Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This either has the capacity to be a VVD like signing, creating an unreal defensive unit, or an unmitigated disaster. I don't think there is a middle ground.

For United news he usually get it correct. He is usually dismissing most of the report hence he isnt liked by Transfer Muppets at all
I've always found the dismissive attitude towards Luckhurst a bit weird. Sure he gets the odd team news wrong but he's mostly on the money. Plus he's always present at Ole's press conferences. If he was writing totally baseless stories, I don't think the club would allow him that kind of access to the manager. Every journalist, especially one covering football news, will get stuff wrong but I don't think he's a total fraud. I'd consider him quite a decent source.

I've always found the dismissive attitude towards Luckhurst a bit weird. Sure he gets the odd team news wrong but he's mostly on the money. Plus he's always present at Ole's press conferences. If he was writing totally baseless stories, I don't think the club would allow him that kind of access to the manager. Every journalist, especially one covering football news, will get stuff wrong but I don't think he's a total fraud. I'd consider him quite a decent source.
MEN don't have any sources and their transfer news rarely comes to fruition.

MEN don't have any sources and their transfer news rarely comes to fruition.
Because they rarely publish "Exclusives" for names no one has heard like some of the other tabloids do. The fact that he has been on the Varane case so strongly for months suggests to me he does have a source on this one. Anyway, we will know within a month or so whether they are right on this or not.

Wasn't Luckhurst the one who got the Matic transfer right?

Di Marzio and Bouhafsi linked us heavily with Fabinho and I think he was the one who insisted we weren't in for him.

Even with 1 year left of his contract - €50 million isn't a bad deal for a player of his quality

Yeah considering the age and the level of the player, and forget the fact his contract has one year left and they would lose him for NOTHING. How convenient.
How convenient indeed. It’s almost like they are the selling club trying to negotiate as big a price as possible. Very suspicious.

Yeah considering the age and the level of the player, and forget the fact his contract has one year left and they would lose him for NOTHING. How convenient.
I mean Pogba is in the same boat with us, would you sell him for 45million euros?

The sources I personally trust most are all pretty much claiming there is interest but many hurdles if it were to happen

I hope we have a plan B because if Varane falls through, nothing else seems particularly imminent. We normally have the 30 day "monitoring" dance before anything significant happens. So we would need to start that dance soon.

I mean Pogba is in the same boat with us, would you sell him for 45million euros?
45m and I'd bite your hands off mate.

Anything is better than losing him for nothing next year. Not only the money but we'll be the laughing stock of the entire football world for years.

For both players, their value is obviously decreased due to the 1 year remaining. 50m for Varane seems steep in a COVID market when they lose him for nothing next year, I think the 45m offer is even excessive but this is football it's crazy. If we can get over 60m for Pogba it will be a great deal for us, I suspect we'll get shafted... he might even go for nothing.

45m and I'd bite your hands off mate.

Anything is better than losing him for nothing next year. Not only the money but we'll be the laughing stock of the entire football world for years.
You might do, and Madrid might also give in too, but its unsurprising they're trying to squeeze as much as they can muster for a player of his calibre, certainly this early into the window. Its feasible Madrid might crumble and let him go for around the 45million mark, but at this point they wouldn't feel pressurised just yet.

The biggest issue is we haven't heard credible sources stating unambiguously that Varane wants to join us. It still seems to be a question of whether Madrid pay him what he wants. So "given permission" to speak to him means little in this situation.

The biggest issue is we haven't heard credible sources stating unambiguously that Varane wants to join us. It still seems to be a question of whether Madrid pay him what he wants. So "given permission" to speak to him means little in this situation.
Tell us you haven’t really been following this transfer saga without telling us you haven’t been following this transfer saga.

Tell us you haven’t really been following this transfer saga without telling us you haven’t been following this transfer saga.

All you have to do is share a credible French journalist stating this. Even English journalists have been emphasising that United our circumspect about this being not another Ramos situation and would take it slow. Spanish sources have been emphasising this more which can easily be posturing by real Madrid to give message to player that they are quite prepared for him leaving.

You might do, and Madrid might also give in too, but its unsurprising they're trying to squeeze as much as they can muster for a player of his calibre, certainly this early into the window. Its feasible Madrid might crumble and let him go for around the 45million mark, but at this point they wouldn't feel pressurised just yet.
Tbh I don't mind at all if we pay 50m for Varane. He's worth it imo and it's 5m not 50m apart.

Imo Varane would cost around 80m in a normal market, he has one year left and it's Covid, they badly need cash. So 40m is reasonable, 45m is quite generous imo. Same for Pogba, he could cost around 100m a normal market, so 50m is reasonable. But he definitely won't renew with us so 45m is still very good.

Anyway not my money, no big deal I just don't like how conveniently they suddenly forgot all their disadvantages and talked like this is a normal deal. We have the upper hands not them. Never like to do business with such people, very annoying.

Same boat but Pogba is a better player / bigger superstar. If they both had 3 years left on their contract, based on the tournament Pogba had and what he can bring to a team there's no way their prices would be the same. If Pogba is being touted at around the £50 million mark then I think €45 million for Varane is a fair price. I think its also generally in line with investment in Sancho given his age and years left on his contract.

There's only a few clubs who can afford Varane's transfer fee and wage and I think united are an improving team that he knows he would improve further so that would also add a little more weight to United's negotiations.

All you have to do is share a credible French journalist stating this. Even English journalists have been emphasising that United our circumspect about this being not another Ramos situation and would take it slow. Spanish sources have been emphasising this more which can easily be posturing by real Madrid to give message to player that they are quite prepared for him leaving.
I really can’t be arsed trudging through weeks and weeks of tweets to catch you up but there is numerous credible sources from press in England, France and Spain saying that Varane has wanted to move to the EPL for a few years now and Zidane has been there to persuade him. It’s Ancelotti there now, a manager he didn’t have a great relationship with last time around. Real are at the start of a new cycle which isn’t the most exciting prospect for a 28 year old that has already won everything he possibly could there, multiple times.

Add on top of this the salary they offer him not reflecting his status as a player and within that club and it’s not hard to see why he’s decided it’s time to move on.

Sounds too good to be true.

Quickly getting in and securing world class targets. :nervous:

James Robson :( He's that jerk in school who leaned over your shoulder and stole your exam answers. Knows absolutely nothing, piggybacking off Stone/Luckhurst etc

This has the feeling of being on pause, just like Sancho. I think it's done. Madrid wanting 50m even though credible reports said we bit that last week. Say its 45m instead to keep it on ice so 5m isnt a huge difference that panics fans.

So what's the thinking - have Real learned from the Ramos and Ronaldo tactics of the past and are calling Varane's bluff, or is this just his agent keeping the story alive with leaks until he gets back from holiday and they work-out his renewal?

Seems to me like we’re being used as a bargaining chip for Varane to get a new improved contract at Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.