Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, United shouldn't and wouldn't be happy to wait. I think they'd move to someone else if Varane tried to play out the season. I don't see that happening given his age as he can't risk having an injury that could potentially end his career and thus miss out on one final big pay day.

Will they though? They waited till Bruno's price came down, the same happened with Sancho. They've proven the last couple of years they have no problem waiting till they like the terms of the transfer.

Personally i like Tiago Djalo from Lille more. Djalo can and will do everything Varane will do as a CB. 100 % convinced. Both short and long time solution and investment.
... A 21 year old who started 8 league games last season?

Yes. "In 2018" being the key part of that sentence. He was 25 and had a big resale value after 4 years. Now he's 28 and doesn't. Woodward doesn't like paying fees for older players. Matic at 27 and Maguire at 26 were about as far as he's previously gone with large fees. Most (not all) of his bigger fees have been 25 and under at the time. DVB, Sancho, Fred, AWB, Lukaku, Pogba.

Our transfers

There's a pretty big difference between buying a 28 year-old central defender compared to a winger or midfielder in terms of longevity. I reckon they will be predicting he will be in the team until at least 33.

There's a pretty big difference between buying a 28 year-old central defender compared to a winger or midfielder in terms of longevity. I reckon they will be predicting he will be in the team until at least 33.

Looking at thiago Silva, Bonucci, Chiellini etc you may be right

I don't see why we wouldn't go for Tapsoba instead. I'd argue he's already at a similar level to Varane, if not better. I'm confident he'll be considered a world class CB for a large part of his career as well, barring injury obviously. That's 10+ years in comparison to 4 or 5 seasons with Varane, who is arguably past his best already.

Anyone who has watched Tapsoba play more than a handful of times will surely agree. I don't see any young CB's out there on his level. It's crazy how little he gets talked about really. Whoever signs him will be absolutely laughing.

Good point if it was Maguire who is slow to start with. Varane relies on his pace much more so I imagine will decline faster after 30.

Matic was 29 and cost £40m. I’d say we would be willing to pay around that sum for Varane.

Yeah Matic was an outlier. But he signed on 30th July 2017 so he was 28 (just). He was 29 when he first appeared for us though so you're more right than me. I would certainly pay £40m for him but then it's not my money so who cares.

With all the media stuff coming out today, it seems he is using United's offer really.

I fully expect him to stay at Madrid and sign a new deal.

I really can’t be arsed trudging through weeks and weeks of tweets to catch you up but there is numerous credible sources from press in England, France and Spain saying that Varane has wanted to move to the EPL for a few years now and Zidane has been there to persuade him. It’s Ancelotti there now, a manager he didn’t have a great relationship with last time around. Real are at the start of a new cycle which isn’t the most exciting prospect for a 28 year old that has already won everything he possibly could there, multiple times.

Add on top of this the salary they offer him not reflecting his status as a player and within that club and it’s not hard to see why he’s decided it’s time to move on.

@Pexbo notice the IF at the start of the tweet. This is basically what I am talking about. If I had to bet, I would still bet on Varane staying. Hope I am wrong though as he would be a terrific addition.

@Pexbo notice the IF at the start of the tweet. This is basically what I am talking about. If I had to bet, I would still bet on Varane staying. Hope I am wrong though as he would be a terrific addition.
It’s very possible that he does stay at RM but not based on a wording chosen by someone else. He says if because he doesn’t know, they haven’t spoken to him so cannot speak in absolutes.

“If” just means he hasn’t done it yet. He’s expected to and journalists always cover their back with these sorts of ambiguities.

He’s on holiday and journalists in England, France and Spain are all reporting the same thing… that he wants to sign for us.

Strikes me that Varane wants to come to United. United want to pay 45M euros, Real Madrid want more. Varane is threatening to walk away for free next year to try to force the issue. All part of the negotiations.
I was sceptical at first but I think it will happen, but be patient.

I can't help feeling that if we first sign Sancho from Dortmund and Varane from Real - it sends a big message. It shows that OGS and United can attract quality players - and that United are willing to spend to reach the top again. And that will make it a lot easier to sign the next big name we want. Pau Torres and Kounde as good as they are, simply don't send the same message.

