Coincidence?

I don't know guys... I read a tweet 12 seconds ago saying that Varane is "using United to get a better contract" ... it was pretty compelling. On the flipside it said we're switching focus to Mbappe though :drool: ...

I don't know guys... I read a tweet 12 seconds ago saying that Varane is "using United to get a better contract" ... it was pretty compelling. On the flipside it said we're switching focus to Mbappe though :drool: ...
He’s quick so he should be a good foil for Maguire.

This smacks of Varane using Utd's name to get a new contract from Real to be honest.

Every time Ramos wanted a new deal the Utd rumours would come out.

I think that there have been a number of centre backs that justify significant salaries and star status (peak Ramos, Ferdinand, Thiago Silva, Van Dijk etc.), but I haven't seen Varane perform at that standard. The salary being suggested is very substantial, and for defence in general I think it's important that the 'unit' is more collective than individual.

I quite like Chelsea's options at the back at the moment, for instance. They have four defenders (Christensen, Zouma, Rudiger, Silva) who are realistically starters and they've just won a major competition on this foundation.
You realize he has been a top top defender for years winning major trophies. No idea why you think he is not top tier

:wenger::wenger: The only abysmal thing here is your posting! Wow, so pleased Ole is the manager not you.
Take away his penalties and Bruno scored 7 goals in 35 appearances since January. While playing a free role. While putting in frustrating/erratic performances at best, and yes, abysmal performances at worst. Not good enough for where we need to be to get back on top if we're honest.

Thank you very much.

This smacks of Varane using Utd's name to get a new contract from Real to be honest.

Every time Ramos wanted a new deal the Utd rumours would come out.

Take away his penalties and Bruno scored 7 goals in 35 appearances since January. While playing a free role. While putting in frustrating/erratic performances at best, and yes, abysmal performances at worst. Not good enough for where we need to be to get back on top if we're honest.

Thank you very much.
He struggled late on in the year but this is what I’m talking about these Newbie WUM’s. Tiresome.

Thank you very much.

Why would you take away his penalties, are they not also goals? And I would argue Bruno has one of the most defined roles in our team.

RE: Varane would be perfect, and a real statement of intent. We suddenly look a lot better on paper and his routine and his experience in winning trophies is definitively have a huge impact on our relatively "young and inexperienced (at least in a European context)" back-line.

Thank you very much.

Missing the assists stat in there aren't you. Clearly football is not the sport for you if the above is your honest opinion, maybe something along the lines of solitaire so you can just go and play with yourself.

He struggled late on in the year but this is what I’m talking about these Newbie WUM’s. Tiresome.
If he can improve his form and play a more disciplined role, then I am very happy to have him on the team. But I think it's important to acknowledge his struggles over the past 6 months or so. A lot of United fans pretend he's flawless.

If he can improve his form and play a more disciplined role, then I am very happy to have him on the team. But I think it's important to acknowledge his struggles over the past 6 months or so. A lot of United fans pretend he's flawless.
High risk high reward the United way!!!!!!

We need to move to a more modern system, please see my formation below:

_____________Henderson
____Lindelof__Varane__Maguire
Trippier______________________Shaw
_________Tielemans__Pogba
___Greenwood__________Sancho
______________Rashford

My body literally violently convulsed when I read this. Like this is why it’s exhausting arguing with people who hate Ole and his system: their arguments just aren’t rational

Sounds like he’s trying to blag a new deal out of Madrid. Lot of red flags in that tweet.

Just because you say this every day doesn’t make it true. Have some faith, it’s the summer transfer window, anything is possible!:wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.