I can't help feeling that if we first sign Sancho from Dortmund and Varane from Real - it sends a big message. It shows that OGS and United can attract quality players - and that United are willing to spend to reach the top again. And that will make it a lot easier to sign the next big name we want. Pau Torres and Kounde as good as they are, simply don't send the same message.
Totally agree. Varane is a marquee name, same with Sancho.

Goes to show we can still attract these names and bodes well for future recruitment, hopefully a top DM next.

Yup I think almost any player in the world would want to play in a team that looks like.

--------------------- Cavani ------------------------
----- Rash ------- Bruno --------- Sancho --
----------------- Fred -- Pogba ------------------
--- Shaw -- Maguire -- Varane -- AwB -
----------------------- DDG --------------------------

Potentially including Haaland next year. If we do well this year, I can see him coming to link up with Sancho again.

Yup I think almost any player in the world would want to play in a team that looks like.

Potentially including Haaland next year. If we do well this year, I can see him coming to link up with Sancho again.
Yeah that’s the best post-Fergie squad we’ve had.

But that includes keeping Pogba, which is needed imo. But no Pogba talk here!

Pogba in a midfield 2, with Fred.
No thank you

Good point if it was Maguire who is slow to start with. Varane relies on his pace much more so I imagine will decline faster after 30.

Yeah Matic was an outlier. But he signed on 30th July 2017 so he was 28 (just). He was 29 when he first appeared for us though so you're more right than me. I would certainly pay £40m for him but then it's not my money so who cares.

When Matic was available there was Fabinho (similar level but much younger) who was available around the same price. Varane is probably the cheapest and best option we can get in this CB market while Matic wasn't both the cheapest and best option we could get at that time and that's why Matic was horrible signing. This is not even comparable as Varane is 1 year younger than Matic was and he had achieved more major trophies than Matic.

can't defensively play bruno and pogba centrally with Fred...we'd get overrun too easily

this is realistic and could easily be done this summer with or without selling Pogba and/or Lingard

----------------- Fred -- Camavinga ----------

This is the perfect storm....this would have to start with the requirement of selling both Pogba and Lingard to raise at least 80m.

-------------Frenkie -- Camavinga ----------

I don't see why we wouldn't go for Tapsoba instead. I'd argue he's already at a similar level to Varane, if not better. I'm confident he'll be considered a world class CB for a large part of his career as well, barring injury obviously. That's 10+ years in comparison to 4 or 5 seasons with Varane, who is arguably past his best already.

Anyone who has watched Tapsoba play more than a handful of times will surely agree. I don't see any young CB's out there on his level. It's crazy how little he gets talked about really. Whoever signs him will be absolutely laughing.

He would be my #1 pick too. Probably cost us additional €15-20m over Varane but is 5-6 years younger and will be on lower wages. Very quick and aerially dominant.

When Matic was available there was Fabinho (similar level but much younger) who was available around the same price. Varane is probably the cheapest and best option we can get in this CB market while Matic wasn't both the cheapest and best option we could get at that time and that's why Matic was horrible signing. This is not even comparable as Varane is 1 year younger than Matic was and he had achieved more major trophies than Matic.

Varane is about 8 months younger than Matic was. My concern is that Varane is a pace player so has a shorter shelf life. I agree that Matic wasn't a great signing. Maybe Ed has a point about older players? In this case though Varane on a cheap/free plus high wages would be good value for the next two years. I wouldn't give him more than a three year contract though.

Pogba in a midfield 2, with Fred.
No thank you
can't defensively play bruno and pogba centrally with Fred...we'd get overrun too easily

Apart from the really big games, Pogba + #10 (Bruno now, Pereira / Lingard etc. before) + a defensive #8 is Ole's preferred midfield, so we're not going to go in to next season with McFred as the starting CMs. Pogba had a pretty good partnership with McT at CM and Fred + Pogba was tried as well, so it's not exactly uncharted territory.

The Pogba at LW experiment only ran for a few games towards the end of last season and only because we didn't have a creative winger. With Sancho we fixed that and I'm 99% sure that Pogba will never play at LW again for us.

If Fred ends up being too light weight (remains to be seen), it'll be McT + Pogba at CM.

First time in my life hearing Varane being a 'pace player' :lol:

His positioning and decision making have always been his main strength, never his speed or physical attributes even though he's not slow at all

I have to agree with you on Tapsoba. I said the same thing in an earlier post. Great alternate choice, has everything except experience. He is linked with Chelsea, we should be all over this transfer.

Varane is about 8 months younger than Matic was. My concern is that Varane is a pace player so has a shorter shelf life. I agree that Matic wasn't a great signing. Maybe Ed has a point about older players? In this case though Varane on a cheap/free plus high wages would be good value for the next two years. I wouldn't give him more than a three year contract though.

8 months younger means 1 full season difference.

Varane was never reliant to his pace just because he has pace. Pretty much like Rio Ferdinand, Rio wasn't reliant to his pace alone just because he has pace. Using your logic on Varane, you could use it on Rio Ferdinand and calling him as a pace player, how long did he survive in top level of football?

It's very lazy to conclude that his pace will be an issue about this transfer without understanding how the player plays just because he has pace.

“If” just means he hasn’t done it yet. He’s expected to and journalists always cover their back with these sorts of ambiguities.

He’s on holiday and journalists in England, France and Spain are all reporting the same thing… that he wants to sign for us.

With Sancho it was always unambiguously stated by all that he wants to move to United. Nobody ever said he will talk to Dortmund if he wants to move etc etc. All I am saying is I see red flags amidst all the positive tweets but am happy to be proven wrong.

Rio Ferdinand is a pace player, how long did he survive in top level of football? Varane was never reliant to his pace just because he has pace. Pretty much like Rio Ferdinand, Rio wasn't reliant to his pace alone just because he has pace. It's very lazy to conclude what his pace will be an issue about this transfer without understanding how the player plays just because he has pace.

Went back to check this, he was 30 in the first half of the 2008-09 season. So many of his honors won came after 30. Whereas here a CB is basically dead as soon as they cross 30!

With Sancho it was always unambiguously stated by all that he wants to move to United. Nobody ever said he will talk to Dortmund if he wants to move etc etc. All I am saying is I see red flags amidst all the positive tweets but am happy to be proven wrong.

It’s pretty unambiguous with this transfer, literally all the reports say he wants to move to us for reasons I’ve already stated. Literally none of the reports say “Varane is keen to stay at Madrid if they give the the right money”. It’s the opposite, he’s not interested in negotiating because it’s not about the money.

I’m really not sure what else you’re looking for.

It's very lazy to conclude that his pace will be an issue about this transfer without understanding how the player plays just because he has pace.

Not really. If player has desired characteristic x that will disappear in three years time, he's a worse buy than a player that has desired characteristic y that won't disappear. The fact Varane and Rio had both x and y doesn't really alter that basic maths. Hence you'd buy 25 year old Rio for more than 32 year old Rio.

Clearly he's a good player though right now. Would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

It’s pretty unambiguous with this transfer, literally all the reports say he wants to move to us for reasons I’ve already stated. Literally none of the reports say “Varane is keen to stay at Madrid if they give the the right money”. It’s the opposite, he’s not interested in negotiating because it’s not about the money.

Not sure this proves much as he'd say this either way. He's not exactly going to say 'don't worry it's a massive Ramos inspired bluff by my agent.'
Anyway I hope we get him.

Varane was never reliant to his pace just because he has pace. Pretty much like Rio Ferdinand, Rio wasn't reliant to his pace alone just because he has pace. Using your logic on Varane, you could use it on Rio Ferdinand and calling him as a pace player, how long did he survive in top level of football?

Poor example? I remember rio falling off fast at 30-31.

That was more to do with his back I think. If it wasn’t for that, there’s no reason he couldn’t have maintained his high level.

Rio was 30 in 08 and we reached 2 more CL finals after that while setting records along the way?
The early 30s Rio was at the height of his legendary partnership with Vidic.

Out injured.

We need to move to a more modern system, please see my formation below:

_____________Henderson
____Lindelof__Varane__Maguire
Trippier______________________Shaw
_________Tielemans__Pogba
___Greenwood__________Sancho
______________Rashford

Status
Not open for further replies.